Honda Wave 125i Tire Upgrade Information

Hi all.

A while back, I asked about options for upgrading the OEM tires on my 2011 Honda Wave 125i to something that would be better for road trips and would have more holding power on wet roads. As I remember, TonyBKK gave me some good answers, however, I am now unable to find the information in any of the threads listed in my content list. That being the case, let me ask it again.

As noted, I have a 2011 Honda Wave 125i that currently has the OEM tires on it. As most of the posts indicate, the OEM tires on Waves tend to have a lot of durability but not a lot of road grip in the rain due to tread patterns and hard compounds used to make the tires. So, are there any other Wave riders out there that have upgraded and, if so, what did you go with and how have you enjoyed them?

I am in Chiang Mai so any availability information for there would be appreciated, however, anywhere in Thailand would be ok too.

Thanks

David

Stock tires work but suck.

I've found these Michelin tires with this all purpose tread excellent , you will notice the difference immediately in ride quality and handling.

Thanks Jimmy. I assume they will work on the stock rims?

David

I use Michelin too on my stock rims on a Wave125i but a bit oversized so you can load her up with two fat farangs and luggage and hope the little brakes (and more rubber on the road) will stop you.

M62 Gazelle 2.75-17 on the rear

M35 2.50-17 on the front (which requires you to sand down the inside front tip of the front fender a bit!)

The extra size makes 2 up rides better and much more stable at higher speeds or on faster roads when you are "making time".

Also for long rides (650km!) and long endurance (20,000++km) they are very good value for money.

Jaf

The Michelin tires I use are on the stock rims and same size as the OEM's than came with the bike - you can go up one size on the stock rims , but I don't recommend that (throws the balance and symmetry off IMO).

Thanks Jimmy.

I'll go have a look at some. I like the look of the tread on them.

David

I use Michelin too on my stock rims on a Wave125i but a bit oversized so you can load her up with two fat farangs and luggage and hope the little brakes (and more rubber on the road) will stop you.

M62 Gazelle 2.75-17 on the rear

M35 2.50-17 on the front (which requires you to sand down the inside front tip of the front fender a bit!)

The extra size makes 2 up rides better and much more stable at higher speeds or on faster roads when you are "making time".

Also for long rides (650km!) and long endurance (20,000++km) they are very good value for money.

Jaf

Thank you for the reply train2bangkok.

I liked all of that until you got to the part about having to modify the front tip of the fender. I am just looking for something that is pretty much the same size as the OEM tires.

David

Stock tires work but suck.

I've found these Michelin tires with this all purpose tread excellent , you will notice the difference immediately in ride quality and handling.

Hi Jimmy

A couple of questions. Michelin has 3 models of tires that meet the 2.50-17 43P REINF spec listed on your pictures. The M35 looks the closest to the tread pattern in your picture. Is that the one you use? Second, do you use the 2.50-17 on both front and rear or do you use a 2.25-17 (which is closer to the OEM size) on the front? Last question. Have you had any experience with the M62 series? Its designed usage (http://motorcycle.michelin.asia/twproduct/findProduct/moreProduct/204) seems like it would be more useful on Thailand's "uneven, rugged road surfaces."

David

You can use M35 2.25 front and M62 2.5 rear if you don't want oversize.

the oversize 2.5 /2.75 do pretty much fit and the sanding down cannot be seen and takes just a few minutes of time.

balance, stability and braking are much better and unless you are a demon traffic weaver you won't notice in terms of maneuverability.

the M62 is a very good STRONG and highly durable rear tire and excellent in wet, slippy, bumpy or potholed conditions. In 45,000km on them I also never had a puncture despite hitting several large nails.

You can use M35 2.25 front and M62 2.5 rear if you don't want oversize.

the oversize 2.5 /2.75 do pretty much fit and the sanding down cannot be seen and takes just a few minutes of time.

balance, stability and braking are much better and unless you are a demon traffic weaver you won't notice in terms of maneuverability.

the M62 is a very good STRONG and highly durable rear tire and excellent in wet, slippy, bumpy or potholed conditions. In 45,000km on them I also never had a puncture despite hitting several large nails.

Thanks for the information train2bangkok.

Considering the general quality of Thailand's roads and the wet conditions you get here, the M62 sounds like it would be a better all round tire.

David