Foreigners And Thais Nothing In Common We Can Relate To, To Talk About

livinthailandos

I'll never live here full time. I'll always be in that massive brigade that wanders in and out of Thailand when it suits us. By the sounds of it making the decision to live full time in Thailand has made many of you miserable.

Forgive me if I pass on the opportunity to join you in wallowing in your misery, I want to enjoy life.

That's news ! ...I thought we were just wrong or racist and our "misery" imaginary clap2.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pool is a great convo starter.... You can carry a convo about pool while playing pool for a good while..

IT is an easy topic, latest gadgets and electronics, clubs, food, social problems, politics, movies, celeb gossip if its a girl..

It might surprise some people to find out that Thai's are part of the human race.... The similarities far outweigh the differences...

Edited by Jigger

Most Thai men like Football and Beer so they are good subjects. My Brother-in- Law likes talking about Chickens and his Yellow Bus and my Neighbour likes talking about when he worked in the Middle East. Never really had a problem in this way.

A friend of mine who speaks Thai pretty well always told me that they can hold a 2 hour conversation about something as simple as a soup spoon.

On the other hand the one who do have a different view/opinion don't get to live very long, so that might explain the spoon conversation ...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/27/murder-environmentalist-thailand-failure

• Like 2

Pool is a great convo starter.... You can carry a convo about pool while playing pool for a good while..

IT is an easy topic, latest gadgets and electronics, clubs, food, social problems, politics, movies, celeb gossip if its a girl..

It might surprise some people to find out that Thai's are part of the human race.... The similarities far outweigh the differences...

Cool!

I'll try crochet as convo starter next time! w00t.gif

I bump into retired Thai military guys occasionally. Many speak fluent english. They seem to enjoy talking to a fellow old bastard such as myself, as I enjoy talking with them.

I'll never live here full time. I'll always be in that massive brigade that wanders in and out of Thailand when it suits us. By the sounds of it making the decision to live full time in Thailand has made many of you miserable.

Forgive me if I pass on the opportunity to join you in wallowing in your misery, I want to enjoy life.

That's news ! ...I thought we were just wrong or racist and our "misery" imaginary clap2.gif

I was out the other week with a Doctor, who owns several clinics and pharmacies, as well as two extraordinarily busy hotels, with plans to build a third this year, the other guests included a Phuket property developer who was educated at the University of Hawaii. She effectively retired from the day to day operation of her business to raise 4 adopted kids at the age of 27. With us was the ex-wife of a British commercial pilot who is now a British passport holder and spends her time flitting back and forth from the UK to Thailand as it suits her. She's the " lady that lunch " type. Heiress to a family fortune built by her Chinese father.

Also in the company was a business woman who owns several shops in Chiang Mai, and a university lecturer. So how about you? Can you beat that? Are you a successful independent lady, business owner, degree qualified? According to you, all of these people are completely clueless to World affairs. You see, how can they be? They are Thai? and according to you that disqualifies them from original thought. Only fit to believe the propaganda forced down their throats by central government eh?

Quite frankly, you don't have a clue.

So, wealth is your only parameter in life ?

No......and quite frankly an idiotic statement. Please note my reference to the Doctor and University lecturer, as well as the developer being educated at the University Of Hawaii. Also note my question if that particular member was degree qualified.

As far as I'm concerned there's a brigade here that just cannot accept that Thais can be highly educated, and worldly wise. To take it one stage further, there's a brigade that can't accept that many Thais are more successful in life than they could ever hope to be.

There's a rancid stench of racism running through this thread.

Edited by theblether
  • Like 1

poeple in a particular culture discuss what is important to them withn their daily lving. here , we can have a conversation for an hour about whether someone likes cilantro or parsley in a particular dish (clue, its either love or hate for those two herbs in food here)... or political (whichi despise) or football (that would be israeli football; everyhting else is just mondial or the other world chamion one), or political, or how much a person earns at their job (here everyone asks and everyone tells, its a matter of pride to be underpaid so u can complain about it endlessly)... whats so different? the thais here think we are nut cases with our political yelling matches.

much more beneficial to discuss recipes... at least , in the end, it is something productive that u can eat.

and ive heard many thais discussing internal (thai) politics but they wont with me maybe thinking i would not understand, or i would look down or confront them with information 'from the other side' ... and the guys here like to discuss chickens (but so do i, since i raise them also)... dogs, cars, cellphones, frankly, sounds pretty much what i hear around me among the natives here also.

most people nowadasy dont walk around discussing books or philosophy unless the conditions are right for that type of discussion , like at a conference, or a luncheon with people that are like minded. gossip? where i live, gossip is number two only to food and/or 'what my children are doing now' conversations.

for intellectual stimulation, i have work friends and girlfriends, for daily lving, my husband, for unusal things, forums on the internet (house chickens, dogs, permaculture, organic gardening, thaivisa, ya;ll get my drift.)

bina

israel

• Like 1

But Bina, according to some members here your Thai husband is totally oblivious to all the important issues.

I think it's deeply insulting and prejudicial, I happen to know Thai members of Thaivisa who are internationally travelled and independent people. People that can wander in to the relevant embassy and get a visa to visit Western countries with ease. I know of one Thai female who, get this, got a visa off her own back, jumped on a plane to London, and participated in a top level conference relevant to her trade, wandered around London for a few days then wait for it, got back on the plane and flew back to her high flying job in BKK.

Some of the members of this forum are ignorant beyond belief, they truly, truly don't have a clue.

Cool!

I'll try crochet as convo starter next time! w00t.gif

You might get lucky... Wouldn't be my first choice though lol.

Not so sure not so different:

Why are you reading a book again? w00t.gif

Reminds me an old joke: "Guys, Jimmy's birthday is coming soon. What should we give him for a present?

- How about a book?

- Naaay, I have been to his place and saw he already has one..." laugh.png

The debate "To learn or not to learn Thai language" never dies here.

The big questions are - Given that you spend long time and great effort to master Thai, - what would you say? Who would care? What would be the answer?

I really hate myself for sounding so sanctimonious, but... tongue.png

Actually I don't speak Thai ... my conversations are limited to their English.

I'm happy to kick back, enjoy a beer, look at the girls and let the rest wash over me.

It is what it is ... her friends are always happy to see me.

I was out the other week with a Doctor, who owns several clinics and pharmacies, as well as two extraordinarily busy hotels, with plans to build a third this year, the other guests included a Phuket property developer who was educated at the University of Hawaii. She effectively retired from the day to day operation of her business to raise 4 adopted kids at the age of 27. With us was the ex-wife of a British commercial pilot who is now a British passport holder and spends her time flitting back and forth from the UK to Thailand as it suits her. She's the " lady that lunch " type. Heiress to a family fortune built by her Chinese father.

Also in the company was a business woman who owns several shops in Chiang Mai, and a university lecturer. So how about you? Can you beat that? Are you a successful independent lady, business owner, degree qualified? According to you, all of these people are completely clueless to World affairs. You see, how can they be? They are Thai? and according to you that disqualifies them from original thought. Only fit to believe the propaganda forced down their throats by central government eh?

You are mentioning financial success, apparently it means everything to you, but what does it have to do with the fact they did not learn critical thinking ?

I have never said they cannot KNOW about current affairs, especially the one who travel, but it does not mean they have their own thought an opinions about it ?

As Amycat was suggesting,people of her own "class" (ie with money) have very little understanding of current affairs or no more than poor people.

They usually repeat what you say to please you or try to avoid the topic or say something completely random.

Edited by Kitsune
  • Like 2

Personally I have a very good Thai friend whose parents were from Vietnam and he calls himself, in a joking fashion a farrang. We meet for a couple of beers twice a week and he talks about Thai politics, religion ,news etc etc for example the farrari driving cop killer was a subject he brought up and I value his opinion but we sometimes disagree as all people do. We still stay friends though even after heated debates.

The man is retired he owns two hardware stores run by his son's and alway's insists on buying the beer.

I mention this because he never asks me for anything only friendship, he speaks some English and I speak some Thai so we can communicate well.

He's not well educated but self educated in the way the world works, he loves reading and watching English language world news (his words).

He's a mate, when a pretty girl walks by we stop talking, smile at her, we smile at each other and "say what were we talking about". Just like mates the world over.

• Like 2

Personally I have a very good Thai friend whose parents were from Vietnam and he calls himself, in a joking fashion a farrang. We meet for a couple of beers twice a week and he talks about Thai politics, religion ,news etc etc for example the farrari driving cop killer was a subject he brought up and I value his opinion but we sometimes disagree as all people do. We still stay friends though even after heated debates.

The man is retired he owns two hardware stores run by his son's and alway's insists on buying the beer.

I mention this because he never asks me for anything only friendship, he speaks some English and I speak some Thai so we can communicate well.

He's not well educated but self educated in the way the world works, he loves reading and watching English language world news (his words).

He's a mate, when a pretty girl walks by we stop talking, smile at her, we smile at each other and "say what were we talking about". Just like mates the world over.

Yes he's a farang, his education might have been compensated by his Vietnamese parents.

I find conversation topics with people I know well difficult enough as mostly they share their uninformed opinions about which I care nothing. I've definitely no interest in listening to uninformed opinions in a language not my own! Mostly I talk about things which amuse me, a large part of which is schadenfreude. I don't imagine that is a Thai characteristic at all.

Yes he's a farang, his education might have been compensated by his Vietnamese parents.

He was born in Thailand, his parents were Vietnamese, my parents are Scottish but I am definately English as I was born there ( I am sorry to say wink.png )

I find conversation topics with people I know well difficult enough as mostly they share their uninformed opinions about which I care nothing. I've definitely no interest in listening to uninformed opinions in a language not my own! Mostly I talk about things which amuse me, a large part of which is schadenfreude. I don't imagine that is a Thai characteristic at all.

Schadenfreude maybe the problem here, in fact finding friends anywhere smile.png

He was born in Thailand, his parents were Vietnamese, my parents are Scottish but I am definately English as I was born there ( I am sorry to say Posted Image )

You've a great deal to thank your parents for, they took you out of Scotland.

• Like 2

But Bina, according to some members here your Thai husband is totally oblivious to all the important issues.

I think it's deeply insulting and prejudicial, I happen to know Thai members of Thaivisa who are internationally travelled and independent people. People that can wander in to the relevant embassy and get a visa to visit Western countries with ease. I know of one Thai female who, get this, got a visa off her own back, jumped on a plane to London, and participated in a top level conference relevant to her trade, wandered around London for a few days then wait for it, got back on the plane and flew back to her high flying job in BKK.

Some of the members of this forum are ignorant beyond belief, they truly, truly don't have a clue.

I once congratulated you on your writing skills in English, now I must also congratulate you on your ability to twist what other say, so that it either agrees with your bigoted point of view or to twist their post into something they did not say.

You are mentioning financial success, apparently it means everything to you, but what does it have to do with the fact they did not learn critical thinking ?

I have never said they cannot KNOW about current affairs, especially the one who travel, but it does not mean they have their own thought an opinions about it ?

As Amycat was suggesting,people of her own "class" (ie with money) have very little understanding of current affairs or no more than poor people.

They usually repeat what you say to please you or try to avoid the topic or say something completely random.

Well, I'm sure you know theBlether's dinner companions better than he does, from your deep insight into Thai culture and their personalities.

Whenever I was away on business with a Thai colleague, I never found the conversation dull, but that is probably because I fitted in well, lacking in sophistication and interest in world affairs. I don't think I once considered turning the course of conversation to philosophy or high art.

SC

• Like 1

Look at me I'm rich, I mix with rich people.

I waited, but not for long, there you go.

But back to the OP, it' right, I have nothing in common with you.

• Like 1

He was born in Thailand, his parents were Vietnamese, my parents are Scottish but I am definately English as I was born there ( I am sorry to say wink.png )

You've a great deal to thank your parents for, they took you out of Scotland.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/544676-by-special-request/page-2#entry5782802

So, you are saying his parents did not take any part in his education ?

Well, I'm sure you know theBlether's dinner companions better than he does, from your deep insight into Thai culture and their personalities.

Whenever I was away on business with a Thai colleague, I never found the conversation dull, but that is probably because I fitted in well, lacking in sophistication and interest in world affairs. I don't think I once considered turning the course of conversation to philosophy or high art.

SC

May I point out that it was a question ? (does money gives you critical thinking)

I am sure his friends have many qualities, but in his lengthy description none of them related to critical thinking.

• Like 1

SC

May I point out that it was a question ? (does money gives you critical thinking)

I am sure his friends have many qualities, but in his lengthy description none of them related to critical thinking.

Naturally only we Whiteys are capable of critical thinking, those little brown people are just incapable of it huh?

• Like 1