Ok here we go...Sorry

I want to work for a medical company doing sales and training here in Thailand. The boss is in Singapore and very badly wants a foothold here and would like me to start working for him right away. Here are the issues I am unfamiliar with:

1. It's a very large and well known medical company worldwide. They do not have an office here in Thailand. They want one very badly. He has offered to pay for work permit or associated fees dealing with it.

2. I need a work permit that is country wide. I know you have to have a specific location, but what happens if I need to go to another big city or another part of Thailand? Can I get in trouble for working in Bangkok with a Phuket work permit? If its medical sales and training, I have to have access to the whole country.

I'm meeting with the Siam Legal people here in Phuket today, but I'd like some suggestions from you guys before I go so I don't walk in blind and feel completely retarded.

Thanks guys!

Well according to Siam Legal:

I laid out exactly what I wanted to do and how I wanted to do it. After it was said and done she said like this.

1. Will you be working for a company in Singapore? Yes

2. Will you be paid by company in Singapore to Singapore bank? Yes

3. Will you be importing or exporting goods? No

4. Is there a Thai office established already? No

5. Are you taking Thai money or paying Thai Tax? No

She says then it's no different than any other business meeting in Thailand. No work permit needed. As long as I don't take money from the potential customer and move it out of Thailand. She says she can print a letter saying as such in Thai in case I happen to run into any problems.

This problem solved for now..... This all seems too easy.

I did some consulting work here many years back and was given the same advice - no work permit needed. While you would technically be working, I think it's a pretty safe bet that as long as you are moving aroung meeting various clients and are not pegged to a desk and supervising staff in an office, you could proceed like this for a month or two, until you have started setting up offices. Let's face it, businessmen from all over the world arrive in Thailand every day to conduct meetings etc which is also technically working, but of course common-sense prevails.

At some point, however, you will need to get yourself legal because without a work permit, doing things like opening a bank account and getting a driver's license, signing leases etc will prove difficult.

Cheers

Yes, thank you very much. This seems to be the consensus. Like I said before, she was very quick to point out business men come to Thailand everyday for meetings and do not have work permits for obvious reasons. I will be traveling most of the time and never in an office for the near future. Nor will there be any staff. So, I think I will be ok for now anyway.

Again, it's a U.S. company who's Asia base is in Singapore. They want to hire me as a sales rep here in Thailand. I will be traveling around "offering" the information to who I need to as potential customers. They will place the order in Singapore and it will be filled by a distributor here in Thailand. I will not be paid in Thailand. Typical in Thailand everyone seems to be right. Siam Legal and many other say I don't need one, other say I can't take a dump in Thailand without one. So both parties are correct.

Edited by lopburi3
correct font

OK, I'll play this game. Please tell me how to get a work permit for a foreign company with no office in Thailand. Please tell me what you would do if you were in my shoes. I wish people here had the ability to see the big picture of what I'm trying to accomplish without picking everything apart first. I've tried to relay the facts as best as possible. I think it may be more constructive if anyone wanted to PM me (like several others have) concerning specific questions as opposed to asking about individual phases.

I think a big issue is if you will be stationed in Thailand, and thus have an office here, or if you will travel to Thailand from time to time from abroad to conduct business. if you are stationed in Thailand, you would need a work permit.

The training aspect I don't need, but goes further than a business meeting.

The OP states the Singapore office wants to open an Thailand office 'very badly'. A subsequent post states that equipment ordered will be delivered by an agent in Thailand.

If the company already has a registered Thai agent, then there's no need for an office. Setting up an office would entail company registration, WP's for the foreigners working their plus that other commitments regarding Thai staff, salaries, insurance and taxes.

If the OP is just conducting business meetings, then the advice from Siam Legal would be appropriate. The Singapore office and the assigned agent in Thailand would probably need to supply paperwork to get the OP a multi-entry business visa. However, if there's an office, staff or training of locals, then IMHO, that would mean a WP is required regardless of where the salary is paid.

I think a big issue is if you will be stationed in Thailand, and thus have an office here, or if you will travel to Thailand from time to time from abroad to conduct business. if you are stationed in Thailand, you would need a work permit.

The training aspect I don't need, but goes further than a business meeting.

This is the key point in the whole discussion, you will be based here, as the lawyer said....business men come to Thailand every day.....they come have their meeting and leave again....your not, at the end of day it's your decision, but if you do get caught out, it's not the lawyers problem, letter or not....it's your problem you alone would end up having to deal with the consequences

Personally based on what you have written to date, you would be working and thus need a WP further you would conducting your business in the open, leaving yourself in position where in if another company who is based here and is in competition with Singapore company could very easily report you if they found out just to get rid of the competition

• Like 2

I did some consulting work here many years back and was given the same advice - no work permit needed. While you would technically be working, I think it's a pretty safe bet that as long as you are moving aroung meeting various clients and are not pegged to a desk and supervising staff in an office, you could proceed like this for a month or two, until you have started setting up offices. Let's face it, businessmen from all over the world arrive in Thailand every day to conduct meetings etc which is also technically working, but of course common-sense prevails.

At some point, however, you will need to get yourself legal because without a work permit, doing things like opening a bank account and getting a driver's license, signing leases etc will prove difficult.

Cheers

Getting a driver's license does not require a work permit, just the proper visa type, but I get your point having a work permit makes things in Thailand work a lot easier.

Depending on how long the OP will be in Thailand each time, I'd be more concerned that the company can provide the right visa for him - if a work permit is required that can come later. If only spending 2-3 weeks here every other month, then just a 30 day arrival stamp will be fine, but if spending more time here than not, a 1-year multiple entry B visa would be the way to go.

Depending on how long the OP will be in Thailand each time, I'd be more concerned that the company can provide the right visa for him - if a work permit is required that can come later. If only spending 2-3 weeks here every other month, then just a 30 day arrival stamp will be fine, but if spending more time here than not, a 1-year multiple entry B visa would be the way to go.

Some labour offices insist that for business you must have a non-B visa and not staying in Thailand based on tourism.

After 2 days she emailed me back. She said she contacted the Labor dept and they said I will have to have a work permit. So yes, all of you were correct. Also, on a side note, she did say again in the email that if I was having a meeting, NOT demonstrating (which she left out the first time) then there is no way I needed one. Either way she gave me the corrected info so I'll be working on it. Thanks to all who wanted to help and not bust balls!