Think The Wife Has Lost It

muythai2013

Maybe good place to ask this question? My wife starts running thru the house unplugging every electric cord in the house when there's a lightning storm. Is this a common safety practice in Thailand? I remember my Grandmother doing this 50 years ago in Canada but no one does it now.

My g/f will watch tv in a lightning storm but refuses to use her mobile phone. Mother, father and sister are the same.

• Like 1

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very effective in a lightning storm too.

Suspend it on a single vertical pole, swivel it True North not Magnetic North, and you can make as many babies as you want,.

No pwoblem.

And receive every satellite tv channel.
  • Like 1

Didn't we have a superstition thread just recently? It was pretty well concluded that the west and east both have their own strange superstitions. Not unexpected. I would think a farang marrying a Thai would accept this and understand that he has strange superstitions (to her) as well. And surely a westerner living in Asia has heard of the concept of Feng Shui.

Very predictable they are, soon she will come out and watch a Thai drama or Ghost story, Mirror and tweezers in hand to pic at her face, covered in powder.

Then cook something as They need to eat on an hourly basis.

Stop talking about my wife !!

• Like 1

Very effective in a lightning storm too.

Suspend it on a single vertical pole, swivel it True North not Magnetic North, and you can make as many babies as you want,.

No pwoblem.

And receive every satellite tv channel.

I think I'll do the same with my pool table.

your wife not crazy, she just Thai

you must be careful which way the bed go because dead people always lay that way

also bed with 4 poles not good because same as spirit home

if you want your wife comfortable in bed, is this problem that you do this?

I watch ffotball with my boyfriend when they come to the field they always touch the concrete before they go

I ask why they do like this, he reply for 'good luck'

then he tell me about many western things

it is bad luck to have old boat name same as new boat

I would just be happy to have boat

why the big football team, all black have small animal that go with them for each game

he say for good luck

so your culture and my culture have many same thing lucky and not lucky

if she good woman to you, take good care, make your wife happy, it is good for both you

I hope that help you understand a little bit

Stop opening umbrellas indoors !!!!!

I'm surprised that she remembered all them ... who says that your partner doesn't listen to you ... I hope I didn't talk in my sleep ... whistling.gif

She was quite bemused by a number of superstitions that we have.

Black cats was one, the Football 'good luck' mascot was another.

As for positioning the bed etc ... honestly, I don't care, if it works for her and it doesn't effect me ... why bother to argue.

She didn't complain watching the Footie with me and she eventually decided on a football team to adopt as her own. I explained to her that, in Australia, sport is a major part of our Culture and if she wished to be accepted a little more, it would be good to choose a football (League) team.

When I go to Thailand, I don't point my feet towards the Monks etc.

For me, it's just a courtesy to observe their traditions.

Bit of give and take I say ... biggrin.png

If I could own a house and land, the first place I would be looking to buy would be a place that someone has just died in and is on the crossroads.

In fact thinking about it, it's a bad idea as it probably would be unlucky, I'd never have any female company sad.png

you must be careful which way the bed go because dead people always lay that way

I watch ffotball with my boyfriend when they come to the field they always touch the concrete before they go

why the big football team, all black have small animal that go with them for each game

he say for good luck

if she good woman to you, take good care, make your wife happy, it is good for both you

Stop opening umbrellas indoors !!!!!

I'm surprised that she remembered all them ... who says that your partner doesn't listen to you ... I hope I didn't talk in my sleep ... whistling.gif

She was quite bemused by a number of superstitions that we have.

Black cats was one, the Football 'good luck' mascot was another.

As for positioning the bed etc ... honestly, I don't care, if it works for her and it doesn't effect me ... why bother to argue.

She didn't complain watching the Footie with me and she eventually decided on a football team to adopt as her own. I explained to her that, in Australia, sport is a major part of our Culture and if she wished to be accepted a little more, it would be good to choose a football (League) team.

When I go to Thailand, I don't point my feet towards the Monks etc.

For me, it's just a courtesy to observe their traditions.

Bit of give and take I say ... biggrin.png

My wife decided Caberra Raiders were her team because green is her lucky colour. I just wish she'd stop wearing that hideous green wig when we go to Suncorp ... and Canberra's not playing.
  • Like 1

My wife has to wear certain color clothing depending on the day of the week. A good luck thing I'm told. Whatever works...

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My wife has to wear certain color clothing depending on the day of the week. A good luck thing I'm told. Whatever works...

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you mean the Pink and Blue and Yellow/Gold?

That has more to do with the King and queen colours then lucky.

But I don't know your personal situation.

Canberra Raiders. Not easy to say if you are Thai ...but quite endearing I'm sure.

Apologies for impertinence if wife is Australian.

Thai, and to anyone who's been to a game in Brisbane, Gold Coast or Newcastle and seen the Asian lady in the bright green wig (although sometimes she wears the cap with horns) and thought <deleted>, well, that's her ... my beloved. But I wouldn't trade her for the world.
  • Like 2

My wife decided Caberra Raiders were her team because green is her lucky colour. I just wish she'd stop wearing that hideous green wig when we go to Suncorp ... and Canberra's not playing.

The gf chose the Melbourne team because she said they had the most humsom men ... licklips.gif ... and she does have an eye for talent because I asked her for 2 players she likes and she replied Cooper Cronk and Billy Slater ... then thought about it a bit and added Cam Smith.

Sadly she thinks less of our Wallabies and favours the All Blacks ... much to the enjoyment and ribbing of my KIWI mates.

When it came to picking a league team ... I said pick a side any side ... but when it comes to State of Origin ... if you chose any side other then the Maroons ... you'll be sleeping outside ... w00t.gif

• Like 2

he say for good luck

You are gold! I would like it very much if you start some topics on here for us to read...wai.gif

Ahh! I just realised your Davids partner haha! Still great stuff well done!

Edited by krisb
  • Like 1

She says it's something to do with the direction you point a coffin at a funeral or something, can't sleep in that direction for that reason.

I'm not dead yet.

Have to humour them.

I was a monk In my younger days, I try to explain to her this has nothing to do with Buddhism, but I'm fully aware to you will never change their thinking and as it does not bother me and is quite entertaining I will let her be.

Not that we can really control them anyway.

How long have you been married?

And how long have you lived here?

Where, in Thailand, is your wife from?

The odd melding of ancient and newer religious beliefs, along with native and imported superstitions, varies a lot by region here.

Maybe best to try to expand your understanding of your wife's beliefs, rather than watching TV and expressing your negative thoughts by shaking your head, and then lamenting about your wife's beliefs on a public forum?

And here we go, I'm not against her beliefs, never have been and I am not disrespecting her on a public forum.

I respect her beliefs hence the reason I leave her to It, What we can't laugh, you got it all wrong.

We live In Australia, and we joke with each other about each others beliefs although we are Buddhist, I have been since I was very young.

I don't see anything negative here, these are part of the things I love about her.

You have issues I think.

• Like 1

Didn't we have a superstition thread just recently? It was pretty well concluded that the west and east both have their own strange superstitions. Not unexpected. I would think a farang marrying a Thai would accept this and understand that he has strange superstitions (to her) as well. And surely a westerner living in Asia has heard of the concept of Feng Shui.

another one, I had no Idea they were different, despite living there for a long time and living in a temple for a year and in a camp, I had no idea.

You would think I would have known as you said, Thankyou.

You would think you would have known some of us like to joke about it but we still respect it.

I had to move an out-building that i had started to construct already had the footing and 1st few rows of blocks down, when a spirit guide advised that where the building was going, was actually where the spirit house should go , My wife made me knock it down just for the sake of putting the spirit house there . , There was a perfectly good spot just to the side but OH no we had to move the building 6 ft over. After she said she agreed with me that the spirit house didnt need to be there but she felt embarassed for the guide and didnt want her to loose face. bloody great.. not that I didnt loose a couple of days work and a few grand in building supplies.

• Like 1

Tell her the head should also not be backed up to a window.

You may need to help her in the end ... to move it to the garage.

Babies cot cannot be near a doorway either, so she is arranging it around the cot also.

Ghosts come through the door so Babies should not be their, and looking in the mirror can stop the babies teeth from growing so the cot must go on the other side.

Im in stitches, cracking up, she is not amused by my laughter.

Since all babies' teeth in Thailand always grow in, (some with a vengeance), it is clear that they are on the right track, because nobody in the country would put their baby by a mirror.

Funny that she is using a scientific instrument to ascertain the best way to satisfy a superstition. Buy her a GT200 with a Feng Shui card... I hear they are going cheap right now.

• Like 2

She says it's something to do with the direction you point a coffin at a funeral or something, can't sleep in that direction for that reason.

I'm not dead yet.

Have to humour them.

I was a monk In my younger days, I try to explain to her this has nothing to do with Buddhism, but I'm fully aware to you will never change their thinking and as it does not bother me and is quite entertaining I will let her be.

That's exactly right. The head of the bed cannot be towards the west. That's reserved for the head of the coffin! That was my wife's only rule.

I'm not dead yet.

Have to humour them.

That's exactly right. The head of the bed cannot be towards the west. That's reserved for the head of the coffin! That was my wife's only rule.

only one rule, your lucky.

My Wife Is well educated, Worked for Siam Commercial Bank In the past so you would think she is a modern woman.

No offense but I wouldn't think so. I haven't met a single genuinely "modern" woman (nor man) in Thailand sofar. No matter if they wear jeans and bleach their hair, they're Thai (mind you, not a bad thing perse!!) and Thai aren't what I'd call modern. They are hyper-superstitious/anxious and proud about it ;-)

Very predictable they are, soon she will come out and watch a Thai drama or Ghost story, Mirror and tweezers in hand to pic at her face, covered in powder.

Then cook something as They need to eat on an hourly basis.

The tweezers are for under her arms...

• Like 1