Group Fights 'dictatorship' Linked To Thaksin

webfact

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
Group fights 'dictatorship' linked to Thaksin

Somroutai Sapsomboon
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The anti-Thaksin cyber-group whose followers are known by the Guy Fawkes mask has urged people who oppose the former prime minister and the Yingluck Shinawatra government to change their Facebook and Twitter avatars to the white Fawkes mask.

While it's unknown who the leader of the group is, one aspect behind the move relates to safety and anonymity of opponents of the government. Now, after three days of trying, a self-proclaimed "initiator" of the move on Facebook agreed to answer questions on the Internet from The Nation on the condition of anonymity. Excerpts:

How did it begin and how do you think it will develop?

We want to cajole people to be aware and create a Thai version of the "Arab Spring" and educate people who do not know about the mask as to the meaning of the mask and why it is being used to oppose parliamentary dictatorship and corruption. It's a universal symbol known all over the world.

The world ought to be aware of what is happening in Thailand, in particular what the prime minister said in Mongolia, which was only a little true. Constitutional amendments [proposed by the government] are just a change for the interest of politicians, nothing to do with people's well-being. Meanwhile, the push for an amnesty law, and the red shirts' pressure on the Constitutional Court, are deemed wrong.

We want to declare that we ought not be afraid of the government, and that it is the government that ought to be afraid of the people. We plan to work with Pol General Vasit Dejkunjorn, who initiated the Thai Spring group.

Have you discussed how your group will cooperate with the Thai Spring group?

We have had preliminary talks and are waiting for the Thai Spring group to consider this. Whatever our future activity, safety comes first as we emerge from cyberspace and into the real world. We're trying to check the number of people and awaiting a date in real life to demonstrate people's rights and our refusal to accept parliamentary dictatorship that works for the benefit of corrupt politicians above the interest of the nation and the people.

Why choose the mask as the symbol?

Because the mask is an ideology unlike people behind the mask who may hesitate or change [their thinking]. But the ideology of righteousness has never changed.

Guy Fawkes is a symbol of opposition to parliamentary dictatorship, who manipulate the media and shut the ears and eyes of the people. Our group thinks that Thai politics is in a most sham state and it's just about electoral voice and benefits politicians and big businesses.

What we can't accept is the burning of cities in 2010. Many have been greatly affected by this, be it their property or lives.

As long as the culprits are still at large and amnesty bill is being pushed and taxpayers' money being paid to "heal" red shirts, we won't accept it and a civil-war-like violent retaliation will be difficult to avoid.

If we can make people realise their rights, they might come out to use their right of expression. They might come out and gather for a few hours against any topic they disagree with, just like in developed countries like Germany. That would be a beginning of democracy, as it is supposed to be, not like what we face nowadays.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-01

I swear this has all the connotations of sondhi in cahoots with the Thai army channels and the nation to come up with this idea.

This is such a clichéd article it reads like pop art quotes. Why does this story have such good legs?

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 2

I hope they are ready for a very vicious backlash from a government which must get its own way. Already these protesters have been described as " psychologically disturbed ", only the reds are normal, well adjusted people, and that's mild compared to what's likely to come. The mildest of criticism faces defamation action and if these protests build up I'm sure the DSI etc, will be let loose resulting in criminal charges being thrown around.

The government has shown it has no tolerance for dissent so standby and I'm sure the ICT Ministry will happily shut down sites without waiting for court orders as I smell fear hanging around the PTP and a cornered animal is the most dangerous.

And 'garbage people' as expressed by the science DPM.

I hope they are ready for a very vicious backlash from a government which must get its own way. Already these protesters have been described as " psychologically disturbed ", only the reds are normal, well adjusted people, and that's mild compared to what's likely to come. The mildest of criticism faces defamation action and if these protests build up I'm sure the DSI etc, will be let loose resulting in criminal charges being thrown around.

The government has shown it has no tolerance for dissent so standby and I'm sure the ICT Ministry will happily shut down sites without waiting for court orders as I smell fear hanging around the PTP and a cornered animal is the most dangerous.

Not all Red Shirts are supporters of Thaksin. There are two factions of the Red Shirts, the faction that are supporters of the peoples rebellion and the elimination of all government forms that do not follow the ideals of the 1932 coup that overthrew the monarchy. Than there is the faction that has been bought and paid for.

Khun. Tida is a true supporter of the revolution and a supporter of the 1932 rebellion. I feels she is following the CT manifesto.

Edited by tomross46

I think it might be better if they didn't try to attack the red shirts as a whole in their comments. I'm sure most red shirts are normal people who just want a better life. I don't think they'll get it from their leaders or the PTP. Even the Democrats in their present form seem to be slightly better but not by much.

If they could reach out to those on all sides who are moderate and interested in the country as a whole. This will mean not going just after policies that give short term gain for themselves and finding politicians who have the same view. There will be some out there.

Agree with many of your points, in summary it would certainly be better to plan and conduct some overall education so that many of the red shirts become more knowledgeable about what the picture should look like and the benefits.

IMHO the dems (who are the only alternative govt.) need to really get their act together with a multi pronged approach:

1. Education so that people really understand how democracy works etc., whilst being careful that people see that the 'education' is balanced and honest.

2. Policies (short-term and long-term) which aim to create a civil society whereby the lower income groups can gain a better quality of life through their own productivity.

2. All of the above framed so that the paymaster becomes irrelevant.

Yes, a tall order, but I believe their is a core within the dems that could pull this off.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

I swear this has all the connotations of sondhi in cahoots with the Thai army channels and the nation to come up with this idea.

This is such a clichéd article it reads like pop art quotes. Why does this story have such good legs?

With just a hint of Dem.party

I think it might be better if they didn't try to attack the red shirts as a whole in their comments. I'm sure most red shirts are normal people who just want a better life. I don't think they'll get it from their leaders or the PTP. Even the Democrats in their present form seem to be slightly better but not by much.

If they could reach out to those on all sides who are moderate and interested in the country as a whole. This will mean not going just after policies that give short term gain for themselves and finding politicians who have the same view. There will be some out there.

Or they could form a political party and fight it out democratically as opposed to "we won't accept it and a civil-war-like violent retaliation will be difficult to avoid."

I don't know about you but even in Thailand I think that Pol General Vasit Dejkunjorn (who founded the, snigger, Thai Spring) may think twice about aligning himself and his merry band of men and women with those who want a civil war

vasit.gif?w=510Pol General Vasit Dejkunjorn

and his co-founder of "Thai Spring"

kaewsan.jpg?w=192&h=244 Mr.Kaewsun Atibodhi.

Perhaps masks are appropriate in this case.

Sorry, couldn't resist it clap2.gif .

Edited by amore
  • Like 2

The usual suspects (re-)emerging to discredit a peaceful move which aims at bringing to attention parliamentary dictatorship and corruption.

It almost seem some rather have a few thousand red-shirts moving along the streets 'commemorating' their fallen heroes and wanting justice for all except Abhisit/Suthep of course, and Thaksin back.

• Like 2

The usual suspects (re-)emerging to discredit a peaceful move which aims at bringing to attention parliamentary dictatorship and corruption.

It almost seem some rather have a few thousand red-shirts moving along the streets 'commemorating' their fallen heroes and wanting justice for all except Abhisit/Suthep of course, and Thaksin back.

What part of "we won't accept it and a civil-war-like violent retaliation will be difficult to avoid." do you find to be peaceful? I'm curious.

"As long as the culprits are still at large and amnesty bill is being pushed and taxpayers' money being paid to "heal" red shirts, we won't accept it and a civil-war-like violent retaliation will be difficult to avoid."

The peaceful part is in "will be difficult to avoid" which suggest that it will be tried to avoid. That's a bit better that having Pheu Thai party list MP and UDD leader Dr. weng talk about 'eradication'.

Anyway all this distracts from the griefs mentioned, but those are to be avoided by some, it would seem.

• Like 2

Civil war ? do you really think it would, or could come to this ?

For the sake of Thailand I hope it doesn't, it would take years for the economy to recover from that, shudder to think how the ex pats could live through a civil war, they wouldn't have to worry about the strength of the Baht if it did kick off.

Unfortunately protests by Thais have one issue that they cannot ignore. Stupidity.

They are not fair and have an inability to look within themselves, which makes them dangerous.

And of course, they fight like dogs so it will only take one idiot to start something then we have utter chaos again....

It's already been explained to you that this latest protest is simply a new incarnation of the same movement - PAD,Pitak Siam,Multicolored etc.Indeed many of the same leadership names are involved.The aims are the same.

Of course it's good for the government to be kept on their toes and called to account.That's what the opposition is for - though their weak performance in parliament might improve if they stopped looking for victory through the courts or the military (didn't work out so well last time).

If you want to convince yourself that Yingluck is a great tyrant and the old unelected elites (corrupt, greedy and selfish) are only acting for the good of the Thai people, so be it.You may as well believe in fairies.

My dear jayboy, first of all let me thank you for your kind words. Not even a hint of an insult, bravo. soon i might even believe in fairies.

Now under whatever name the group of the topic goes, they say to aim at bringing to attention parliamentary dictatorship and corruption. That's a worthy cause.

Now the government on their toes (assuming no hidden reference to Cinderella?) is what this group aims at. The 'opposition' you refer to seems only to include the parliamentary opposition which you call weak ignoring the majority of seats the Pheu Thai led government has. Anyway the Democrats are not part of this topic.

As for what Ibelieve, I didn't write down anything. I just quote from the topic. Personally I don't believe PM Yingluck is a great tyrant, not even a great dictator, although she does order lots of people around, ask her sidekick Chalerm. Still again off topic. Mind you on topic would be an old, unelected elite called Thaksin.

The current government doesn't really show to care for the Thai people, just for some. The fact that previous governments may not have been much better is not sufficient justification to believe in fairies, I'm afraid.

It's already been explained to you that this latest protest is simply a new incarnation of the same movement - PAD,Pitak Siam,Multicolored etc.Indeed many of the same leadership names are involved.The aims are the same.

Of course it's good for the government to be kept on their toes and called to account.That's what the opposition is for - though their weak performance in parliament might improve if they stopped looking for victory through the courts or the military (didn't work out so well last time).

If you want to convince yourself that Yingluck is a great tyrant and the old unelected elites (corrupt, greedy and selfish) are only acting for the good of the Thai people, so be it.You may as well believe in fairies.

Is the opposition planning a coup then? must have missed that.

Unfortunately many Red Shirt supporters seems to fall into the uneducated, poor category. This promotes apathy and allows their leaders to do their thinking for them.

I imagine they do want a better life, but do not have the desire to think how to achieve it.

I wonder who did the 'explaining' that these groups are just more of the PAD etc. If it was one of the red shirt supporters then that so called explanation is not worth two turds.

It is really amazing that so called democracy (a rather twisted version) supporters have to belittle any opposition to the present government..

Er, since many of the same names are involved in PAD, Pitak Siam, Multicoloureds and this latest group you don't need to be a red supporter to join up the dots.

There's plenty to oppose in the current government.The Democrats should be doing better at this stage of the government's term.The objection is not to opposition but to the constant invocations for the army and/or courts to step in.

• Like 1

Unfortunately many Red Shirt supporters seems to fall into the uneducated, poor category. This promotes apathy and allows their leaders to do their thinking for them.

I imagine they do want a better life, but do not have the desire to think how to achieve it.

Good point, especially as the rest of the population are so famously independent minded and unaffected by personal considerations.Ideally there should be some way of disenfranchising or at least minimising the influence of Thailand's rural majority.The appointed senators under the military sponsored constitution was a good start, but ideally the system should give more priority to the well educated, well off and urban middle class and less to those tiresome peasants.Otherwise it just becomes a dictatorship of the majority - effectively the problem now

I wonder who did the 'explaining' that these groups are just more of the PAD etc. If it was one of the red shirt supporters then that so called explanation is not worth two turds.

It is really amazing that so called democracy (a rather twisted version) supporters have to belittle any opposition to the present government.

Painting them as 'elite supporters' or civil war exponents is par for those who dislike criticism, similar to the likes of Plodprasop plus Yingluck's minders.

So with one part of your "brain" you disregard any explanation from "supporters" of the Red Shirt movement as "not worth two turds" and from the other part of your "brain" you complain about "supporters" who belittle the opposition.

It must be very confusing in that head of yours.

It is really amazing that so called democracy (a rather twisted version) supporters have to belittle any opposition to the present government..

Er, since many of the same names are involved in PAD, Pitak Siam, Multicoloureds and this latest group you don't need to be a red supporter to join up the dots.

There's plenty to oppose in the current government.The Democrats should be doing better at this stage of the government's term.The objection is not to opposition but to the constant invocations for the army and/or courts to step in.

It doesn't matter how many different names one side or the other have. If they don't get the numbers up to 100,00 they don't count. smile.png

• Like 1