Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah, I see.

Over here we'd simply say 31 to 1.

No we wouldn't .30/1 @ £1 = £30 +£1 bet = £31

How you you quote an 'odds on' bet?

One less then evens?

4/7 1/2 1/100 anything less than evens

Sorry, MM, I was referring to the actual winnings. Yes, you do get your stake back, so in my example if you bet a pound at 31 to 1 you'd get winnings of £31 plus your stake, making £32 in total.

As I'm sure you know, odds on bets are also referred to as 7 to 4 on etc.

Sorry, MM, I was referring to the actual winnings. Yes, you do get your stake back, so in my example if you bet a pound at 31 to 1 you'd get winnings of £31 plus your stake, making £32 in total.

It depends where you bet...If u bet $1 and are quoted $31 a win on the TAB in OZ and ( and most likely other online sites?) you get $31 back in total

It depends where you bet...If u bet $1 and are quoted $31 a win on the TAB in OZ and ( and most likely other online sites?) you get $31 back in total

So true. Here's an example,

`$100 at 2.0 or at 2/1.

I place $100 on a win.

I get back $200 only, not 200+my bet=300.

Not too sure what these colonists do for fun but in the real world that is called a bet.

No wonder they lost both the Ashes and the right to rule our country (albeit in a formal sense).

Hopefully, the boys can get the choccies before lunch and get on the wee wee early.

The umpiring has been bad again. Umpire Erasmus gave Smith not out in the first dig

for it to be over-turned. Bell not out LBW in the first innings, over-turned again. Root out

caught behind in the first innings when it looks as if he didn't touch it, and Bell not out caught

behind in the 2nd innings which was over-turned. I think if there wasn't the technology to

over-turn these, they would be getting a lot more media attraction. I mean, Eng's best batsmen

given not out twice when he was. If it was a tight series, that could be the difference.

The good news for the Poms is that their 3 new boys, Carberry, Root and Stokes are all in the top

4 batting averages. Good signs going forward for them. I wish the Aussies had a few more in the wings

as we still rely on Clarke too much. Warner and Haddin have been sensational but the jury is out for the rest.

If Broad bats, will they still aim for his head or decide to bowl Yorkersbiggrin.png

It's all over Red Rover.

Finally a highlight for us English supporters, Ben Stokes getting a fine hundred. The Ashes may be lost in a pathetic manner but at least we finally seem to have unearthed a replacement for Paul Collingwood.

It's all over Red Rover.

Finally a highlight for us English supporters, Ben Stokes getting a fine hundred. The Ashes may be lost in a pathetic manner but at least we finally seem to have unearthed a replacement for Paul Collingwood.

Yes, a good player, and not South African!

A New Zealander.

• Like 2

Congratulations to the Aussies, you have completely outplayed us in all 3 test matches. Where do we go from here ? 1 or 2 positives from Root and Stokes, but it's alarming how quickly the likes of Cook, Pietersen, Prior and Swann have deteriated. Cook will come through but for the others I think there time has come to an end.

It's all over Red Rover.

Yes, a good player, and not South African!

A New Zealander.

They have gingers in NZ? blink.png

Hahaha

Yes ... we got the Ashes back ... but credit where credit is due and I tip my hat to the Poms for making a fist of it on the last day.

Actually, BookMan was in my neck of the woods, we were working, but in good Aussie spirit, we were listening to the end of the match on the truck radio.

Was enjoyable it was ... biggrin.png

• Like 2

Yes ... we got the Ashes back ... but credit where credit is due and I tip my hat to the Poms for making a fist of it on the last day.

Actually, BookMan was in my neck of the woods, we were working, but in good Aussie spirit, we were listening to the end of the match on the truck radio.

Very noble of you David48, but with a few exceptions, I don't think there are many

Poms joining the forum these days.

Funny that, 6 months ago they were coming out of the woodworkbiggrin.png

Very noble of you David48, but with a few exceptions, I don't think there are many

Poms joining the forum these days.

Funny that, 6 months ago they were coming out of the woodworkbiggrin.png

Winners are grinners.

• Like 1

It looks like the predictable white wash by the Poms over the Aussies has completely fallen on its face.

Well done the Australian team and coaching staff.

Yes, I remember Botham saying that the only thing preventing the combined series finishing 10-0 was the weather. And after the first series ended 3-0 he was convinced England would win the return 5-0 because Australian series are less likely to be rained off. Other than that, the guy generally talks sense, as does Boycott.

• Like 1

Roll on 2015 .

Still don't think it'll be a 5-0 whitewash this series .England are fighting for pride now & with the likes of Cook & Bell still due a big score along with the promise of Root & Stokes anything could happen .I get the feeling this could be Pietersens & Priors last Ashes so they should be looking to out fighting too.( One can only hopegoof.gif.pagespeed.ce.KJ2oZpgSLm.gif )

Anyhow's well done to the boat people you've come a long way since the first fleet.thumbsup.gif

So that's 3 - 3 this year then. Decider at MCG starting Boxing Day! whistling.gif

The ashes has been described in these terms, the one in England the the return leg in Australia, because they are almost back to back, seems like one extended series.

If the soap dogers can get a bit more spine, their bowlers a bit more mongrel and their fielding ... well, that can't get any worse ... could it?

Analyst at The Ashes: Australia surge ahead

The traditional Boxing Day test is played at the MCG which will be a 'drop-in' pitch.

Victoria is the home ground of Peter Siddle ... he was outstanding there in the last series, and hopefully will be again.

'Drop-In' Pitches for those interested ...

MCG Portable Cricket Pitch Removal

• Like 1

Anyone have predictions for the next two test matches?

England likely to make some line up changes? Has KP had his day? Should Bell move up the order?

I think if Broad doesn't play, England will be in big trouble and could lose the next 2.

I think the biggest player in doubt is Prior. After losing the first 3, I think the selectors will

be in for some serious stick if they don't make any changes. Maybe Swann could be in

trouble as he has 7 poles at 80, although Prior hasn't helped him by missing a few chances.

I still think KP is safe. He's been getting himself out with poor shot selection rather than

getting bowled out. Dropping Prior or Swann would at least make a statement. I guess it

depends on the quality of players they have to replace them with.

I think Bell should be batting at 3.

Australia unchanged again. So much for the rotation policy. I'm glad Boofa knocked that

on the head.

How's George Bailey's run? Three tests, 3 wins.....nice.

• Like 1

For the sake of the fans , and the game , I hope England can pick themselves up and come out with somewhat more of a confident show .... A close game is a good game ........... Well done OZ .... Keep up The good work ........... Liebman seems to have turned the team up somewhat ??? England fans would love a Boxing day "gift" so come on England ......... Looking forward to the running commentory on TV boys ... keep up the good work !! Cheers !! thumbsup.gif

Spin bowler compares Ashes defeat to rape

Once again, another onslaught by the politically correct.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2013/12/19/09/13/uk-spin-bowler-compares-defeat-to-rape

UK cricketer Graeme Swann has come under fire after comparing the Ashes defeat to being "ass raped" on social media.

The spin bowler made the controversial remark to his brother Alec on Facebook yesterday, just hours after the cricketer's embarrassing thrashing by the Aussies, the Daily Mail reported.

Alec, whose Facebook profile is publicly accessible to anyone, posted a status saying how much he had enjoyed a night out watching Shed Seven in Northampton.

Two hours later, Swann, 34, responded with "Rather have been there than being ass raped in Perth!"

His actions have been labelled "appalling" by anti-rape advocates, who have called on the cricketer to apologise.

Spin bowler compares Ashes defeat to rape

Once again, another onslaught by the politically correct.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2013/12/19/09/13/uk-spin-bowler-compares-defeat-to-rape

UK cricketer Graeme Swann has come under fire after comparing the Ashes defeat to being "ass raped" on social media.

The spin bowler made the controversial remark to his brother Alec on Facebook yesterday, just hours after the cricketer's embarrassing thrashing by the Aussies, the Daily Mail reported.

Alec, whose Facebook profile is publicly accessible to anyone, posted a status saying how much he had enjoyed a night out watching Shed Seven in Northampton.

Two hours later, Swann, 34, responded with "Rather have been there than being ass raped in Perth!"

His actions have been labelled "appalling" by anti-rape advocates, who have called on the cricketer to apologise.

Nothing in it really, IMO

• Like 1