Foreigners And Thais Nothing In Common We Can Relate To, To Talk About

livinthailandos

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You seem to have taken a flier at this without thinking. Yes there are some Thai people who have poor access to media, and there will be plenty who are disinterested, but there are plenty more who are just as interested in world news and the like as the rest of us.

We will have to disagree on this.

Most Thais I know wouldn't be bothered if the rest of the world died tomorrow.

Trouble is TB, you're still essentially a tourist here, it's very hard for any foreigner to really interact with Thais, impossible for a tourist.

I'm not getting your point, so by not being " resident " in the country it's impossible for me to have meaningful conversations with Thais?

That's absurd.

Then again I'm used to seeing absurdities here.

They have access to the same outlets we have, newspapers, internet, and TV. There are some issues where the media controls stifle discussion as we know, but reporting of international news and the like is of a decent standard.

You seem to have taken a flier at this without thinking. Yes there are some Thai people who have poor access to media, and there will be plenty who are disinterested, but there are plenty more who are just as interested in world news and the like as the rest of us.

Access to the media means NOTHING when you dont have the critical tools to use & understand them

You're digging an even deeper hole. Thai bashing of the first order, out and out racism.

Incidentally your posting style put's me in mind of Aneliane.

They have access to the same outlets we have, newspapers, internet, and TV. There are some issues where the media controls stifle discussion as we know, but reporting of international news and the like is of a decent standard.

Access to the media means NOTHING when you dont have the critical tools to use & understand them

Next you will be telling us the Yellow shirt and Red shirt shenannagngs over the past years was just decided over a Leo or two, "come on somchai lets wear a coloured shirt and go demonstrate"....yeah, nothing to do with the media eh!!

I wanted to "LIKE" this twice, but cannot do! I would like to "Like" it even 3 times! I believe this is the main problem, with "communications" between most locals and us. Note I did not say ALL. Overall, lacking this, means most communications beyond the superficial level, can never get beyond the superficial level, no matter what the subject is. At least to us Western people or thinkers.

• Like 2

I wanted to "LIKE" this twice, but cannot do! I would like to "Like" it even 3 times! I believe this is the main problem, with "communications" between most locals and us. Note I did not say ALL. Overall, lacking this, means most communications beyond the superficial level, can never get beyond the superficial level, no matter what the subject is. At least to us Western people or thinkers.

A sad reflection of who you are mixing with.

Trouble is TB, you're still essentially a tourist here, it's very hard for any foreigner to really interact with Thais, impossible for a tourist.

Not knowing much outside of their own country is more of an American thing!

I work with over 200 Thai's, males and females, and interact with them as a normal human being on a daily basis, some mates, some you go to the pub with, some you flirt with, some you speak <deleted> with - all normal as far as i see it.

not really an American thing but more like a subtle american bashing. Oh well, everyone is doing it ...
  • Like 1

You're digging an even deeper hole. Thai bashing of the first order, out and out racism.

Incidentally your posting style put's me in mind of Aneliane.

How can it be Thai bashing when I am actually looking for excuses to explain their lack of knowledge.

This is Thai excusing to the contrary

I'm not accusing people, just describing the system, you seem to ignore

Who is Anelaine?

An iPad supposedly gives you the type of access to information, Kings used to have centuries ago.

What good is it when 99% of your use is to play Jewels (for girls), Car race or watch iron man III ( boys), or go on Facebook?

• Like 1

"Please Blether, don't go down to that level. REALLY??? I'm not living in Issan, I live in the 2nd largest city in Thailand, and have been here for 1nearly 10 years. I am a woman, I think you know, so I am not mixing with hookers or bargirls, have never been to a go-go place, beer hall, pool hall, whatever. I have a graduate level education, a decent amount of money, so have never slummed it here. (I don't mean to put people down who have, less of whatever, who love hookers, I am open to it all.) I have had as good an opportunity to meet good Thai people as anyone else, other than maybe those people with executive jobs in BKK.

And actually, after several years of "mixing" with Thais, I just gave up, and MIX with just about no people. Mainly because of things brought up in this thread. I have mixed with my educational and social and economical "equals" here, and did not find that we were really well matched. Most of the time, they seemed to be faking their opinions and discussions based on what they thought a farang wanted to hear, a common problem here, and also, hoping to make money from me, send their kids to live with my rich parents in the US, hoped to get a job from me, or any number of things. Feeling like we were "sympatico" was surely not part of their thinking.

I know you spend a lot of time here, and I respect that, but living here, year after year, and day after day, in a house, not a hotel, will teach you some things, that I believe you think you already know. However, you seem to have a good life in the UK and here, so I am happy for that, try to keep that if you can!"

What snob, your own company will suit you just fine!

Edited by LennyW

Thanks Amy, I "liked" your comment too !

As westerners, if we had a half decent education, we have learn to develop our own ideas, and have critical thinking.

Medias have a long history of deceit, lies, pretend etc.. We have learnt to use them rather than to be used by them.

Not in the program here.

• Like 1

How about family?......is that not important in Thailand?

I think it was 69% of husbands and 59% of wives that are unfaithful here.Obviously divorce being not popular, you can imagine the atmosphere in most Thai families : lies, deceits, betray, lack of trust, of respect etcOh and they stay because of face & money of course ;)These types of settings are disastrous for the kids

Good to read that i am not the only 1 who thinks like you.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Until one is known and trusted, then a whole new world of likes/dislikes/conflicts etc appears, and it is easy to realise the Thai are much the same as the rest of the world, the illusion created by their apparent dislike of confrontation is just that...an illusion.

"Please Blether, don't go down to that level. REALLY??? I'm not living in Issan, I live in the 2nd largest city in Thailand, and have been here for 1nearly 10 years. I am a woman, I think you know, so I am not mixing with hookers or bargirls, have never been to a go-go place, beer hall, pool hall, whatever. I have a graduate level education, a decent amount of money, so have never slummed it here. (I don't mean to put people down who have, less of whatever, who love hookers, I am open to it all.) I have had as good an opportunity to meet good Thai people as anyone else, other than maybe those people with executive jobs in BKK.

And actually, after several years of "mixing" with Thais, I just gave up, and MIX with just about no people. Mainly because of things brought up in this thread. I have mixed with my educational and social and economical "equals" here, and did not find that we were really well matched. Most of the time, they seemed to be faking their opinions and discussions based on what they thought a farang wanted to hear, a common problem here, and also, hoping to make money from me, send their kids to live with my rich parents in the US, hoped to get a job from me, or any number of things. Feeling like we were "sympatico" was surely not part of their thinking.

I know you spend a lot of time here, and I respect that, but living here, year after year, and day after day, in a house, not a hotel, will teach you some things, that I believe you think you already know. However, you seem to have a good life in the UK and here, so I am happy for that, try to keep that if you can!"

What snob, your own company will suit you just fine!

Sorry you feel that way. Maybe I could go get a lobotomy to erase my past life and make you feel better.

You are aware, aren't you, that there are different levels of education in the world, different levels of just about everything right? Better one can be where one fits in the best. I think it is obvious that "theblether" was accusing me of only associating with the lowest of people here, and why would I not want to defend that, especially if it isn't true? If it was true, I suppose I would have said that and agreed with him. But on the other hand, are YOU or is HE saying people with a lower education/money, are all scum, stupid, or something along those lines? Because I wasn't saying that.

• Like 2

They have access to the same outlets we have, newspapers, internet, and TV. There are some issues where the media controls stifle discussion as we know, but reporting of international news and the like is of a decent standard. You seem to have taken a flier at this without thinking. Yes there are some Thai people who have poor access to media, and there will be plenty who are disinterested, but there are plenty more who are just as interested in world news and the like as the rest of us.

Next you will be telling us the Yellow shirt and Red shirt shenannagngs over the past years was just decided over a Leo or two, "come on somchai lets wear a coloured shirt and go demonstrate"....yeah, nothing to do with the media eh!!

Ignorance is a bliss !

I have used the same driver from Pattaya to Swampy airport the last 4-5 years. We always talk cars/motorbikes, it's a topic we are both interested in.

My wife and I talks about everything, okay she don't follow world politics much, she is not interested. She is mostly interested in things nearby.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You do get a completely different perspective

I'm not getting your point, so by not being " resident " in the country it's impossible for me to have meaningful conversations with Thais?

That's absurd.

Then again I'm used to seeing absurdities here.

When you live here full time you do get a completely different perspective on the Thai way. I visited Thailand 1or 2 times a year for 13yrs before I finally came here to live, I soon realized how little I knew about the Thai's. Having now lived here for a further 13yrs,

I can now say I know everything about Thai people, BUT equally I've come to the conclusion that I now know nothing about them whats so ever. One of the problems with having a meaningful conversation with a Thai is, are they being truthful with you, sometimes they may just simple lie to you while smiling, other times they will agree with you as they do not want to offend you or to be confrontational, this of course can happen to Expats as well as tourist.

tourist.

Nontabury ...I also want to give you several "LIKES" !! Hope you are having a nice evening!

Never really had a desire to hang out with Thai guys when I first came here.

Have much less now.

Some of the women seem okay as long as they're not wannabe hiso's or possessing the local crab-in-a-bucket mentality.

As westerners, if we had a half decent education, we have learn to develop our own ideas, and have critical thinking.

Medias have a long history of deceit, lies, pretend etc.. We have learnt to use them rather than to be used by them.

Not in the program here.

Maybe it's not so apparent here but that's only because it's still a developing country.

The Thais do question what they're told by the media but, like most people back home, only matters that they consider to be important.It's not like the ability to develop our own ideas and think critically hasmade our homelands such a model of success requiring every fibre of our being to wrench ourselves from to live here, is it?

Please Blether, don't go down to that level. REALLY??? I'm not living in Issan, I live in the 2nd largest city in Thailand, and have been here for 1nearly 10 years. I am a woman, I think you know, so I am not mixing with hookers or bargirls, have never been to a go-go place, beer hall, pool hall, whatever. I have a graduate level education, a decent amount of money, so have never slummed it here. (I don't mean to put people down who have, less of whatever, who love hookers, I am open to it all.) I have had as good an opportunity to meet good Thai people as anyone else, other than maybe those people with executive jobs in BKK.

I know you spend a lot of time here, and I respect that, but living here, year after year, and day after day, in a house, not a hotel, will teach you some things, that I believe you think you already know. However, you seem to have a good life in the UK and here, so I am happy for that, try to keep that if you can!

No offense but wasn't it a bit stupid to tell people how rich your parents in the US are?

Isn't that the female equivalent of a man wanting so much for a girl to like him that he tells her he's got a huge pension fund and is then heard to complain when subsequent conversations or interactions seem to revolve around his finances?

Did you get on well with everyone within your socio-economic group back home? Lord knows I didn't in mine.

Truth can be pretty simple sometimes. you just didn't like the people you met.

Im am not saying that Thai people cannot use social networks and alike to organize demos

I'm saying that using an iPad to play Jewels or Car racing won't give you a better insight of the world

As westerners, if we had a half decent education, we have learn to develop our own ideas, and have critical thinking.Medias have a long history of deceit, lies, pretend etc.. We have learnt to use them rather than to be used by them.Not in the program here.

Maybe it's not so apparent here but that's only because it's still a developing country. The Thais do question what they're told by the media but, like most people back home, only matters that they consider to be important.It's not like the ability to develop our own ideas and think critically hasmade our homelands such a model of success requiring every fibre of our being to wrench ourselves from to live here, is it?

> Please Blether, don't go down to that level. REALLY??? I'm not living in Issan, I live in the 2nd largest city in Thailand, and have been here for 1nearly 10 years. I am a woman, I think you know, so I am not mixing with hookers or bargirls, have never been to a go-go place, beer hall, pool hall, whatever. I have a graduate level education, a decent amount of money, so have never slummed it here. (I don't mean to put people down who have, less of whatever, who love hookers, I am open to it all.) I have had as good an opportunity to meet good Thai people as anyone else, other than maybe those people with executive jobs in BKK. And actually, after several years of "mixing" with Thais, I just gave up, and MIX with just about no people. Mainly because of things brought up in this thread. I have mixed with my educational and social and economical "equals" here, and did not find that we were really well matched. Most of the time, they seemed to be faking their opinions and discussions based on what they thought a farang wanted to hear, a common problem here, and also, hoping to make money from me, send their kids to live with my rich parents in the US, hoped to get a job from me, or any number of things. Feeling like we were "sympatico" was surely not part of their thinking. I know you spend a lot of time here, and I respect that, but living here, year after year, and day after day, in a house, not a hotel, will teach you some things, that I believe you think you already know. However, you seem to have a good life in the UK and here, so I am happy for that, try to keep that if you can!

No offense but wasn't it a bit stupid to tell people how rich your parents in the US are?Isn't that the female equivalent of a man wanting so much for a girl to like him that he tells her he's got a huge pension fund and is then heard to complain when subsequent conversations or interactions seem to revolve around his finances? Did you get on well with everyone within your socio-economic group back home? Lord knows I didn't in mine.Truth can be pretty simple sometimes. you just didn't like the people you met.
Well, I can't say that I told anyone how rich my parents are. Some people met my parents when they came here, several times. They were at the airport, when they arrived in "not ecomony class." Some people asked detailed questions. Some people looked through my photos of life, homes, vacations, something I think is quite normal when you are becoming (or think you are) good friends with people. MANY people, asked me direct questions about what I had, earned, what things cost, etc, and I either did not answer or if it was something stupid, like a watch, or a shirt, I lied and said much less. My Mother, also thought it was a good idea, to get a fake diamond ring, made to look like her real wedding ring, and wear it here!! I wanted to KILL her! She went to all that bother to show off her God damn stupid ring, but a fake! When I asked her, HOW Is someone, a criminal, who follows us home to kill us and steal your ring that should buy him a nice house and a good car, going to know it is a FAKE??? He won't KNOW until after we are DEAD and he tries to sell it. She even had it made in real gold, just a fake diamond! That was immediately locked up in my safe. Also, some of the most "friendly people" were my lawyers, and since I have a legal education, maybe we might have something in common? Did we, no, not really. I found most of them to be massive scammers, with "fake" legal educations, who got annoyed by my constant questioning, and diligence, since they had at best the concentration and detail levels, as a McDonalds employee (except for some in BKK, who have major international names) I wasn't very impressed. They also asked very inapporopriate questions about my finances, that had NOTHING to do with my legal needs, even when I refused to say certain numbers, they tried to guess ..."do you have more than X but less than XX?" It was sickening. I was really worried about giving ANYONE here, real numbers, they wanted account numbers, amounts, etc, and I never gave anyone, anything! I was and would be worried about various types of fraud, or kidnapping, or who knows what? I can say I have never been much of a liar, I find it very difficult to do. But in Thailand, on every document I have filled out, regarding anything, I have lied about my income, for sure. I put whatever I think the very minimum might need to be, in order to do what I want to do. If you were to look me up in Thailand you would probably find that I "earn" 20,000 a month and never more. I even lie on the tourist bullshit form I had to fill out all the time when I was doing toursit visas. When I was really new here, I probably gave away too much info. But when you read about Thai culture or even Asian culture, you read that asking about your money, your education, your family is part of the deal. It certainly wasn't in the context of bragging. As you might know, bragging in Western culture if frowned upon, and I am pretty good about living up to my own culture. And please don't insult me by asking why am I doing it here, if I am, because this is, let me remind you, an anonymous forum. If you can point me out at Rimping or Tesco, okay, I give you some points, but otherwise, please refrain from stupid comments. Anyway, I am not as well off as you might be thinking, so don't try to kidnap me please!

If you are single and goodlooking PM me please !

• Like 2

No offense but wasn't it a bit stupid to tell people how rich your parents in the US are?

Isn't that the female equivalent of a man wanting so much for a girl to like him that he tells her he's got a huge pension fund and is then heard to complain when subsequent conversations or interactions seem to revolve around his finances?

Did you get on well with everyone within your socio-economic group back home? Lord knows I didn't in mine.

Truth can be pretty simple sometimes. you just didn't like the people you met.

By the way, I mean to say also, that I agree with your post mostly, just that I wasn't ever bragging. And I agree that is does seem strange, I have thought this many times, that men come here hoping to have the advantage with local women due to having money, but then get mad that they only want them for money! I guess what most really hope, is that they will have an advantage with money, but the girl will see how great they are, and really love them for themselves, and the money is just a small portion in "needing security", etc.

But no matter what the social/economic group I come across at home, I have more in common with them, than with any person I have ever met in Thailand. Times 100000000. And I really miss that!

Hearing my MIL's 3 hour monologue, I am glad I have a poor understanding of Thai

clap2.gif

Same here, I do understand some of the conversations here, and I am glad I can pull up the excuse of poor language skill not to participate