Why Are There So Many People Who Just Bitch About This Country?

sadhukar

Why do people who are happy whinging make happy people whinge?

I think that the people who complain about whingers are not really happy, but they want to kid others, and hence themselves, that they are happy, by criticising the whingers.

Personally, if I was happy, I don't think I'd come to a place like this...

SC

So you're a sad old man who had nowhere else to go, and now wants to impart his misery on others?

Virtually bang on. I tried a couple of other places, but they were not as lively, and full of Australians. There were a couple of other places, but I felt I was missing out on all the fun there, so I hang around here.

SC

• Like 1

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people appear to be stuck here with limited options.

smile.png

I think it's only natural to complain. Most complaints are based on facts. I complain about Canada even though it has been voted by many people to be one of the best countries to live in. That doesn't mean it doesn't have problems. I could bore you all night with things that are wrong with Canada and could be improved if it were not for certain political agendas. That doesn't mean I don't love Canada. I feel much the same way about Thailand. I see its obvious problems and yet love it just the same. However, I think I might have more complaints if I were to live in Thailand as an expat.

I believe that people paint themselves into a corner just as Heng pointed out and sometimes their luck turns bad. People do make poor decisions and leave themselves few options to turn things around. We've all heard the sad stories of men who have fallen for some Thai woman and spent all his money on her, only to be dumped a few years later. That happens in North America as well, but divorce settlements usually split things 50-50.

Edited by rene123

@ MacChine.

sanook sanaan

(So much to criticize . . . it's fun.)

My very favorite pro-Monarchy website was. 200Thaisforking.co.th

My enthusiasm only to be mirrored by Op Aw and other comediens.

Loved it !

I'll add; Lese Majeste. How many coups? 90 day reporting. Nationalism. Institutionalized xenophobia, used car prices, wine prices. Corruption, environmental degradation, constant rip-offs and of course the sheer volume of lies and two faced smiles...

So much to critisize...it's fun !!

People come to discussion forums to vent frustrations, aka whine.

When people whine about the whining, now that's whining !!

Trolling is really what it is and I'd bet most of the whining whiners don't even live in Thailand, or are so inoculated from realities by Thai partners, they have an inaccurate view of realities of living here.

Two words.

Bomb Detectors.

I personally liked the way they pushed the flood down stream with a few tugboats.

What's so different? People bitch about the country they currently live in, which is mostly their native country. When I'm back in my own country I eat breakfast at the same diner and I know a lot of the regulars. Many complain non stop. Why would you expect that trait to go away because someone is living in a different country?

Again, its not about the bitching (which I agree with), its about the racism and the belief that "ALL Thais are x" and yet said person is dumb enough to live there

Because of the wording you might be assuming that some complaints are about ALL Thais. When in fact the complaints are  being directed at  specific groups  Take the Spicys example:

As reported , the Thai males in there are not bank managers and the comments about Thai males should be taken in  context.

Whats wrong with this picture ? A  local male shoots a foreign male in a bar and I advise foreign males to avoid bars where locals are drinking - and I get criticised ?   I complain about reckless city bus drivers, about Thais driving through red lites with pedestrians in the crosswalk. and when you see most of the Thais doing this its fare to generalize about it and say they are reckless, ignorant and inconsiderate drivers. It seems  some folks like you , Berkshire and others come out of the woodwork on this board and  self appoint  yourselves  Thai public defenders eveytime someone calls a spade a spade. Complaining is just a reaction to the environment , so is complementing. I give the medical profession here (Bangkok Christian Hospital mostly) AAA ( because the insurance companies are not running the show.) I give Thai banks AA. Well above for both over stateside. Complaining about Thais , as indicated , and enjoying being here are not mutually  exclusive. I complain .about foreigners here also - like these  jerkoffs  in this internet shop.

You seem to be complaining just about everything, about thais and foreigners, how that does that make you happy? Or maybe I am just getting it wrong and in real life you never complain, just here so you can fit in? I am not trying to be smart, i really don't get this negativism about a country and it's people that you choose to live in.

• Like 1

Many people on this website complain.  I mean, they just straight up complain in a negative fashion.  "Avoid XYZ, it is <deleted>" (lol @ <deleted>).

Instead of saying "XYZ is <deleted>", why not say, "I didn't have a good time at XYZ when I was there" or "Instead of XYZ, you could try the ABC.  I liked ABC a lot better"

Instead of saying "Thai people are terrible drivers" we could say "Traffic in Thailand is more hectic than what you are used to back home.  Always keep your guard up and always look both directions"

Also I think a majority of the problems about complaining are due to the different cultures of the members of this website.  In nationality, age and life experiences.

You just gotta love this post, it made me smile

Many people on this website complain. I mean, they just straight up complain in a negative fashion. "Avoid XYZ, it is <deleted>" (lol @ <deleted>).

Instead of saying "XYZ is <deleted>", why not say, "I didn't have a good time at XYZ when I was there" or "Instead of XYZ, you could try the ABC. I liked ABC a lot better"

Instead of saying "Thai people are terrible drivers" we could say "Traffic in Thailand is more hectic than what you are used to back home. Always keep your guard up and always look both directions"

Also I think a majority of the problems about complaining are due to the different cultures of the members of this website. In nationality, age and life experiences.

You just gotta love this post, it made me smile

'Thai drivers are <deleted>' is sharper and to the point, no point in wrapping it in rose petals.

• Like 2

What's so different? People bitch about the country they currently live in, which is mostly their native country. When I'm back in my own country I eat breakfast at the same diner and I know a lot of the regulars. Many complain non stop. Why would you expect that trait to go away because someone is living in a different country?

Again, its not about the bitching (which I agree with), its about the racism and the belief that "ALL Thais are x" and yet said person is dumb enough to live there

Because of the wording you might be assuming that some complaints are about ALL Thais. When in fact the complaints are being directed at specific groups Take the Spicys example:

As reported , the Thai males in there are not bank managers and the comments about Thai males should be taken in context.

Whats wrong with this picture ? A local male shoots a foreign male in a bar and I advise foreign males to avoid bars where locals are drinking - and I get criticised ? I complain about reckless city bus drivers, about Thais driving through red lites with pedestrians in the crosswalk. and when you see most of the Thais doing this its fare to generalize about it and say they are reckless, ignorant and inconsiderate drivers. It seems some folks like you , Berkshire and others come out of the woodwork on this board and self appoint yourselves Thai public defenders eveytime someone calls a spade a spade. Complaining is just a reaction to the environment , so is complementing. I give the medical profession here (Bangkok Christian Hospital mostly) AAA ( because the insurance companies are not running the show.) I give Thai banks AA. Well above for both over stateside. Complaining about Thais , as indicated , and enjoying being here are not mutually exclusive. I complain .about foreigners here also - like these jerkoffs in this internet shop.

You seem to be complaining just about everything, about thais and foreigners, how that does that make you happy? Or maybe I am just getting it wrong and in real life you never complain, just here so you can fit in? I am not trying to be smart, i really don't get this negativism about a country and it's people that you choose to live in.

What you are getting wrong is that complaining makes me happy ? I would be happier if there was not any thing to complain about. And you can be sure I complain in real live too

the part about places in Kentucky, UK, Pakistan or.. wherever have ignorant, mistrustful and tribe mentality folks,

and I was two hours from darkest W. Virginia for much of my life, two hours of a deliberate drive being the difference- here, it's the whole f'ing country, inescapable and it is taught deliberately.

Snippet

...Though on a different level, this case is quite similar to some folks I've met, who were from Kentucky (no offense). So I´m not saying that there aren´t westerners who behave like this but as I mentioned before, it has a larger impact on Thailand due to their culture.

Edited by MacChine

'I see its obvious problems and yet love it just the same. However, I think I might have more complaints if I were to live in Thailand as an expat.'

Can I ask why please?

'I think that the people who complain about whingers are not really happy, but they want to kid others, and hence themselves, that they are happy, by criticising the whingers.'

Not sure that this is the perfect truth. I don't complain much about the barrage of negativity on TV, but it does reduce my energy.

If I found myself complaining to others about my wife, I would probably have the guts to say to myself, that I should leave her.

• Like 1

It is true that the most positive people avoid negativity by simply moving on from those kind of places and people, like avoiding mainstream media sources.

Just ask on any other public forum where people familiar with TV.com hang out their opinion of the community here and you'll see it's actual active audience is a tiny fraction of what it would be if it were more positive, open, tolerant, free-as-in-speech etc.

Those that stay are the ones with at least pretty thick skins, if not actually enjoying the conflict-ridden community culture.

the part about places in Kentucky, UK, Pakistan or.. wherever have ignorant, mistrustful and tribe mentality folks,

and I was two hours from darkest W. Virginia for much of my life, two hours of a deliberate drive being the difference- here, it's the whole f'ing country, inescapable and it is taught deliberately.

Snippet

...Though on a different level, this case is quite similar to some folks I've met, who were from Kentucky (no offense). So I´m not saying that there aren´t westerners who behave like this but as I mentioned before, it has a larger impact on Thailand due to their culture.

then leave?

Snippet

I was trying to be subtle smile.png

Misery loves company. let's just say that I am a happy as I'll ever want to be. I have a very nice life thankyou. Even to the extent that quite a number of my countrymen at home, over the years, have actually tried to make me feel guilty about it. Saying that I 'ran away', that I am 'hiding out' in fantasyland' etc etc. One or two have even tried to take my life here for themselves. But I won't go into that here.

Fact is, I never set the bar too high for myself. From when I was a teenager I KNEW one day I would retire to live in Asia somewhere. In those days it could have been a number of countries that I was visiting regulary at the time. I was spending at least 6-8 months of every year running around the Far East. Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand and even Japan were all good options as a place to settle down. That was over 40 years ago.

I retired at age 50. Accidently really, I wasn't planning to at the time. I had my 21st Birthday in Sattahip, at Utapao Airbase when it was still run by the USAF. Then I had my 50th in Pattaya and I somehow never bothered to go back after my 50th. Enuf was enuf. I left home and had been on the go since I was 15.

Anyway. It turned out to be Thailand. I am not a rich man, money wise, not really. But I have everything I need and want. Not to mention I am in fact living the 'dream' I had as a teenager. As my 84 YO Mum tells me, do you know how lucky you are to be able to do exactly what you want to do. Not many people in the world have that chance. Be happy.

I live in an all Thai neighbourhood and environment and have no contact whatsoever with any Ex Pat, person, group or community.

More? I have been ironing my own clothes all my bloody life. Jeez how I grew to hate ironing. Now I live in a country where there is no need for me to even possess an Iron, nor an Ironing Board for that matter. At 10 baht a shirt from the lady running the cottage industry laundry a couple of doors up, why would you bother.

Gotta be happy with that!!

No bitches from me.

• Like 2

Like anywhere, there's a lot to bitch about. Look at what's going on in the rest of the world. I can accept many things so it's great here. I feel like I'm safe and apart from the rest of the world chaos. No matter what happens with the rest of the world, it won't happen where I am.

Really? No matter what happens? A total collapse of the increasingly fragile and interconnected international economic system would have a major impact on every human being living on the planet other than a few hundred remaining "lost tribes" in places like the Amazon.

If you're fully "prepped" for such a disaster you have a farming compound fully self-sufficient in food production without relying on any purchased inputs from outside, and have a stockpile of weapons and ammo, with your commune's members trained to defend it from the starving marauding hordes.

That takes a heck of a lot of money and technical knowledge, to go to that level of preparation for something most people consider very unlikely would cause society to label you as insane and dangerous, and probably the government would actively seek to remove your capabilities.

Really? No matter what happens? A total collapse of the increasingly fragile and interconnected international economic system would have a major impact on every human being living on the planet other than a few hundred remaining "lost tribes" in places like the Amazon.

If you're fully "prepped" for such a disaster you have a farming compound fully self-sufficient in food production without relying on any purchased inputs from outside, and have a stockpile of weapons and ammo, with your commune's members trained to defend it from the starving marauding hordes.

That takes a heck of a lot of money and technical knowledge, to go to that level of preparation for something most people consider very unlikely would cause society to label you as insane and dangerous, and probably the government would actively seek to remove your capabilities.

or they would try to have you sent to psychiatric ward ;)

• Like 1