Outlook Express 6

Kan Win

Hi Folks,

Been having a problem with me Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP.

Sometime ago I did manage to compress all folders, now I Kan-not compress the Inbox one, all others are compress nicely and no problems.

The program says, at the end of the compression that the Inbox is being used by another program, however there are no other programs being used.

Anyone had this problem ? A cure is needed.

Thanking you all for taking your time out to answer this question. wai.gif

Win thumbsup.gif

This may shed some light !!

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-networking/cannot-compact-outlook-express-folders-folder-in/061dc2a5-5a00-49a5-bd82-7f2454eeb6e6?msgId=3fbe7761-4cfd-4b8d-a790-8e8c48f402ea

Excerpt:

This is a well known bug that won't be fixed. Just compact manually.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no

folders are open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working

Online in the Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't

touch anything until the compacting is completed.

Compact Your OE Folders:

http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm#compact

Ps: How big is your Inbox folder ? 2GB is max. size.

PsPs: Before doing anything make a Backup !!!

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

Hi MJCM,

Inbox size is 1.30 hence I would like to compress it as I have deleted a lot of mails and could not compress it.

Well it did work and Thank you Very BIG, however only after the second try as I knocked off the button marked

When Outlook Express starts, go directly to my
Inbox.

With it being off that did the trick together with me Aunty Virus also being turned off. Now down below 1.0 mark.

Thanking you for helping me out once again MJCM, wai.gif You are a Super Saver off space.

Win

P.S.

PsPs: Before doing anything make a Backup !!!

Thank you for the added info as one always makes backups on a daily basis. It is good of you to inform other members who are reading this thread as well as to let me know also.smile.png

Yours as always,

Win from Kan thumbsup.gif

Edited by Kan Win

Hi MJCM,

Inbox size is 1.30 hence I would like to compress it as I have deleted a lot of mails and could not compress it.

Well it did work and Thank you Very BIG, however only after the second try as I knocked of the button marked

When Outlook Express starts, go directly to my

Inbox.

With it being off that did the trick together with me Aunty Virus also being turned off. Now down below 1.0 mark.

Thanking you for helping me out once again MJCM, wai.gif You are a Super Saver of space.

Win

Very good links from MJCM. thumbsup.gif

I also use OE on XP and my Message Store is about 1.7 GB.

There are a few tricks you can do to make sure you don't have problems in the future.

One is, don't let OE compact folders automatically. To do this, you need to either compact manually yourself every few weeks, or you can monitor the registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{...big hexadecimal number...}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0

Look at the REG_DWORD called "Compact Check Count". If it gets to 100, OE will ask you to let it do an automatic compaction the next time it closes.

So I always set the value to 1 when it gets above 60 or 70 and then do a manual compaction.

If you want more tips, please say so and we can turn this into a "Good OE Housekeeping" thread. biggrin.png

Nope that did not work only to delete this years 2013 e-mails.

Good job I had me backups. So back to the drawing board. coffee1.gif

Win smile.png

Edited by Kan Win

Sorry to hear this.

Try this, move messages to a sub folder and try then to compact that sub folder , move more messages, compact etc etc till inbox is empty. And then move the messages back.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this.

Try this, move messages to a sub folder and try then to compact that sub folder , move more messages, compact etc etc till inbox is empty. And then move the messages back.

Hi MJCM,

Will try this way then. thumbsup.gif

Win wai.gif

Edited by Kan Win