Gained 23 lbs in 2 months. Good.

puukao

When in Chiang Mai, it was easy to be chronically dehydrated. Also, one bad stomach a week was not good. plus lots of exercise in the sun. all this sent the weight way down. down to 149 lbs, 5 ft 10.

exercise was consistent, and walking every day/night for at least an hour was great to keep the weight low while in Thailand. lots of fruit, little rice, and only one big meal a day. always active is so key is weight loss.

once back in the states, I can eat lots of meat, drink all the water I want, and sleep uninterrupted. lots of hockey now, and my biking times have remained constant despite a 172 weight. I work out 10 hours a week, which is still pretty good for most people.

body fat has remained the same, which is the best part, and, to me, the most important. not ideal. plan is to get to 175 and 8% body fat. I need goals.

so......if new to Thailand and weight is plummeting......it may not be the healthiest way to diet. haha. of course, in America, most people have an extra 100 lbs resting on their heart. ouch.

of course I was curious if I could get back to my weight of 1989. and I did. but it wasn't the best way to do it....

lesson learned.

if I was new to Thailand, I would find a way to measure body hydration levels (yes, it's a little crazy but I think a scale can do this for under $50).

water, fruit, some rice for energy, lots of vegetables.....and snacks. it's the same there as here, but because of the death heat I couldn't figure out the best hydration method.

my point.....I think it's easy to not be hydrated enough while in Chiang Mai, and I do think it's a big problem. urine clear is the best way to know you are fine.

good luck.

I have been here 7 years and never lost any weight until the last two years when I started putting some work into it. Prior to that I had gained weight. Hydration is not a problem as I force traineed myself to drink 3 liters a day of water. Plus of course some Pepsi Max.

Seems like we all react differently to the living conditions here as compared to back home. I just wish I could have had your experience that would have been just about the ideal weight loss for me.

I take it you are enjoying it back home.smile.png

This is an interesting topic for me... I am actually moving to Thailand on Friday. I am pretty heavy into fitness. Im a 27 year old American, Im 6'4 180lbs and I work out 3 hours per day... Im taking protein and creatine, among other supplements. Im interested to see what will become of my body in Thailand... I assume I wont be working out for at least the first few months in Thailand, and I will definitely be off of my supplements...

Is anyone into fitness? What do you do for protein in Thailand? Ive found a few shops that sell the stuff but it is 3-5x more expensive than it is in America... You would think it would be dirt cheap here!

The only way I have found to keep my weight in check is to ride my bike everyday 40k . If I stop riding it comes right back..... Usually takes me a couple of months to get it back to where it should be ....

This is an interesting topic for me... I am actually moving to Thailand on Friday. I am pretty heavy into fitness. Im a 27 year old American, Im 6'4 180lbs and I work out 3 hours per day... Im taking protein and creatine, among other supplements. Im interested to see what will become of my body in Thailand... I assume I wont be working out for at least the first few months in Thailand, and I will definitely be off of my supplements...

Is anyone into fitness? What do you do for protein in Thailand? Ive found a few shops that sell the stuff but it is 3-5x more expensive than it is in America... You would think it would be dirt cheap here!

Chicken, eggs, etc... Very cheap.

For myself I have discovered the best way to lose weight is set small goals and no time limit. Much easier than having to punish yourself for a piece of cheese cake.

My suggestion for the fellow moving here as has been said change your diet. You can still work out 3 hours a day.

Walking works....

These days I think nothing of walking 5-10k a day. Back when I was 25k heavier, I would take a songthaew from Hillside 4 to Kad Suan Kaew. I took off those 25k by walking. Slowly and short distances at first, getting faster and longer as my weight dropped. Not being a beer drinker helps, but I admit to a fondness for Dairy Queen.... That needed to be kept to the occasional small one rather than a daily large chocolate-covered one.

There is plenty of balanced protein available in Thai foods. It's just not a convenient as drinking a protein powder drink, nor does it have the same cache. It does, on the other hand, taste better.

As for 'where to walk,' I\ve discovered that the path around the moat has been newly re-surfaced and is actually flat without signboards or poles blocking the way. And it's pretty, too! If I want to walk from Kas Suan Kaew to Thapae Gate, I'll do it walking along the moat rather than through the center of the city. Safer, easier on the feet, and good exercise.

• Like 1

^ '...set small goals and no time limit.'

Good sound advice in my books.

I find that setting personal goals are fine, if tempered.

Personal time limits can be self-defeating as one keeps upping the ante, a sure route to heart failure when competing with one's self by never wishing to admit even the slightest setback.

• Like 1

Agree with Finy, egg whites are the easiest and cheapest source of protein in Thailand.

6'4" and 180lbs (81kgs) and you taking powders and working out 3 hours a day?

I'm 5'11" and about 210lbs and less than 10% BF.

You might be overdoing the training, or under doing the diet.

Edited by DLock

I never lost weight living here although I am not heavy

5'9" & 170

But I have lost the body fat that had built over the years in the US

So just the composition of my weight changed

I think as you say the heat here as I exercise the same in both places.

But also diet here is actually better as there are not so many sweets temptations/candy

& also dairy products are far fewer here.

I think the only time I have cheese here is once a month or so when I go to Mama Mia's for pizza.

Also No milk here & very rarely ice cream.

Ah, I was born skinny, and I remain skinny... I went through a phase while I was in the military trying to bulk up and put on weight... didnt work much... So now I just focus on being cut, skinny... My goal has now become the Brad Pitt from Fight Club type of body. I keep my calories and carbs in check, and I try to keep my protein high. I probably eat only 2000 calories per day. I will be the first to admit, that I am a skinny guy, but a good skinny, not skeletor skinny lol.

First time here as a student I lost 18kg or nearly 40lbs. I lived a horrible diet in University.

I gained it back over time and lost it again in the US, then gained 20 here since 2011.

IMO it's so much easier to gain weight here than the US.

In the US I can calculate my calories and macro molecules with ease, here I have no idea <deleted> I am putting in my body

You guys are really putting on weight in Thailand? Ive been to Thailand 6 or 7 times and have lost weight each time... Im moving perminantly on Friday... I just cant see how you can gain weight here (of course you can if you try)... Small portion sizes and WAY less meat... I really see it as you would have to put in real effort even maintain your western weight..

• Like 1

I was mystified the first few times I visited Thailand. I would lose six or eight pounds on every trip, even though I was exercising about one quarter as much as I did back home, because of limited access to gyms, and pools, and no mountain bike there. I came to the conclusion that just walking around two or three hours a day in that heat burned a lot of calories. Also, since the food is so tasty and spicy, I would eat a lot less. I was wondering if eating all that hot food stimulates the metabolism?

You guys are really putting on weight in Thailand? Ive been to Thailand 6 or 7 times and have lost weight each time... Im moving perminantly on Friday... I just cant see how you can gain weight here (of course you can if you try)... Small portion sizes and WAY less meat... I really see it as you would have to put in real effort even maintain your western weight..

Yeah, when I was 27 I didn't understand how people gained weight so easily either. Now I'm 43 and while I'm as active or more so than I was 16 years ago, my metabolism is not the same at all. I have to eat more and more carefully over time just to maintain my weight (5'8", 150 lbs.).

Protein powders are very expensive in the shops here but there are online sources within Thailand that aren't quite so pricey. I tend to get my protein more from eggs, yogurt, beans and whole grains, with some supplements as needed. One issue I think many of us have here is that in Thailand we tend to cook for ourselves less than we did back home. While Thai restaurant portions are much more sensible than US ones, the options are generally still not as good as when you make your own meals. Lots of white rice & heavily fried foods can easily contribute to weight gain.

The only way I have found to keep my weight in check is to ride my bike everyday 40k . If I stop riding it comes right back..... Usually takes me a couple of months to get it back to where it should be ....

I go to the exercise park 5 days a week for about 30 mins, I use the machines and walk quickly round the track, I have breakfast every morning of porridge oats and a carton of yogurt, a big meal around 5, then a cup of tea and biscuits about 7, I also have two mugs of homemade fruit smoothies mainly of banana and pineapple every day, I stay at the same weight all the time 75 Kilos, 6ft tall.

That's good for you if it works and you enjoy it. No-one really needs to ride a bike 40k every day, plus there's the added risk of losing weight permanently if you're schmucked by a truck. Going to a gym and doing moderate exercise will do the trick and of course sensible eating. By this I don't mean eating two lettuce leaves and a small tomato. I have found for weight loss and maintenance, exercise intensity in short bursts and longevity at a moderate level. You should leave the gym feeling refreshed, not dragging yourself out as if you've been hit by a steam train and head for the first Big Mac.

I live in a small village, no gyms, but I would think the exercise park would be just as good, and it's free.

For myself I have discovered the best way to lose weight is set small goals and no time limit. Much easier than having to punish yourself for a piece of cheese cake.

My suggestion for the fellow moving here as has been said change your diet. You can still work out 3 hours a day.

Why does anyone want to exercise 3 hrs every day? Unless you are just doing some sort of running or swimming etc and not doing weightlifting, you will just end up an over muscled monkey man, which I think is just as bad as being massively overweight, in fact you will still get overweight as muscle weighs more than fat.

+1

• Like 1

Have a look at this group on facebook.........I haven't had a chance to go along yet as I'm constantly injured but friends of mine that have attended have thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/chiangmaifitness/?fref=ts

Have a look at this link........it calculates how much water you need on a daily basis.

http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm

If you can't be bothered drinking water to that extent, water melon is a great substitute. You also get water from your food intake so take that into account when you are working out your daily requirement.

• Like 1

I do a lap around the moat for dog bite free exercise. I agree, pissing clear is the way to know you aren't dehydrated. I think sweating a lot is better than not sweating at all. Coke Zero helped me lose a lot of weight. It's shocking to see how hard it is too find sugar free drinks in many areas of Thailand. Most of the teas contain too much sugar. Bet on Diabetes to win, place, and show.

I like to take note of how many customers are in some of these highly touted restaurants. I had pad thai today for thirty thb, at a mom and pop Thai place I've been going to for 7 years. It was 40 THB, including a bottle of ice cold water. And no it wasn't a "roadside food stall" as the TV sponsor touts like to call all the good/cheap thai food, that is a lot better than what they are selling. The heat has been so bad, that I am really leery of places that don't do a steady stream of business. They seem to have such a difficult time serving cold beer, and by the time it goes back and forth from 25F-43F, 20-30 times, it taste more like vinegar based salad dressing than good beer. I did get some large Tigers at Tesco the other day. Born on date: June 3, 2013. British Wal-mart is the last place I want to spend my money.......but to me beer is food, the place with the freshest is going to get my business. No more Leo's for me, and you couldn'tpay me to drink a Chang Excrete, I mean Export. I'll be drinking Tiger with my best friend (myself) in an air-conditioned bar (my Hotel room), on ice, with a clean western toilet that is equiped with soap. Meanwhile if you all know of any places, where I don't need to explain refrigeration theory to get a clean, cold beer...let me know.

Edited by Thighlander
  • Like 1

That equates to a BMI of nearly 30. Borderline obese.

For that height and age 40ish, the healthy weight range is 133 - 180lbs

Check it on http://www.nhs.uk/bmi

I play ice hockey with a guy who is about 5 ft 10 and 210 and is rock solid. However, he does fit into that "muscle head" category, which isn't my desire. He is also 23 years old. BMI is a very bad measurement; however, a good start for beginners I guess. Why? Well, we don't all have the same body type. I'm a medium build, and this hockey player has a large frame. And the skeleton look is the worst. I know guys who are 5 ft 11 and 135 and I used to crush them on the bike up mountains when I was 155 lbs. so they looked bad and not great climbers. we were both pro's for a few years. not like getting money to race, so nothing special. but not clowns.

A good way to keep the body lean is to shock it. I mean go rock climbing one day, swimming the next, then running, biking and all kinds of weights. I used to think taking days off were good; however, I found walking 1 hour and light weights during an "off" day is much better for me.

I did gain 23 lbs, that is true; however, my average weight in Thailand was probably 155. my average weight in the US is about 165. ah, 23 sounds way better than 10. You can weigh yourself after a big meal, wearing clothes, after pounding a 2 litre of water, and see a big difference the next day after exercise. of course.

I also thought one big meal a day was good. 5 p.m. light breakfast, almost no lunch (fruits, snacks), exercise, then big dinner, and then more fruit and small things before bed. just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

That equates to a BMI of nearly 30. Borderline obese.

For that height and age 40ish, the healthy weight range is 133 - 180lbs

Check it on http://www.nhs.uk/bmi

Ah BMI...the great myth...

I'll never be anything other then obese according to BMI, but this year I'll probably complete an iron man because it's the last endurance event on my todo list. I've done the century (160km), marathon, double-century (320km), 24 hour solo ride, etc...