Swedes Abandon Thailand As Tourist Destination

webfact

I would venture to guess that the TV program coming out in Sweden showing Swedes getting hurt in Thailand will not help...

Will be interesting to see the future of tourism here. There may be a lot tourists not coming anymore due to the extreme amount of Russian tourists. I know in Pattaya right now, if the Russians went away, this place would collapse. Notwithstanding the tour buses full of Chinese people gaping out the windows. If the Russian economy tanks, so will Thailand. The danger of single country tourists. I know the raw Chinese numbers are big, but I sure do not see them spending money around.. Maybe shopping at Emporium ??

I personally think the bar beer girl business is in a decline here. The Swedes were certainly a part of that. While you can certainly argue that that direct amount of money is small in relationship to tourism overall, it is first contact for farangs and Thai girls , and the basis for the incredible amount of money that is spent and sent to Isan villages.

I think this is just the start of the inevitable decline of Thai tourism, much of which can be blamed on Phuket.

There are many places around the world where a tourist can still get a warm welcome, but this isn't one of them.

Even those us who have been here ten years and more are fed up to the back teeth of the negative attitude that we see on a daily basis, when we are viewed as potential scam targets, as opposed to a source of valuable income for the nation.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Swedes like beaches and they used to flock to places like Phuket. But as my ex wife (Swedish) said to me, if she wanted to be surrounded by Russians she would have gone to Russia for her holiday.

And still had great warm beaches?

Swedes like beaches and they used to flock to places like Phuket. But as my ex wife (Swedish) said to me, if she wanted to be surrounded by Russians she would have gone to Russia for her holiday.

I believe the reasons mentioned in the article have some influence on the numbers, but yes, the number of Russians swarming into Thailand almost certainly is the main reason. Sure, I have no hard figures, but there is no missing the 1,000s of Russians no matter where you go.... Koh Chang, Kanchanaburi, Krabi, Pattaya, Phuket. Truth be told, most Russians make many people feel uncomfortable, myself included. While I have met a few fun/interesting independent travellers, the majority for whatever reason, want nothing to do with anyone else.

The unfortunate reality, is that very, very people like the Russians. It almost seems like they go out of their way to be unpleasant. Between their Cossack criminal heritage, making up a portion of their genetic pool, and their recent history with Stalin criminalizing decent behavior toward your neighbors, it is no wonder they have little, or no social skills. But, that as an excuse does not make them any more pleasant to deal with. I think I would rather deal with virtually any other element of society, than the average Russian tourist. I rarely meet one that is congenial, on any level.

But is that why there is a drop (or reported drop) in the number of Swedish tourists coming to LOS?

If the Russians are all over Europe too is there a direct correlation between influx of Russian tourists and reduction of Swedish tourists at other holiday destinations?

This is one of the most accurate statements.

Turkey was a popular holiday destination for Europeans, until the Russians arrived

Egypt was a popular holiday destination, until the Russians arrived

Thailand was a popular holiday destination, until...........................

Bingo.

Russians have driven several of my friends out of Phuket and Pattaya. I personally will not live around a lot of Russians and if they come to where I am now, I will leave.

Not to turn this into a Russian slam session, but very few people like them. Even the Thais strongly dislike them.

• Like 2

Turkey was a popular holiday destination for Europeans, until the Russians arrived

Bingo.

Russians have driven several of my friends out of Phuket and Pattaya. I personally will not live around a lot of Russians and if they come to where I am now, I will leave.

Not to turn this into a Russian slam session, but very few people like them. Even the Thais strongly dislike them.

Interesting comments. I was in Ko Chang recently and the German hotel owner and Thai manager where we were staying spoke very disparagingly of the Russians. Didn't want them as guests, didn't want them on the island.

I agree Pattaya would be a ghost town if not for the Russian tourists. Got to say though there were a lot of spunky young Russian girls around when I was there last month and they all seemed to be having a good time at the Russian run nightclubs in Walking Street & elsewhere.

Nothing wrong with Russians from council estates in Moscow using their money to impress everybody.

Wait a few years and the Chinese won't be just sitting in their buses open mouthed. They might even start spending.

One thing is for sure. The Thais don't like em.

And guess what.....

Good evening.

Swedes going to the USA for holiday. I would think you could stay home and be bored cheaper than going to the USA.tongue.png

Edited by rotary

If true, I think the OP is cause for concern. Yes, the Swedish like their drink and other services available in Thailand, but they spend money, don't go round kicking the crap out of people and make friends easily. The TAT should be courting them in my opinion.

The greatest band on the planet, Candlemass, is from there too...

I was holidaying in Ao Nang Krabi in March and the place was packed with Swedes,thousands of them on the beach,in the town of a night,they were by far the most represented Europeans in the resort.

Safety in numbers? Swedes, like Norwegians, are ghetto huggers. ... end yes, Russians too. But whereas the Scandinavians respectfully establish a community over decades, such as the Norwegian haven in Spain, the Russians on the other hand simply invade and displace, because they have the numbers, and the rudeness.

Edited by TechnikaIII
  • Like 2

But Thailand's such a remarkable place, no matter what happens things just keep going up and up !!

what goes up must come down ,........ thats a law in any language !,...........i don't think the tourism bubble will burst , it will just be a different make-up , unfortunately it will be made up of chinese , ruskies and indians , they all deserve each other , but count me out , my future plans are not to retire to thailand anymore, to a country that just bleeds and sucks you dry , my opinion of thailand has been on the decline for many years and now my dreams lay elsewhere ,........ spain or maybe even greece if the prices drop ... i remember greece being cheaper than thailand is now , <deleted> is the euro about ?? trying to bring wages of countries like greece in-line with western EU countries has forced europeans to go long haul to spend their holiday money , i will be happy to see this trend reverse and help spain and greece get out of the mess they are in , i will take a greek beach over a thai beach all day , much cleaner and beautiful clear waters ......hope the russians dont buy it all up before a recovery .

Maybe it's just me but I don't read reports about Russians shooting innocent tourists in the middle of the day in Phuket,plus smuggling drugs in and out and setting up clubhouses...maybe it's just me though?whistling.gif

• Like 1

Bingo.

Interesting comments. I was in Ko Chang recently and the German hotel owner and Thai manager where we were staying spoke very disparagingly of the Russians. Didn't want them as guests, didn't want them on the island.

I agree Pattaya would be a ghost town if not for the Russian tourists. Got to say though there were a lot of spunky young Russian girls around when I was there last month and they all seemed to be having a good time at the Russian run nightclubs in Walking Street & elsewhere.

Not so sure. One of the reasons that makes Pattaya so disagreeable to many is this massive Russian influx. If they were to leave whistling.gif then other people might start going back there.

very true , russians seldom piss me off cos i avoid them , i have met a dozen or more in LOS , all but 2 were ignorant ,loud n rowdy drunken <deleted> and talked/treated thais like sh*t , firstly i only ever saw them in naklua,the beach rd, 1st and 2nd rd , now i see them venturing as far as soi boukow ....enough is enough !! , for me , and most others i talk to feel the same , i like to meet other nationals when abroad but thailand is saturated with them now , from their fashion sense in speedos and skimpy 70s style shorts to their attitude to meeting/mixing with others , they are not worthy to be free to travel the world IMHO , like so many muslim immigrants they dont want to mix ........why travel then ? MKJ !

Edited by osiboy
  • Like 1

As well as the Russians, Indians and Chinese / Japanese .... A large helping of Middle Easterns / Arabs, Eastern Europeans and Koreans, the traditional Farang is serious been squeezed out ...

• Like 1

If the numbers are to believe giggle.gif, they haven't abandoned Phuket - yet?

26. May 2013

According to the Provincial Office of Commercial Affairs, the No.1 foreign arrivals direct into Phuket airport in the 1st quarter were:

1. Russians (130,000)

2. Chinese (121,000),

3. Swedish (62,000)

4. Australians (57,000)

5. South Koreans (47,000)

• Like 1

All having sex in public, it can be like being in the midst of a penguin colony!

As well as the Russians, Indians and Chinese / Japanese .... A large helping of Middle Easterns / Arabs, Eastern Europeans and Koreans, the traditional Farang is serious been squeezed out ...

A tourist official in Phuket warned last year that so many business there found themselves in a position of being totally dependent on Chinese tourist and if it that dropped off they would go out of business, He said the anti-social behaviour of the Chinese had caused both domestic and overseas tourists to move elsewhere and I suppose this can be said of the Russians although I've never had much to do with them.

That being said a friend who used to live in Pattaya went into a new bar one afternoon and a waitress warned him in was a Russian bar and he would not be welcome so he left, FAST !

6 pages and no-one has mentioned that for Swedes, Thailand is the most dangerous tourism destination.

Several articles about this have been featured on here, you can do your own searching for them.

Might have something to do with declining numbers as it has been widely publicised in Sweden.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app