Can We Have A "don't Like" Button Please?

Gsxrnz

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been there done that. Didn't work out. System abuse via cliques getting together and ganging up on someone, grudges held, member just not liking another member and going after them with Don't Likes, etc. Takes a lot more to get a member to Like someone than to Dislike on Thaivisa. biggrin.png

Very much in agreement with OP's thoughts.

Was it a "dislike", or "dislike this"? Dislike is ambiguous as could mean the purpose or the person. I disagree with personal insults. But "Dislike this" is very clear that it's the post. So maybe worth a rethink. As some people have stated above, nasty people just make a nasty post and then others like the nasty post. Same result, so the abusive people don't lose out in any way.

I don't like the idea of a "dislike this" reducing a "like this". they should be two separate buttons, with two separate totals. Life isn't a drab colour of grey, it's wonderful tapestry of diverse opinions

What I would say about the decision to remove it, is that it's a sad day when minorities restrict freedom of views. So the implication is that, either:

- We are giving in to a minority who will always cause problems, causing the majority lose out; or

- The majority of people on here aren't nice or mature enough to post

Either way a sad reflection of TV. I'd like to think people are better than that. Like to think it, that is. What you're telling me is I'm probably wronglaugh.png

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

The minority highlighted the opportunity for abuse, and I think that the forum management took the view that the abuse was not justified by the benefit, and decided to get rid of the feature - quite rightly, in my view.

The Like feature has the advantage that wen someone posts something foolish, other <deleted> self-identify.

SC

• Like 2

Do what you would do normally, if you don't like something just say so to the person or just ignore them.

Or do you like to press something if you're speaking to someone, or twist their nose, or poke them in the eye, or.....(not forgetting special forces), something much worse?

Just man up and tell them.

Jingthing had a big campaign to get rid of the one that we used to have. Please don't get him riled up all over again. crying.gif

The policies of this forum are determined by the ADMINS of this forum.

I am just another poster who has the right to express my OPINIONS just like anyone else.

Beyond that, I ain't touching this DEAD HORSE topic with a 10 foot POLL.

beatdeadhorse.gif

Do what you would do normally, if you don't like something just say so to the person or just ignore them.

Or do you like to press something if you're speaking to someone, or twist their nose, or poke them in the eye, or.....(not forgetting special forces), something much worse?

Just man up and tell them.

On the other side..

With prisoners of war this is actually being used as a means of torture.

Being tied up to a tree they will show an I-pad with the prisoners' own youtube page to him. Then they will mercilessly dislike their posts until he can't take it anymore.

Jingthing had a big campaign to get rid of the one that we used to have. Please don't get him riled up all over again. crying.gif

I am just another poster who has the right to express my OPINIONS just like anyone else.

beatdeadhorse.gif

It's not a horse, it's a dog, and that's not the way to wake him up. Not unless you're a faster runner than me

cheesy.gif

There is another option. If you see a post that you don't like simply ignore it.

Because ignoring something implies passive agreement - therefore I'm suggesting an alternative.

No it doesn't. What if you haven't actually read the post? Am I passively agreeing with all the posts in the footie forum that I never read? I don't think so.

Been there done that. Didn't work out. System abuse via cliques getting together and ganging up on someone, grudges held, member just not liking another member and going after them with Don't Likes, etc. Takes a lot more to get a member to Like someone than to Dislike on Thaivisa. biggrin.png

Very much in agreement with OP's thoughts.

Was it a "dislike", or "dislike this"? Dislike is ambiguous as could mean the purpose or the person. I disagree with personal insults. But "Dislike this" is very clear that it's the post. So maybe worth a rethink. As some people have stated above, nasty people just make a nasty post and then others like the nasty post. Same result, so the abusive people don't lose out in any way.

I don't like the idea of a "dislike this" reducing a "like this". they should be two separate buttons, with two separate totals. Life isn't a drab colour of grey, it's wonderful tapestry of diverse opinions

What I would say about the decision to remove it, is that it's a sad day when minorities restrict freedom of views. So the implication is that, either:

- We are giving in to a minority who will always cause problems, causing the majority lose out; or

- The majority of people on here aren't nice or mature enough to post

Either way a sad reflection of TV. I'd like to think people are better than that. Like to think it, that is. What you're telling me is I'm probably wronglaugh.png

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

The minority highlighted the opportunity for abuse, and I think that the forum management took the view that the abuse was not justified by the benefit, and decided to get rid of the feature - quite rightly, in my view.

The Like feature has the advantage that wen someone posts something foolish, other <deleted> self-identify.

SC

biggrin.png

I think our Gsxrnz means; to get rapped over this post, and not to get raped over this post. Although perhaps it`s just wishful thinking on the OP`s part?

Good idea, it would certainly make the posts more interesting.

How about introducing a few button categories? There could be; Loved - Liked - Disliked - Detested - and hope the poster gets blown up in a nuclear holocaust buttons?

My point is that, Like is enough, otherwise it could go on and on.

Edited by Beetlejuice

I know of other forums which have like and dislike button, but they have a system in place that controls that you give more than 1 like or dislike to the same member.

Something like if you give a reward/unreward to a member, you can't give him the next one before you have commented 2 other members. That together with the daily limit restricts very much the issue of abuse in one or the other way.

beatdeadhorse.gif

Dislike this! Just joking JT. wai2.gif

The problem that I see is some people have their minds made up on any given topic and are not open to debate, or to see any other point than their own. There is almost always two valid but opposing points to any topic. Unfortunately, some people add 2 + 2 and come up with an answer of 22.

I don't care if there are likes or dislikes. I know there will always be opposing sides.

However, when debates go on long enough you can soon learn a lot about some people and how they think. Even nasty comments can be a valuable lesson learned if you don't allow yourself to get upset. As an elderly friend keeps telling me, all his best stories come from things he doesn't want to repeat.

• Like 1

Often, someone posts something that I could not have said better myself, so "Liking" it shows that. No need for me to post, because the original post says it all.

On the other hand, sometimes someone says something that I find objectionable. Simply disliking it doesn't

, so unless the previous post is so blindingly foolish as to be absurd, then generally a response greater than "No it isn't", or "dislike", is required. I do try to avoid being directly abusive, though, whether to other posters or to third parties. I find that abuse rarely encourages improvement.

SC

Nail on head here.....the real question is how can we encourage posters to be posting more informative and quality posts?

Over to you Ray....

Well, Allan, I think we should be encouraging, supporting, even, those posters to post in the relevant forums

fora, Ray

Fora, where they have their own expertise.

Where we're ignorant, we should keep our cake-holes shut, Allan, You won;t catch me commenting on the Champion's League...

• Like 1

Maybe we could all agree to use the 'Like This' button as a 'Don't Like' button. tongue.png

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

We also need an 'Irony' button. It might save us from all these content-free emoticon replies.

Sorry, this is my first content free emoticon reply, just found the comment slightly amusing but had nothing of consequence to add

• Like 1

I think our Gsxrnz means; to get rapped over this post, and not to get raped over this post. Although perhaps it`s just wishful thinking on the OP`s part?

Good idea, it would certainly make the posts more interesting.

How about introducing a few button categories? There could be; Loved - Liked - Disliked - Detested - and hope the poster gets blown up in a nuclear holocaust buttons?

My point is that, Like is enough, otherwise it could go on and on.

No, our Gsxrnz did intentionally use the word "raped" and not "rapped", in a metaphorical sense of course.

And contrary to my initial expectations I am rapt (pun intended) that the comments and views of many posters are in agreement with me, and it would appear that as many are in disagreement. Irrespective, the dialogue has been constructive and the critique has been balanced, virtually without exception.

Some posters have highlighted perspectives of a Don't Like button that I hadn't considered, but taking all observations into consideration I still believe it's a good idea in principle.

Perhaps the one decisive factor is that this forum has previously had this functionality and according to many posters it was abused, which would suggest that its reintroduction would result in a similar outcome - leopards not being able to change their spots etc.

The one thing I can't quite get my head around is that many members seem to relate the "like" or "dislike" button to the actual person, as opposed to what was said in the post that is being liked/disliked.

Why just limit the options to 'like' and 'don't like'?

Let us know exactly what you think of someone's post.

Strongly like

Moderately like

Moderately don't like

Strongly don't like

F*cking idiot

No opinion

• Like 1

If there was a dislike button, the Moderators would use it more than the posters.

Often, someone posts something that I could not have said better myself, so "Liking" it shows that. No need for me to post, because the original post says it all.

On the other hand, sometimes someone says something that I find objectionable. Simply disliking it doesn't

, so unless the previous post is so blindingly foolish as to be absurd, then generally a response greater than "No it isn't", or "dislike", is required. I do try to avoid being directly abusive, though, whether to other posters or to third parties. I find that abuse rarely encourages improvement.

SC

I reckon if we had a dislike button I would beat theblether. biggrin.png

Bet you would not beat me.

SJ%2520likes%2520this.jpg

I should get one made with Don't Like.... or better yet.... "Why am I reading this?" button,blink.png ..... because a whole thread on some topics is just rubbish, bah.giftongue.png

What is rubbish to some people is not always rubbish to another.