New Project Next To Hillside 4

mascarakatze

I heard it is going to be a 14 story condo and hotel.

Isn't Furama Hotel backing onto that plot and its more than 8 floors.

as well as HS4 is 15 stories.. That was the old building limit.

More recently 8 stories is supposed to be the limit.

The tricky part is what gets approved these days. For example the new Maya Mall looks to be about 14 stories.

But most new buildings in the area are just being built to 8.

Could be some sort of special exemption is for sale.

I recently bought a unit on the west side. I had heard about the rumours so went to the land office in the Tessaban (near the US Consulate) and was shown a zoning map of Chiang Mai with the Hillside 4 area in the red zone. I was told that this means that there is a height limit of 8 stories. As I thought this was from an authoritative source I accepted it (perhaps naiively as it is turning out) and proceeded with the purchase.

Okay so I guess your responding to the guy on the 6th floor who put out some flyers saying its going to be 16 stories?

Has anyone seen his evidence of this?

It might be possible it's an exaggeration to get everybody in the building excited to oppose it.

He might be totally on the level but just haven't seen anything concrete. His view is screwed even if its at or under the 8 floor restriction.

Any new info?

• Like 1

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay so I guess your responding to the guy on the 6th floor who put out some flyers saying its going to be 16 stories?

Has anyone seen his evidence of this?

It might be possible it's an exaggeration to get everybody in the building excited to oppose it.

He might be totally on the level but just haven't seen anything concrete. His view is screwed even if its at or under the 8 floor restriction.

Any new info?

Well something is coming soon and it's a fairly safe bet that it will be concrete biggrin.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just today got an environmental impact assessment survey for the proposed

Mist Hotel and Condo complex.

It's 279 rooms and 12 floors at the highest point.

Has some low quality black and white renderings next to Hillside 4.

It's unclear to me but then goes on to say there is a 12 condo building with another 279 rooms and 12 stories tall.

Not sure if its 2 parts or they are just listing it separately.

The renditions seem to show its more toward Huay Kaew road so might not impact the deeper units as much.

Would be interesting to know how deep and tall it runs.

Anyway its well below my unit so bullet dodged but going to be a tough pill for the units below the 12th story.

If anyone knows where the mockups are located then would be interesting to see but who knows if they are realistic after the differences we say with the Maya Mall.

There is an environmental impact assessment being conducted for the construction of a 12 story hotel and condominium project to be built on the vacant lot adjacent to Hillside 4. The name of the hotel and condominium is the Mist Hotel and Living @ Chiang Mai. The study indicates there will be two separate buildings.

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing there yet and it will take time before it appears (As usual in CM). I have a place in HS4 but it does not face Doi Suthep..... and I think its better. Afternoon sun doesnt fry the condo. Love it

Agreed. When I was first looking for a condo in CM I visited several blocks and the advice from some people was "Get a mountain view". So I rented first and found that a balcony facing that direction was too hot to use on many days. So I bought a City view at HS4 and the sun is off the balcony by around 11am. Much cooler and I can use my balcony in the afternoon and clearly read my laptop screen.

Edited by BenCM

All this talk of the number of storeys is fairly meaningless unless you know how high the floors actually are. Granted, you're talking about a residential development rather than a shopping centre, but the actual planned height of the proposed building is the figure to find.

How can this building be 12 floors, while the maximum is 8?

Dont think they get a permit like other planned buildings likes the Astra and Supalai

The Juristic guy in the Rawee Varee (?? Soi 17 Nimmen) says that the 8 floor limit was introduced fairly recently, and there are 60 large projects approved before then that are yet to be built. He says they have to finish within the next year of their approvals are void. If he is right, there are going to be a lot of shoddily built condos for sale next year - and condos on high floors in older buildings will become more valuable.

95% of what I do is 100% legal.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I heard it is going to be a 14 story condo and hotel.

Isn't Furama Hotel backing onto that plot and its more than 8 floors.

as well as HS4 is 15 stories.. That was the old building limit.

More recently 8 stories is supposed to be the limit.

The tricky part is what gets approved these days. For example the new Maya Mall looks to be about 14 stories.

But most new buildings in the area are just being built to 8.

Could be some sort of special exemption is for sale.

I recently bought a unit on the west side. I had heard about the rumours so went to the land office in the Tessaban (near the US Consulate) and was shown a zoning map of Chiang Mai with the Hillside 4 area in the red zone. I was told that this means that there is a height limit of 8 stories. As I thought this was from an authoritative source I accepted it (perhaps naiively as it is turning out) and proceeded with the purchase.

yes but the law was recent for the 8 stories and I assumed you asked them that vital question? WHEN did the red zone come into force? my info is that the approval was long before

I'm expecting that green land on the other side to be next

"I'm expecting that green land on the other side to be next"

Really? You have some information on this? - or is this just rumour you wish to put about?

you think they will leave that land empty forever?

Any building on this land would not have the "precious" mountain view due to the existing HS4 and The Furama, so I do not see it particularly at risk of condo development. There are many other pieces of land in CM that would have a better view.

Really? You have some information on this? - or is this just rumour you wish to put about?

Any building on this land would not have the "precious" mountain view due to the existing HS4 and The Furama, so I do not see it particularly at risk of condo development. There are many other pieces of land in CM that would have a better view.

maybe and maybe not and maybe the cows will have it forever but it's not a chance I would take personally

Edited by binjalin

maybe and maybe not and maybe the cows will have it forever but it's not a chance I would take personally

Sorry, when you said you were expecting the land to be developed, I thought you had some knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...

No intent to mislead Ben - just saying "I" (and others I know) am expecting it at some point to be developed. No I don't have inside info or specific knowledge but I expect it to be developed one day

That green patch between HS4 and the city belongs to his majesty. No way they can build on it unless he approves. There is also a small village that would have to be taken into account. The more likely bet for a new condo would be the pork barbecue restaurant that HS4 overlooks. It's very profitable but I understand the land is rented so maybe when the lease runs out, there maybe a price the owner cannot refuse.

• Like 1

The only restaurant left here at Hillside4 has closed permanently and the fitness center has been moved to the first floor with the locker rooms remaining up on the 4th.

Sad to hear the restaurant has closed...they had very tasty food (If you like spicy) and never a problem with delivery to the room I used to stay in. I thought the new location for the gym was great.... but my mind boggles why they left the lockers on the 4th floor! Weird stuff but TiT as they say.

And I can back up what has been said about the 'green land' on the city side. Yes it does belong to the Royals.... I doubt anything will ever be built on it (Apart from the caretakers quarters expanding...which seem rather cramped now, after their last expansion) It would make a great park however.

I noticed last week, when passing HS4 that nothing seems to be happening on the vacant land (Doi Suthep side). Well aware of all the discussion about new condo etc, just seems to be taking a long time for even the ground breaking to begin. Bet the residents on that side dont mind if it never happens whistling.gif

Unfortunately, royal ownership is no guarantee against development. Crown Property Bureau land has been intensively developed in the past. Just look at what has happened in Bangkok. An example is a long time open space in central Bangkok recently leased to a condo developer in spite of neighbourhood protests. Furthermore, according to news reports, the Crown Property Bureau plans to become a developer in its own right on land at prime locations, starting with the launch of a new leasehold luxury condominium in Soi Langsuan this year.

The only restaurant left here at Hillside4 has closed permanently and the fitness center has been moved to the first floor with the locker rooms remaining up on the 4th.

Sad to hear the restaurant has closed...they had very tasty food (If you like spicy) and never a problem with delivery to the room I used to stay in. I thought the new location for the gym was great.... but my mind boggles why they left the lockers on the 4th floor! Weird stuff but TiT as they say.

And I can back up what has been said about the 'green land' on the city side. Yes it does belong to the Royals.... I doubt anything will ever be built on it (Apart from the caretakers quarters expanding...which seem rather cramped now, after their last expansion) It would make a great park however.

I noticed last week, when passing HS4 that nothing seems to be happening on the vacant land (Doi Suthep side). Well aware of all the discussion about new condo etc, just seems to be taking a long time for even the ground breaking to begin. Bet the residents on that side dont mind if it never happens whistling.gif

Caveat Emptor

No intent to mislead Ben - just saying "I" (and others I know) am expecting it at some point to be developed. No I don't have inside info or specific knowledge but I expect it to be developed one day

That green patch between HS4 and the city belongs to his majesty. No way they can build on it unless he approves. There is also a small village that would have to be taken into account. The more likely bet for a new condo would be the pork barbecue restaurant that HS4 overlooks. It's very profitable but I understand the land is rented so maybe when the lease runs out, there maybe a price the owner cannot refuse.

I always wondered...Do people in Hillside 4 on the Pork BBQ side get bombarded with smoke? Does it always smell like roast pork in the evening?

Would it freak out a muslim?

• 2 weeks later...