U S Navy Sailors Caught In Phuket Taxi Blockade

webfact

US Navy sailors caught in Phuket taxi blockade
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- Taxi drivers have set up a blockade at Phuket’s Deep Sea Port, where the USS Nimitz and the USS Princeton are anchored.

According to reports, a contract dispute between rival taxi companies has led to the blockade.

A significant amount of money is at stake, with over 6,000 US Navy sailors in Phuket to enjoy shore leave.

When the USS Ronald Reagan was in port two years ago, some taxi drivers were reported to be asking sailors for up to 6,000 baht to transport groups to Patong (story here).

In June 2010, American sailors on three ships were subjected to another taxi blockade. That time, the sailors had been provided free transportation (story here).

That dispute ended when the drivers agreed with military, police and Wichit Municipality negotiators to return to an old agreement allowing the local taxis access to low-ranking US military personnel while only officers could take advantage of the free van service provided by an outside contractor.

The Phuket Gazette understands that Phuket Marine Office chief Phuriphat Teerakulpisut and a delegation from the Phuket Governor’s Office is en route to the Deep Sea Port to resolve the situation.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/US-Navy-sailors-caught-in-Phuket-taxi-blockade-21194.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-05-30

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Phuket Gazette understands that Phuket Marine Office chief Phuriphat
Teerakulpisut and a delegation from the Phuket Governor’s Office is en
route to the Deep Sea Port to resolve the situation.

Shouldn't that read--

en route to the Deep Sea Port to see if there is anything to be made from this situation.

• Like 2

A significant amount of money is at stake, with over 6,000 US Navy sailors in Phuket to enjoy shore leave.

a delegation from the Phuket Governor’s Office is en route to the Deep Sea Port to resolve the situation

So much money, so much seamen, a rather sticky situation. :(

• Like 2

I just shake my head at the stupidity/greed of these so called taxi drivers. I'm surprised the US navy came back after last time ....

The only reason I can think of is that is because Ubon Ratchatani doesn't have seaport .

Edited by jbrain
  • Like 1

According to another news source it are not tuktuk drivers but busdrivers, contracted for transporting the sailors. They claim not to have been paid and are blocking the road (yesterday evening and now again) in order to get paid.

Apparently the company chartered by the Navy, not Thai, has not paid any Thai transfers for months already, including Pattaya trips.

Looks like the Thais are getting screwed by foreigners this time. Even the admiral's driver is on strike.

• Like 1

An easy fix would be for the US Navy to politely explaing that if it should happen one more time the will be NO MORE visits from any US Navy ship to Phuket.

Cut your own throats by arrogance, greed and stupidity.

They have tried that one before.Doesn't work

As you say to stupid for words

The US navy bouncing checks? No wonder Bout never did business with them

No, US Navy has contracted local transport for the whole of SEA through 1 company, don't know where they are from. This company contracts local operators, local operators contract minibusdrivers. The first SEA contractor so far has defaulted and not paid anybody in Thailand for months already.

• Like 1

The Phuket Gazette understands that Phuket Marine Office chief Phuriphat

Teerakulpisut and a delegation from the Phuket Governor’s Office is en

route to the Deep Sea Port to resolve the situation.

Shouldn't that read--

en route to the Deep Sea Port to see if there is anything to be made from this situation.

No.

It should read, "Police are en route to arrest the offenders for obstruction of traffic and to remove their vehicles from the roadway."  

Or "People don't work for free, Thai drivers demand payment for their services"

Gangsters run the transport system and have government officials in their pockets apparently, so tourists and locals alike are held to ransom on this issue ALL the time, its only when a big boat turns up and it becomes newsworthy does the rest of the world find out about the extortionate manner of transport operations on Phuket. Lets just smile, say Mai Pen Rai and let the locals take us for all we are worth as usual... My friend in China said to me that the difference between Chinese and Thai is that Chinese will find the goose laying the golden egg and keep it until it can lay no more eggs then bake it up and eat it, Thai would just eat it and not worry that they lost all the eggs that might have come from it... same way they treat tourists, expecting that the ones they rip off today will be replaced by new marks tomorrow. Always enjoyable to observe the amazing Thailand experience, after 23 years it hasn't changed much coffee1.gif

I once read the Thais have the cunning of a fox and the strategy of a goldfish, I have since found that spot on.

PS: a goldfish has a 5 second memory span.

What was I trying to say?

And expats in Phuket have the memories of an Elephant. Your history follows you everywhere. Rip off a Thai and they have memories like elephants too

Edited by IrishIvan

No, US Navy has contracted local transport for the whole of SEA through 1 company, don't know where they are from. This company contracts local operators, local operators contract minibusdrivers. The first SEA contractor so far has defaulted and not paid anybody in Thailand for months already.

That would have to be a Thai contractor, wouldn't it? That would mean Thai's screwing Thai's, not foreigners screwing Thai's.

No, their contractor organising the transfers in the whole of SEA for the US Navy has not paid. Don't know where this company is from, could be Thai, but I would think US. And this company is not paying it's local operators.

Edited by stevenl

Gangsters run the transport system and have government officials in their pockets apparently, so tourists and locals alike are held to ransom on this issue ALL the time, its only when a big boat turns up and it becomes newsworthy does the rest of the world find out about the extortionate manner of transport operations on Phuket. Lets just smile, say Mai Pen Rai and let the locals take us for all we are worth as usual... My friend in China said to me that the difference between Chinese and Thai is that Chinese will find the goose laying the golden egg and keep it until it can lay no more eggs then bake it up and eat it, Thai would just eat it and not worry that they lost all the eggs that might have come from it... same way they treat tourists, expecting that the ones they rip off today will be replaced by new marks tomorrow. Always enjoyable to observe the amazing Thailand experience, after 23 years it hasn't changed much coffee1.gif

I once read the Thais have the cunning of a fox and the strategy of a goldfish, I have since found that spot on.

And expats in Phuket have the memories of an Elephant. Your history follows you everywhere

Expats have the memory of elephants and the cunning of rabbits, just ask the indigenous females.

PS: I am not from Phuket, no real value there for me.

PSS: Rabbits live in thorny bushes and get eaten by the fox

Edited by waza

That would have to be a Thai contractor, wouldn't it? That would mean Thai's screwing Thai's, not foreigners screwing Thai's.

No, their contractor organising the transfers in the whole of SEA for the US Navy has not paid. Don't know where this company is from, could be Thai, but I would think US. And this company is not paying it's local operators.

I'll bet the US contractor paid the Thai contractor and he's kept the money. smile.png

In any case, what do they expect anyone on the ship to do? It's not up to them to pay on behalf of the contractor.

Edited by NamKangMan

Gangsters run the transport system and have government officials in their pockets apparently, so tourists and locals alike are held to ransom on this issue ALL the time, its only when a big boat turns up and it becomes newsworthy does the rest of the world find out about the extortionate manner of transport operations on Phuket. Lets just smile, say Mai Pen Rai and let the locals take us for all we are worth as usual... My friend in China said to me that the difference between Chinese and Thai is that Chinese will find the goose laying the golden egg and keep it until it can lay no more eggs then bake it up and eat it, Thai would just eat it and not worry that they lost all the eggs that might have come from it... same way they treat tourists, expecting that the ones they rip off today will be replaced by new marks tomorrow. Always enjoyable to observe the amazing Thailand experience, after 23 years it hasn't changed much Posted Image

And expats in Phuket have the memories of an Elephant. Your history follows you everywhere
Expats have the memory of elephants and the cunning of rabbits, just ask the indigenous females.

PS: I am not from Phuket, no real value there for me. 

PSS: Rabbits live in thorny bushes and get eaten by the fox

Waza isn't a real Canadian sounding name.

I guess there is value left once you burnt all the bridges and had to bail.

I'll bet the US contractor paid the Thai contractor and he's kept the money. smile.png

In any case, what do they expect anyone on the ship to do? It's not up to them to pay on behalf of the contractor.

No apparently that is not what happened.

You didn't even know about the underlying issue but have determined what happened very quickly.

It is up to the navy contractor to sort this out. If I were the Thai party who did not get paid last time and also know that in Pattaya the same thing happened, services rendered but payment not received, I would also use my only option: stop providing the service and try to get payment for the previous services first.

No apparently that is not what happened.

You didn't even know about the underlying issue but have determined what happened very quickly.

It is up to the navy contractor to sort this out. If I were the Thai party who did not get paid last time and also know that in Pattaya the same thing happened, services rendered but payment not received, I would also use my only option: stop providing the service and try to get payment for the previous services first.

But then the mafia comes in and exhorts, cutting these contactors out and flattening their picket line.