Does Central Thailand Suffer From Smoke Pollution Like The North?

inapeartree

Earlier this year I experienced first hand the insane smoke pullution north Thailand suffers from every year so deleted Chiang Rai as a potential long term place to live, does central Thailand (Phetchabun, Sukhothai, Ayuthaya etc) also get affected by the pyromaniacs?

Earlier this year I experienced first hand the insane smoke pullution north Thailand suffers from every year so deleted Chiang Rai as a potential long term place to live

Amen, that's exactly what I did--visited Chiang Rai during the burning season and crossed it off my list forever. On that trip spent the night in a hotel with a blanket over my face trying to filter the air trying to sleep at night and couldn't wait to get back to Bangkok as the air was so terrible in Chiang Rai.

does central Thailand (Phetchabun, Sukhothai, Ayuthaya etc) also get affected by the pyromaniacs

As far as Phetchabun is concerned, not so fast. It certainly is impacted by burning, but nothing like the far north. This can be confirmed by reviewing the air quality index data the government tracks. We don't get off the scale red days like they do, but it gets unhealthy. Let me explain. The first thing to know about the burning season is that it roughly 4 months give or take: december through march depending a lot on when the rains initially stop. It gets worse as weeks and months go on. Fields and land are continually burned during this period. Even land that is not being used is burned because it is considered prettier burnt rather than being covered with weeds. Forest fires are either deliberately or through carelessness set. This was a really bad year for them as it was really dry. Visibility is often reduced, not to just a few hundred meters like Chiang Rai, but to some number of kilometers. For months out of the year you can't see blue sky unless you look up as in all directions there is some haze. This is ash, not fog. I spend virtually all my time outdoors and on the bad days I can feel a scratchiness in the back of my throat and a slight burn in the eye. Some days it rains ash from nearby fires. So basically the air isn't that good a lot of the year. Is it bad? Well it is all relative I guess. I certainly wish it was better.

The last critically important thing to consider is don't forget about the burning that happens every single day of the year! Thai's burn their garbage in their yards daily including various plastic bits and green leaves. Many start their cooking fires using pieces of old shoes and plastic bags. And many actually make charcoal in pits in their yards which is the worst of the worst for smoke. So if you are living by them which is going to be just about 100% of the time, you may be getting a lot of acute smoke blowing at you.

Ayutthaya isn't as bad as the north, but the air is full of the smell of smoke quite frequently, and my driveway and car are often covered with a layer of ash. (Well, not really ash, but lots of small black pieces of burnt something. Don't know the right word for it.)

Ayutthaya isn't as bad as the north, but the air is full of the smell of smoke quite frequently, and my driveway and car are often covered with a layer of ash.  (Well, not really ash, but lots of small black pieces of burnt something.  Don't know the right word for it.)

Sounds like sugercane ash. Here in Kanchanaburi we call it 'Thai snow':-)

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I keep hearing that the smoke problem gets insufferable in the North (due to slash and burn methods in Thailand and neighbouring countries). But one must keep in mind that there's going to be smoke-filled air in almost every area of Thailand sometimes -- burning things seems to be an extremely popular Thai hobby -- that, along with admiring oneself in the mirror and sleeping, which are also cherished pastimes

Thanks for the replies. Wavefloater, I've spent enough time in Thailand to know that Thais love to burn but what I experienced myself this year, and what locals have said happens every year, was unbelievable! It was noticeable from early Feb (which was late this year according to friends that live there due to unseasonal rains) and it quickly got worse, from late Feb the visibility was reduced to maybe 200mtrs at best, I had stinging eyes, sore throat and itchy nose every hour of every day and it is like that for 3-4 months every year.

The locals are obviously bothered by it too but for some reason they just accept it, I know it is part of life here but when it gets so bad you'd think they'd try and prevent it somehow but they don't, the government are just as lazy! I read hospital admissions increase dramatically with the old and young most affected, what more do they need as a reason than poor health? I went to quite a few areas of the north during this year's smokey season and it was just as bad, or worse, everywhere I went. For 8 months of the year the north is a lovely place to be but for 4 months it is torture!

Anyware south of TAK is ok provided you don't pick a very large town like N Sawan, Pitsanulok, as the traffic is horrific. The nearer you get to BKK it's hell again. Get the map out and have a lucky dip.

A very large town and Phitsanulok,don't go together.

Plus side no masses of smoke,great immigration office,easy access to Bkk.by air,and they are in general welcoming to foreign folk.

All in all a good place to stay.

I keep hearing that the smoke problem gets insufferable in the North (due to slash and burn methods in Thailand and neighbouring countries). But one must keep in mind that there's going to be smoke-filled air in almost every area of Thailand sometimes -- burning things seems to be an extremely popular Thai hobby -- that, along with admiring oneself in the mirror and sleeping, which are also cherished pastimes

Thanks for the replies. Wavefloater, I've spent enough time in Thailand to know that Thais love to burn but what I experienced myself this year, and what locals have said happens every year, was unbelievable! It was noticeable from early Feb (which was late this year according to friends that live there due to unseasonal rains) and it quickly got worse, from late Feb the visibility was reduced to maybe 200mtrs at best, I had stinging eyes, sore throat and itchy nose every hour of every day and it is like that for 3-4 months every year.

The locals are obviously bothered by it too but for some reason they just accept it, I know it is part of life here but when it gets so bad you'd think they'd try and prevent it somehow but they don't, the government are just as lazy! I read hospital admissions increase dramatically with the old and young most affected, what more do they need as a reason than poor health? I went to quite a few areas of the north during this year's smokey season and it was just as bad, or worse, everywhere I went. For 8 months of the year the north is a lovely place to be but for 4 months it is torture!

Thanks for the vivid description. Fortunately, I've never been up there when it's as bad as you describe. People with asthma and other respiratory problems must have to stay away during the worst times.

As for the Thai government doing something about it.....good luck. As long as the bigwigs are stuffing money into their pockets, nothing will change.

Anyware south of TAK is ok provided you don't pick a very large town like N Sawan, Pitsanulok, as the traffic is horrific. The nearer you get to BKK it's hell again. Get the map out and have a lucky dip.

A very large town and Phitsanulok,don't go together.

Plus side no masses of smoke,great immigration office,easy access to Bkk.by air,and they are in general welcoming to foreign folk.

All in all a good place to stay.

I visit there often and I will say it's got pleanty of good shop's but it is large it's got an airport for Budsdha sake, with huge amount's of traffic it has taken me well over 40 min: at times to get from Tesco to Makro, not that far kl wise Even to park at the weekend is a nightmare, try Robinson's car park on a Saturday/Sunday and tell me there's no traffic, up side it has got a very good hospital, but every year during the wet season the surounding area flood's big time.

Nakasawans the worst place,full of water half the year ,roadworks and traffic jam pollution.Not far off there another place that stinks of Oil.bah.gif

Don't know where this nakasawan place is, but I do know he ain't talking about Nakhon Sawan. But then I don't wander far from the "centre" i.e. the park/ Dawavdeong/Matulee bit, so I am not constantly aware of what the main road traffic is like for those passing through. It did flood the other year but that is certainly not an annual event (having said that it is battering down at the moment), and I have never been aware of slash and burn smoke pollution. Anything else? stinks of oil? News to me.

I am not promoting the place, just getting the facts straight. Otherwise there are upward of 12 hotels, 6 hospitals, a number of eating/drinking places but sadly nothing that resembles a convivial alehouse. A "gritty" small Thai town, not a resort.

The Place that stinks is Krang Kan Pet or something sounds like that. Ive never in 22Years ever seen NakasaNowhere unflooded. I try to Zoom through early when all those bloody traffic lights are turned off. We up country lot think Naka was built to ruin a fast run from Bkk to C.M. Sorry if i sound Childish, i'm not full of my own importance like some here.thumbsup.gif

fredob 43.

Tesco to Makro is no more than 15 minutes,Maybe you should learn some shortcuts.

Robinsons doesn't have a car park Central Plaza has,most visitors visiting from the outskirts, so they don't create any problems in town.

A 40 minute journey would see me through Phitsanulok and almost to Sukothai.

But some folk can drive and some,not so well.

• Like 1

fredob 43.

Tesco to Makro is no more than 15 minutes,Maybe you should learn some shortcuts.

Robinsons doesn't have a car park Central Plaza has,most visitors visiting from the outskirts, so they don't create any problems in town.

Yes agree about the Tesco to Makro bit but if you READ my post I said it had taken me AT TIME'S 40 min: to make that journey.

Now is Robinson's in Central plaza or not ??? anyway it's the same car park and it's at best bedlam due to the amount of car's, van, pick up's etc maybe you don't call that traffic but sorry to say I do with 75% of it coming from the centre of town. Go have a look or try coming out of Tops also in C/P turn right and see how far your superior driving get's you before you come to a full stop. There's traffic light's after traffic light's going toward's Big C Index. Even S/Moss cant get by those. But maybe you know a short cut.

The Place that stinks is Krang Kan Pet or something sounds like that. Ive never in 22Years ever seen NakasaNowhere unflooded. I try to Zoom through early when all those bloody traffic lights are turned off. We up country lot think Naka was built to ruin a fast run from Bkk to C.M. Sorry if i sound Childish, i'm not full of my own importance like some here.thumbsup.gif

Go back read Most of your post they are at best rubbish you seem to think that TV is a platform to make joke's in (Your word's) just a pitty that your jokes fall a bit flat most time's. Going from BKK to NAN you don't go through K.P.Phet you By-pass it so how do you know it's smell's. Yet another irritating post with not one iota of fact.

Tip next time you go through N/S use the By-pass it's been open for many year's and then you wont get a problem with T/light's as it doesn't have any.

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

fredob 43.

Yes agree about the Tesco to Makro bit but if you READ my post I said it had taken me AT TIME'S 40 min: to make that journey.

Now is Robinson's in Central plaza or not ??? anyway it's the same car park and it's at best bedlam due to the amount of car's, van, pick up's etc maybe you don't call that traffic but sorry to say I do with 75% of it coming from the centre of town. Go have a look or try coming out of Tops also in C/P turn right and see how far your superior driving get's you before you come to a full stop. There's traffic light's after traffic light's going toward's Big C Index. Even S/Moss cant get by those. But maybe you know a short cut.

Maybe not a short cut.

But I know a more pleasant way around the main road,that you are talking about.

You are blinkered to only using the main highway,but that's your choice.

Happy motoring.

By the way Sukothai also has an airport,is that a large town?

fredob 43.

Maybe not a short cut.

But I know a more pleasant way around the main road,that you are talking about.

You are blinkered to only using the main highway,but that's your choice.

Happy motoring.

By the way Sukothai also has an airport,is that a large town?

I like to get out of any ware asap when I come out of C/P as luck would have it I turn right on the I think 117 and that is normally ok but at time's the G/L want's to go strate on toward's the bus station even though we never come there over the weekend 'well once' it's allways hell traffic wise I think we shall have to disagree about the other bit's. there's a couple of goob place's to eat just past Tesco One sell's mostly duck and the other on right BKK food as the GL come's from BKK she like to eat there I still like the place though but it's a bit to hectic for me. My town 'City according to Thailand' has very little trafic most time's I can go from one end to the other at speed's in excess of 50kpm anything less for me is manic.

N/B is Sukothai airport sill open I thought it had closed like the one at Mae Sot.

Edited by fredob43

I think i know and agree about getting to Central P .Lok. From Naka. You don't go near Big C or Index its hopeless traffic. Turn Left off the main Naka road to the P Lok Uni and follow that road to the first MWay Bridge and turn right. Centrall is on your right. Its a pain at weekends. All the Poor Thais have bought all the Prime Beef.!!!! . I have to come from Nan, but its a nice run and day out,and stay at Grand Riverside one Night.thumbsup.gif

I think i know and agree about getting to Central P .Lok. From Naka. You don't go near Big C or Index its hopeless traffic. Turn Left off the main Naka road to the P Lok Uni and follow that road to the first MWay Bridge and turn right. Centrall is on your right. Its a pain at weekends. All the Poor Thais have bought all the Prime Beef.!!!! . I have to come from Nan, but its a nice run and day out,and stay at Grand Riverside one Night.thumbsup.gif

You do if the GL want's some BKK food.

Quit calling it "Naka". I mean how much can you know about the place -- as evidenced by your posts, you don't even know the name.

• Like 1

I will stand up and say wholeheartedly,Phitsanulok is a good place to lay your hat.

I don't just visit to the Plaza,Macro,Tesco.

I have lived in this town and have owned a business,for 5+ years.

So you flybynights that think a short visit,shopping entitles you to judge,please keep on travelling.

The few foreigners that stay here,and the Thai populace don't want or need you.

Food for thought.

My business is freehold,I have no Thai wife,and am on retirement extension.

I hold both blue and yellow book.

Transfer papers and whatever.

Phitsanulok works for me.

I will stand up and say wholeheartedly,Phitsanulok is a good place to lay your hat.

So you flybynights that think a short visit,shopping entitles you to judge,please keep on travelling.

I cant see that anyone has run down anything. Just stating their feeling based on differing lifestyles and years of Residence here .Problem is The P.C Mob.

I cant see that anyone has run down anything. Just stating their feeling based on differing lifestyles and years of Residence here .Problem is The P.C Mob.

Who are the "P.C. Mob."? I don't see any posts falling into this category.

I am not being defensive about N.S., i just don't like seeing nonsense being posted. Fredob43 who should know better is just as bad with his "horrific traffic" comment, just because there were/are(?) frequently problems for people travelling to and from Bangkok does not mean the rest of the town is affected.

It's not perfect, just a small town in Thailand, feel free to criticise just keep it realistic please.

Who are the "P.C. Mob."? I don't see any posts falling into this category.

I am not being defensive about N.S., i just don't like seeing nonsense being posted. Fredob43 who should know better is just as bad with his "horrific traffic" comment, just because there were/are(?) frequently problems for people travelling to and from Bangkok does not mean the rest of the town is affected.

It's not perfect, just a small town in Thailand, feel free to criticise just keep it realistic please.

Maybe the traffic has improved I shall be there tomorrow to have a look see, well I shall be going to Uthai Thani to pay insurance on the limo and calling into the Thai passport office on the way back, so an update could be in the ofing in N/S news and what's all this I should know better, I like your mob have always had a go at one another. I'm not going to change now.

Have had Yingluck visiting here over the weekend and it's been horrific road's closed shop keeper's moaning about the lack of peep's, what it has cost Buddha knows there are hoard's of police and where I live not far from the uni that she went to today it's been like hell.

H/M.

K.P.PHET.

W/H CITY.

Was out and about on Wednesday afternoon myself, no excess traffic or delays on the BKK/North road or the length of Sawanvitee.

This "you should know better" bit is about you posting what you know to be tripe and putting it forward as plain fact. You like to give the impression that you are familiar with NS, and comment on the town traffic as though you know what you are talking about, when in reality you drive on less than 1% of the total roads and assume that because they are good or bad the rest of the place will be the same.

You are doubtless quite a decent cove and hail fellow well met (and no doubt so is the other herbert from Nan) but try and differentiate between fact and fiction in future please.

Regards, R.

• Like 2