Report: Thai Educational Visa In Singapore.. Is A Bad Move - 2013

Just wanted to reported quickly on what happened me in Singapore the other day (23rd May 2013)....

Long story short we arrived in Singapore on Thursday and quickly found out the embassy would be closed that Friday (my mistake). I had a severe chest infection thanks to a dodgy pharmacist in Phuket, so I was already feeling very poorly.

Going to the embassy was pretty easy (just behind Orchard station) and we went inside with all our paper work. There was only one woman working (think she was Muslim) so it took about 40 minutes of queuing. I coughed constantly whilst standing there.

We eventually presented everything but the lady quickly started asking demanding questions that if we did not get exactly correct then bye bye visa.... Here are just some of the questions ->>

"How many hours are you currently doing in school?"

"Why are you not doing more hours?"

"How many hours have you done so far?"

"How many hours will you study in that school?"

"What do you do outside of the language school in your spare-time?"

"Why do you really want this visa?"

"Where does your money come from?"

"Can you show me your bank book up to date?"

"Can you show me proof where the money in your country comes from?"

"What is your flight number out of the country?"

We had everything 100% correct UNTIL she landed this one -

"Your flight number is on Saturday, and you won't get a visa until Monday. Which means this flight number you've written down is incorrect. This means you need a new flight number for Monday. And without a new flight number your visa will not be processed today... So you will need to come back on Monday with your new number and apply again, and you may then get your visa on Tuesday if it meets approval"

We asked if we could talk to a superior and see if anything could be done to help our situation (I was very sick and really wanted to get home and fix myself). She said she was the only person in charge and nobody else would talk to us. We even offered to pay double in visa fees but she said it didn't matter.

I was too sick to keep hanging around Singapore so we decided to just head home. The embassy lady was very polite in fairness, but extremely strict and kept hitting us with questions going into more and more detail as if we did something wrong.

The people ahead of us all got refused visas too, one woman was denied a visa because she wanted to get cosmetic surgery and the woman in charge said she didn't need 2 months to recover and rejected her medical visa. A man after her had the same problem as us with a flight number and another person didn't have proof of income with them, they were all told to come back Monday the same as us.

My last ED was from Kuala Lumpur and it was a much better experience, very straight forward and none of these questions, in fact I remember not exchanging one single word with the staff there) it also worked out alot cheaper.

I hope this report helps the ThaiVisa community.

I might be missing something but I don't understand why you had to apply for a new one in a different country if you already have a ED Visa? (Assuming that you have just finished your 12 months and are applying for another 12 months)

Once you have your first ED Visa then the following 12 months are processed in BKK, you do not need to leave the country

I got my first ED Visa 3 years ago, got it extended in BKK for the following 2 years (12 months each time) and will get it extended in BKK again next month, my school takes care of all this for me

Indeed why are you going to a Consulate for an ED visa if you are already doing study on an ED visa? Is the school not approved? Normal procedure is to extend your stay at immigration (every year, six months, three months depending on location and type of school). Can understand the third degree on a repeat ED visa request for this reason if you did not explain why first.

Sounds to me like a lesson in not being prepared and having personal issues than anything to do with the embassy in Singapore. You were sick (not their fault), you didn't know their business hours (not their fault), you booked a ticket back without allowing time for them to process visa (not their fault), they asked you questions during a visa application for a visa type that is commonly abused (not their fault you find this odd), you flew outside the country to extend a EDU visa (not their fault).

In the future you might be better served to come here first and ask some questions rather than coming here after the fact to complain because you didn't do any research first. I feel for your troubles and would be great if you came here and shared these experiences as a warning to others as opposed to blaming your problems on the embassy.

PS. You obviously didn't have everything 100% correct.... seems you had a number of issues incorrect right down to when the embassy is open which in turn didn't even allow you enough time in Singapore to get the visa .... I would say you were pretty far from having everything 100% correct.

Although another story (i'm sure), I am curious how a pharmacist gave you a chest infection? Did you go in for cough drops and instead he gave you chest infection pills? Or maybe you decided not to go to a doctor to get diagnosed but instead a pharmacist who doesn't provide exams, as every knows, because they are not freaking doctors.

And what in the heck does the women's religion at the embassy have to do with your self inflicted problems?

Actually after reading the post again I don't think the OP is blaming the Embassy, he just came here to report what happened

• Like 2

We need to be warned to see when the embassy will be open; not to use a druggist in Phuket; how to answer simple questions? Come on.

Better to take and consider any warning - then not to receive one at all! For example, I for one will avoid druggists in Phuket (actually better to avoid Phuket completely!) LOL

Actually after reading the post again I don't think the OP is blaming the Embassy, he just came here to report what happened

When I read the OP I was wondering whether he is actually studying in Thailand and if so at what school and what documents from the school he had with him. There sees to be nothing about that in the OP.

I suggest reading it one more time starting with the title. It is my experience that people who blame their problems on others tend to run into more problems than others. Not saying the OP does this on an ongoing basis in life but this was obviously a bad day for him personally and appears to have caused him to be irritated by others.

The extra questioning is the only real comment from the OP that possibly reflects the embassy in Singapore (or Muslim looking embassy workers??) but I am leaning towards believing this may also have been self inflicted and a bit exaggerated given his troubles and attitude this day. However, it will be more informative if others share any recent experiences they have had at this embassy regarding an EDU visa.

Edited by Nisa

Self inflicted? Somehow the OP made the embassy in Singapore stricter than others? I've seen the lady he speaks of make applicants cry! They wouldn't issue me a tourist visa because I didn't have a paper ticket arriving in Thailand. Paper ticket? What airline mails those these days? I couldn't get one from Air Asia so I went back the next day and snuck past the paper work checker. The lady at the window told me my printed itinerary was fine.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

Self inflicted? Somehow the OP made the embassy in Singapore stricter than others? I've seen the lady he speaks of make applicants cry! They wouldn't issue me a tourist visa because I didn't have a paper ticket arriving in Thailand. Paper ticket? What airline mails those these days? I couldn't get one from Air Asia so I went back the next day and snuck past the paper work checker. The lady at the window told me my printed itinerary was fine.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

Since when do you need to have a plane ticket to be issued a Tourist Visa ... especially from a country you can drive or go by boat. Are there any countries that tells people to buy a plane ticket before being approved for a visa to travel to that country??? Again, sounds like user error or a huge lack of details missing from the story / claims.

Sorry to be skeptical but when things don't add up, like the OP saying everyone ahead of him was refused visa but told to come back Monday, skepticism seems appropriate.

Edited by Nisa

Some consulates will want to see a plane ticket to and from Thailand before they will issue a (tourist)visa.

I believe for a Schengen visa you must show a ticket when you apply for the visa, but I could be wrong on this.

• Like 1

Air ticket is an MFA requirement for any tourist visa issue - Consulates often wave this requirement for first world travelers or home country nationals but not all do.

2. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED
- Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months
- Visa application form completely filled out
- Recent( 4 x 6 cm.) photograph of the applicant
- Evidence of travel from Thailand (air ticket paid in full)
- Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)
- Consular officers reserve the rights to request additional documents as deemed necessary

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

• Like 1

Air ticket is an MFA requirement for any tourist visa issue - Consulates often wave this requirement for first world travelers or home country nationals but not all do.

2. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED
- Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months
- Visa application form completely filled out
- Recent( 4 x 6 cm.) photograph of the applicant
- Evidence of travel from Thailand (air ticket paid in full)
- Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)
- Consular officers reserve the rights to request additional documents as deemed necessary

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

They obviously appear to waive it too in neighboring countries where hundreds if not thousands get tourists visas weekly and assume they do let people come on a tourist visa who travel by other means such as car, boat and train. But I do stand corrected as it appears to be listed as a requirement... just as proof of finances is required but probably only asked about when somebody gives them a reason to scrutinize the traveler.

And since this is about the Singapore Embassy requirements .... It appears they don't need an actual paper ticket as stated according to their own website at http://www.thaiembassy.sg/tourist-visa

1. One completed and signed visa application form

2. One recent passport-sized photograph (3.5 x 4.5cm)

3. Passport (valid for no less than 6 months)

4. Airline ticket or confirmation slip with flight number and date of entry/exit

5. Evidence of adequate finance ($1000 per person and $2000 per family)

6. Visa of a third country in a passport or travel document

I guess based on #6, if I am reading/understanding this right, if you have not ever got a visa or gone to another country you also are not going to be getting a tourist visa for Thailand. Would again guess this is also one of those requirements that only comes up for select people.

Edited by Nisa

Normally that would mean your ticket must be to a country that allows you entry - be it by a visa you have, home country, or visa exempt/VOA status for your passport.

Personally, I just don't put too much stock into these official Thai sites and find the info you guys share here much more reliable and more real world. I've never gone to the embassy in Singapore but go to Singapore and may find myself one day going to the embassy there and it would be nice to know if the embassy is sometimes really tough. Although I am skeptical of both posts relating negative experiences, 2 Skepticals vs. no positive experiences shared does make me wonder if it is an embassy to be avoided.

As for line #6 ... based on your link, I am guessing they mistakenly copied it over from the Transit Visa requirements.

What the embassy wants for a tourist visa is a ticket out of Singapore. That has appeared in several reports that mention the embassy in Singapore. You can find a couple here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/189375-latest-reports-of-getting-a-visa-in-the-region/

The Singapore Thai embassy has been reported many times over the years as not always being friendly. It is not on my list as a suggested location for getting a visa.

If OP had all the required documents for the visa the questions asked were way more than what would normally be expected in my opinion.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

whistling.gif Ah yes, the old Moslem woman in the Thai consulate in Singapore.

She is known to many who try to get visas in Singapore, and there are many stories about her and her probing questions.

You just had the bad luck to encounter her on a bad day.

As i said, she is known.

whistling.gif

Sounds to me like a lesson in not being prepared and having personal issues than anything to do with the embassy in Singapore. You were sick (not their fault), you didn't know their business hours (not their fault), you booked a ticket back without allowing time for them to process visa (not their fault), they asked you questions during a visa application for a visa type that is commonly abused (not their fault you find this odd), you flew outside the country to extend a EDU visa (not their fault).

In the future you might be better served to come here first and ask some questions rather than coming here after the fact to complain because you didn't do any research first. I feel for your troubles and would be great if you came here and shared these experiences as a warning to others as opposed to blaming your problems on the embassy.

PS. You obviously didn't have everything 100% correct.... seems you had a number of issues incorrect right down to when the embassy is open which in turn didn't even allow you enough time in Singapore to get the visa .... I would say you were pretty far from having everything 100% correct.

Although another story (i'm sure), I am curious how a pharmacist gave you a chest infection? Did you go in for cough drops and instead he gave you chest infection pills? Or maybe you decided not to go to a doctor to get diagnosed but instead a pharmacist who doesn't provide exams, as every knows, because they are not freaking doctors.

And what in the heck does the women's religion at the embassy have to do with your self inflicted problems?

-------------

Just to make it clear i'm NOT siding with the OP against the Thai consulate in Singapore.

I was just stating that this particular woman in Singapore is a known quantity for being a stckler for the rules exactly and she questions every detail minutely.

And, it just happens that she is a Muslim .... as many others have confirmed over the years.

She's been there for years.

• Like 1

The pharmacy gave me the wrong pills. I went to the doctor the next day and showed him and he warned me off seeing alot of pharmacies in Phuket as they hire staff with no knowledge. I mentioned this for 2 reasons -

1.) So people may be abit more careful about where they get medication.

2.) So readers would understand how the embassy wouldn't bend the rules to help me out. It was purely to illustrate my personal situation.

My paperwork was 100% correct the flight number was my only issue. But seeing as you went through my personal paperwork I'll take your word for it.

Why did I mention she was Muslim? So people might know who I was talking about, I don't see what the problem is.

Why do you talk to people in such a condescending tone? I'll never know.

I might be missing something but I don't understand why you had to apply for a new one in a different country if you already have a ED Visa? (Assuming that you have just finished your 12 months and are applying for another 12 months)

The reason was the school didn't have our paperwork on time to get the extension (we went in 5 weeks ahead of time) but they couldn't provide us the paperwork for the 1 year extension as they were changing school names. We got the first part from Kuala Lumpur and to get back onto the ED visa we had to leave Thailand, this time we fancied seeing Singapore instead.

**Please Note** nothing in my OP has been exaggerated, if you don't believe me then go take a trip yourself (Singapore is a very nice place and has a great airport) , but from what I seen I'd advise people to hit KL for visas instead, it was just alot more easy going there.

Going to the embassy was pretty easy (just behind Orchard station) and we went inside with all our paper work. There was only one woman working (think she was Muslim) so it took about 40 minutes of queuing. I coughed constantly whilst standing there.

Malays prefer to be called "Malays" and not "Muslim" - yes it may very well be their religion but really not needed to identify her - other members would pick up just as easily had you omitted the "Muslim" part in favour of "Malay"

"Your flight number is on Saturday, and you won't get a visa until Monday. Which means this flight number you've written down is incorrect. This means you need a new flight number for Monday. And without a new flight number your visa will not be processed today... So you will need to come back on Monday with your new number and apply again, and you may then get your visa on Tuesday if it meets approval"

Did she ask what your flight number was or when your flight was?

Unless the airline you flew does not operate daily to SIN (and she knows this to be true) there'd be no reason for her to ask this question. Or did she ask to see your ticket and thus was made aware of your actual departure date?

Suffice to say, next time, do your homework, including studying of Thai public holidays...