English Words That Are Difficult To Pronounce Words For Thais ?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A case can be made that a big part of it is the mechanics. For example, if you demonstrate to a native Thai speaker that the English 'th' sound requires the tip of the tongue to make contact with the upper front teeth you're halfway there. Same goes for most other sounds (like a 'v' calls for the upper front teeth to touch the lower lip). It's just that if a particular English sound doesn't exist in Thai, people have never learned how to produce it. Sometimes the hardest part is convincing them that they can. So instead of simple repetition (often frustrating) maybe try concentrate on the mechanics of producing unfamiliar sounds. It can be more effective.

This is not too dissimilar to how they try to teach us farangs Thai in the pronunciation of some of their more complicated characters (such as gnor gnu) and the vowels!!!

Exactly. Interesting though, that farangs can usually pronounce 'ng' fine...as long as it's not an initial sound.

A case can be made that a big part of it is the mechanics. For example, if you demonstrate to a native Thai speaker that the English 'th' sound requires the tip of the tongue to make contact with the upper front teeth you're halfway there. Same goes for most other sounds (like a 'v' calls for the upper front teeth to touch the lower lip). It's just that if a particular English sound doesn't exist in Thai, people have never learned how to produce it. Sometimes the hardest part is convincing them that they can. So instead of simple repetition (often frustrating) maybe try concentrate on the mechanics of producing unfamiliar sounds. It can be more effective.

This is not too dissimilar to how they try to teach us farangs Thai in the pronunciation of some of their more complicated characters (such as gnor gnu) and the vowels!!!

Exactly. Interesting though, that farangs can usually pronounce 'ng' fine...as long as it's not an initial sound.

Its all that singing they do!!!wai2.gif

Did you try "she sells sea shells by the sea shore"? smile.png

Actually quite easy as all of the sounds are present in Thai language.

Really??

Please give an example of where the "sh" sound is present in the Thai language

An "s" sound never appears at the end of a word in Thai, coupled with the fact that no word ends in an "L" sound, it makes it very difficult for Thais to pronounce "Shells"

A particular sound not being a part of a person's native language does not mean that person cannot say it. Given good tutoring and possessing the will to succeed, anybody on the planet can pronounce any sound in any language properly,

It's simply a matter of dedication and a good teacher. Unfortunately, most Thais have neither, hence the marked pronunciation difficulties.

• Like 1

Did you try "she sells sea shells by the sea shore"? smile.png

Actually quite easy as all of the sounds are present in Thai language.

Really??

Please give an example of where the "sh" sound is present in the Thai language

An "s" sound never appears at the end of a word in Thai, coupled with the fact that no word ends in an "L" sound, it makes it very difficult for Thais to pronounce "Shells"

A particular sound not being a part of a person's native language does not mean that person cannot say it. Given good tutoring and possessing the will to succeed, anybody on the planet can pronounce any sound in any language properly,

It's simply a matter of dedication and a good teacher. Unfortunately, most Thais have neither, hence the marked pronunciation difficulties.

Yes, I agree, but my post was disputing that all the sounds in the sentence exist in the Thai language already.

R and L seem to cause some Thais to look as if they are attempting to bite their own face off.... and the positions you use for these sounds are very

close to similar Thai sounds. It took my missus so much work to get her pronunciation correct but she does really quite well.

Th Sounds like There Though Through all seems to get the same treatment. So it sounds off.

And the end of words seem to go missing, can be very difficult to get what is being said. Especially if its a hard sound on the end like the word That. The T would be lost.

Actually i noted this too with Singaporeans with Two and Three, they would utilize the same position of the tongue when saying either of those words. And it leads to common misunderstandings when I or them use these numbers.

they have 'pombem' pronouncing any words starting with an "S' followed by a consonant

satop

sanake

sanack, etc.

on another note, the word VIRUS; it sounded like 'by-laws' to me.

Its not a problem, it is how the Thai rules define the saying of these words.

If they are learning English and want to be understood, it *is* a problem.

When I am learning Thai, I don't make excuses about English-speaking rules as they are applied to speaking Thai (i before e except after c...). I try to learn how to pronounce Thai words as closely to the way a Thai speaker would pronounce them. So IMHO - Thai people learning to speak English should do the same. wai2.gif

According to a program I saw on the BBC, that old "i before c..." business is no longer taught in schools, as there are so many exceptions.

Write down the numbers 17, 70, and 20 on a piece of paper and ask them to read these numbers out aloud.

You will be surprised that they will pronounce them all the same. . .

same goes with 25 and 75 . . . . !

Edited by crazygreg44

Write down the numbers 17, 70, and 20 on a piece of paper and ask them to read these numbers out aloud.

You will be surprised that they will pronounce them all the same. . .

same goes with 25 and 75 . . . . !

Sewenteen sounds nothing like tawenty

I think Thais can pronounce most of the words. Bad commercials (advertisement) and media gave them bad accent...like express = ach-prede, even Thais graduated from USA or England sill say the word "management" wrong..

Sometimes, I have to speak English in Thai accent to make Thais understand what I say.

Edited by SunnyBkk

It amazes me when I see the many adverts on TV for Truemove H. The H sounds like "Edge"

As Edge is a pretty poor internet connection, you'd think that they would try to get the pronunciation correct

I think Thais can pronounce most of the words. Bad commercials (advertisement) and media gave them bad accent...like express = ach-prede, even Thais graduated from USA or England sill say the word "management" wrong..

Sometimes, I have to speak English in Thai accent to make Thais understand what I say.

I had the same problem teaching Italians.

Waving my arms around didn't seem to work.

Hi....just got back on TV , and have only read the last page but I see many ideas,

I just do not know how long they will last before they go crazy or head explodes :)

But I will read all of the replies and take notes ,

Keep it going......thanks

From my experience, Thais have problems, among other things, pronouncing the "st" combination, usually leaving out the "s". So
"fast" becomes "fat"; "cost" becomes "caught"; etc. And of course the "x" at the end of a word is usually replaced with a "k".

Combining these two mispronunciations: I ran into one of my students at a mall a few days ago and to make conversation, I asked her what she was doing there. She replied that she was there to watch the movie "Fat Sick". At first I thought it was a movie about some unhealthy overweight person. Then I realized she meant "Fast and Furious 6".

Crisps...as in what Americans call potato chips. I've had fun on a number of occasions trying to get Thais to say this word. Usually they can manage 'crips' pretty easily but the 'sps' bit at the end always bet them.

Ever heard a Thai say Chesters Grill? It comes out like cheSTUH Giw....I think it sounds cute, especially when its being said by a young lass in a tight little university uniform!

Once I asked for directions and was told about a place called "wet coat" - it didn't make any sense to me until I arrived at a shop called "West Coast".

All joking aside I am teaching first graders and it all starts with "one, too, tee, for, fai, sick...".

Unfortunately Thai teachers teach terrible pronunciation, words like "appen", "bisicken" and "footbon" are repeated and remembered. It is difficult to change that but if a good teacher tries hard enough it can. I growl at my students like a dog "rrrrrrrrr!" and they are having fun. They crack up saying "vvvvv!" in a big group but once they got it, they use it right. About ten out of 45 will use it right from then on.

As mentioned consonant combinations are butchered, words with rt, st, lm ususally end up with only one consonant. "three" is a very difficult word for them. What I really found difficult to understand is that "s" often turns to "t" as in bus "but" or horse "hort", or: "My name it..." and then the other way around: "hot" turns into "hoss" and "good" turns into "goose". How can you mix up s and t?

Maybe the answer is obvious if you know their language which I don't.

When I studied Japanese it all became clear to me. They have a syllable system, using "ma, me, mi, mu, me, mo", "ka, ki, ku, ke, ko" aso and are fitting foreign words into that. So "McDonald's" ends up being "Ma-ku Do-na-ru-do."

BabyGnu.pnggnu

2631197-snake.jpgngu

Edited by Briggsy

• 2 weeks later...