triple bypass surgery

jarhead50200

This does not help find a doctor in Chiang Mai, but 3 years ago I had a triple bypass done at the Bangkok Heart Hospital in Bangkok by Dr. Permyos. I can't praise the Doctor, Hospital, or Staff enough. They really take great care of you in a world class facility. The cost at the time was $750,000 baht, a real bargain. I was in the hospital for 16 days. If you don't mind the trip down to Bangkok, you will be more than pleased here, (unless you die on the operating table. Always a small risk).LOL

You asked about Dr Weerachai, both of the following cardiac surgeons have excellent reputations and work primarily out of Sriphat Hospital (CMU), next to Mahraj/Suan Dok.

CARDIAC SURGEONS

Dr Surin & Dr Weerachai

Sriphat Hospital

053 5394 6900/1

This does not help find a doctor in Chiang Mai, but 3 years ago I had a triple bypass done at the Bangkok Heart Hospital in Bangkok by Dr. Permyos. I can't praise the Doctor, Hospital, or Staff enough. They really take great care of you in a world class facility. The cost at the time was $750,000 baht, a real bargain. I was in the hospital for 16 days. If you don't mind the trip down to Bangkok, you will be more than pleased here, (unless you die on the operating table. Always a small risk).LOL

In view of the risk do you pay in advance ?

You mention 750k in Dollars, if that was the price it's extremely high, typical cost of bypass surgery at say Bumrungrad hospital is around THB 570k (USD19K).

In view of the risk do you pay in advance ?

Typically the hospital will take a deposit on a credit card, the deposit at say Bumrungrad usually covers about two thirds the final bill.

You mention 750k in Dollars, if that was the price it's extremely high, typical cost of bypass surgery at say Bumrungrad hospital is around THB 570k (USD19K).

I think stoli considers it money well spent, seeing as he's still breathing. Can't argue myself.

I'm going to be admitted at University Hospital/Suan Dok/ Sriphat/etc. on Monday for CABG. Dr. Weerachai and team will do the procedure. Was referred to him by Dr. Patarapong from Ram after he did my Angiogram. Dr. Weerachai can do the procedure at Ram but was told it would be about 1/2 as expensive at the 'University' Hospital. The word is will cost 'around 200k'...

Surgery is scheduled for Wednesday. Dr. Weerachai seems competent. Very good English... he was at Mt. Sinai Hospital in Chicago and in Columbus, Mo. but not sure what he did there or for how long. Also not sure what he will do 'zactly. Patarapong said 5 bypasses... but Werachai wasn't sure... guess depends on condition of my harvestable arteries/veins and how things look when gets me opened up.

I'm going to be admitted at University Hospital/Suan Dok/ Sriphat/etc. on Monday for CABG. Dr. Weerachai and team will do the procedure. Was referred to him by Dr. Patarapong from Ram after he did my Angiogram. Dr. Weerachai can do the procedure at Ram but was told it would be about 1/2 as expensive at the 'University' Hospital. The word is will cost 'around 200k'...

Surgery is scheduled for Wednesday. Dr. Weerachai seems competent. Very good English... he was at Mt. Sinai Hospital in Chicago and in Columbus, Mo. but not sure what he did there or for how long. Also not sure what he will do 'zactly. Patarapong said 5 bypasses... but Werachai wasn't sure... guess depends on condition of my harvestable arteries/veins and how things look when gets me opened up.

Dr Pat. at RAM is one of the best - the price you were quoted sounds about right - all the very best with the op, I'm certain it will all work out well.

A small point but worth mentioning fore the benefit of others: unfortunately it is an operation and not a procedure, PCI or stenting is a procedure, CABG is the full monty.

chiang mai mike best explained my situation, the same for me. 3 weeks ago they did an angiogram and found 4 blockages, they did one stent and upon the second stent I got real bad pain and they stopped the angioplasty, I already had 6 stents and one was partially blocked, so I will consult with Dr. Weerachai and I guess I am a candidate for bypass, everyone I talked to thus far (they were all alive) states they feel like a new person. I am not looking forward to bypass but I have been doing a lot research on it and like everything else my fear comes from ignorance, and once I get educated and listen to others experience then I am less fearful.

thank you chiang mai mike, wish you well.

chiang mai mike best explained my situation, the same for me. 3 weeks ago they did an angiogram and found 4 blockages, they did one stent and upon the second stent I got real bad pain and they stopped the angioplasty, I already had 6 stents and one was partially blocked, so I will consult with Dr. Weerachai and I guess I am a candidate for bypass, everyone I talked to thus far (they were all alive) states they feel like a new person. I am not looking forward to bypass but I have been doing a lot research on it and like everything else my fear comes from ignorance, and once I get educated and listen to others experience then I am less fearful.

when i had my surgery[2007] by passes were carried out quite often beds were taken as quick as the became vacant seemed like a simple op.in and out no after affects just you will feel like a new man or woman,only discomfort is some numbness in the leg where they take the vein out to do the by pass.good luck.

Thanks all for the good wishes...

Must say not looking forward to this... and fyi I switched (too late) to a Plant Based Diet and no oils... Cholesterol dropped from 224 to 127! Wish I'd done this years ago... check out Dr. Ornsby and Dr. Michael Greger if interested.

I hope to get back here in a couple of weeks...

Later,

Mike

• Like 1

Jarhead and CM Mike

Do not worry too much that mortality rate I believe comes from the inevitable last hope cases which end up on the table occasionally.

There's a saying about open heart surgery "fit going in, fast coming out",by fit I mean if you are half way reasonable, not lying there gasping, you will likely recover quickly.

As for Chiangmai Mike best of luck!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Woo Hoo! I'm still alive! :)

And back home. Did a triple CABG. LIMA not good so had to discard but was able use the RIMA, a radial artery and a saphenous vein. Did the whole thing off pump! No transfusion!. Took 4 hours... Dr. Weerachai earned his 38k baht fee, imho.

Not sure would even be called a complication, but had some irregular heartbeat problems caused by electrolyte imbalance... some magnesium sulfate drips and horrible oral potassium(?) sorted it out. Had surgery on Thursday, discharged on Tues.

Had horrible experience trying to get checked out when they wouldn't accept my KBank Debit card... but that's another story.

Would probably not recommend it for a farang who hasn't lived here awhile... Not your Ram hospital luxury experience, but for a grand total of 184,000 baht I felt I got a great deal.

Later,

Mike

"Had horrible experience trying to get checked out when they wouldn't accept my KBank Debit card... but that's another story."

You didn't do a runner?

Haha congratulations i saw you liked my post #18 just now and was about to send a PM but here you go saw your post good luck to you.

Actually you were mentioned on a bike ride I was having with by a pal a couple of weeks ago. Samll world....especially in CM!

Edited by cheeryble

i had a double by-pass the same time as a valve replacement the risk is only 1% in the uk.so nothing to worry about just make sure the wf.now's where everything is in case.

5% of a collapsed lung if you are an ex smoker, the lung was bloody murder until they got it up, just befor i was to go back to surgery to get it sorted, happy happy now.......

Woo Hoo! I'm still alive! smile.png

And back home. Did a triple CABG. LIMA not good so had to discard but was able use the RIMA, a radial artery and a saphenous vein. Did the whole thing off pump! No transfusion!. Took 4 hours... Dr. Weerachai earned his 38k baht fee, imho.

Not sure would even be called a complication, but had some irregular heartbeat problems caused by electrolyte imbalance... some magnesium sulfate drips and horrible oral potassium(?) sorted it out. Had surgery on Thursday, discharged on Tues.

Had horrible experience trying to get checked out when they wouldn't accept my KBank Debit card... but that's another story.

Would probably not recommend it for a farang who hasn't lived here awhile... Not your Ram hospital luxury experience, but for a grand total of 184,000 baht I felt I got a great deal.

Later,

Mike

good on ya mate its all plain sailing from here, keep up the walking, just in case keep up the walking, i ended up with a defib fitted as i had irregular beats from a trauma heart attack in a pretty bad prang when i was 28, 59 when i had the cabg.....

I started the post and I want to thank everyone for sharing their experience, I interviewed with weerachi a couple of days ago, and it was a real wake up call for me the way he described it. in fact his description scared the ___it out of me. I have one closed artery for six years and when they did the angioplasty a month ago they tried to unclog that one. I still have four blockages 70-80 percent but I think I will stay with stenting instead of having my chest split open, weerachi did recommend triple bypass and he explained stenting is still an option. the closed artery I have had for 6 years has grown branches. listening to you guys you make it sound easy but I am a big chicken.

again thanks for all the feedback.

Well, the long term outlook is better with the CABG over the stents... but I'm glad I didn't have to make that choice.

Weerachai does seem to like to scare you about the dangers... I think he told me I had a 5% chance of death during the op... Not sure I believe that.

His 'Team' came in the day before surgery and told me "You have a 10% chance of death, M.I.,stroke, renal failure, infection, etc., do you consent to take the risk."

I decided that 10% was the total chance that something bad could happen and so is probably about right. They also told me I had to shave my mustache. (I didn't...)

I still have a lot of healing to do, but since I can sit and walk with essentially no pain, I am actually surprised I feel as good as I do.

Life is Good!,

M

"Had horrible experience trying to get checked out when they wouldn't accept my KBank Debit card... but that's another story."

You didn't do a runner?

Haha congratulations i saw you liked my post #18 just now and was about to send a PM but here you go saw your post good luck to you.

Actually you were mentioned on a bike ride I was having with by a pal a couple of weeks ago. Samll world....especially in CM!

Actually I did a 'walker'.

I had paid 64,000 with my debit card a couple of days before the surgery for "Surgical Supplies" with my KBank Debit Card so assumed would have no trouble.

But they wouldn't accept it... not for any of the 118,000 still owing. I showed them my ATM receipt from like an hour before that showed I had 200k in the account... but that wasn't convincing. My Thai friend finally got a KBank rep on the phone and after properly identifying myself he said could increase my debit card limit. I whined any said ' I old sick man, just want to pay my hospital bill and go home, PLEASE help me.' and gave phone back to my Thai friend. Turned out we had to call their damn number, enter my 16 digit number, and do the whole telephone tree to raise my limit. I just about went totally ballistic trying to do that. And couldn't. Finally made so many mistakes got locked out. After another 10 minutes of my friend talking to the Cashier and my blood pressure though the roof, I just walked out to my waiting friends car and we left... I felt I had to do it or would die from the absolute stupidity of it all. Was very sorry to abandon my ex, but they didn't grab her as she feared.

Couple of days later they tracked me down... Had a nice male nurse I'd liked ask my ex if he could come visit me. She gave him my address and he showed up... after a few 'How u feeling questions' the subject shifted to money and he asked if his rather large 'friend' and a nice girl interpreter could come in. They wanted the money. I told them if would take me to ATM I give them 50k right now and rest tomorrow... They wanted me to go to hospital with them cuz had no receipt... I refused, said 'Not need receipt'. Got in the van and noticed a policeman sitting there! heh heh... just a backup guy I guess... I was afraid they were planning on kidnapping me, but they didn't. Went to ATM and back home... Next day they came back and I had the rest of the money for them... All was really most pleasant, and when I showed the nurse some redness and swelling on my arm incision he took photo and said would talk to doctor. He called later saying Doc wanted me to take some antibiotics and that he would bring me the meds!!!

He paid for them with his own money and brought them the next day. I gave him a 'thank you tip' of 300 baht once was sure he wasn't just looking to hit on me :) ... and thanked him profusely. What a nice bunch of people to deal with... Thank you Suan Dok Hospital, nurses, med students, doctors and all for taking such good care of me. After ten years here I'm not surprised at how nice the Thais are, but almost everyone really did try to make my stay as pleasant as possible.

Later,

Mike

• Like 1

Nice end to the story. Indeed the Thais are very tolerant of foreigners and are very nice, kind people. It's only fair that they should get paid. I'm not in any way saying ChiangMaiMike wasn't going to pay - don't get me wrong Mike! I mean in general terms.

My friend who lived in BKK for about 15 years was hospitalized at a hospital near the Airport that contracts with the Airport. (He was removed from a plane just before takeoff as he was having a heart attack.) He had to put 75,000 Baht on his card before they even wheeled him into the ER! 2 days later when he was discharged from the CCU, his bill was 159,000 Baht I believe. He didn't have the money or any more credit on his USA credit card to pay the balance. They took him home in a luxury mini-van and for the next 48 hours, the 2 guys from the hospital van camped out in front of his house! They even had people come and bring them food. They told my friend they would stay as long as necessary until he felt well enough to ride around and they would take him anywhere he needed to go; banks, friend's houses, U.S. Embassy, etc. until he was able to come up with the cash to pay his balance.biggrin.png He said they couldn't have been nicer, made no demands, no pressure, and my friends wife gave them a key to get in and use the toilet at night. By the end of the 2nd day my friend had come up with the funds to pay the balance and they drove him to the bank, paid them and they drove him back home.smile.png

• Like 1