Demonstrations And Rallies Leading Up To The Election

Jai Dee

Civic groups to urge voters to abstain

Civic groups will fan out in crowded parts of Bangkok on Friday to urge voters to tick the "no vote" box in Sunday's election.

Lead campaigners include the Thammasat University Student Union, advocacy groups for women and a number of student chapters.

"Voters will be encouraged to go to the balloting stations and cast a 'no-vote' ballot in a gesture of protest against the election, which is deemed undemocratic," Thammasat student leader Salinee Ratanachaisit said.

Activist Ticha na Nakhon called on women to deny caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra a chance to return by marking a "no-vote".

- TN

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was an interview with Ji Upakorn in the Nation lately. He is against PAD's call for royal intervention, but he agrees - Thaksin has to go. There's amazing unity on this one point, diversity in methods. Let's say it's black and various shades of white. That's the only real reason all the attmepts at talks failed - no one knows how to introduce grey.

I, actually don't think that WE disagree on that crucial issue - Thaksin has to go, one way or another. Royal intervention, threat to democracy - those are non-issues. If you think that they are, let's talk about it.

That is what Giles Ungpakorn has said:

“I think the call for a royally appointed government is a step back for democracy,” said Giles Ungpakorn, a political scientist at Chulalongkorn University. “It’s unnecessary, and it stems from the fact that PAD and the Democrats know they will lose [in] an election. PAD and the Democrats have turned their backs on democracy and shown contempt for ordinary people, who, they say, are either bought off or ignorant.”

This sums up my position rather well.

And i believe as well that the way how Thaksin goes one day is crucial for the future development of Thailand. This, IMHO is not a non-issue.

If Thaksin is forced out by urban based middle class demonstrations, whose main leaders subscribe to a extremist right wing and xenophobic ideologies, over the head of the majority of Thais, it will not only result into extreme instability, but will do enormous damage to the emerging political conscience of the rural poor.

Thaksin has to be voted out of office by a majority that has learned the lesson that populist policies will ruin them in the long run. If this is not done that way, the way is open for someone like Thaksin, or someone far worse.

Rally paralyses parts of capital as tens of thousands flock to PAD demonstration outside Siam Paragon; separate protest blockades main highway to South

Large sections of Bangkok came to a standstill last night, as tens of thousands of anti-Thaksin Shinawatra demonstrators sealed off Rama I road, one of the city's main arteries, in a bid to increase the pressure on the caretaker premier to resign.

People lined up along the one-kilometre-long, six-lane Rama I, where the giant Siam Paragon shopping complex and two other large retail centres are situated.

The area echoed with the voices of the anti-Thaksin movement's main orators.

The rally, one of the biggest in the past several weeks, attracted huge numbers of people from all walks of life.

Also yesterday, about 7,000 anti-Thaksin demonstrators in the southern province of Chumphon formed a human blockade on the Phetkasem Highway, resulting in heavily congested southbound traffic.

Northbound traffic, however, was unaffected.

Protest leaders said the blockade would continue until caretaker premier Thaksin resigned.

The Chumphon incident in-tensified speculation about a large-scale, potentially violent boycott of Sunday's snap election. Apart from being a stronghold of the opposition Democrats, the South, especially the four southernmost provinces, has become deeply resentful of the Thaksin government's iron-fisted efforts to tackle the separatist movement in the region.

Yesterday more than 4,000 Chulalongkorn University lecturers, students and alumni joined the Siam Paragon rally in the capital. Karina Chote-rawee, a lecturer at Chulalongkorn's faculty of arts, said Thaksin had lost his legitimacy to govern because of his lack of ethics.

Waratpong Tangsomboon, an alumnus, said the anti-Thaksin gathering showed that more and more people were finding their voices.

Previously the anti-Thaksin movement, grouped under the umbrella of the People's Alliance for Democracy, staged mass protests at Makkawan Rangsit Bridge.

Yesterday afternoon they regrouped at National Stadium and marched towards Rama I, establishing a stage near the upscale Siam Paragon shopping mall. Siam Paragon and two other major malls were closed yesterday.

Besides students and businesspeople, the crowd included farmers' groups, state-enterprise employees, teachers and office workers, along with many well-to-do high-society types.

Given the venue's location, teenagers with outlandish hairstyles dressed like Japanese youngsters in nearby Siam Square wondered what was going on and why the adults were cursing the premier, once labelled the most popular in Thailand's modern history.

As the sun set in the late afternoon, more and more people arrived on Rama I Road, many of them opting to use the Skytrain to get there.

Siam Paragon announced on Tuesday it would be closed for two days, until tomorrow. Siam Centre and Siam Discovery followed Paragon's lead. All said the closure was a simple matter of security.

Suriyasai Katasila, a PAD leader, last night said the massive rally at Siam Paragon would stay on site overnight. At dawn, the crowd will be divided into two groups, one of which will march towards the nearby National Police headquarters and the other towards the Election Commission's headquarters, he said.

- TN

And why not Mogoso? The people that are protesting now are not 'easily led youths'. They are not 'ignoring the law' they are trying to instigate change. Remember...... the right to an opinion???????????? Every individual has the right to free speech. (Article 19, Universal Declaration of Human Rights).

Seonai

And why not Mogoso? The people that are protesting now are not 'easily led youths'. They are not 'ignoring the law' they are trying to instigate change. Remember...... the right to an opinion???????????? Every individual has the right to free speech. (Article 19, Universal Declaration of Human Rights).

Seonai

To a point...however business must go on, and I'll wager that after the elections you will see a major clamp down on this sort of activity. :o

nah ... when more protections are available ... and freedom of speech and freedom of the press is less restricted by frivolous lawsuits you'll see more rallies for awhile ... until there is a respnsable gov't in place

Police expect traffic this morning to worsen, advised that the people should avoid Rama 1 road.

Traffic police said that traffic condition this morning may be worse than usual, adding that the people should use the Rama 4, Petchburi, and Rama 9 roads, instead of Rama 1 road.

Commander of the Traffic Police, Major-general Panu Kerdlabpol (ภาณุ เกิดลาภผล) commented on the traffic conditions from yesterday evening’s evaluation that there were not many problems. However, he said that as most people will have to travel to work this morning, the traffic conditions in the areas may worsen, as the Rama 1 road has been closed off due to the demonstrations of the People’s Alliance for Democracy and the Thai Red Cross Fair on Ratchadamneun (ราชดำเนิน) road. He said that the people should use sky train service instead of driving and avoid using Rama 1 road by using the Rama 4, Petchburi, and Rama 9 roads instead.

Major-general Panu added that the traffic police has also produced leaflets to inform people how to avoid the traffic, while almost a hundred of officials have been prepared to provide convenience in various intersections.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 30 March 2006

PAD will move to protest in front of EC tomorrow

The People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) will stay in the Rama 1st Road areas until tomorrow morning, before moving to protest in front of the Office of Election Commission at 10 AM again.

The PAD leaders have decided to stay in front of Siam Paragon until tomorrow morning. After that, the protestors decided to stay in front of the Office of Election Commission (EC) at 10 AM tomorrow, to demand that the EC inspect Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s election fraud.

Two of the PAD leaders, Mr. Sondhi Limthongkul (สนธิ ลิ้มทองกุล) and Mr. Somsak Kosaisuk (สมศักดิ์ โกศัยสุข), said that the demonstrations follow the rule of law under democracy, while continuing to criticize Prime Minister Thaksin and close aides. They also called on the people to wear black on March 31st to April 2nd to protest the upcoming general election.

Meanwhile, Mr. Suriyasai Katasila (สุริยะใส กตะศิลา), another core figure of the PAD, said that the protestors will gather in front of the EC office until midnight tomorrow. After that, he said the protests will halt temporarily and the protests will resume on April 7th.

He said that the PAD decided to stop demonstrations because they want the people to cast their votes, adding that the PAD will evaluate election results during that period. However, he expressed confidence that election fraud will be found.

PAD leaders say the rally might continue if the protestors demand to do so

The core leaders of the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) have revealed that the protest in front of the Office of Election Commission (EC) may persist if the demonstrators demand to continue the rally.

Three of the PAD leaders, namely Mr. Sondhi Limthongkul (สนธิ ลิ้มทองกุล), Major-General Chamlong Srimuang (จำลอง ศรีเมือง) and Mr. Somsak Kosaisuk (สมศักดิ์ โกศัยสุข), have declared the reasons for moving the rally to the EC Office. They said such action is to demand the EC to investigate the fraud activities in the upcoming general election on the 2nd of April.

Mr. Sondhi added that the protest might prolong as long as the protestors demand to do so. However, he said that the meeting will be held between the core leaders again.

Meanwhile, Mr. Suriyasai Katasila (สุริยะใส กตะศิลา), the coordinator of the PAD, will lead a group of protestors to the Royal Thai Police. They will submit a letter to National Police Chief General Kovit Wattana (โกวิท วัฒนะ) to consider the allegation against Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra in relation to the privatization of EGAT.

It may be difficult to comprehend for some, but there are more sides to this issue than PAD, or pro Thaksin.

Not every side that has a problem with the government's policies does subscribe to the highly ideological aims of the PAD.

What are highly ideological aims of the PAD? The main and only point in forming PAD was to oust Thaksin and as long it stays that way there will be only two sides to the issue - pro or anti-Thaksin. Even people disagreeing with some of PAD members or speeches are still either pro or anti Thaksin. There's no middle ground. Two weeks ago there was a call for negotiations, it didn't get anywhere. Compromise can't be reached anymore.

When Thaksin is out, PAD will desintegrate faster than TRT, but who cares anyway?

While the main and only point of the PAD may be to force the PM to resign, not everyone at the demonstrations were there for that reason. The ones demonstrating at BBL and KTB, despite wearing the same headbands etc., had a different agenda. There were thousands of them (estimated at 5,000 at KTB alone), and all were calling for an increase in the TRT's policy of debt forgiveness. Different sub-groups of demonstrators want different things. This isn't as black and white as everyone thinks.

The fact that both banks gave in so quick tells me they knew the demonstrators were coming weeks ahead, giving the banks time to make the decisions.

ummm those folks might LIKE the PAD ... but they aren't the PAD .... unless you saw some of the PAD bigwigs there .... (would you schedule more than 1 rally at a time and not have bosses at each?)

If Thaksin is forced out by urban based middle class demonstrations, whose main leaders subscribe to a extremist right wing and xenophobic ideologies,

Where did you get this from? Extremist right wing? Xenophobia? Are you just trying to smear PAD on purpose?

Calls for royally sponsored PM are widespread. In that CNN report quoting the Nation (What constitutes the crisis? Corruption? Every government is corrupt?) there was a major chuink missing - Abhisit's reasoning that the call for royal intervention is NOT a step back for Democracy. You might not like Abhisit, but you can't say that he is a "right wing xenophobic extremist", too.

Where did you get this from? Extremist right wing? Xenophobia? Are you just trying to smear PAD on purpose?

I simply look at the theories of "Royal Power" that the leadership of the PAD subscribes to, and the ideas expressed in them are extreme nationalist with a racist overtone.

HM the King has in his last birthday speach in a very unusual directness distanced himself from those ideas by taking one of the main arguments of "Royal Power" apart, "The King can do no wrong", even using English as well.

I personally have liked Abhisit very much up to point when he decided to boycott the elections. With this decision he has not only lost a major part of my respect, but far more importantly, lost respect with many Thais as well.

Many Thais have problems with the TRT rule, and wish to have an alternative party to vote for, but are now forced to use the "NO" vote option.

I can't see any xenophobia in that book, not I can see any connection to other PAD leaders apart from Sondhi.

I found Chang Noi's article about various opinions of his book:

http://www.geocities.com/changnoi2/powers.htm

The other guy you mention also had some disagreements about the book I can't be bothered to search for now, but he's also just a guy with an opinion.

You can't claim the whole movement as xenophobic just because some parts of the book one of their leaders admires are disagreed upon by some scholars.

What is your gripe with the book, btw?

ummm those folks might LIKE the PAD ... but they aren't the PAD .... unless you saw some of the PAD bigwigs there .... (would you schedule more than 1 rally at a time and not have bosses at each?)

You are probably correct. I didn't get close enough to see who was yelling in the loudspeaker, although I could see that the demonstrators wore the same regalia in both places. What remains to be seen, should the PM step down, is whether his replacement (if it is non-TRT) enacts the same populist policies. Since these two banks caved in and forgave more of the debt than before, it might be a good time for the farmers to re-leverage up again and sit back and wait for the next group to forgive their debt. Now, if I could only pass for a farmer.....

I simply look at the theories of "Royal Power" that the leadership of the PAD subscribes to, and the ideas expressed in them are extreme nationalist with a racist overtone.

HM the King has in his last birthday speach in a very unusual directness distanced himself from those ideas by taking one of the main arguments of "Royal Power" apart, "The King can do no wrong", even using English as well.

I personally have liked Abhisit very much up to point when he decided to boycott the elections. With this decision he has not only lost a major part of my respect, but far more importantly, lost respect with many Thais as well.

Many Thais have problems with the TRT rule, and wish to have an alternative party to vote for, but are now forced to use the "NO" vote option.

The book Royal Powers is worth reading ... and not xenophobic ... it is instead just very "Thai Proud"

If you note the review that Plus mentioned .... the person quoted doesn't even disagree with the suppositions in the book ... just the theory behind it. I see no racism in the book .... and would differentiate the inherent pride in Thai people as different from "extreme nationalistic" <ideas>

I'll take a pass on analyzing what HM may or may not have meant ant to whom he was speaking in his BD speech!

You are probably correct. I didn't get close enough to see who was yelling in the loudspeaker, although I could see that the demonstrators wore the same regalia in both places. What remains to be seen, should the PM step down, is whether his replacement (if it is non-TRT) enacts the same populist policies. Since these two banks caved in and forgave more of the debt than before, it might be a good time for the farmers to re-leverage up again and sit back and wait for the next group to forgive their debt. Now, if I could only pass for a farmer.....

better than passing as a farmer is to just be debt free!

... it is instead just very "Thai Proud"

A matter of interpretition...

555 yes ... and strangely I was met with smiles and hellos and sawaddees at the rally for the few minutes I mingled today ... and yes I smoked there too. Maybe the people you sat nearby had seen you with the "secret service"?

Does some scholars disagreement over some of the book points justify you calling PAD right wing xenophobic extremists?

Is this the only reason you attack PAD so ferociuosly?

Not the only one.

I do not enjoy listening to "Thai Proud" :o speaches. That makes me feel a tad bit insecure as a foreigner living in Thailand.

I do not agree with demonstrations whose strategy appears to be maximum disruption of public life, including causing massive traffic jams that block the entry routes to major hospitals.

I do not agree with the PAD welcoming well known dirty politicians such as Sanoh Tienthong.

I do not like the fact that most leaders of the PAD have been keen supporters of Thaksin during his worst human rights violations, and therefore severely distrust not only their motives but also their commitment to humanistic values which i subscribe to.

But, of course, that is only a matter of opinion.

... it is instead just very "Thai Proud"

A matter of interpretition...

555 yes ... and strangely I was met with smiles and hellos and sawaddees at the rally for the few minutes I mingled today ... and yes I smoked there too. Maybe the people you sat nearby had seen you with the "secret service"?

Well, lucky you. :o

better than passing as a farmer is to just be debt free!

Despite the fact that my wife has every credit card ever issued, anywhere, we are debt free - at least until tomorrow when Siam Paragon re-opens.

I do not enjoy listening to "Thai Proud" speaches. That makes me feel a tad bit insecure as a foreigner living in Thailand.

--Maybe, I see them as pro-Thai rather than anti-farang. "Not enjoy" is not the same as "hate" and "name calling".

I do not agree with demonstrations whose strategy appears to be maximum disruption of public life, including causing massive traffic jams that block the entry routes to major hospitals.

--Come on, you hated them well before yesterday's rally.

I do not agree with the PAD welcoming well known dirty politicians such as Sanoh Tienthong.

--He appeared there only once, I believe. The point then was "even politicians as dirty as Sanoh turn against Thaksin".

I do not like the fact that most leaders of the PAD have been keen supporters of Thaksin during his worst human rights violations, and therefore severely distrust not only their motives but also their commitment to humanistic values which i subscribe to.

--But also some of the leaders condemned Thaksin very strongly at that time.

It's not even the point at the moment now - after Thaksin is gone you can continue with Sondhi/Chamlong bashing as long as you like. The point now is that discrediting PAD does not serve any useful purpose. They are the best option for ousting Thaksin, like them or not. Most PAD supporters don't have any love for Snoh, I suspect, but for a moment they put their differences aside and concentrate on the job at hand. You don't approve of it, fine, but what trying to stop them will achieve? It's just playing in Thaksin's hands, and you are not one of Thaksin's apologists.

For me, the goal of removing Thaksin is of higher priority than Chamlong's silence in 2003.

Edited by Plus

Thailand: Movie stars, music and carnival combine with

politics at anti-Thaksin rallies

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) _ It's the one place in Bangkok

that offers free all-night entertainment, regular celebrity

sightings and good, clean family fun. For a festive evening

out, one thirtysomething explained that Thailand's

anti-government protests have become the biggest attraction

in town. «I came to see the show,» said Wipavadee Phasuk,

a well-dressed marketing executive who works by day and

protests by night in the increasingly colorful campaign to

oust Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra from power. Amid a

crowd of thousands late Wednesday night, Wipavadee joined

chants of «Thaksin Get Out!» as she wandered the stalls

of vendors selling tasty Thai treats and a wide range of

anti-Thaksin protest gear. The latest addition to the usual

T-shirts and headbands is underwear with the prime

minister's face on the backside. Nearby, a Thai movie star

was signing autographs, society matrons fanned themselves

on fold-out chairs as speakers delivered fiery political

speeches and the highlight of the evening _ a lavish

Chinese-style opera about Thaksin's downfall _ was still to

come.

300647 mar 06GMT

Does some scholars disagreement over some of the book points justify you calling PAD right wing xenophobic extremists?

Is this the only reason you attack PAD so ferociuosly?

Not the only one.

I do not enjoy listening to "Thai Proud" :o speaches. That makes me feel a tad bit insecure as a foreigner living in Thailand.

I rather think you may be insecure already .... as none of my friends nor myself feel insecure about it.

You didn't agree before the demonstrations moved ... not a valid argument.

PAD is not running for office ... you yourself have harped on everyone being dirty ..... again .. kinda a lame argument

Again PAD's not running for office ... Your saying these people were supporting Thaksin's bad actions are without proof. If you really wanted to feel insecure though ... think about making statements online like "I hid people from the death squads" as you did in that other thread.

But, of course, that is only a matter of opinion.

Your points from thread to thread don't follow any internal logic .... but this is just an opinion