The Ashes Tour 2013

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Trott's out will have him enjoying a sleepless night I think....other than that England didn't do badly....a target of 350 and the Aussies will be in bother.

I look forward to Saturday...only cos I will miss tomorrow! biggrin.png

Another crap start for England.

Brilliant start for the Aussies!

When I went to bed ... England were 3 for 30

Caught that last of it on the radio in the 'wee' hours and we'd let them get to 5 for 250.

Just how did that happen.

OH ... good to see the Queen at Lord's ... I like ole' Libby.

Bairstow didn't ask for a review; how could he with his stumps all over the place?

The umpire thought it may have been a no ball, checked with the third umpire who confirmed it was and so called Bairstow back; who by then was half way back to the pavilion.

I thought the review of the front foot no ball was automatic for each wicket?

The Aussies started out on top..England fought back....Australia took the advantage again in the last half hour.

Can England bat on for 350, or all out for 300?

At 28-3 I would gladly have taken 300 if offered. Bell really has blossomed into a fine, determined player.

Interesting move by Clarke to bring on Smith, but certainly a good one. Game nicely poised.

The Aussies started out on top..England fought back....Australia took the advantage again in the last half hour.

At 28-3 I would gladly have taken 300 if offered. Bell really has blossomed into a fine, determined player.

Interesting move by Clarke to bring on Smith, but certainly a good one. Game nicely poised.

Agreeing all round!

Agreeing all round!

We have seen some good Captaincy this game... If it continues throughout the series I'll have to eat my words

Bairstow didn't ask for a review; how could he with his stumps all over the place?

The umpire thought it may have been a no ball, checked with the third umpire who confirmed it was and so called Bairstow back; who by then was half way back to the pavilion.

I thought the review of the front foot no ball was automatic for each wicket?

You are correct; my error.

The practice started, I understand, after Kevin Piertesen was walking off in South Africa (Pretoria?) a few years ago while the big screen reply showed it was clearly a no ball that took his wicket.

At 28 for 3, 250 seemed a long way off.

At 271 for 4, 400 plus seemed very possible.

At 289 for 7, 350 is a bit of a stretch. Though Bresnan and Broad can both bat, and Swann and Anderson are no mugs.

Boycott always says that you should add 2 wickets to your score; the events yesterday evening shows the wisdom of this.

Fantastic ball to get Bell, but Bairstow contributed massively to his own downfall and Prior could of gone either way; if the ball had been a fraction higher it would have gone to the boundary, a fraction lower and he'd have missed it altogether. But that's cricket.

So, was Clarke's decision to bring on Smith for his first over in the series a desperate "I've run out of options" move, a move to quickly use up overs and get the new ball, or an act of pure inspiration?

Edited by 7by7

So, was Clarke's decision to bring on Smith for his first over in the series a desperate "I've run out of options" move, a move to quickly use up overs and get the new ball, or an act of pure inspiration?

Hard to know for sure, but i think he realised he had to try something different and might as well give Smith a whirl before the new ball.

What was good is that Clarke stuck with Smith, after his first wicket, and when he could have taken the new ball, effectively giving Smith another two wickets. So by that you would have to sya he had some faith in Smith

Clarkey you really have to work on these reviews mate.

biggrin.png

That was a howler ...Why didn't Rodgers just tell Watson he was plumb & get off?

Clarke will waste another review on himself later then ,ha ,then the Aussies will get some poor calls from the umpires & the dopey Aussies will be up the creek ...

• Like 1

Clarkey you really have to work on these reviews mate.

biggrin.png

That was a howler ...Why didn't Rodgers just tell Watson he was plumb & get off?

Clarke will waste another review on himself later then ,ha ,then the Aussies will get some poor calls from the umpires & the dopey Aussies will be up the creek ...

I was watching the football and missed the Aussies batting.

Shame that Watson used the review like that. The online site I use said it was plumb and a wasted review. Ill look forward to seeing the replay.

have a feeling Clarke is going to be there all afternoon and notch up a very big score.

the guys class with a bat in his hand, i just hope i'm wrong ! biggrin.png

I think you might be right. Either way, the wicket has a draw written all over it.