Bangkok: Steel Beams Tumble From M R T A Building Site, Crush Cars And Injure Commuter

webfact

I don't know this site so cannot comment on its operation, supervision or lack of etc. Putting aside what can go on in the name of making a bigger profit I remember a view held by a senior civil servant, whom I used to meet on my morning walk at our local Fitness Park, and whose idea was if you give a Thai worker a job they will immediately look for ways to cut corners and save time so that hopefully it may result in more free time for themselves.

That sir, is done in nearly ALL societies, anywhere on the world.

As a former "organisation" person I can freely adhere to that.

Follow the workers, and find out where to cut corners.

Filter out the safety issues to repair, and lo and behold, there is your profit booming.

As it is the Thai way,... the crane driver will get the most blame, because he was the one steering the crane without any further notice that the safety wiring ropes were just cheaply constructed materials that'll break due to overload...

... and the big bosses of the company will just pay a sum of money for compensation, case closed...

Have a nice day...

As a former crane operator I know that he is the responsible party for lifts on the crane he is operating. He is the final say if the lift is properly rigged and that the area is cleared before doing the lift. I know the rules and regulations are not up to OSHA/MSHA standards in the USA, but ultimately in the end it is all on the crane operator. If he says it isn't safe, then it should be discussed among the supervisors, workers and the crane operator what needs to be done to make it safe. From reading the article it seems the rigging they were using was substandard. That is not a good way to start the day or a lift.

CB

I often wondered where the responsibility lay for rigging on the ground in situations where Babu worked burjdubai.jpg

See also this:

As it is the Thai way,... the crane driver will get the most blame, because he was the one steering the crane without any further notice that the safety wiring ropes were just cheaply constructed materials that'll break due to overload...

... and the big bosses of the company will just pay a sum of money for compensation, case closed...

Have a nice day...

I am amazed you think the crane driver will get the most blame ( unless, of course, he is an immigrant worker ). Surely the car drivers are to blame because, this being Thailand, if they had not been driving their cars under the crane load their cars would not have been damaged.... wink.png

• Like 1

Have a nice day...

As a former crane operator I know that he is the responsible party for lifts on the crane he is operating. He is the final say if the lift is properly rigged and that the area is cleared before doing the lift. I know the rules and regulations are not up to OSHA/MSHA standards in the USA, but ultimately in the end it is all on the crane operator. If he says it isn't safe, then it should be discussed among the supervisors, workers and the crane operator what needs to be done to make it safe. From reading the article it seems the rigging they were using was substandard. That is not a good way to start the day or a lift.

CB

Good post-thanks

Come on folks when have any of us seen any safety policies adopted in Thailand, I doubt very much if they exist ?

I see them every day I am at work in Thailand ...but guess one must bow down to the superior knowlege of one who sits on bar stool all day and watches the world go by... wink.png

• Like 1

Come on folks when have any of us seen any safety policies adopted in Thailand, I doubt very much if they exist ?

I see them every day I am at work in Thailand ...but guess one must bow down to the superior knowlege of one who sits on bar stool all day and watches the world go by... wink.png

Ref the beams, I'd like to throw in a new word for that job site 'Spreader Bar'

Lucky I had my lucky amulet on today, not one load of steel fell on me all day whistling.gif

don't forget the garland dangling from the rearview mirror, or you're out of luck..haha Edited by gemini81

Cost analysis shows it is cheaper to pay for a few cars, even a few bodies, than implementing proper safety procedures. Nothing personal, it's just business.

I would imagine that logistically they ate working this way because there is no other.

Of course no one bothered to ask anyone if it's even legal to lift this stuff over a road. But then, no one would be working at all unless the road was closed for safety.

Every major consruction project needs to have a resident safety engineer with knowledge of safty procedures for all processes to be employed during the construction of the works. The resident safety engineer should be authorised to instruct the contruction manager to stop work on the site until any safety infringement is corrected. Might not work in Thailand though because every employee on site will claim to know everything so none will be told. I have personal experience of an entire Piling Crew walking off project because they were critiscised for ignoring safety standards. Because of their own 'Loss of Face' the pile driving crew never did return to work on that project.

Every major consruction project needs to have a resident safety engineer with knowledge of safty procedures for all processes to be employed during the construction of the works. The resident safety engineer should be authorised to instruct the contruction manager to stop work on the site until any safety infringement is corrected. Might not work in Thailand though because every employee on site will claim to know everything so none will be told. I have personal experience of an entire Piling Crew walking off project because they were critiscised for ignoring safety standards. Because of their own 'Loss of Face' the pile driving crew never did return to work on that project.

Yes those resident "safety engineers" are really effective in farangland it seems...whistling.gif

http://www.newyorkcityworkplaceaccidentsblog.com/2013/01/nyc-crane-accidents-happening-way-too-often.shtml