Wifi Or Lan Setup Advice

KelCastro

I work online and rely on my internet for everything (obviously). I do a lot of screen sharing, conference/video calls, etc. and I need good connection for constant uploading/downloading. Our apartment offers Wifi but it is incredibly slow (when it works). We are considering moving for this reason, so can anyone suggest the best setup for us? Also, we use various computers & devices.

I’m thinking of finding an apartment with a LAN setup and buying a router to configure our own WIFI. Would this work and would it work well?

Any advice is much appreciated. smile.png

I do the same as you, work online.

I have a LAN as I also use a VoiP phone, as the Wifi here is not fast enough or stable enough. The apartment block I stay in allowed me to have my own line put in, which I have a landline from TOT and the internet from True. I then Wifi it through the router for the missus.

I do the same as you, work online.

I have a LAN as I also use a VoiP phone, as the Wifi here is not fast enough or stable enough. The apartment block I stay in allowed me to have my own line put in, which I have a landline from TOT and the internet from True. I then Wifi it through the router for the missus.

Is VoIP a special can of phone or phone line?

So basically I would need a phone line, a LAN line and the Wifi router. Is that correct?

Was it difficult setting up with these companies? (What did they ask for during the setup procedure?)

Sorry for all the questions, I’m new to all this.

Thanks!

Find an apartment where you can get your own adsl line with one of the providers (3bb, true, tot..)

You should get a router with Wifi. I have true adsl, had to pay for the line setup to my condo but I don't have to pay for phone line

I had True 12g installed in my apartment with router and all. Did it the day after I asks for it in about 1 hour. I pay 799 per month and have never had any problems really. I pay on the 6 month plan that way when I go to work it is on when I get back.

Just think about where you put your WiFi router since the location can dramatically change where you can use it. Like to sit on the patio to work? Put the router near the window facing your space. I picked a 5-watt high powered one and I can not only use out outside but way out at the end of my property, and it's not anywhere near the window. If I put out in my front window I could probably get 200-300 meters. The Wi-Fi at church is near the front window on the second floor so the signal goes to all four floors with Windows facing the front and both restaurants directly across the street. (Wish I was the one to think that setup up.)

Also, enable encryption and password access. The quick setup CD that came with my TP-Link router made it a no brainer. I'm sure other brands can do the same.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by asupeartea

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you guys.

Anyone recommend any company over another for ADSL? And i don't need a phone line, correct?

No phone line needed, they normally pull a new cable (phoneline but without phone service, only adsl), or a new coaxcable if using Docsis.

Depending on the area you are, it might be possible to get True Super high speed internet over Docsis. Tends to be more stable then ADSL, although nowadays with dedicated ADSL wiring pulled to your house, connections have improved as well.

http://trueonline.truecorp.co.th/product-service/product-broadband/entry/1160

At the risk of being mocked by the more technically minded amongst us, before rushing out to buy new equipment there are a couple of low-tech things I would try:

1. Does your building have those boxes on the walls of common areas with 2 aerials sticking out the top? (I don't know if they are routers, boosters or whatever...) If so, try playing around with the direction the aerials are pointing - try pointing one or both towards the direction of your room. I've stayed at 2 serviced apartments where trying this dramatically improved the strength of my signal
  2. Try updating the driver of your network adapter, especially if you're running a non-genuine version of Windows (assuming you can update it). A couple of years ago at my house I had a TOT ADSL line installed and my Internet speed just kept getting slower and slower - I was paying for either a 4 Mbps or 6 Mbps connection and towards the end my speedtests were showing 0.2 Mbps. After many telephone calls I had TOT technicians come to my house on at least 3 occasions and each time the outcome was the classic "scratches head and squints..." (which we all know is not a good sign) followed by the sound of the technicians laughing as they walked down the stairs, followed by the sound of a TOT pick-up starting and driving off. To the uninitiated this translates as: "You're on your own pal... good luck!". .

At the time I was using a (Forgive me Microsoft, for I have sinned...) non-genuine copy of XP, and had always shied away from any kind of updating as advised by the guy who installed it. By some stroke of luck I was messing around with the settings and figured "what the hell" and so in the Device Manager I clicked on "Update Driver". Sure enough, after a fairly lengthy download and reboot, my speed went from 0.2 Mbps to around 5 Mbps.

I'm not saying either option is the answer, just saying they may be worth trying...

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard about the 2nd/3rd floor adsl/wifi install limit with True? Tried getting their services but they're saying they cannot above these floors. If this us the case, what do people in condos get?

3BB seems to be the only company who will, but they don't seem to have a good rep in Pattaya?

Thinking about checking out TOT, can someone point me towards their office location? Does anyone have service with them?