Suddenly Cannot Attach Files To E-Mail

scorecard

1. Suddenly I cannot attach e-mails from desktop, thumb drive etc., to my gmail e-mails.

When I try to attach a file it temporarily stops my internet connection and closes my compose screen.

I have windows 7.

2. Not sure if it's connected but suddenly everything I download goes into 'download manager' (normal process)

but when I try to open a file now in 'download manager' nothing happens at all.

Would appreciate any advice members can share. Thanks.

There was a post here ~ one month, similar problem. Suggestions included clearing the cache in 'settings', can't remember - try trawling back through this forum.

Good luck, AA

There was a post here ~ one month, similar problem. Suggestions included clearing the cache in 'settings', can't remember - try trawling back through this forum.

Good luck, AA

Thanks, I'll go through the previous messages.

How about a link?

This option has disappeared on my Hotmail account in the last month as well.

Hi smokie do you mean the option to attach files?

When you click on New to create a new mail you should then see a tab that says Insert - clock on the arrow and you should see 3 options - one of which is "Files as attachments". Clock on that and chose your file/s. They can sometimes take a while to load.

Sorry if that was not what you meant wai.gif

Under the classic mode:

attachicon.gifgmail.png

Under the new system:

attachicon.gifgmail new.png

Thanks. This part well understood. My problem is:

1. Click on the (new) paper clip icon - all OK.

2. Then use the browse function to find the file I want to attach, yes found and highlighted. (All OK for both internal files on the hard drive and files on a thumb drive)

3. Now click on 'open' to actually attach the identified file to my e-mail. Now e.mail instantly goes off line (and I get a message my notebook has disconnected from internet service) gone then after 1 or 2 seconds gmail screen closes down (and quickly I note that I am now back on line) and my notebook reverts to desktop or a another open screen.

My concern of course is that I have without realizing changed a setting, therefore causing the problem - but the truth is that I am not tech savvy and I never (knowingly) change settings.

Any other suggestions very much appreciated.

That is a strange one. What browser are you accessing gmail in? Have you tried another browser?

Not sure if you are talking about a third party download manager but it may have taken a brain fart and trying to launch when you want to 'upload' a file for gmail attachment. Maybe disable it or better still, uninstall it? If it solves the problem but you can't live without it, you can always reinstall it and see if it behaves itself.

Have you inadvertently installed a download manager when installing some other software? Some are bundled in the 'standard' installation of downloaded programs or even in existing program updates which is bloody annoying!

Edited by NanLaew