Foreigners And Thais Nothing In Common We Can Relate To, To Talk About

livinthailandos

First don't know if this is just me or if its just that I've lived and worked here to long. I've been here in thailand off and on almost 10 years. During this time here I've come to understand a descent enough amount of the thai language to be proficient enough to more than get by, that being said while I understand we have lots of differences in many aspects there seems to be nothing I can find to relate to with thai people in terms of general conversation except food, just wondered if other people had this similiar experience.

• Like 2

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Thai men like Football and Beer so they are good subjects. My Brother-in- Law likes talking about Chickens and his Yellow Bus and my Neighbour likes talking about when he worked in the Middle East. Never really had a problem in this way.

Same, just the language is a problem. Im not that great at it but thats my problem not theirs. I like talking to the local farmers about their livestock or what theyre growing. Then the guy next door about houses hes building. Of course we all talk about food I suppose but not just about food.

Have you tried talking about other things than food? I kind of dont understand why you seem to only talk about it? Not that Thai foods not good to talk about!

I live in issaan & find most locals like to talk to me in a limited way (language probs of course).Always be polite & friendly & they really appreciate if you are interested in them.A small knowledge of Thai (I carry a small phrasebook & dictionary that is most usful) or issaan can go a long way & if you can develop any sort of friendship your quality of life will be better,but always avoid drunks as its a total no no.Hope this is of interst & help smile.png

• Like 2

ok so if I understand you correctly , foreigners ( that means tourists or others who or working or have their own business here and are not thais, from rest of the world, that is 193 countries in total - 1 country ie Thailand ) have nothing 2 talk in common.

thats a big statement to make, in Thailand there are people from almost every corner of the world and as far as I feel is that if not a particular nation then maybe others can connect with them and at the same item if we have everything in common then it wouldn't have been a different country n most of tourist come here to explore culture so it's cool and new experience for them as well.

Asian continent it's itself vast enough so I feel other Asian countrymen like korea, Philippines, malasiya, Singapore, Japan, india or china will definitely be able to connect in terms of common topics of interests.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Here is a few topics : why did the power go off last night ? again Lets buy more trees? why?

when will the road get fixed ? Why are you reading a book again? because I like books. I want to talk to you.

who got killed on a motorbike yesterday ? Its 10pm time to sleep. What are you watching ? my tv program. why? because

who is your brother having it off with now ? you wont talk to me. I'm reading. Why are you? because...... !! Now you're

When will it rain? or stop raining ? angry.

did you see the large snake in the driveway? Those orchids are beautiful.

do we want to go to the market today ? I love living here.

I don't like Leo beer anymore. I want to live in another country. You'll pay tax and earn less money. Why?

Isn't the garden looking good ? !!!?*!!

Who rang you? I'm going to stop FILS boxing chickens from coming in here ! You don't like my

Where are my keys ? father. grrrr!?

There is a few examples not that different from anywhere else really.

Thats just small talk.

Hardly a meaningful conversation as i suspect the op was referring to...

rolleyes.gif I've talked about such topics as my Thai wife's father who was once a policeman back in WW2 time and was a member (verified) of the Thai resistance to the Japanese occupation .

He had a certificate given to his group after the war by the Allies for helping to rescue pilots shot down during raids on Japanese targets in Thailand.

I've talked to her about her first husband, an Aussie who left her with no money and 3 kids to raise. He went back to Australia and eventually drank himself to death.

I got her a copy of the Australian Police death report, so she could legally get him declared dead and her marriage dissolved with the Thai government.

Or her uncle, the monk, who chose to die from cancer, rather than get the treatment he simply couldn't afford because that would put his family into a financial crises and it would mean they had to sell there rice land and not be able to send the kids to school.

Little things like that,

No, I've never had any serious talks with a Thai. We have nothing in common to talk about.

rolleyes.gif

These are personal accounts.

Once these issues are solved, what do you talk about?

Thai people have limited access to the world news, politic, culture, current affairs etc, simply because they don't learn to have an interest in those

• Like 2

Here is a few topics : why did the power go off last night ? again Lets buy more trees? why?

when will the road get fixed ? Why are you reading a book again? because I like books. I want to talk to you.

who got killed on a motorbike yesterday ? Its 10pm time to sleep. What are you watching ? my tv program. why? because

who is your brother having it off with now ? you wont talk to me. I'm reading. Why are you? because...... !! Now you're

When will it rain? or stop raining ? angry.

did you see the large snake in the driveway? Those orchids are beautiful.

do we want to go to the market today ? I love living here.

I don't like Leo beer anymore. I want to live in another country. You'll pay tax and earn less money. Why?

Isn't the garden looking good ? !!!?*!!

Who rang you? I'm going to stop FILS boxing chickens from coming in here ! You don't like my

Where are my keys ? father. grrrr!?

There is a few examples not that different from anywhere else really.

Thats just small talk.

Hardly a meaningful conversation as i suspect the op was referring to...

A real engaging conversation about life, philosophy, politics, love etc does not happen often to me no matter if I am in Thailand or in Europe. And when it does it is with close family or close friends. So if you have any good close thai friends it could happen - but not many farangs in Thailand have that. I certainly don't.

When saying/admitting that someone knows more than you is equal to a huge loss of face, then it is difficult to discuss something other than trivialities. When I studied briefly at the international line at Ramkhamhaeng, you'd get lots of inputs from foreign students from all over the world: China, Africa, South America, but the Thais would be completely silent in class, no doubt a combination of not trusting their english ability but also for fear of losing face if saying something wrong.Same thing in everyday life. Don't talk about anything which may show the other to know less than you. So food, gossip and sports/music, which are areas where any opinion is as good as the other and no opinion can be wrong.

• Like 2

rolleyes.gif I've talked about such topics as my Thai wife's father who was once a policeman back in WW2 time and was a member (verified) of the Thai resistance to the Japanese occupation .

He had a certificate given to his group after the war by the Allies for helping to rescue pilots shot down during raids on Japanese targets in Thailand.

I've talked to her about her first husband, an Aussie who left her with no money and 3 kids to raise. He went back to Australia and eventually drank himself to death.

I got her a copy of the Australian Police death report, so she could legally get him declared dead and her marriage dissolved with the Thai government.

Or her uncle, the monk, who chose to die from cancer, rather than get the treatment he simply couldn't afford because that would put his family into a financial crises and it would mean they had to sell there rice land and not be able to send the kids to school.

Little things like that,

No, I've never had any serious talks with a Thai. We have nothing in common to talk about.

rolleyes.gif

Thai people have limited access to the world news, politic, culture, current affairs etc, simply because they don't learn to have an interest in those

To be put it another way, those things are not VALUED in this culture. coffee1.gif

I just smile and nod. If they ask me a question, then I'll answer in a way to let them know someone is listening. Thais for the most part do not like being alone. So even if it is the taxi driver that wants to talk about American hotels or his trip to Switzerland I don't mind it. Thais love fun in every sense and they can bring it out whenever, wherever - so if smiles are around it's all good.

Little things like that,

rolleyes.gif

Racist garbage.

• Like 2

Little things like that,

rolleyes.gif

To be put it another way, those things are not VALUED in this culture. coffee1.gif

Correct the only things which are valued are money, face and Thailand

• Like 1

Little things like that,

rolleyes.gif

Correct the only things which are valued are money, face and Thailand

How about family?......is that not important in Thailand?

• Like 1

Little things like that,

rolleyes.gif

Racist garbage.

Where are they supposed to learn this?

Certainly not through media (very bad position in terms of freedom of press in the world) nor in school that teaches according to the government same line

Little things like that,

rolleyes.gif

You are taking the piss right?

my wife and me, we talk about allsorts of things just the same as i did with my ex wife in the uk,

whats shes been doing,,

how things are going with my work,

the news both uk and thai,

is the family ok,

are the animals ok,

lots of things, im married to her we are just a normal couple that happen to be british and thai, in fact i think that gives us more to talk about,

again just my thoughts, i think some try and complicate a relationship, insteed of just letting it happen, a relationship grows with time, youll find youll get more to chat about as time goes by,

you all know im not good with words, but i hope you get my drift,

take care jake

• Like 2

Little things like that,

rolleyes.gif

Racist garbage.

Where are they supposed to learn this?

Certainly not through media (very bad position in terms of freedom of press in the world) nor in school that teaches according to the government same line

They have access to the same outlets we have, newspapers, internet, and TV. There are some issues where the media controls stifle discussion as we know, but reporting of international news and the like is of a decent standard.

You seem to have taken a flier at this without thinking. Yes there are some Thai people who have poor access to media, and there will be plenty who are disinterested, but there are plenty more who are just as interested in world news and the like as the rest of us.

• Like 1

You seem to have taken a flier at this without thinking. Yes there are some Thai people who have poor access to media, and there will be plenty who are disinterested, but there are plenty more who are just as interested in world news and the like as the rest of us.

We will have to disagree on this.

Most Thais I know wouldn't be bothered if the rest of the world died tomorrow.

Trouble is TB, you're still essentially a tourist here, it's very hard for any foreigner to really interact with Thais, impossible for a tourist.

• Like 1

How about family?......is that not important in Thailand?

I think it was 69% of husbands and 59% of wives that are unfaithful here.

Obviously divorce being not popular, you can imagine the atmosphere in most Thai families : lies, deceits, betray, lack of trust, of respect etc

Oh and they stay because of face & money of course ;)

These types of settings are disastrous for the kids

• Like 2