What Is This Red Bug?

The last couple of weeks I've been seeing more and more red insects that remind me of box elder bugs. Does anyone know what this insect is, and is it beneficial, dangerous, or destructive? Do you know the botanical name so that I could read up on them? Thanks much.

post-55993-0-33984200-1370090082_thumb.j

It could be a Pyrrhocoridae Nymph, similar to a cotton stainer nymph. I found a picture of this bug that looks like the one you photographed at www.envirosea.photoshelter.com. I'm no expert, but the pictures do look similar.

It could be a Pyrrhocoridae Nymph, similar to a cotton stainer nymph. I found a picture of this bug that looks like the one you photographed at www.envirosea.photoshelter.com. I'm no expert, but the pictures do look similar.

Thanks, Rick, http://envirosea.photoshelter.com/index is a really interesting site with lots of good outdoor stuff. I'd not seen it before, but now it's bookmarked.

I think we have two different bugs here, though. Mine has red legs (5 or 6!), and 3 black spots going down its lower "back" in addition to the 2 larger ones in the middle.

Scantius (=Lodosiana) aegyptius or a close relative?

Seems that their appearance changes quite a lot as they grow

http://nathistoc.bio.uci.edu/hemipt/Scantius%20aegyptius.htm

Scroll down to the 8th and 9th row of photos and there are similarities at these stages of growth to your bug.

I think that's the guy. Thanks much, loong.