Missing parcel from the UK - any help would be appreciated

debstheleo

Hello everyone

I'm a newbie here, but have read lots of very useful threads on this forum and am hoping someone can help me.

I'm living on Koh Phangan, Thong Nai Pan Noi and am working (with a permit).smile.png

8 April 2013 my brother sent a parcel to me of stuff (toiletries mainly and a new electric toothbrush) from the UK. It weighed 3.5kg. He sent it without any communication with me. He sent it using the UK Post Office Parcelforce worldwide - global economy which is basically the cheapest and slowest method he could have chosen. He was advised it would take 6 to 8 weeks to arrive. That was 10 weeks ago. It did not have any tracking number. He has fallen out with me about this....but that's another issue!sad.png

It is addressed to Thongtapan Resort.

I've checked with the PO on Thong Sala, without looking for it they directed me to Thong Nai Pan Yai post office, who don't have it either.

I've checked with Thongtapan and they have not received any letters asking us to pay any customs fees.

Does anyone know where I should start to look for my parcel?

Thanks in advance.

It may still show up, but if it doesn't - and things do just disappear in the post that way, or show up months later - you have little recourse if it wasn't insured nor being tracked, just write it off and move on. . .

As Cluey says....

No trackinhg number, no insurance it might well have to be written off.

2 weeks late is not a lot. Thailand can be very slow at times with these things. Yet to send it the slowest and cheapest way was not a brilliant idea.

• Like 1

mate, it was probably taken by a deserving postal worker. Recently I had 2 items dissapear in the post and when I queried my local post office I was told they should have been sent with tracking/registered so I could trace them otherwise one of the postal staff along the way have claimed them. This was from the head person at Surat Thani PO, not some backwater one so there is am excellent chance it has happened to you although sometimes they take a hell of a long time to arrive. I had an express post item take over 3 weeks to get to me and another item 12 weeks, postal workers only deliver when they feel like it, too hot, too cold, too wet etc.

As the stuff in the box cost me about £200, I was hoping I might be able to find it. I'm hoping it hasn't gone missing sad.png

Could also be held up in customs if they were new items worth money, watch out for a payment advice notice and if it is they do charge a bit more than expected as they make up a value of article price on the spot, 1200 baht for a pair of $20 boots they said were more valuable,

Next time for 200 pounds get a tracking number.

Otherwise you have no way to trace it.

The only thing you can do is go to the dispatching office in your area.

You will realize what an archaic mess it is !

The manager was quite nice to me: He took my tel number and called me when he received some further mail but I never got many of unregistered parcels (fortunately of low value)

• Like 1

I had asked my brother to send registered and insured, but he didn't want to drive the 2 miles backwards and forwards to the PO! As soon as I was aware what had happened I begged him to go back and get the parcel back. it could have been split into 2, would have cost less to send fully insured and traceable!

Whilst I'm an expat, I do not earn a lot of money - it takes me 2 weeks to earn what was in that parcel.

This is why I'm asking for help in where to start perhaps looking for it. Does a parcel come via Samui or Surat Thani for Koh Phangan?

I had asked my brother to send registered and insured, but he didn't want to drive the 2 miles backwards and forwards to the PO! As soon as I was aware what had happened I begged him to go back and get the parcel back. it could have been split into 2, would have cost less to send fully insured and traceable!

Whilst I'm an expat, I do not earn a lot of money - it takes me 2 weeks to earn what was in that parcel.

This is why I'm asking for help in where to start perhaps looking for it. Does a parcel come via Samui or Surat Thani for Koh Phangan?

the value of the parcel might take a postal worker 6weeks to earn.dont lose any sleep over it,just read the thai visa forum you might have more to come if not carefulwub.png

I gave up trying to get family/friends to send things through the post ages ago. I tried 3 times and none of the packages arrived. If something with any value is sent through the regular post it will never arrive -- stolen I assume. If it is sent using DHL, etc., customs will hold it and ask for big duty fees. Trying to receive personal items in Thailand through the mail or courier systems is hopeless.

I have received bank cards sent using International signed for from the UK 3 times and all have arrived just fine.

I have emailed the post office in the UK for information of which ports etc it may have come through and take it from there. A Thai friend has offered to ring around for me, once we have more information.

-

You can't go looking for it, it's not like they have waiting rooms for parcels, either it goes on its way or the thief got it off the premises undetected.

You'd just be throwing good money after bad, even if you knew the exact routing sequence of facilities you'll just keep getting passed up the chain until you're told to fly back to the UK.

all the robbers must live down south thailand , i,ve been here over 6 years and my brother still sends me as he calls them RED CROSS parcels of english food , books and other nik nak s i could,nt find when first here , he sends 1 about every 3 / 4 months ordanary post from manchester to udon thani about 18 quid a time never lost 1 yet ,

touch wood ..... thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

You might get it, but foreigner name and sent to a resort (to a supposed tourist) I would also keep it for me if I was the postman :-)

But it's true that it can be extremely slow sometimes, especially because you are far from BKK.

Customs might also need toiletries :-)

I guess you still have some chance if these people really are as nice as them seem...

I would give it more time. I had some clothes sent surface mail and it took over 2 months to get to me but it got here. I have lived here over 7 years and had sent and received mail packages and letters and not one that I know of been lost.

Edited by Nowhereman60

the last 2 debit cards sent to me never arrived so someone knows what to look for but the last parcel that was sent to me it was definately not our postman who had it,contained 12pr.of xxxl underpants from asda,mind you i havnt seen his wf.w00t.gif

well I just recieved my new pin number for my new visa card. they were both sent on the same date, 31st March this year. The card was sent registered post after the first 2 they sent dissapeared from the post and the latest one arrived almost 3 weeks ago, the pin number sent by express post international on the same day arrived this morning, gives you an idea of how slow they are, also I have to have another new pin issued as this one has been tampered with and I cannot read the number, maybe the postal worker that grabbed the new cards thought they could use the new number to access them as the security window cover had been removed and stuck back on. This is Thailand and this is what happens here, get used to it.

Edited by seajae

I would give it more time. I had some clothes sent surface mail and it took over 2 months to get to me but it got here. I have lived here over 7 years and had sent and received mail packages and letters and not one that I know of been lost.

I recently ordered a polo shirt from the UK, it was on a non trackable post, it never arrived, I am thinking stolen!!

the last 2 debit cards sent to me never arrived so someone knows what to look for but the last parcel that was sent to me it was definately not our postman who had it,contained 12pr.of xxxl underpants from asda,mind you i havnt seen his wf.

-

Here she is:

foto_049303.jpeg

• Like 1

One thing for sure you have made it hard on your self.You have to get that tracking number.Many times I have gone to the Post Office to pick up a parcel because I knew it had arrived there because I had the tracking number.Took my passport and other ID,they werent interested they only wanted that tracking number

Edited by mickjn

Yes, my OP did state that I had no control over how it was sent to me, despite my request to my brother who posted it.

I was hoping for some help from the forum, but have been surprised at the tone of some replies.sad.png

Just to update I have been in contact with parcelforce who advised me that it takes 40 to 47 working days for surface mail to arrive and they are considering it to be still in transit at the moment.

Thanks for the helpful replies.smile.png

the op is suprised by the tone of some of the replies,what did he expect?he's in thailand and if he doesnt know you play by their rules that is moan as much as you like it gets you knowhere.