TOT internet throttling/cut off traffic/redirect traffic?

pingpingping

Myself and others on the same network have this problem quite often.

It is described in this post:http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/510420-tot-dns-server-problem-8hrs-a-day/

Basically, I can't browse the internet for at least a few hours a day. The connection seems to be working, but when I try to go to a site I typically get a dns server unresolved error message or it times out.

I'm pretty sure the ISP is messing around by interfering with the traffic. I have changed DNS servers - to no avail, I flush, reregister the DNS and release then renew the IP, but this doesn't work. Was wondering if anyone had similar experiences and if so how they resolved them.

Hmm, this is quite a pickle. They are blocking my FTP too!!!

I think generally all telecom providers don't do that great a job in providing their services. Or perhaps sometimes they do and sometimes they dont, just depends on how lucky you are. Right now, TOT isn't doing it for me and I need to switch, as it seems my issue is intractable. Can anyone in Chiang Mai recommend a provider they have had 'good luck' with ;)

I've had good luck with 3BB for several years now until recently when the problems you mentioned, which hitherto were not occurring, seem to be cropping up sporadically.

Possibly a generalized issue occasioned by, say, the international pipeline?

Theres an app called DNS jumper, found it on Snapfiles, it enables

you to change your DNS from a list of 40 ,so you can find the fastest

one,also lets you test to find the fastest one.

I am also on TOT,and its crap, its not bad until about 4 in afternoon

when the kids come home from school,then it slows right down,also

Saturday and Sundays are the same,

Not enough bandwith and selling to too many customers ,I think thats

the problem.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

I've had TOT for years now, had the same problem when I had DSL, as there are many many users on one switch. When I changed to TOT wireless that went away, now usually get full or close to full 10M down speeds consistently. And my choices are TOT or..TOT...

I can confirm, that TOT throttles my speed down to 2 MBit per single download.

Independent from server/file location or country or whatever

I have a 10 Mbit line and can get the 10 Mbit only with multiple parallel downloads.

This NEVER happend with my former TOT 7Mbit line, in my old house.

Needless to say, that they fake the speedtest too...bah.gif

But fortunately, I have options to chose another ISP.

I've had good luck with 3BB for several years now until recently when the problems you mentioned, which hitherto were not occurring, seem to be cropping up sporadically.

Possibly a generalized issue occasioned by, say, the international pipeline?

Pardon my ignorance but what is 3BB?

I have noticed that my connection is not as good as it previously was. I'll investigate switching to wireless but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who uses an alternative to TOT who is getting good consistent speed. I need an efficient internet connection especially in the evenings and I don't think that TOT is going to measure up to my needs.

Theres an app called DNS jumper, found it on Snapfiles, it enables

you to change your DNS from a list of 40 ,so you can find the fastest

one,also lets you test to find the fastest one.

I am also on TOT,and its crap, its not bad until about 4 in afternoon

when the kids come home from school,then it slows right down,also

Saturday and Sundays are the same,

Not enough bandwith and selling to too many customers ,I think thats

the problem.

regards Worgeordie

@ Worgeordie you have experience with TOT with this app ??

Edited by retell

I can confirm, that TOT throttles my speed down to 2 MBit per single download.

Independent from server/file location or country or whatever

I have a 10 Mbit line and can get the 10 Mbit only with multiple parallel downloads.

This NEVER happend with my former TOT 7Mbit line, in my old house.

Needless to say, that they fake the speedtest too...bah.gif

But fortunately, I have options to chose another ISP.

no problem with that on my tot winet had the 7 Mb and that was terrible now 2 months ago went to 12 Mb and downloads / torrents up to 1.5 MB/s still slow for what they have in the rest of the world but ok for LOS and only a fraction more expensive than the 10 Mb promotion , but i think the 12 is not very popular up here in the sticks

I'm getting exactly the same issue today - on TRUE in Bangkok.

It's not DNS (I've tried Google DNS 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4, and openDNS 208.67.222.222 / 208.67.220.220 ) with no effect.

Basically some web pages aren't working (some are - some aren't...)

Fortunately, I have a VPN connection to the office in Hong Kong on my work PC - and the same websites that don't show up on my normal PC are working on that PC with no issues, so it's definitely a Thailand thing.

I'm willing to bet there's some sort of screw up with the much-touted migration to IPv6 or something's gone badly wrong with their transparent proxies (or a combination of both). Probably the former by the time it's affecting multiple ISPs.

I'm assuming it's the proxy servers because my VPN connection is fine (secured stuff isn't cached by the proxies), and things like bank websites are fine (again https connections are secure, so can't be cached by the proxy servers).

Dosent matter who the provider is all lines lead to the same antiquated overloaded system, so yeah they have to manage their networks by limiting bandwidth at times. I know two true corp engineers (lol) whose job is to sit and watch a computer and reroute traffic when their lines reach saturation (should be automated and is to an extent). My home city back in the states has more fiber in the ground than all of thailand I would be willing to bet. Just the way it is when you dont invest in infrastructure but only tout and sell (scam) high speed adsl,3g, 4g (lol) without any way of actually providing it. Not like anyone can do anything about it when you are a gov monopoly.

Dosent matter who the provider is all lines lead to the same antiquated overloaded system, so yeah they have to manage their networks by limiting bandwidth at times. I know two true corp engineers (lol) whose job is to sit and watch a computer and reroute traffic when their lines reach saturation (should be automated and is to an extent). My home city back in the states has more fiber in the ground than all of thailand I would be willing to bet. Just the way it is when you dont invest in infrastructure but only tout and sell (scam) high speed adsl,3g, 4g (lol) without any way of actually providing it. Not like anyone can do anything about it when you are a gov monopoly.

Is anybody else having problems loading youtube, no matter TOT, TRUE OR any other Internet provider???

Is anybody else having problems loading youtube, no matter TOT, TRUE OR any other Internet provider???

Sometimes works, sometimes not.

If you want good internet, then change the country. They are not able here to provide anything consistant. And that is independant of the providers. Sometimes TOT works, sometimes TRUE. Or both don't work.

TIT. Internet is for games and Facebook.

If you want good internet, then change the country. They are not able here to provide anything consistant. And that is independant of the providers. Sometimes TOT works, sometimes TRUE. Or both don't work.

I thought so. Internet goes on and off and on and off and on and off,.... Nothing is guaranteed, this is Thailand

BTW may I ask you, what "TIT" stands for? "TIT=Thailand in Trouble"

Edited by MaxLee

I thought so. Internet goes on and off and on and off and on and off,.... Nothing is guaranteed, this is Thailand

BTW may I ask you, what "TIT" stands for? "TIT=Thailand in Trouble"

i thought is meant truly incompetent technicians - or throttled internet traffic - trollollolllo ibbababo trollolllo