English Words That Are Difficult To Pronounce Words For Thais ?

is there a list of common English words that are difficult to pronounce for Thai speakers.

Everyday words and business use.

I am trying to help someone who speaks decent English but needs some help pronouncing some words .

Thanks for your help

Edited by BKKdreaming

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aspiration is the key for many English words. The Thai language finishes the majority of words with a closed mouth. If they learn to aspirate at the conclusion of an English word that ends in a consonant or an s, it makes a huge difference.

• Like 1

There are whole books written on this subject, but one word that caught me a few times was "Sah Cotland" (Scotland), "Sah Wensens" (Swensens).

When I first arrived here, I asked a tuk-tuk driver to take me to Global House hardware complex. He was puzzled, asked a few others, and eventually the light came on: "AHHHH. Globan Hau"!!

Got it.

BKK Dreaming: if you PM me, I'll scan and send you some pages on "Thai Speakers" from a chapter on "Thai Speakers".

I hear some Thais speak English either not well or funny but at least they are speaking. My girlfriend has a laughing fit on my pronunciation of some Thai words. I have been known to butcher some Thai words.

• Like 2

I hear some Thais speak English either not well or funny but at least they are speaking. My girlfriend has a laughing fit on my pronunciation of some Thai words. I have been known to butcher some Thai words.

Quite agree . If the Thais are having problems with" r" and " l" and sometimes "h" etc and sounding funny then it the same when we speak Thai and fail with the tones and completly change the meaning of the word. Same same but different .

Edited by xen

I find they have difficulty in saying "I'll pay for that" but maybe it is just me.

I've often wondered about that.

I recently did a long car trip with some Thais, and suggested we pool some money (kitty) to pay for tolls and fuel.

I was politely ignored, and as I had no wish to be the resident ATM, had to ask for their share of the money most times and at tolls.

"Thank you" seems to be very rarely used, and I can cook a good dinner (hopefully) or take friends to see a movie. Almost never is there a word of thanks and I'm left with the feeling that the two legged ATM has been used once again. sad.png

"l" at the end of a word and "v" all the time

Thai's don't have a letter for V - the nearest is wor waen ว and they often (if not always) omit sala e ิ when it is at the end of a word eg: Suvarnabhum(e).