Washing Clothes

seajae

Ok guys, hers a hard one, which washing powder is the best one to use in Thailand. My work shirts get pretty dirty working on my trees lots of red dirt etc and even with soaking and washing it does not come out. In Australia I simply sprayed them with a stain remover(preen) and threw everything in the machine together added the powder(either Fab or Radiant) used cold water and they were clean when it finished, here they still have red dirt marks all over them. Got me buggered as it just doesnt make sense, either the various detergents my wife hsa tried dont work or the machine just does a shit job. I realize this is not our normal topic but the wife is telling me to fix it myself and I simply dont have a clue as to the different detergents here and I have not been able to find a spray for stains.sad.png

Haiter colour liquid is great for stains in coloured clothes, they also do a white clothes stain remover. If I have a stain I just leave it in water with haiter overnight then wash.

Yes I am currently single sad.png

• Like 1

Send them out to get hand-washed...this is something that is done REALLY well in Thailand, and it doesn't cost a lot.

Agreed. I had some old stained shirts I brought to Thailand with me expecting to throw them out after I used them a while. But, I took them to a local Thai laundry and the woman there or her staff got the stains out.

interesting answers so far, these are t shirts/shorts that I use specifically for work, the red dirt stains simply dont come out, never had to deal with this before coming here and the stains make them look dirty when I put them on again. If they were crappy ones I wouldnt worry but these have been personalized for work/advertising and are pretty good quality.

Alright seajae -

If you're working in ferric soil, the stains will be iron based (rust) - and therefore need pretreating with a rust remover, or whitening sour before washing. You will find such chemicals available in sample sizes in hotel / catering suppliers. Using bleach will burn the stains in, and you will have little chance of removing them after.

The Haiter colour liquid is hydrogen peroxide, and is better - but will not tackle rust.

There are many types of stain removal products available in the supermarkets here - liquid to pre treatments, which you apply as a gel directly from the bottle - they usually come with a plastic brush attached. Have a go with a paste of some vanish / powder and a toothbrush.

If you are covering your clothes in tree, or fruit sap - no amount of washing will bring these stains out - period.

When I work on my farm, or anywhere else that involves getting dirty, I tend to use the oldest clothes I can find, and use them specifically for such work. You might want to use the clothes that are affected already just as specific dirty job clothes. If people are doing a dirty job, I would hardly expect to see them working in spotless clothing, nor would it affect my opinion of them - it generally means they're actually doing a job of work.

Good luck, mate.

Edited by Ackybang
  • Like 2

Send them out to get hand-washed...this is something that is done REALLY well in Thailand, and it doesn't cost a lot.

Agreed. I had some old stained shirts I brought to Thailand with me expecting to throw them out after I used them a while. But, I took them to a local Thai laundry and the woman there or her staff got the stains out.

Amazing. They normally put the stains in my clothes or manage to burn them with the iron.

Out in the country I've learned to keep a couple of outfits just for work around the house and on these outfits I have stains that I have no idea what they are but one things for sure no matter what I try they will not come out. Thats fine there for yard work now and nothing else. I will be monitoring this thread closely to see if a poster comes up with a stain removing solution that works.smile.png

Alright seajae -

If you're working in ferric soil, the stains will be iron based (rust) - and therefore need pretreating with a rust remover, or whitening sour before washing. You will find such chemicals available in sample sizes in hotel / catering suppliers. Using bleach will burn the stains in, and you will have little chance of removing them after.

The Haiter colour liquid is hydrogen peroxide, and is better - but will not tackle rust.

There are many types of stain removal products available in the supermarkets here - liquid to pre treatments, which you apply as a gel directly from the bottle - they usually come with a plastic brush attached. Have a go with a paste of some vanish / powder and a toothbrush.

If you are covering your clothes in tree, or fruit sap - no amount of washing will bring these stains out - period.

When I work on my farm, or anywhere else that involves getting dirty, I tend to use the oldest clothes I can find, and use them specifically for such work. You might want to use the clothes that are affected already just as specific dirty job clothes. If people are doing a dirty job, I would hardly expect to see them working in spotless clothing, nor would it affect my opinion of them - it generally means they're actually doing a job of work.

Good luck, mate.

Thanks mate, didnt even cosdider the iron side of it, will definitely look into it.

hahahaha, I really appreciate all of this , understand the sap side too, I am working wirh frangipani/plumeria/lillawadee and I do cop a lot of sap but it is the red stains that really throw me. At least now I have some great ideas for fixing it all, the mod can close this now if they want, I have most of what I need I think.

Cheers everyone and thanks biggrin.pngclap2.gif

If the stains are iron based you require something that will convert it into a soluble state.

The most effective is oxalic acid, however, it is toxic. But used carefully is very effective.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxalic_acid#Toxicity_and_safety

Citric acid (or lemon juice) might also be useful.

The phosphate is soluble so phosphoric acid would be effective (try Coke, that contains phosphoric acid).

Edit. If it's banana sap:-

http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Banana-Sap-Stains

or an enzyme detergent:-

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/cleaning-stain-removal/303479-banana-tree-sap-stain-removal.html#b

Edited by rawhod

interesting answers so far, these are t shirts/shorts that I use specifically for work, the red dirt stains simply dont come out, never had to deal with this before coming here and the stains make them look dirty when I put them on again. If they were crappy ones I wouldnt worry but these have been personalized for work/advertising and are pretty good quality.

Go to market. Buy some cheap throw aways shirts... wear and wash to death... repeat action every month

Cost = 600 baht

Haiter colour liquid is great for stains in coloured clothes, they also do a white clothes stain remover. If I have a stain I just leave it in water with haiter overnight then wash.

Yes I am currently single sad.png

Our maid removes the finished washing (LG top loader) about 08.30 every morning.

She immediately refills the washing machine with water and good quality powder detergent then throws in whatever new laundry has now accumulated. This continues all day and evening and at about 6.30a.m. the next morning the full washing cycle starts. Our machine is set to do an additional rinse cycle.

Easy and it seems to remove most stains and produce really clean clothes.