Mixing Concrete The Thailand Way

David48

Given the lack of spacers here for the rebar, mentioned elsewhere, I did cast some concrete spacers using ice cube trays (to much amusement of the family!). They weren't perfect, but were better than nothing. When I return to Thailand later this year I'll bring a load of plastic spacers with me ready for the next phase of my project.

Welcome AWT smile.png

Re-bar stands, have a look here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/481794-housebuilding-thread/?p=4611322 about half way down the post are some piccies of the DIY stands our contractor used. Moulds made from off cuts of 2" PVC pipe.

Thanks Crossy, that's another good way of doing things.

I guess you'd need quite a few offcuts of pipe to make up a 'batch'. Using the ice cube trays, we could make 14-16 in one go, and after compacting the concrete upturn the tray, tap the top to release the concrete, and then re-fill. The advantages of the pipe offcuts is that they are slightly larger in diameter and have the tying wire cast into them to tie the mesh to.

If there's no room in my suitcase for the plastic spacers, I'll give the offcut pipe method a go and compare the results.

Thanks again.

AWT

I always get a chuckle where I hear the term, "farmers with hammers" used.

In Thailand it is more like Som Tam cooks with cleavers & hatchets. King of the butchers. LOL!

Quote: PVC glue? I do it with my fingers like the Thais. Using a brush does not

stop the stuff being toxic and you'll be throwing away several brushes a

day if you do it that way, I have a 20 Km drive to the next shop.

The main reason to use a Q-tip or brush is cleanliness. Actually all joints should be sanded on both the elbows-connectors or T connections & blown out then apply the glue(primer) with some type of CLEAN applicator. Fingers tend to drag cut PVC particles & grime into the joints. Nowadays just about every medium to lager can comes with a built in brush. A wonderful invention. While you may never have a problem with finger painting it only takes once in a remote are or 1/2 meter- 1 meter buried in the ground to have that small leak that you have to do over to entice you to do it the preferred way.

Just like auto painting No fingers & lots of chemical washes before the paint to keep out foreign matter that can bite you later.

The finger method is the lazy way out & really not recommended unless your name is Somchai!

I've not had a failure with my PVC pipes yet, using my fingers.

Your a lucky guy. When (if it ever does) the pipes develop a slow leak that debris in the glue rears its ugly head you will know why it is best to not finger paint with PVC.

In Thailand it is more like Som Tam cooks with cleavers & hatchets. King of the butchers. LOL!

The main reason to use a Q-tip or brush is cleanliness. Actually all joints should be sanded on both the elbows-connectors or T connections & blown out then apply the glue(primer) with some type of CLEAN applicator. Fingers tend to drag cut PVC particles & grime into the joints. Nowadays just about every medium to lager can comes with a built in brush. A wonderful invention. While you may never have a problem with finger painting it only takes once in a remote are or 1/2 meter- 1 meter buried in the ground to have that small leak that you have to do over to entice you to do it the preferred way.

Just like auto painting No fingers & lots of chemical washes before the paint to keep out foreign matter that can bite you later.

The finger method is the lazy way out & really not recommended unless your name is Somchai!

Also a good idea to clean the end with a clean rag after sanding with some cellulose thinner on and not Somchais T shirt

I've not had a failure with my PVC pipes yet, using my fingers.

Stop moving house every 6 months then!!

yes, q-tips... and kotex' are perfect for those 4" and larger pipes... you guys are cracking me up!!!

the pvc glue flashes really quickly, so using a tiny q-tip applicator on anything larger than about 20mm dia. is just asking for a leaky joint. and the brushes are about 30 baht apiece, ferkrissake!

• Like 1

Well, we do have rather low water pressure here. All the same we have pipes that were done that way 10 years ago, the only leaks we have had were due to fixtures rusting away.

Yep ! With you and bbradsby on this, plastic pipes & glue its not rocket science.

Over 12 years the metal fittings on basins and toilets connection etc are the only thing that are starting to need attention.

Our water pressure is varied pressure and our water pump is capable of good three story high pressure.

All that's needed is cleanliness, what ever way you do it.