Fbar? foreign bank account report.

do you have to file the fbar every year.... or only once?

the sum must be reported in usa dollars or in local currency (bahts for Thailand).

I must report all accounts over 10000$, but how much is that if the currency change every hour?

can u do that online.? if I file fbar on paper, file must be printed?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OP might have made this more clear.

This is only of interest to U.S.A. people with foreign bank accounts, etc.

1. Yes, every year the SUM of all your foreign accounts goes over 10K USD. Not once. EVERY year.

That means you report ALL accounts in such years, even the small ones, yes even an account of 100 dollars.

When reporting, each report for each account is based on the HIGHEST level it reached all year, even if only for one day, so you need records of the accounts to do this.

2. Reported in US dollars. The FBAR instructions guide you to a site where you find the exchange rate to use for the previous year. It is based on the rate of the LAST day of the previous year. The baht rate for 2012 calender year FBAR filings which are due very soon is: 30.58

3. FBAR's for 2012 calender year are due AT THE OFFICE of treasury on June 30, 2013. You CAN mail that but time is running out! Again, not the postmark date, the deadline in this case is the arrival date, unlike IRS tax filings. You can also file that online.

http://bsaefiling.fincen.treas.gov/Enroll_Individual_Step_01.html

If your 2012 is still not filed and you hope to file online, start now. Most people experience a learning curve/technical issues with these filings. The instructions are shockingly outdated and even in some cases blatantly incorrect.

4. Starting very soon JULY 1, 2013, ALL FBARS MUST be filed online. Mailing forms will NOT be accepted after June 30, 2013 EVER unless of course they change their rules.

Penalties for non-compliance are extremely severe.

If you are trying to file online for 2012 and you encounter problems, you might find help here or even by calling the USA help phone number which is only open during their business hours.

Edited by Jingthing

I arrived in the usa late 2012.i guess I must file fbar before July 2014.

I understand if I file a bank account of 11000$ and I take money out and keep 20$ on this account. I must report it every year unless I close the account.

so the rule is to open several bank accounts and never go over 10000$. to be safe keep 9500$ and low interest.

what bank in Thailand will let me open hundred of bank accounts? :D

I understand if I file a bank account of 11000$ and I take money out and keep 20$ on this account. I must report it every year unless I close the account.

so the rule is to open several bank accounts and never go over 10000$. to be safe keep 9500$ and low interest.

what bank in Thailand will let me open hundred of bank accounts? biggrin.png

I don't pretend to understand what you just wrote, but I can say this.

If you have foreign accounts totaling 100 dollars in a calendar year you don't need to file even if you needed to report those accounts in previous years when you had an AGGREGATE of accounts totaling over 10K USD. If that's what you meant by every year, that's not how I originally understood your question. I meant EVERY YEAR you are required to file based on the aggregate over 10K USD guidelines.

If you are still confused, read the instructions related to filing the form online. Most people can easily determine whether they are required to file or not as I reckon most people who need to file have a lot MORE than 10K USD in foreign bank accounts; thus no ambiguity.

The currently due FBARS (June 30 2013) are for foreign accounts during the 2012 calender year.

Next year's 2014 deadline will be for calender year foreign accounts of 2013, etc.

Edited by Jingthing

OK jingting it s clear now. thank you.

I file only account which was in excess of 10000$ during the year.

all my small accounts I opened in Thailand to get holiday money in a bank don't t need to be filed as i have less than 150000 bahts on each account.

any tax expert in Bangkok or pattaya?

OK jingting it s clear now. thank you.

I file only account which was in excess of 10000$ during the year.

all my small accounts I opened in Thailand to get holiday money in a bank don't t need to be filed as i have less than 150000 bahts on each account.

any tax expert in Bangkok or pattaya?

Close anyway.

If the aggregate SUM of multiple accounts was over 10K USD in a year, then all accounts must be reported in an FBAR reflecting that year, even those which never came close to 10K USD.

Edited by Jingthing

OK. they count all account in one bank...?

look complicated...

I don't understand you. Sorry.

Maybe this will help:

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Report-of-Foreign-Bank-and-Financial-Accounts-%28FBAR%29

Who Must File an FBAR

United States persons are required to file an FBAR if:

The United States person had a financial interest in or signature authority over at least one financial account located outside of the United States; and

The aggregate value of all foreign financial accounts exceeded $10,000 at any time during the calendar year to be reported.

In such cases, ALL accounts contributing to the aggregate need to be reported, even those which never reached 10K USD.

Edited by Jingthing

if bank X I have 9900 and 5000 and 11000 which one I report.?

if bank Y I have 300

at the end what I report... as bank X and Y I got more than 10000 in total.

Report ALL accounts if the aggregate of ALL accounts went over 10K USD in a year. The reporting amount is the HIGHEST level an account reached in that year.

what? and even in other countries...?

I have bank account with little money in Europe,. so I should report all my worldwide account because I have over 10000 freaking $ outside of usa.?

Yes, ALL foreign accounts. Of course. Why is that surprising?

Anyway, don't complain to me about FBAR. I hate being treated like we're all criminals but that's the way it is.

Edited by Jingthing

I've given up trying to summarize tax rules here; it's too easy to mislead because you can't mention everything, yet there are always exceptions that might trip up a particular person (for example, FBAR applies not just to accounts in your name but to accounts you control, as well).

You really must look at the IRS instructions themselves and look at those instructions carefully, not get tax advice off a web board.

But I will mention that online filing of FBAR forms can be dodgy -- maybe it will work for you maybe it won't -- so don't wait till the last day to file when it's too late to mail it in if you can't get the online form to work.

Note that there's another filing requirement for those with foreign financial assets (including shares of stock as well as bank accounts). It's Form 8938 to be filed with your tax return. The thresholds are higher under this form, but look carefully at the instructions to see if you have to file it.

Edited by taxout
  • Like 1

I agree. Read the instructions!

This isn't the place to get authoritative tax advice, but I think some of us can point people in the right direction for the most part but you'd be a fool to take forum based comments as the final word.

For MOST people there is no ambiguity at all about who needs to file FBAR or not.

For those who think they are borderline on the 10K USD aggregate rule, I don't see any harm in FILING anyway rather than assuming you don't need to file.

But for online FBAR filing, don't take the instructions too literally as some of the technical details are shockingly incorrect, and I have had that CONFIRMED.

Whats more ridiculous is starting July 1, online filing will be the ONLY option for those required to file FBARs.

Again, I don't represent myself as a taxation expert, but I AM someone who knows they need to file FBARs and really it wasn't rocket science for figure that out. Filing online, that was closer to rocket science!

Edited by Jingthing

See below. I filed the paper report a month ago, didn't want to bother with the online form, but may have to next year. I went over the $10k aggregate as brought in some funds to buy a new Toyota van last year. This year don't expect to be over the ceiling.

Mac

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Report-of-Foreign-Bank-and-Financial-Accounts-(FBAR)

Like Share Print
Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR)
If you have a financial interest in or signature authority over a foreign financial account, including a bank account, brokerage account, mutual fund, trust, or other type of foreign financial account, the Bank Secrecy Act may require you to report the account yearly to the Internal Revenue Service by filing Form TD F 90-22.1, Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR).
The FBAR is required because foreign financial institutions may not be subject to the same reporting requirements as domestic financial institutions. The FBAR is a tool to help the United States government identify persons who may be using foreign financial accounts to circumvent United States law. Investigators use FBARs to help identify or trace funds used for illicit purposes or to identify unreported income maintained or generated abroad.
Recent FBAR Guidance
On February 24, 2011, the Treasury Department published final regulations amending the FBAR regulations. These regulations became effective March 28, 2011, and apply to FBARs required to be filed with respect to foreign financial accounts maintained in calendar year 2010, and for FBARs required to be filed with respect to all subsequent calendar years. The FBAR form and instructions (PDF) have been revised to reflect the amendments made by the final regulations.
On May 31, 2011, the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) issued FinCEN Notice 2011-1 (PDF), revised June 6, 2011, to provide filing deferral to certain individuals with signature authority over, but no financial interest in, foreign financial accounts of their employer or a closely related entity. The filing deadline for employees and officers to report signature authority over these accounts was extended to June 30, 2012, for the following individuals:
An employee or officer of an entity under 31 CFR § 1010.350(f)(2)(i)-(v) who has signature or other authority over and no financial interest in a foreign financial account of a controlled person of the entity; or
An employee or officer of a controlled person of an entity under 31 CFR § 1010.350(f)(2)(i)-(v) who has signature or other authority over and no financial interest in a foreign financial account of the entity, the controlled person, or another controlled person of the entity.
For purposes of FinCEN Notice 2011-1, a controlled person is a United States or foreign entity more than 50 percent owned (directly or indirectly) by an entity under 31 CFR § 1010.350(f)(2)(i)-(v).
On June 17, 2011, FinCEN issued Notice 2011-2 (PDF) to provide filing deferral for certain officers or employees of investment advisors registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission who have signature authority over, but no financial interest in, foreign financial accounts of their employer. The filing deadline for employees and officers to report signature authority over these accounts was similarly extended to June 30, 2012.
Due to additional questions and concerns regarding the signature authority filing exceptions within Notice 2011-1 and Notice 2011-2, FinCEN twice extended the revised filing deadlines imposed by those two notices. On February 14, 2012, FinCEN issued FinCEN Notice 2012-1 (PDF), extending the reporting deadline to June 30, 2013, for signature authority reporting of the employees and officers identified in Notice 2011-1 and Notice 2011-2, to the same extent of reporting as originally set forth in those notices. More recently, on December 26, 2012, FinCEN issued Notice 2012-2, further extending this same filing deferral to June 30, 2014.
All other U.S. persons required to file an FBAR this year are required to meet the June 30, 2013 filing date.
On Jan 9, 2012, the IRS reopened the Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program following continued interest from taxpayers and tax practitioners after the closure of the 2011 and 2009 programs. This program will be open for an indefinite period until otherwise announced.
Who Must File an FBAR
United States persons are required to file an FBAR if:
The United States person had a financial interest in or signature authority over at least one financial account located outside of the United States; and
The aggregate value of all foreign financial accounts exceeded $10,000 at any time during the calendar year to be reported.
United States person means United States citizens; United States residents; entities, including but not limited to, corporations, partnerships, or limited liability companies created or organized in the United States or under the laws of the United States; and trusts or estates formed under the laws of the United States.
Exceptions to the Reporting Requirement
Exceptions to the FBAR reporting requirements can be found in the FBAR instructions. There are filing exceptions for the following United States persons or foreign financial accounts:
Certain foreign financial accounts jointly owned by spouses;
United States persons included in a consolidated FBAR;
Correspondent/nostro accounts;
Foreign financial accounts owned by a governmental entity;
Foreign financial accounts owned by an international financial institution;
IRA owners and beneficiaries;
Participants in and beneficiaries of tax-qualified retirement plans;
Certain individuals with signature authority over but no financial interest in a foreign financial account;
Trust beneficiaries; and
0. Foreign financial accounts maintained on a United States military banking facility.
Look to the form’s instructions to determine eligibility for an exception and to review exception requirements.
Reporting and Filing Information
A person who holds a foreign financial account may have a reporting obligation even though the account produces no taxable income. Checking the appropriate block on FBAR-related federal tax return or information return questions (for example, on Schedule B of Form 1040, the "Other Information" section of Form 1041, Schedule B of Form 1065, and Schedule N of Form 1120) and filing the FBAR, satisfies the account holder's reporting obligation.
The FBAR is not filed with the filer's federal income tax return. The granting, by the IRS, of an extension to file federal income tax returns does not extend the due date for filing an FBAR. You may not request an extension for filing the FBAR. The FBAR is an annual report and must be received by the Department of the Treasury in Detroit, MI, on or before June 30th of the year following the calendar year being reported. While FinCEN strongly encourages individuals to electronically file FBARs, the form can be mailed to one of the two addresses below, provided that the mailing is received by June 30, 2013:
File by mailing the FBAR to:
United States Department of the Treasury
P.O. Box 32621
Detroit, MI 48232-0621
If an express delivery service is required for a timely filed FBAR, address the parcel to:
IRS Enterprise Computing Center
ATTN: CTR Operations Mailroom, 4th Floor
985 Michigan Avenue
Detroit, MI 48226
Delivery messenger service contact telephone number: (313) 234-1062.
Account holders who do not comply with the FBAR reporting requirements may be subject to civil penalties, criminal penalties, or both.
Electronic Filing for FBAR Forms – MANDATORY Beginning July 1, 2013
On June 29, 2011, FinCEN announced that all FinCEN forms must be filed electronically with certain exceptions. The FBAR was granted a general exemption from mandatory electronic filing through June 30, 2013. E-filing is a quick and secure way for individuals to file FBARs. Filers will receive an acknowledgement of each submission. For more information about FBAR e-filing, read the FinCEN news release.
New Reporting Requirements by U.S. Taxpayers Holding Foreign Financial Assets (Form 8938)
Taxpayers with specified foreign financial assets that exceed certain thresholds must report those assets to the IRS on Form 8938, Statement of Specified Foreign Financial Assets. The new Form 8938 filing requirement does not replace or otherwise affect a taxpayers requirement to file FBAR. A chart providing a comparison of Form 8938 and FBAR requirements, and other information to help taxpayers determine if they are required to file Form 8938, may be accessed from the IRS Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act Web page.
FBAR Assistance
Help in completing Form TD F 90-22.1 (PDF) is available Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Eastern Time, at (866) 270-0733 (toll-free inside the U.S.) or (313) 234-6146 (not toll-free, for callers outside the U.S.). The form is available online at IRS.gov and Financial Crimes Enforcement Network Website or by telephone at (800) 829-3676. Questions regarding the FBAR can be sent to [email protected].

I agree. Read the instructions!

This isn't the place to get authoritative tax advice, but I think some of us can point people in the right direction for the most part but you'd be a fool to take forum based comments as the final word.

For MOST people there is no ambiguity at all about who needs to file FBAR or not.

For those who think they are borderline on the 10K USD aggregate rule, I don't see any harm in FILING anyway rather than assuming you don't need to file.

But for online FBAR filing, don't take the instructions too literally as some of the technical details are shockingly incorrect, and I have had that CONFIRMED.

Whats more ridiculous is starting July 1, online filing will be the ONLY option for those required to file FBARs.

Again, I don't represent myself as a taxation expert, but I AM someone who knows they need to file FBARs and really it wasn't rocket science for figure that out. Filing online, that was closer to rocket science!

Glad this topic was started, this is the first time FBAR applies to me, and I had completely forgotten about it. I just now tried to file online, but with little success. I was able to fill out the form and save it, but was unable to submit it. Decided to download a hard copy of the form, and will drop it in the mail tomorrow. Hope they have all the bugs worked out by next year. Thanks once again for the heads up.

what bank in Thailand will let me open hundred of bank accounts? biggrin.png

With a name like Cheapcharly I'd be surprised if you'd need more than one!whistling.gif

Glad this topic was started, this is the first time FBAR applies to me, and I had completely forgotten about it. I just now tried to file online, but with little success. I was able to fill out the form and save it, but was unable to submit it. Decided to download a hard copy of the form, and will drop it in the mail tomorrow. Hope they have all the bugs worked out by next year. Thanks once again for the heads up.

Sounds like you may have a similar problem to mine. When I first tried to submit my internet connection dropped off, who knows, maybe caused by them. So it wasn't submitted. I then logged off, then logged on, and successfully submitted the SAVED and SIGNED version of the document. Anyway, better luck next year. All of us who need to file will need it.

"Decided to download a hard copy of the form, and will drop it in the mail tomorrow. Hope they have all the bugs worked out by next year."

I'm not sure what you did, but you can't file a hardcopy of the FINCEN forms, the ones that say "Processed by FINCEN" at the top. You have to download and use the normal PDF version of the form.

"Can I submit a printed version of the electronic Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) E-Filing BSA Form to FinCEN?

No. FinCEN will not accept printed versions of the forms produced by BSA E-Filing. This type of submission does not meet the reporting requirements under Title 31, Part 103 of the Bank Secrecy Act."

http://bsaefiling.fincen.treas.gov/FAQs.html

• Like 2

If the aggregate SUM of multiple accounts was over 10K USD in a year, then all accounts must be reported in an FBAR reflecting that year, even those which never came close to 10K USD.

To be more precise, it's:

..... meaning, at any given moment. Thus, if you had $6000 in a Bangkok Bank account, then closed the account and moved it to Kasikorn Bank -- you would not have an aggregate of $12000 for FBAR purposes -- and thus no filing requirement.

Same scenario, but closing an account worth $11000, and moving it to Kasikorn. Yes, FBAR filing now required. And both accounts required to be reported, showing a total of $22k (plus any additional amounts from any other accounts that were in effect during that calendar year).

Here's where it gets interesting. A couple of years ago, the Form 1040 Schedule B was modified, requiring it to be filed *if* you had any foreign financial accounts (not just if you had $1500 in interest or dividends) -- and indicating whether or not you're required to file a FBAR. Thus, you could no longer claim ignorance of the FBAR requirement -- at least if you filed an income tax form (heretofore, the greatest scream heard was, "I didn't know I had to file a FBAR").

And, now, by requiring the Schedule B to be filed, the IRS can look over your Schedule B -- and ponder why you haven't declared any foreign interest (particularly if your FBAR has an interesting array of accounts and amounts, indicating the money wasn't just passing through for a day or so, on the way to building your new house).

Probably no great worry -- for now -- unless, of course, NSA has told the IRS you're a member of the Tea Party.smile.png

• Like 1

Thanks JG. I know we talked about that "any given moment" details some time ago but it was hazy for me. In my case, there is no ambiguity about the need to file FBAR as I've had over 10K USD in foreign accounts at ALL moments during my time abroad.

The any given moment thing might be what Cheapcharly was driving at.

Edited by Jingthing

I will file as I have more than the 10000$ in non USA accounts.

so what other requirement I need to file? to not end in jail!

why this s.. t is not explained to immigrants?

what about my stocks? should I call my bank. and let them know I am a happy USA resident? when this must be reported.?

I will file as I have more than the 10000$ in non USA accounts.

so what other requirement I need to file? to not end in jail!

why this s.. t is not explained to immigrants?

what about my stocks? should I call my bank. and let them know I am a happy USA resident? when this must be reported.?

You might need professional tax advice. Seriously. It's not an unusual need. Cheers.

Yes, you do need to talk to a tax professional for an overview of the filing requirements applicable to your particular situation.

For example, in addition to FBAR, there's the similar but not quite the same report of foreign financial assets (including foreign stocks) on Form 8938. This is filed with your tax return.

If you receive substantial gifts or inheritances from a foreign person (or have dealings with a foreign trust) there's Form 3520 to file.

If you're a shareholder or director in a closely-held foreign corporation, then you might have to file Form 5471.Failure to file this form and deal with the controlled foreign corporation rules can easily trip up foreigners who immigrate to the US.

As an aside, it's always a good idea to get tax advice BEFORE you make a major change like immigrate to the US. To take just one example, if you have stocks with a lot of unrealized gain, it's often a good idea to sell them and take the gain before you immigrate. If you sell them after you immigrate you'll be subject to US tax on the whole amount of the gain, even though most of it accrued prior to your immigration.

Sounds like you may have a similar problem to mine. When I first tried to submit my internet connection dropped off, who knows, maybe caused by them. So it wasn't submitted. I then logged off, then logged on, and successfully submitted the SAVED and SIGNED version of the document. Anyway, better luck next year. All of us who need to file will need it.

I had trouble because I kept getting a message that I needed the latest version of Adobe Reader, which I already had. I kept trying and trying, and kept getting the same damned message. Finally I completely uninstalled Adobe Reader and every other pdf program I had in my computer, cleaned the registry, etc. Then I clicked on the Adobe link posted in the FBAR site and downloaded and installed the version they were pointing to. There! It's got to work now. I went through the whole process from scratch and . . . "You must first install the latest version of Adobe Reader." Grrrrr. I was now about two or three hours into this mess. I downloaded the paper form filled it out, copied it three times and mailed it three times (I'm too cheap to pay for EMS and regular mail is cheap). By the way, I filed electronically last year and had no problem at all -- smooth as silk. So it's not like I don't know how to do it.

This is the text from a response from BSA about my issues trying to submit the report via online system. I also attach the settings PDF they attached. As some folks say, I also gave up after numerous attempts and posted the correct forms. This was about 2 months ago. I sent them a response indicating I would not un-install my Adobe Acrobat or any other programs that cause them problems and they should get their act together and spend some of my tax money to get this system working.

You are receiving this e-mail in reference to your BSA E-Filing ticket.

It appears that the settings with Adobe Reader may be incorrect. Please see the attached document for directions on how to ensure your Adobe Reader settings are correct. Only Adobe Reader version 9 and above are compatible with the BSA E-FilingSystem. If you have an earlier version installed, you will need to upgrade your Adobe Reader.

Additionally, please ensure that you do not have any version of Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Pro, Adobe Standard, or Adobe Air installed on your computer. These programs are known to cause a conflict with our website's functionality, and we advise user not to have these programs installed on computers that are utilizing the BSA E-Filing System. If you removed the Adobe programs mentioned, ensure that you restart your computer. Once you have updated the settings, retry submitting the report.

Thank you,
BSA E-Filing Help Desk
Phone: 866-346-9478
8:00 am to 6:00 pm EST
[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>

Adobe Reader Settings.pdf

To be more precise, it's:

..... meaning, at any given moment. Thus, if you had $6000 in a Bangkok Bank account, then closed the account and moved it to Kasikorn Bank -- you would not have an aggregate of $12000 for FBAR purposes -- and thus no filing requirement.

Same scenario, but closing an account worth $11000, and moving it to Kasikorn. Yes, FBAR filing now required. And both accounts required to be reported, showing a total of $22k (plus any additional amounts from any other accounts that were in effect during that calendar year).

Here's where it gets interesting. A couple of years ago, the Form 1040 Schedule B was modified, requiring it to be filed *if* you had any foreign financial accounts (not just if you had $1500 in interest or dividends) -- and indicating whether or not you're required to file a FBAR. Thus, you could no longer claim ignorance of the FBAR requirement -- at least if you filed an income tax form (heretofore, the greatest scream heard was, "I didn't know I had to file a FBAR").

And, now, by requiring the Schedule B to be filed, the IRS can look over your Schedule B -- and ponder why you haven't declared any foreign interest (particularly if your FBAR has an interesting array of accounts and amounts, indicating the money wasn't just passing through for a day or so, on the way to building your new house).

Probably no great worry -- for now -- unless, of course, NSA has told the IRS you're a member of the Tea Party.smile.png

Probably why their online filing system is so messed up. They moved all their good tech people to the NSA.

This is the text from a response from BSA about my issues trying to submit the report via online system. I also attach the settings PDF they attached. As some folks say, I also gave up after numerous attempts and posted the correct forms. This was about 2 months ago. I sent them a response indicating I would not un-install my Adobe Acrobat or any other programs that cause them problems and they should get their act together and spend some of my tax money to get this system working.

You are receiving this e-mail in reference to your BSA E-Filing ticket.

It appears that the settings with Adobe Reader may be incorrect. Please see the attached document for directions on how to ensure your Adobe Reader settings are correct. Only Adobe Reader version 9 and above are compatible with the BSA E-FilingSystem. If you have an earlier version installed, you will need to upgrade your Adobe Reader.

Additionally, please ensure that you do not have any version of Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Pro, Adobe Standard, or Adobe Air installed on your computer. These programs are known to cause a conflict with our website's functionality, and we advise user not to have these programs installed on computers that are utilizing the BSA E-Filing System. If you removed the Adobe programs mentioned, ensure that you restart your computer. Once you have updated the settings, retry submitting the report.

Thank you,

BSA E-Filing Help Desk

Phone: 866-346-9478

8:00 am to 6:00 pm EST

[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>

What the &lt;deleted&gt;??!! They invade my privacy, force me to disclose private financial information under penalty of huge fines and jail, and I do it, but now they tell me I also have to uninstall programs and generally modify my computer to be able to comply with their requirements? So next year, when electronic filing is mandatory, it will also, then, become mandatory that I uninstall PDF Viewer, Adobe Standard, Adobe Pro and every other pdf program that might conflict with their POS site? I don't think so. If, next year, I cannot file electronically without all these modifications, they are getting another paper form with a letter informing them that they will make a more user friendly website or they will get paper and let the chips fall where they may. Enough is enough.

I just sent this e-mail to [email protected] with my name attached:

Dear BSAE,

Last year I was able to file my FBAR online, no problem. This year, I kept getting a message that said I needed the latest version of Adobe Reader, which I already had. After three hours of uninstalling, restarting, reinstalling and restarting, I finally gave up and mailed the paper version (three times to make sure you got it).

I further see instructions telling me I have to uninstall various other programs I might have on my computer.

I do all my financial transactions online and they are all secure. I have NEVER been told to uninstall programs or otherwise modify my computer.

But you folks tell me I Must MODIFY MY COMPUTER TO SUIT YOU??? &lt;deleted&gt;?

My understanding is that next year, online filing will be mandatory.

Be advised, I have no intention of making any modifications to my computer beyond having the latest version of Adobe Reader installed. I will NOT uninstall any programs. If I am unable to file online, I'll comply with the law by sending a paper report just as I did this year. And until you get your act together, that's how I'll file every year.

You folks need to get your act together. I would be interested in hearing from you on this, but I seriously doubt that I will. And if you do respond, please refrain from using any intimidating language. I am NOT intimidated and will NOT be intimidated. Capiche?

Perhaps everyone should send something similar.