I-Mobile Iqx/xa

damole

After using the IQX for not much more than a month, and having not added much more than half a dozen apps, found that my internal memory was down to less than 100MB and thus causing "not enough storage" messages to appear when updating certain apps. Moved over as many apps onto SD card as possible, and those that wouldn't let me, uninstalled updates to revert them to factory fitted status, but still struggling to increase memory much. Deleted all photos and videos, not that i think that helped as i believe they were stored on SD. Seems strange to have run into this issue considering the light usage the phone gets. Any suggestions?

Also, is it possible when downloading apps to choose what memory they get downloaded onto? Can't seem to see any options being given.

If you go into settings/storage there's an option for default write disc to either 'SD card' or 'phone storage'.

Thanks sumrit. Already had that option to write to SD card ticked, but when i install certain apps, like Facebook for example, they seem to end up on the internal memory, and when i click on the app info, the option to Move to SD Card is grayed out.

• Like 1

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anybody have an issue with the 16 GB SD card. I moved some music onto my card the other day via USB from my PC an now card is not visible to the phone. Everything else seems fine

It is normal for the phone to behave in this way especially with the memory card.Try reboot the phone+try again!

Sent from my i-mobile IQ X3A

After using the IQX for not much more than a month, and having not added much more than half a dozen apps, found that my internal memory was down to less than 100MB and thus causing "not enough storage" messages to appear when updating certain apps. Moved over as many apps onto SD card as possible, and those that wouldn't let me, uninstalled updates to revert them to factory fitted status, but still struggling to increase memory much. Deleted all photos and videos, not that i think that helped as i believe they were stored on SD. Seems strange to have run into this issue considering the light usage the phone gets. Any suggestions?

Also, is it possible when downloading apps to choose what memory they get downloaded onto? Can't seem to see any options being given.

If you go into settings/storage there's an option for default write disc to either 'SD card' or 'phone storage'.

Thanks sumrit. Already had that option to write to SD card ticked, but when i install certain apps, like Facebook for example, they seem to end up on the internal memory, and when i click on the app info, the option to Move to SD Card is grayed out.

I also have the SD storage options ticked and most of my apps are on the card except for the ones that were pre-installed - and these cannot be moved. But interestingly ThaiVisa is one of the installed apps that is in the phone memory and cannot be moved to the SD card.

I have quite a lot of apps and use them often (photo editing and Office Suite for business as well as most the social media - Line, FB, What's App, Tumblr, Flickr and of course Fartdroid!) - and still have 320 MB of phone memory available. I use the Cache cleaner now and then as photo-heavy apps such as Tumblr can have a 100 MB+ cache size.

The installed Cache cleaner pop-up can tell me I have 30-40 MB to free up .... but when I look at individual apps (Tumblr, FB, Flickr) they can have over 100 MB - so check your apps cache size.

iPhones and Android phones have the same issue over internal memory management so I don't think this is an iMobile issue?

By the way - just got a bright orange cover for my XA from iMobile in MBK for 129 THB - really wanted black but they only seem to come in really bright colours?

They also told me that the X2 will be in stock 15 October.

• Like 1

I also have the SD storage options ticked and most of my apps are on the card except for the ones that were pre-installed - and these cannot be moved. But interestingly ThaiVisa is one of the installed apps that is in the phone memory and cannot be moved to the SD card.

I have quite a lot of apps and use them often (photo editing and Office Suite for business as well as most the social media - Line, FB, What's App, Tumblr, Flickr and of course Fartdroid!) - and still have 320 MB of phone memory available. I use the Cache cleaner now and then as photo-heavy apps such as Tumblr can have a 100 MB+ cache size.

The installed Cache cleaner pop-up can tell me I have 30-40 MB to free up .... but when I look at individual apps (Tumblr, FB, Flickr) they can have over 100 MB - so check your apps cache size.

iPhones and Android phones have the same issue over internal memory management so I don't think this is an iMobile issue?

By the way - just got a bright orange cover for my XA from iMobile in MBK for 129 THB - really wanted black but they only seem to come in really bright colours?

Sounds like you are a heavier user than me and yet i have only just over 100MB of free memory. Started taking off things i would really rather not, just to try and clear some space. Weird. Something strange going on.

Just downloaded a cache cleaner app and managed to grab about a few MB, but that was it.

Re the Thaivisa ap, that is showing as being on the SD card on my phone.

Sounds like you are a heavier user than me and yet i have only just over 100MB of free memory. Started taking off things i would really rather not, just to try and clear some space. Weird. Something strange going on.

Just downloaded a cache cleaner app and managed to grab about a few MB, but that was it.

Re the Thaivisa ap, that is showing as being on the SD card on my phone.

Yes - something wrong. iMobile service center can reinstall the operating system and core apps while you wait. Worth a try? I had a problem created by a corrupt app (Google Play) which caused the phone to run slow and crash - reinstalling fixed the problem, but you need to have all photos on sd and numbers on sim to avoid losing data.

Yes - something wrong. iMobile service center can reinstall the operating system and core apps while you wait. Worth a try? I had a problem created by a corrupt app (Google Play) which caused the phone to run slow and crash - reinstalling fixed the problem, but you need to have all photos on sd and numbers on sim to avoid losing data.

IMO you (we) need root access to get the crap out and be able to swing phone only installed apps to the SD card.

As soon as I get my home internet line in I will hunt down a way to do it.

@revstar you need a computer.Your signature says IQ X3A have I missed something?Sent from my i-mobile IQ XA using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ooh..okok...yeap,IQ X3A is out...google it..

Is it true that it doesn't have an mSD card slot? How much memory is there for apps? I would think more given it's a 16GB phone.

Will take your advice and visit a service centre.

Out of interest, when i go to storage it shows on internal storage:

Available: 64MB (down from the 100MB it was showing yesterday for no apparent reason)

Apps : 283MB

Cached Data: 9MB

On the diagram, Apps and Cached memory used accounts for about a third of the line, available accounts for the remaining two thirds, which should surely mean available memory should be something like 600MB.

• Like 1

Must admit I'd not heard of iMobile before, or maybe just not noticed. I'm in need of replacement secondary phone and while I'm not happy to shell out iPhone prices for a phone that'll be used rarely I would like the phone to be a smartphone. I'm happy to spend around 10-12K THB.

Been looking at a few threads and the new X3A seems to be quite a phone for the price, 1.5 Quad core with a 5" screen and good resolution. Not sure of the price yet or whether I can get one in Phuket but I suspect it'll be 10K if possible. That said, in Malaysia (I move between the two countries monthly) I can get a new Samsung Galaxy S3 (from auth dealer with Samsung warranty) for about 11K.

Much as most of what I've seen seems positive about iMobile there does seem to be a fairly high frequency of problems, albeit mostly with the lower price models. The S3 though is a tried and tested device and while not quad core etc, it does have rave reviews. Still tempted to try the X3A though, if it turns out to be a bad call it's not (so) much down the drain.

A few weeks ago whilst I was still in the UK I bought a cheap, £1.50 SIM card cutter from EBay. I decided that as I have quite a few SIMs that it would be good to make them all micro sized and then use adaptors for putting them in full size slots. The trouble came because the cutter doesn't quite cut them exactly to size and it also leaves a bit of plastic from the SIM which is above the normal depth of the SIM. As the micro SIM is quite small it's is difficult to file or shave the extra bits off with a craft knife. Anyway I put one of the SIMS in the main full size SIM slot using an adaptor but when I tried to get it out because the SIM and adaptor weren't flush I managed to break off one of the SIM contact pins and rendered that SIM slot useless. The micro SIM slot has the clasp that opens to put the SIM in which I think is a much better design than the full size slot which on my phone is quite tight this means I will have to be very careful as I move countries and need to change the SIM in this slot. Still at this point I was happy that the micro SIM slot worked and that it also supported 3G data.

Now as I mentioned previously in this thread I hadn't been able to get the USB to work with a PC even though I could use it to charge.

Since getting back to Chiang Mai last week I took the phone to the i-mobile service centre in Airport Plaza and they said two days to fix it, I got a text from them in one and picked up my phone. They showed me the SIM slot working and assured me the USB was fine too. I got it home and it worked as it should. All in all a good experience and another tick in the i-mobile column.

I'd also experienced the problem of not having enough memory for all my apps but after a reset trying to fix my USB problem I found I had more space for apps than before, it could be because of one of the firmware updates I'd previously received or the way Android versions below 4.3 don't free up all the memory when removing apps. This time after getting the phone back from i-Mobile my firmware had been updated to 1.34 and I'm almost certain I have more memory than before. It seems they might have changed the partitions in this latest update so I'm attaching a photo from Titanium Backup. If someone on an earlier version could post theirs we can see if this is true.

post-38660-0-12673600-1381085501_thumb.p

post-38660-0-01730700-1381085530_thumb.p

I forgot to add that the new firmware now contains a USB connection option to connect as, 'Built-in CD-ROM', this drive contains the drivers for the phone. I installed them but ADB still didn't work then I installed the drivers from here and it still didn't work. I'm going to try it on another computer. I would really love to get this phone rooted.

Could somebody try to run ADB please?

Must admit I'd not heard of iMobile before, or maybe just not noticed. I'm in need of replacement secondary phone and while I'm not happy to shell out iPhone prices for a phone that'll be used rarely I would like the phone to be a smartphone. I'm happy to spend around 10-12K THB.

Been looking at a few threads and the new X3A seems to be quite a phone for the price, 1.5 Quad core with a 5" screen and good resolution. Not sure of the price yet or whether I can get one in Phuket but I suspect it'll be 10K if possible. That said, in Malaysia (I move between the two countries monthly) I can get a new Samsung Galaxy S3 (from auth dealer with Samsung warranty) for about 11K.

Much as most of what I've seen seems positive about iMobile there does seem to be a fairly high frequency of problems, albeit mostly with the lower price models. The S3 though is a tried and tested device and while not quad core etc, it does have rave reviews. Still tempted to try the X3A though, if it turns out to be a bad call it's not (so) much down the drain.

I think it will be closer to 9k THB and the X2 due out next week may be worth a look. The decider for me would be the dual SIM. If you value dual SIM then X, X2 or X3 are ideal. If that's not important for you then a good deal on a Samsung, HTC or Sony is worth a consideration. iPhone 4S also coming down in price now the 5 is out.

I chose the XA as it's similar spec to high end main brand phones (HD IPS display, quad core, 13 megapixel camera) and it has some added benefits (slim, light, 8 meg auto focus front facing camera, Android 4.2, dual sim and it was 8,800 THB). Some people have got a better deal than I did so cost can be even lower.

If you travel between Thailand and Malaysia - then dual sim will let you use local sims in both countries and still keep the other sim live.

• Like 2

Yah those SIM card 'converter' trays are a bloody menace. Will never use one again UNLESS it's in a phone where you place the sim car in the slot and then close a flap door over the top. Anyway in which the card has to be slid into place, for get it. We trashed a (luckily) older Samsung phone with one. My friend trashed an older iPhone (putting a micro sim back into a 3GS using a 'tray' adaptor).

No real need for a dual SIM phone. I use a 4S now as a main phone in Malaysia which'll do me until it dies (I don't find any iPhone update has compelling enough reasons for me to shell out and replace one until it's dying - I was given the 4S) and the new phone will be a replacement for my 'soon to die' 3GS that was the second phone. As a second and barely used phone I'm a bit reluctant to shell out Apple prices (or indeed Android flagship prices) but £150-200 is OK. The X3A does appeal but I've read of a few problems people have had with not getting updates to Android (generally) and also with memory getting eaten up.

Much as the X3A appeals, esp at around 9,800 baht I MIGHT just play safe and go for the Samsung S3 at 11,000 (in Malaysia), possibly greater peace of mind. Sure the S3 is older but still 1.4 quad core. Enought for what I want and, until the S4 came out, one of the top Android's.

• Like 1

@revstar you need a computer.Your signature says IQ X3A have I missed something?Sent from my i-mobile IQ XA using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Is it true that it doesn't have an mSD card slot?  How much memory is there for apps?  I would think more given it's a 16GB phone.

Just had a quick look at the site what's the main differences between the X, X2 and X3?

Sent from my i-mobile IQ XA using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Is it true that it doesn't have an mSD card slot? How much memory is there for apps? I would think more given it's a 16GB phone.

Just had a quick look at the site what's the main differences between the X, X2 and X3?

All dual sim and Android 4.2 with 18 meg (but 13 really) cameras:

X: 1.2 GHz Quad core 4.7 inch 720 HD IPS screen, SD card - around 8,700 THB or less now

X2: 1.5 GHz Quad Core. 5 inch full 1080 HD IPS screen, SD card - 9,940 THB when launched next week.

X3: 1.5 GHz Quad Core 5 inch full 1080 HD screen - no SD card, 16 GB internal ... possibly - this seems odd but that's what the spec says? 8,990 THB out now but I've not seen one on sale.

- Can anyone with an X3 confirm the memory spec?

- If anyone buys an X2 please post a review.

Still very pleased with my X and after using it for a while the battery life has improved so it will last a day of decent use (unlike an iPhone).

Gave away the IQ 5.1 as the non IPS screen was a bit washed out.

If you want large IPS screen phablet with dual sim have a look at the Lenovo A3000 - friend has one and I'm impressed with the spec and price.

• Like 2

One new issue i am having since having the phone repaired, is with the ThaiVisa App. Not sure if it is an issue with the App or the phone. What happens is i click on the ThaiVisa icon, it starts to load, and then quickly aborts saying failed to connect. Nothing too unusual about that. What is unusual is that in doing so, it disconnects me from wifi, meaning i have to manually reconnect, by going to the wifi icon. Any ideas? Anyone experience the same?

P.S. Don't use many other Apps that require internet connection, but those i do, seem ok.

One new issue i am having since having the phone repaired, is with the ThaiVisa App. Not sure if it is an issue with the App or the phone. What happens is i click on the ThaiVisa icon, it starts to load, and then quickly aborts saying failed to connect. Nothing too unusual about that. What is unusual is that in doing so, it disconnects me from wifi, meaning i have to manually reconnect, by going to the wifi icon. Any ideas? Anyone experience the same?

P.S. Don't use many other Apps that require internet connection, but those i do, seem ok.

Perhaps it's a bug by the app?Try uninstall the app and re~install again?

Is it true that it doesn't have an mSD card slot?  How much memory is there for apps?  I would think more given it's a 16GB phone.

All dual sim and Android 4.2 with 18 meg (but 13 really) cameras:

X: 1.2 GHz Quad core 4.7 inch  720 HD IPS screen, SD card  - around 8,700 THB or less now

X2: 1.5 GHz Quad Core.  5 inch full 1080 HD IPS screen, SD card - 9,940 THB when launched next week. 

X3: 1.5 GHz Quad Core 5 inch full 1080 HD screen  - no SD card, 16 GB internal ... possibly - this seems odd but that's what the spec says? 8,990 THB out now but I've not seen one on sale.

- Can anyone with an X3 confirm the memory spec?

- If anyone buys an X2 please post a review.

Still very pleased with my X and after using it for a while the battery life has improved so it will last a day of decent use (unlike an iPhone).

Gave away the IQ 5.1 as the non IPS screen was a bit washed out.

If you want large IPS screen phablet with dual sim have a look at the Lenovo A3000 - friend has one and I'm impressed with the spec and price.

Yes, IQ X3 do not have sd card slot option.16gb internal memory but useable only 10gb due to factory pre~installed apps.Can always delete the unesscessary apps though to increase memory.

It downloaded without any problems of not having insufficient memory to install apps most of the time...just like my previous iphone 4(16gb).

• Like 1

Went on a bit of a hunt for iMobile in Phuket today and drew a blank in several places except for what seems to be a few older / lower spec devices in places like Big C. No X3, no X2 no IQ9 anywhere. I was going to try and get a look at those three specific devices noting that the X2 has a Micro SD slot where the X3 doesn't. No joy in finding a dedicated iMobile shop/outlet either, at least not in Tesco Lotus and Central in Phuket Town. Gave up on it in the end. I suspect their store here might be in Big C in Phuket town, certainly not as their website says at Carrefour in Jungceylon that isn't even open any more.

Given the similarity in price I figure I'll be better sticking with more widely available (and likely more widely serviceable) brands like Samsung and LG where an S3 and a Nexus 4 can be had for not far off the same price as top end iMobile and especially given the difficulty in even finding their advertised high end phones. The Samsung and LG devices mentioned might be older but at least you can find them almost anywhere albeit in Thailand they are around 2,500 baht more than Malaysia. I'm in no rush and return to Malaysia in a few weeks so I'll bag an S3 then. As I split my time between here (LOS) and Malaysia anyway I figure I'd be better off with a Samsung anyway. Sure I suppose any phone shop would be able to take an iMobile apart if there was a problem I figure they'd be more familiar with Samsung. And in the first 12 months I'd likely need an iMobile Centre if it needed a fix, and Thailand only. Reckon accessories like cases etc will be easier to get for wider known brands too.

If the iMobile high end devices were 7k baht it might be worth a punt, but at almost the same price as an S3 I think the S3 is the more favourable option.

Edited by Pick of Penang
  • Like 1

Went on a bit of a hunt for iMobile in Phuket today and drew a blank in several places except for what seems to be a few older / lower spec devices in places like Big C.  No X3, no X2 no IQ9 anywhere.  I was going to try and get a look at those three specific devices noting that the X2 has a Micro SD slot where the X3 doesn't.  No joy in finding a dedicated iMobile shop/outlet either, at least not in Tesco Lotus and Central in Phuket Town.  Gave up on it in the end.  I suspect their store here might be in Big C in Phuket town, certainly not as their website says at Carrefour in Jungceylon that isn't even open any more.

Given the similarity in price I figure I'll be better sticking with more widely available (and likely more widely serviceable) brands like Samsung and LG where an S3 and a Nexus 4 can be had for not far off the same price as top end iMobile and especially given the difficulty in even finding their advertised high end phones.  The Samsung and LG devices mentioned might be older but at least you can find them almost anywhere albeit in Thailand they are around 2,500 baht more than Malaysia.  I'm in no rush and return to Malaysia in a few weeks so I'll bag an S3 then.  As I split my time between here (LOS) and Malaysia anyway I figure I'd be better off with a Samsung anyway.  Sure I suppose any phone shop would be able to take an iMobile apart if there was a problem I figure they'd be more familiar with Samsung.  And in the first 12 months I'd likely need an iMobile Centre if it needed a fix, and Thailand only.  Reckon accessories like cases etc will be easier to get for wider known brands too.

If the iMobile high end devices were 7k baht it might be worth a punt, but at almost the same price as an S3 I think the S3 is the more favourable option.

True but the S3 will be running slower than the X2 or X3 for sure.But if you don't mind that speed,it's still a worthwhile consideration.

• Like 2

As it's for a second phone I'm not that fussed. If there were 3-4k baht difference fair enough but at about 2K difference I feel more comfortable given that if I run into problems the user base is obviously wider.

I did find somewhere with an X today and having held it I think I like the feel of the S3 more. If the let-up in the recent torrential rains continues tomorrow and I'm a bit bored I may take the bike for a spin to Big C in Phuket Town and see if there is indeed an iMobile outlet there. Other than the speed increase (albeit a recent review I saw I think showed the S3 coming out faster) and the dual SIM slot (which I won't use) and maybe the camera pixels (which again I'm not that bothered about) I'm finding it hard to find good reason as to why I'd want to shell out the same amount of cash for a phone from a brand which is relatively unknown compared to the likes of Apple, Samsung and LG.

@Rev Star: As an aside, I did notice with the X that I saw that until I looked closely I couldn't see if there was actually a 'Menu' or 'Back' key to the left / right of the Home button as they were not lit up, as they do on the S3, it was only by turning the phone to an acute angle to the light that I could see the screen markings indicating where the Menu and Back keys were. Do these keys not light up on the X3?

Another thing that puts me off iMobile is what seems to be the lack of a notification light, I miss this on the iPhone too, compared to the Nokia 6510 I used to use way back in the dark ages. I didn't even need to pick the phone up to see if I had a missed call or SMS whereas now I constantly have to open the iPhone to see if I missed anything if I've been away from it or if it's been in my pocket where I'm unlikely to hear / feel it. Very useful in loud places all so. For me I'd rather have a notification light to tell me a DO need to open the phone rather than a finger print scanner that makes it easier to constantly do so.

Given that I prefer that more rounded edge feel of the S3/S4 to the hard edge feel of the X (or iPhone), the 6.2 might be a better bet. But, no notification light :( Foiled again.

• Like 1

@Rev Star: As an aside, I did notice with the X that I saw that until I looked closely I couldn't see if there was actually a 'Menu' or 'Back' key to the left / right of the Home button as they were not lit up, as they do on the S3, it was only by turning the phone to an acute angle to the light that I could see the screen markings indicating where the Menu and Back keys were. Do these keys not light up on the X3?

Another thing that puts me off iMobile is what seems to be the lack of a notification light, I miss this on the iPhone too, compared to the Nokia 6510 I used to use way back in the dark ages. I didn't even need to pick the phone up to see if I had a missed call or SMS whereas now I constantly have to open the iPhone to see if I missed anything if I've been away from it or if it's been in my pocket where I'm unlikely to hear / feel it. Very useful in loud places all so. For me I'd rather have a notification light to tell me a DO need to open the phone rather than a finger print scanner that makes it easier to constantly do so.

Given that I prefer that more rounded edge feel of the S3/S4 to the hard edge feel of the X (or iPhone), the 6.2 might be a better bet. But, no notification light sad.png Foiled again.

There's a menu option to turn on/off the illuminated menu buttons ..... but they are not very bright.

There's a blue flashing notification light on the X. Menu option to turn on/off.

I've not found my XA to have anything missing compared to other higher end phones .... but of course the brand is not as well known as the top phones. But I chose the IQX because I wanted a dual sim phone.

• Like 2

I submitted a contact form to i-mobile to ask if JB 4.3 would be coming to the IQX and was told it would never be available. If this is the case I am even more interested to see if I can root this phone so if anyone can try installing the drivers and trying to get adb to work I would be grateful to hear about it.

Also if someone could install Titanium Backup and upload the disk partition sizes of the various firmwares I'd like to see that too.

cheers

damole

• Like 1

I submitted a contact form to i-mobile to ask if JB 4.3 would be coming to the IQX and was told it would never be available. If this is the case I am even more interested to see if I can root this phone so if anyone can try installing the drivers and trying to get adb to work I would be grateful to hear about it.

Also if someone could install Titanium Backup and upload the disk partition sizes of the various firmwares I'd like to see that too.

I thought you needed root for Titanium?????

I thought you needed root for Titanium?????

You do for the backup/restore functionality to work but not just to display the partitions.

Edited by damole