Worried about the proposed taxation of foreign income (UK)?

2 minutes ago, banglay said:

Sorry for trying to help local expats in this area  who might  not have the time to check out ALL of the forums on here 🙂🙏

And as many, are confused by what they read... 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Anybody who spends > 179 days in a calendar/tax year in Thailand is Tax Resident & potentially liable for Tax on money they've remitted so a Wealthy Tourist spending 6 months would be liable for Tax & a Non-IMM O Holder only spending 5 months would not, the Visa you have doesn't matter except for an exemption for some LTR Visa holders. 

I believe the change was aimed more at Thais using the "1 year rule" to make money overseas & bring it back tax free & us Expats have been caught up in it, but the net result for Thailand is going to be negative in my case as:-

1. I'll only be remitting approx. 25% of what I normally remit (to stay under the amount where I would have to pay tax) & spending down savings I already have here.
  2. I'll be taking more holidays outside of Thailand reducing the amount of money I spend in-country so Thai hotels, bars, restaurants, tour companies etc... will lose custom.

That confirms  my understanding  of the  overall situation.

I can envisage and predict avoidance schemes will proliferate via some quickly apparent venues that will be legal at face  value.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am certain that the op is trying to be helpful by creating this thread but the reality is we have more tax threads than we need at the stage so some rationalisation is inevitable. The main tax thread is linked below, this thread will be closed.