Gained 23 lbs in 2 months. Good.

puukao

I can use some advice on staying healthy and hydrated. at 68, 5'9" and 160lbs, I am a diabetic that is managed by diet and exercise and not drugs. I'd like to get down to 155 lbs.We are low budget, less is more 4 week stay types in a Thai hotel that has a small fridge. We would like a small skillet with a glass lid to gently steam the great variety of leafy greens and veggies to supplement any cooked fish, chicken or pork we buy.An 8" skillet is fine. Would like something inexpensive that we can leave behind if necessary, as we live in 110 volt zone in Canada. Last time we bought a skinny electric kettle for $10 and it served us well. Where can I get near Chinatown or Central , an electric skillet that's inexpensive? We have $20 nice ones here that we cannot use in Thailand.

As for dehydration we use coconut water (no sugar added). It makes yellow pea run clear in 30 minutes. In Canada, I buy 500 ml cans for $1 each and these are Thai products. Can I buy these in Chiang Mai if so where?

Finally I need to get some cardio walking and light jogging in the early mornings. Would anyone know a place in the are of Chinatown that has a flat unoccupied pavement (sidewalk) that goes a distance and won't trip me up and the area is not jammed with auto pollution?

Thanks

Dennis

• Like 1

....As for dehydration we use coconut water (no sugar added). It makes yellow pea run clear in 30 minutes. In Canada, I buy 500 ml cans for $1 each and these are Thai products. Can I buy these in Chiang Mai if so where?...

Thanks

Dennis

In Chiang Mai (and elsewhere in Thailand) you can get actual green coconuts and drink the juice out of them. No need for canned, and much better. Available in most supermarkets, fresh markets, and street vendors.

Without question the best rehydration fluid.

• Like 1

The coconut water from the coconut has to be the best, but the least convenient. In the mini fridge I could put down six cans and have access to them during the heat of the afternoon rather than trying to find one and or to crack open one. I do that when I run into a vendor on the streets.

When you next visit your favourite supermarket in Chiang Mai, kindly inquire if they carry these "NO SUGAR ADDED" pure coconut water cans. They are a major remedy for dehydration, as I am a diabetic and it takes very little to get dehydrated.

Still looking for where to find in Chiang Mai, an 8 inch inexpensive electric skillet with a glass cover.

Thanks

Is anyone into fitness? What do you do for protein in Thailand? Ive found a few shops that sell the stuff but it is 3-5x more expensive than it is in America... You would think it would be dirt cheap here!

Phuket Health Shop

http://www.phukethealthshop.com/

Best prices in the region. Best service in the region. Best delivery times in the region.

I'm 5'11" and about 210lbs and less than 10% BF.

That equates to a BMI of nearly 30. Borderline obese.

For that height and age 40ish, the healthy weight range is 133 - 180lbs

Check it on http://www.nhs.uk/bmi

Your crazy someone that is 210 lbs and less than 10% body-fat is huge (muscular) and more ripped then anyone you know.

That is why BMI is a totally outdated thing.

Today's weight: 164.

I like coconut water as well. Even a cheap bottle of Gatorade will work. The problem I used to have is wondering how much sodium was in the meals. Usually way too much, and then I would become even more dehydrated.

if you want to lose weight, eggs are great in the morning. they give you that "slow burn", instead of foods with high amounts of sugar. 2-3 eggs, 2 pieces of bread, tons of fruit and water....good to go.

I guess this thread is about trying not to get super dehydrated when in Chiang Mai. heat, pollution, allergies, lack of drinking water, high sodium levels, etc....makes it easy.

If one person new to Thailand says, "hey, i'm losing weight but maybe it's mostly water weight and I should really worry about being hydrated"....then good.

:)