Can We Have A "don't Like" Button Please?

Gsxrnz

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been there done that. Didn't work out. System abuse via cliques getting together and ganging up on someone, grudges held, member just not liking another member and going after them with Don't Likes, etc. Takes a lot more to get a member to Like someone than to Dislike on Thaivisa. biggrin.png

I think all posts made by a TV mod would get a dislike (except that one) biggrin.png

Edited by MJCM

Been there done that. Didn't work out. System abuse via cliques getting together and ganging up on someone, grudges held, member just not liking another member and going after them with Don't Likes, etc. Takes a lot more to get a member to Like someone than to Dislike on Thaivisa. biggrin.png

There is a limit on likes, couldnt there be a even smaller limit on "dont like"?

• Like 1

I take your point. It's a pity really that disliking or disagreeing with something somebody says automatically implies that the person themselves are "disliked". There are a few posters that I regularly "like", but on several occasions have also disagreed with their points of view, and said so. It's the destructive and abusive comments I find it hard to tolerate - good old intelligent disagreement and argument are healthy and I enjoy it. Abuse and bickering are a waste of everybody's time.

• Like 1

There is a limit on likes, couldnt there be a even smaller limit on "dont like"?

There is. Zero. laugh.png

• Like 1

Could save a lot of postings and bandwidth. The usual suspect cliques team up now too, to counter their `attacks` there is the like button.

I am all for it.

By the way what you wrote says a lot about a part of the Thaivisa population, always improving the(ir) world by being ever so nice.

There is another option. If you see a post that you don't like simply ignore it.

Because ignoring something implies passive agreement - therefore I'm suggesting an alternative. I didn't realise the subject had been raised before or in fact that there has been a "dislike" button on TV in the past.

Maybe I should have asked for a "I respectfully don't agree" button instead - more PC an' all that! biggrin.png

• Like 1

There is another option. If you see a post that you don't like simply ignore it.

Because ignoring something implies passive agreement - therefore I'm suggesting an alternative. I didn't realise the subject had been raised before or in fact that there has been a "dislike" button on TV in the past.

Maybe I should have asked for a "I respectfully don't agree" button instead - more PC an' all that! biggrin.png

I don't assume that people tacitly agree with what others have written.

If something is so unconscionable that you cannot stand to see it in silence, then you should be able either to easily refute it, or report it as offensive.

SC

• Like 1

Often, someone posts something that I could not have said better myself, so "Liking" it shows that. No need for me to post, because the original post says it all.

On the other hand, sometimes someone says something that I find objectionable. Simply disliking it doesn't

, so unless the previous post is so blindingly foolish as to be absurd, then generally a response greater than "No it isn't", or "dislike", is required. I do try to avoid being directly abusive, though, whether to other posters or to third parties. I find that abuse rarely encourages improvement.

SC

Thanks for the comments, I like your perspective. Love that youtube link by the way - classic Monty Python humour!!

Why bother ? The mods have those buttons and they use them and they are expected to their job properly.

In case you're a 'wannabe-police' perhaps better apply for becoming a mod, if your workpermits are in order. :)

Why bother ? The mods have those buttons and they use them and they are expected to their job properly.

In case you're a 'wannabe-police' perhaps better apply for becoming a mod, if your workpermits are in order. smile.png

Nuh, not a "wannabe-police". Haven't got the metal to be a Mod, haven't got a work permit, and I'm a lazy git at the best of times.

I take your point. It's a pity really that disliking or disagreeing with something somebody says automatically implies that the person themselves are "disliked". There are a few posters that I regularly "like", but on several occasions have also disagreed with their points of view, and said so. It's the destructive and abusive comments I find it hard to tolerate - good old intelligent disagreement and argument are healthy and I enjoy it. Abuse and bickering are a waste of everybody's time.

It is a pity, indeed for those who consider a poster unlikable after a dislike.

Jingthing had a big campaign to get rid of the one that we used to have. Please don't get him riled up all over again. crying.gif

Bugger!! I usually find myself in agreement with many (not all) of his posts. Didn't know he lead the campaign to have it removed. Oh well, thanks for the info - do you think I should go and dig out my old tin hat and gasmask and hunker down for the duration. coffee1.gif

Jingthing had a big campaign to get rid of the one that we used to have. Please don't get him riled up all over again. crying.gif

Well it would be a subject for a poll which would make sense.

Anyone?? rolleyes.gif

Maybe we could all agree to use the 'Like This' button as a 'Don't Like' button. tongue.png

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

We also need an 'Irony' button. It might save us from all these content-free emoticon replies.

• Like 2