The Ashes Tour 2013

Honours even at the end of day 1, I reckon.

But if England had held all their catches?

Yep, I agree, about 50/50.

Like you said, I think if England had opened up an end

by getting rid of Clarke or Haddin, who know's?

We won't know until tomorrow I guess to see if any of them go on with it.

Jeez...Id put England in front, esp with the late wicket of Bailey... It's a good batting strip and Warner, Watson, Rogers and Bailey all got settled.

England also have the advantage of batting last and facing Nathan Lyon. They'll be licking their lips over that.

Edited by BookMan

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Honours even at the end of day 1, I reckon.

But if England had held all their catches?

Yep, I agree, about 50/50.

Like you said, I think if England had opened up an end

by getting rid of Clarke or Haddin, who know's?

We won't know until tomorrow I guess to see if any of them go on with it.

Jeez...Id put England in front, esp with the late wicket of Bailey... It's a good batting strip and Warner, Watson, Rogers and Bailey all got settled.

England also have the advantage of batting last and facing Nathan Lyon. They'll be licking their lips over that.

You may be right BookMan. I reckon a par score is 400+ so a lot will depend on the first session.

Steve Smith doesn't look like he has a good enough technique for test cricket although we might

need his bowling later on.

I'm not a big Lyon fan either, but credit due, going into this test he had match figures from the last test

of 4/63 whereas Swann has 2/215. Will be interesting to see if he can back it up. KP will be the big danger.

Also, a good selection by the Poms to include 2 spinners methinks.

• Like 1

Australia 9/570 declared

i repeat...

Australia 9/570 declared

England in for a long long batting session. Good news for them is the wicket is batsman friendly. Bad news is they have spent 2 days in the field. Cook also dismissed to a ripsnorter from Johnson.

Australia 9/570 declared

i repeat...

Australia 9/570 declared

England in for a long long batting session. Good news for them is the wicket is batsman friendly. Bad news is they have spent 2 days in the field. Cook also dismissed to a ripsnorter from Johnson.

If England had remembered that "catches win matches" then the total could have been far less. England have themselves to blame and i'm not so sure its necessarily as good a track as 9/570 suggests. Panesars drop on a c and b was pathetic at any level. Roots was tough but a very good chance. Thats not to say the australians didn't bat very well because they did but i think England are in an almighty hole on a track that ain't as good as some seem to think.

Tremendous innings by the little chap very harshly nicknamed Pup.

Australia 9/570 declared

i repeat...

Australia 9/570 declared

If England had remembered that "catches win matches" then the total could have been far less. England have themselves to blame and i'm not so sure its necessarily as good a track as 9/570 suggests. Panesars drop on a c and b was pathetic at any level. Roots was tough but a very good chance. Thats not to say the australians didn't bat very well because they did but i think England are in an almighty hole on a track that ain't as good as some seem to think.

Are you in Adelaide now? ,brilliant we have inside knowledge on the condition of the pitch from Mr Carmine ! Is AlfieConn there with you giving his expert opinion & looking for a crack to stick his little pen into ?.Honestly your brilliance & all knowing about all sports is second to none on this forum.

Btw Monty is sh1t at catching ,he knows it ,Cook knows it & so do the Management.Carberry (who you failed to mention ) who dropped a dolly is renowned on the county circuit for his excellent catching & athleticism in the field .Nerves ,being on the big stage does strange things to the best of them though!

I predict a dogged batting display on day 3 until Pieterson & Prior get in & put the sh1ts up the Ockers .

^^ Yep, that delivery was special!

So quiet, you could hear a pin drop ... whistling.gif

Where have all those soap-dodgers gone?

During WWII, the Poms were famous for their resolve in the face of adversity.

I rather think WWI springs to mind.. They have learnt their lesson and are ensuring that this time, it really will be all over by Christmas.

Lose or draw in this test, Perth beckons. The Poms will be at least 2 down by game 3. Johnson at the WACA, they are s@@ting their pants already.

What happened to English fielding? Reminds me a lot of how Sri Lanka were in the late 80's.

For a side which prides itself on it's fielding, England were terrible.

Correct that; for any side, England were terrible!

To give Haddin one life was unfortunate, to give two careless, but to give him three......!

Having been given a life when the Aussies didn't review his lbw not out, here's hoping Carberry can tomorrow redeem his dropping of a sitter and produce the innings we all know he's capable of; and at least two others get big scores as well.

But for England to get anywhere close to Australia's total will take at least two days; so realistically, the best they can hope for is a draw.

All the talk was about the 'drop in pitch' leading up to the Adelaide Test.

The Aussies batted well on it ... with a touch of luck with England's fielding.

But the true test of the pitch will be after England have had their day on it.

So, do the Poms bat for a win, for pride ... or for a draw?

There was some sloppy fielding on the part of England...some half chances too, but that doesn't detract from the fact it is a good wicket. Top order fro Australia would all be rueing their starts and failure to capitalise on them.

No reason England cannot do the same. They have the better batting line up, imo, so they should be able to get a big score. The mental requirement of knowing you have to bat for 2 days just to force the draw might be an issue

Edited by BookMan

No reason England cannot do the same. They have the better batting line up, imo, so they should be able to get a big score. The mental requirement of knowing you have to bat for 2 days just to force the draw might be an issue

So BookMan ... you've just been named the English Captain (OMG ... facepalm.gif ) .. do you (the Poms) bat for a win, for pride ... or for a draw?

So BookMan ... you've just been named the English Captain (OMG ... facepalm.gif ) .. do you (the Poms) bat for a win, for pride ... or for a draw?

Bat to avoid the follow on. Then for the draw.

The only conceivable way England could win is for them to be all out for 350-ish. Australia get some quick runs, maybe a lead of 370-420 -ish and then throw England in for half an hour at the end of the 4th day.

I cant think of any reason AUstralia would not enforce the follow on given the opportunity.

What's your analysis David48?

Edited by BookMan

The only conceivable way England could win is for them to be all out for 350-ish. Australia get some quick runs, maybe a lead of 370-420 -ish and then throw England in for half an hour at the end of the 4th day.

I cant think of any reason AUstralia would not enforce the follow on given the opportunity.

I don't think it's even possible that the Poms would even consider a win at this stage.

If they bat all day today, they will still more than likely be 200 behind.

Even if Eng don't avoid the follow on, I'm not sure the Aussies would enforce it.

The next test is next week and the bowlers will need some recovery time. I expect

Lyon, Smith and Watson to bowl a fair bit.

Again, the first hour is vital. If Aus don't get 3 wickets in the first session, I can see Eng

batting out the day pretty comfortably.

• Like 1

I don't think it's even possible that the Poms would even consider a win at this stage.

If they bat all day today, they will still more than likely be 200 behind.

Even if Eng don't avoid the follow on, I'm not sure the Aussies would enforce it.

The next test is next week and the bowlers will need some recovery time. I expect

Lyon, Smith and Watson to bowl a fair bit.

Again, the first hour is vital. If Aus don't get 3 wickets in the first session, I can see Eng

batting out the day pretty comfortably.

Good point about the bowlers being tired. In the event the follow on could be enforced it might depend on time of day and all that.

i think the Australians would play for a win here given any opportunity. England gets a draw here and they can level the ashes series no problem

Oh Joe Root!

Takes on Lyon from the outset this morning and caught in the deep!

KP survives a review! Aussies with one review remaining.

edit: KP Gonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnee! Batting like a spendthrift millionaire clap2.gif (caught by Bailey after a juggle, bowled Siddle)

Edited by BookMan

Oh Joe Root!

Takes on Lyon from the outset this morning and caught in the deep!

KP survives a review! Aussies with one review remaining.

Thanks for the updates !!clap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif alt=clap2.gif width=31 height=25> Keep up the good work !! thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19>

See post above mate xlaugh.png.pagespeed.ic.SDkxrRteka.png alt=laugh.png width=20 height=20> . Late edit.

Howzat !! clap2.gif

Australia 9/570 declared

i repeat...

Australia 9/570 declared

Are you in Adelaide now? ,brilliant we have inside knowledge on the condition of the pitch from Mr Carmine ! Is AlfieConn there with you giving his expert opinion & looking for a crack to stick his little pen into ?.Honestly your brilliance & all knowing about all sports is second to none on this forum.

Btw Monty is sh1t at catching ,he knows it ,Cook knows it & so do the Management.Carberry (who you failed to mention ) who dropped a dolly is renowned on the county circuit for his excellent catching & athleticism in the field .Nerves ,being on the big stage does strange things to the best of them though!

I predict a dogged batting display on day 3 until Pieterson & Prior get in & put the sh1ts up the Ockers .

It appears you know as much about cricket as you do about football. 116-4 at lunch!! The out of form Pieterson dismissed already and all too predictable too.

Lets hope this dogged batting display you are predicting can reach historical levels to save this test match.

Seems your cricket knowledge could be written from start to finish on a fag packet

Australia 9/570 declared

i repeat...

Australia 9/570 declared

117-6. Thats Pieterson and Prior now.

You see, what you failed to grasp is that England had the Aussies at 132-6 on day one. Piss poor fielding and world class batting by Clarke created a bit of a myth in this being a solid batting wicket. Haddin was dropped three times!! btw, what has Carberry's fielding reputation in county cricket have to do with his piss poor fielding in this test match? All you seem to be doing is agreeing without meaning to. Oh and "nerves!!!" This is international test cricket lad. Nerves is part and parcel for everyone. England are just playing like a bunch of pussies.

I would think the aussie posters are looking forward to your predictions for the third test "oh knowledgeable one"