State Of Origin Games 1, 2 & 3

2184i0j_20.jpeg

State of Origin Games 1, 2 & 3

Teams for the 2013 sides will be announced over the week-end

Will bring you the info as it comes available.

Show your passion, support your state.

It's Mate against Mate

Bring it On !

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Origin Game One: NSW vs Queensland – 5 June 2013, 8.05pm AEST

Origin Game Two: Queensland vs NSW – 26 June 2013, 8.05pm AEST

Origin Game Three: NSW vs Queensland – 17 July 2013, 8.05pm AEST

That's 5.05 pm in Thailand, by the way.

• Like 1

NSW State of Origin team named on Sunday at Rugby League Central.

setWidth200-Z-NSWBlues-VB.png

1. Jarryd Hayne (Eels)

2. Brett Morris (Dragons)

3. Michael Jennings (Roosters)

4. Josh Morris (Bulldogs)

5. Blake Ferguson (Raiders)

6. James Maloney (Roosters)

7. Mitchell Pearce (Roosters)

8. Paul Gallen (Sharks, capt)

9. Robbie Farah (Tigers)

10. James Tamou (Cowboys)

11. Ryan Hoffman (Storm)

12.Luke Lewis (Sharks)

13. Greg Bird (Titans)

Interchange

14. Kurt Gidley (Knights)

15. Anthony Watmough (Manly)

16. Andrew Fifita (Sharks)

17. Trent Merrin (Dragons)

Here

It's a real amateur naming of the list.

It does however express the sentiments around the player selections.

Some good commentary here

The Maroons will name their side on Monday night.

Edited by David48

187771_16348873695_1810373332_n.jpg

XXXX Queensland Maroons Game 1 team

1. Billy Slater (Melbourne Storm)
2. Darius Boyd (Newcastle Knights)
3. Greg Inglis (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
4. Justin Hodges (Brisbane Broncos)
5. Brent Tate (North Queensland Cowboys)
6. Johnathan Thurston (North Queensland Cowboys)
7. Cooper Cronk (Melbourne Storm)
8. Matt Scott (North Queensland Cowboys)
9. Cameron Smith © (Melbourne Storm)
10. David Shillington (Canberra Raiders)
11. Nate Myles (Gold Coast Titans)
12. Sam Thaiday (Brisbane Broncos)
13. Ashley Harrison (Gold Coast Titans)
14. Corey Parker (Brisbane Broncos)
15. Matt Gillett (Brisbane Broncos)
16. Ben Te’o (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
17. Chris McQueen (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
18. Daly Cherry-Evans (Manly Sea Eagles)
19. Josh Papalii (Canberra Raiders)

Coach: Mal Meninga

Here

Injury Update ...

QLD ...

Maroons winger Darius Boyd has been cleared of serious injury but remains in doubt for the series opener.

The Melbourne Storm’s Justin O’Neill is on standby.

Here

NSW ...

Kurt Gidley has been ruled out with a foot injury, with a replacement named on Tuesday.

Here

Haven't Queensland won the last 20 games or something?

Something like that ... whistling.gif

But having started the OP ... I have to show some level of fairness.

I know BookMan you are an AFL fan ... but are you temped to tune and watch.

Consistently it's one of the most watched programs on Australian TV!

Haven't Queensland won the last 20 games or something?

Something like that ... whistling.gif

But having started the OP ... I have to show some level of fairness.

I know BookMan you are an AFL fan ... but are you temped to tune and watch.

Consistently it's one of the most watched programs on Australian TV!

These days, if i watch any League game it is the State of Origin. I don't mind Rugby League but recently, I could be totally unaware if State of Origin was on or not. I might have watched game 3 last year. I think that was a decider? Being from NSW, the fact we havent been winning...well...we all like a winner, right? biggrin.png League does have some amazingly talented players and it can be exciting to watch

For those interested in AFL, there is a thread on ThaiVisa here: Everyone welcome smile.png

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/543333-australian-rules-football-for-the-aussies-in-thai/page-33?hl=%2Baustralian+%2Brules#entry6445527

WARNING:-

The rating on this could be described as 18+ (but it's not)

Do not open if the lack of political correctness offends or you have an aversion to swearing

You have been warned ... rolleyes.gif

The bizarre thing is that I didn't go searching for this one.

I opened my YouTube account to upload some media

and it was the one that there were promoting so it

must pass muster within the Australian Laws.

@ rick75 ... sorry mate, I don't know, I'm not in Thailand at the moment.

Maybe someone else to advise? StreetCowboy?

EDIT ... rick75, see this post

Grandstand's Peter Wilkins and NRL video referee Luke Patten preview game one of the State of Origin.

HERE

If you like some pre-game analysis of Game!

Don't forget ... 4.30 PM Thai Time! 5 PM Kick-Off

Edited by David48

The 34th year of the interstate rugby league war known as State of Origin

gets underway at Sydney's Olympic Stadium tonight.

4029454-3x2-700x467.jpg

It's a familiar scenario. The New South Wales Blues are desperate to break the stranglehold on the series held by the Queensland Maroons who have stretched their reign to seven successive years.

The build-up to Origin appears to become more intense every year despite the players assuring their fans they are completely relaxed.

Don't you believe it. Underneath the public front the nerves are tremendous, for the players are preparing for the biggest game of the year so far.

HERE

The games are being distributed by Setanta, which in turn is distributed on the True Sports channels; I don't know which one specifically for the SOO games (post on another thread says channel 117). If you're on the malaysian Astro package, Astro Supersports 2 or 3 (Channel 816, if I recall correctly).

Also anywhere you can get Setanta on the web...

SC

• Like 1

My thoughts on the game ...

QLD played with 12 men most of the game ... NSW should have.

QLD - 12 men - ?? Well, where the <deleted> was Inglis?

Sure they cut his ball supply off, but he went MIA.

So many times he could have rucked the ball out from their line when the QLD Forwards were struggling to get back onside.

Jonathan Thurston went into the game injured and that was obvious by his mobility and lack of a kicking game.

NSW 1st try should have never been scored as Tate never touched the ball, hence didn't knock-on. The scrum ensured and NSW scored.

No complaints though with the try ... nice move and well executed.

Indeed, I reckon that the NSW Forward Pack won it in the 1st half ... they dominated.

Plus the 2nd try by Jennings ... weak defence from QLD ... but ... WOW ... great strength and resolve by Jennings to score ... all credit to him for the solo effort.

Definitely a no try to Cameron Smith ... he was desperate.

I was surprised by Justin Hodges game, played well in a beaten side.

Anyone know who got Man of the Match?

I seen Paul Gallen interviewed on the Footy Show and other programs and he has really impressed ... but tonight he shamed himself.

He should have got at least 10 mins in the bin and maybe will get a 2 - 4 week holiday ... I know that Origin is tough, but that was disgusting.

Can QLD bounce back for the 2nd game ... possibly.

They won the 2nd half after being smashed in the first half.

Maybe in front of the parochial QLD crowd, the QLD forwards might lift.

Assuming that it's a dry night, the Australian QLD backline might get a better run.

All in all, no sour grapes from this QLD supporter ... NSW deserved their win ... wai.gif

Go the mighty, mighty f@@kin BLUES !!!! Absolute demolition tonight. Not just the forwards. Thurston perhaps his quietest Origin game ever??

The "big three" nowhere to be seen. Again this comes down to playing behind a beaten pack. C. Parker QLD's best. The strength he has for a little man amazes me.

Yes I must admit (for a few seconds) our captain was gone. Deserved the bin? Not so sure, seen some of the greatest Origin fights with no bin.This is Origin no one will be sent off.

Man, some of the pub fights I had when smashed as a young fella would have been a joy aiming at a head the size of Myles!! Definately no hay-makers or hitting a wall! Me thinks he will tackle with his arms the next few, not use that unfair advantage he has in his melon.

If not, well we all know the enforcer will get him again !

P.s I always reach fever pitch a day or two before this event by relieving the passion/fights from the past. For those unaware, here is a few to wet your whistle; the commentary makes this!

And this is the good old days before political correctness set in. One of the greatest club fights ever!!! My mighty Manly dishing to those clowns from Newtown.

Or this one of our boys dishing to those poor tin shed boys from the west on our own turf!

^^ I'm not sure it's the Biffo that I find attractive about the game ... dry.png ... but each to their own.

I've played, loose head prop, tight head prop (in the days that we had 'proper' scrums) but ended up in the 2nd row as I played taller and larger men.

It's a hard man's game for sure though and I thoroughly enjoyed the games early 10 or 15 minutes ... or, more fondly known as the 'softening up' period.

As for being sent off ... Gordon Tallis and Craig Greenhill (both QLDers have been sent off in SofO Games).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who missed the game a highlights package.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCRwUvOO6n8

NRL 2013 State of Origin Game 1 Highlights: NSW v QLD

Enjoy ...

Edited by David48

I'm not into rugby, AFL for me but usually watch the SOG's.

I watched yesterdays game. Can some of the followers explain

to me how someone can punch a guy in the head several times

and not be sent off?

I'm not trying to be funny, but what is the sin bin

used for.......manslaughter?

I know the AFL has been sanitized too much, but I reckon that's

plain assault. In the AFL, that guy would cop 14 or more weeks

I reckon.

I'm also betting that not much in the media will be said as no one

will want to appear "soft".

Personally, I reckon the game is hard and tough enough without that sort

of stuff.

Just a non-followers observation.

Regards

Will

• Like 2

^^ I agree that he should have had some time off to cool his heels ... maybe even an early shower (sent -off).

But it's the divide.

The ABC news commentator mentioned a bias and that he should have had a holiday ... he's a QLD'er but reading the National Bulletin.

The ABC sports news commentator said, nah - that's Origin - he's a NSWelshman reading the national sports report.

It is what it is.

I don't encourage it, I don't endorse it. Bikkii above endorses it.

I wonder what the reporting would have been should the roles been reversed ... whistling.gif

OH ... what does it take to be sent off during a State of Origin Game?

During the 2000 series Gorden Tallis was sent off for calling the referee a cheat ... and was sent off.

Here

Those two contrasts in action by the officials simply adds fuel to the fire of the Interstate rivalry.

^^ I agree that he should have had some time off to cool his heels ... maybe even an early shower (sent -off).

But it's the divide.

The ABC news commentator mentioned a bias and that he should have had a holiday ... he's a QLD'er but reading the National Bulletin.

The ABC sports news commentator said, nah - that's Origin - he's a NSWelshman reading the national sports report.

It is what it is.

I don't encourage it, I don't endorse it. Bikkii above endorses it.

I wonder what the reporting would have been should the roles been reversed ... whistling.gif

OH ... what does it take to be sent off during a State of Origin Game?

During the 2000 series Gorden Tallis was sent off for calling the referee a cheat ... and was sent off.

Here

Those two contrasts in action by the officials simply adds fuel to the fire of the Interstate rivalry.

During Origin I certainly endorse it. So do 90% of people watching the game. Ever been in a pub/club or a lounge room with your mates watching back in Oz and seen the excitement generated by a good controlled biffo?? The place erupts.

It is by far the most passionate game we have in Australia for player and supporter. For 80mins we hate the QLD'ers, for 3 weeks after that we will drink together again until the next game! At least we don;t have the problem of the soccer hooligans in our code.

As a non-Aussie, but who spent time in Australia and enjoys watching NRL, I want to comment on the dust-up with Gallen.

In any other sport (except maybe for boxing) he would have been gone gone gone, and I think that is right. American football or Euro soccer, gone.

I don't want to watch a drunk fighting in a bar at 2:00 AM, and that it what Gallen looked like to me.

I really admire the athletic ability of these guys - an incredible combination of strength and speed.

But if you are a professional athlete, act like one. Not like a drunk in a bar. I don't think it is about interstate rivalry, I think it is about being a top athlete

Edited by californiabeachboy

As a non-Aussie, but who spent time in Australia and enjoys watching NRL, I want to comment on the dust-up with Gallen.

In any other sport (except maybe for boxing) he would have been gone gone gone, and I think that is right. American football or Euro soccer, gone.

I don't want to watch a drunk fighting in a bar at 2:00 AM, and that it what Gallen looked like to me.

I really admire the athletic ability of these guys - an incredible combination of strength and speed.

But if you are a professional athlete, act like one. Not like a drunk in a bar. I don't think it is about interstate rivalry, I think it is about being a top athlete

I think there's danger of sanitizing the sport and taking away things which makes it such a great thing to watch. It's a contact sport played at high intensity and every now and then, players are going to let off steam and throw a couple of shots. It happens in Rugby union, ice hockey, Aussie Rules. It's usually a flash in the pan and over within seconds. The players calm down, shake hands after the game and move on. I think there should be penalties and fines but nothing excessive. Another point is the scourge which has hit football (association) that is players getting others sent off for minimal contact or what the referee sees as violent intent. It's a grey area which has ruined many a game and has changed that game in a negative way. i wouldn't want to see that in RL.as it would encourage more gamesmanship and acting up. They have already taken away the shoulder barge. It's a fantastic game but let's not damage it by reducing the intensity with the lawyers of this world getting involved.

It has already been sanitised enough. I started watching league in 1976 (a year after my first West Ham game, oddly as I lived in Sydney) and it was much dirtier. But in order to attract big money sponsors and for mothers to let their kids play, they had to clean it up.

Same in football. Used to love seeing Frank Lampard, the real one, socks rolled down making his presence felt. Same with Julian.