Luxury cars: Papers for 301 cars 'tied to Thai tax scam'

webfact

LUXURIOUS CARS
Papers for 301 cars 'tied to tax scam'

Piyanut Tumnukasetchai
The Nation

30208615-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- More than two-thirds of Mercedes-Benzes and BMWs under investigation for tax evasion have failed to pass document tests.

"But we will have to conduct physical inspections before coming to a conclusion," Tarit Pengdith, director-general of the Department of Special Investigation (DSI), said yesterday.

The papers for 264 out of 338 Mercedes-Benzes and 37 out of 46 BMWs in the probe showed signs of tax dodging, he said.

The DSI has called on the owners of 558 "imported" luxury vehicles to submit their automobiles for inspection to see if the proper taxes had been collected from them.

All of them are registered as "reassembled" in Thailand - a classification that will soon be completely banned as some car importers and buyers have reportedly claimed the vehicles are reassembled in country to avoid a higher tax rate.

"The owners should voluntarily come forward this week," Tarit said. "After this, we will issue summons."

The DSI estimates that more than Bt20 billion has been lost in tax-evasion schemes for cars.

The authorities started to look into the situation more seriously after doubts arose early this month as to why no one came forward to claim six luxury cars damaged in a fire while being transported through Nakhon Ratchasima last month.

A closer look revealed at least one was linked to tax-evasion.

The DSI was now going after a prime suspect, Natee Riewthong, in the Nakhon Ratchasima case.

"We are also gathering evidence to seek arrest warrants for two luxury-car importers. Both men are well-known entrepreneurs in their field," he said.

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung has lodged a police complaint against former senator Ruangkrai Leekitwattana and several newspapers for claiming he possessed a Rolls-Royce, for which proper tax may not have been paid.

"I will also sue Ruangkrai for Bt50 million. The allegation against me is completely groundless," he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-19

"I will also sue Ruangkrai for Bt50 million. The allegation against me is completely groundless," he said.

That should just about cover the tax owed whistling.gif

Yup. The 'lady' doth protest too much. Just show the papers. Done.

Chalerm is acting like a spoiled bcith.

• Like 1

The import duty on luxury cars is over 200%. If you set tax as high as that you're just asking for trouble. Protecting the local car manufacturers is all very well, but if imports of used Japanese cars were allowed it would bring down the price of second hand cars here.

The high import duty also makes for a very boring selection of cars on the road here.

• Like 2

They want to take a tour around Nong Khor Reservoir, Sri Racha sometimes. They will find tons of BMW's, Humbers, Lamborgini's, Maserati's etc., all with their nice new red plates on. You name it, they got it! They even race them down the aircraft runway in the evenings sometimes.

• Like 1

I wasn't aware the prices of ear medicine increased that much...

They want to take a tour around Nong Khor Reservoir, Sri Racha sometimes. They will find tons of BMW's, Humbers, Lamborgini's, Maserati's etc., all with their nice new red plates on. You name it, they got it! They even race them down the aircraft runway in the evenings sometimes.

Humbersblink.png Super Snipe's ? nothing lowly like a Hawk i hopelaugh.png

• Like 2

Yup. The 'lady' doth protest too much. Just show the papers. Done.

Chalerm is acting like a spoiled bcith.

He is. Just when I think he can't look like more of an idiot, literally every day finds him pushing the boundaries of just what an idiot is capable of. I can't believe this man is even still alive with all of the problems he has caused.

• Like 1

Thai misunderstanding-

It doesn't matter how we Falang think things should be or how they should change.

We can not accept how the Thais do things here because we think so ''differently''!

This joke for me high lights how we interpret things so differently.

So I'm sure to avoid any loss of face things will get amicably sorted out the Thai way.

And why not?

T.I. ( after all) T!

The Thai mother-in-law walks into her daughter's new house in the village (funded by the son-in-law of course) and finds her farang son-in-law furious and packing his suitcase.

"What happen?" she asked.

Farang: "What happened? - I'll tell you what happened!

I sent an e-mail to Kung saying that I was coming home from England today. I got here and guess what I found?.......

My wife, yes your daughter, in our bed with a Thai guy!

This is the end of our marriage and I am leaving Thailand forever!"

"Relax, relax!" says mother-in-law, "Mistake, sure! Something not right about this story.

Kung never do something so stupid! Wait... I check to see what really happen."

Moments later she comes back with a big smile.

"See, I tell you there must be simple explanation.......

Kung not get your email !!"

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 2

"But we will have to conduct physical inspections before coming to a conclusion," Tarit Pengdith, director-general of the Department of Special Investigation (DSI), said yesterday.

The papers for 264 out of 338 Mercedes-Benzes and 37 out of 46 BMWs in the probe showed signs of tax dodging, he said.

Means in other words, the so called evidence papers can be forged in advance, and make it look like the DSI really cares, insulting the public as if they were born yesterday...

Humbersblink.png Super Snipe's ? nothing lowly like a Hawk i hopelaugh.png

The Snipe was a better car than the Super Snipe, while my modern favorite is the Pullman. Why would these Humbers have red plates ? None have been manufactured for 45 years - or do vintage luxury cars get the same tax treatment as new luxury cars ?

still wonder how it is that in one sentence (other reports) the Pink car driver claims tax is paid and he bought the car for XX and then in next sentence says it belongs to someone else? these inconsistencies are just overwhelmingly creating suspicion that something isn't completely kosher... or is it just me, am I being too hard on the pink car dude? facepalm.gif

• Like 1

Means in other words, the so called evidence papers can be forged in advance, and make it look like the DSI really cares, insulting the public as if they were born yesterday...

That is de rigeur. Everybody pretends the problem has been solved. Face has been saved.

That is de rigeur. Everybody pretends the problem has been solved. Face has been saved.

What else do you expect???

It does strike me as strange the silence from the political groups who have been slinging mud and doubts toward their opponents for so many months and so many failings, on this matter. You think there might be more involvedment in physical numbers of people of position than the DSI is releasing?

Edited by slapout

There are 4,000+ grey market Mercedes sold annually, as I understand, in Thailand (around 50% of the Benzes are grey). Many of these have questionable approaches to tax.

THe problem is not a few hundred, it is at least 1os of thousands of cars....and even more if you include 2nd hand Japanese imports of Nissan Cubes and the like.

However....this is a shake down, not a clampdown. So in that case....there are only a few hundred worth caring about. No one wants to investigate with the trail ending up at someone who knows their boss.

And most of the grey market importers have some very senior connections, remember this business has flourished since the early 2000s....with successive governments, TRT, PPP, Dems, BJT, PT all complicit in allowing it to do so.

I understand, that the pinky is parked among 50+ cars in the same category on a nice plot of land on Thonburi side somewhere on Petchkasem road. Would hence assume that the compensation payment filed for groundless allegations covers not even the yearly maintenance to keep the fleet up and .... pink! I would file for 500, or even better 5'000 million. The allegation is indeed groundless as the carozza in question is anyhow owned by a Singaporean friend of one of his lovely sons. As the latter might not be able to drive around at the moment it makes perfectly sence that Daddy looks after things; I am doing the very same giggle.gif

It does strike me as strange the silence from the political groups who have been slinging mud and doubts toward their opponents for so many months and so many failings, on this matter. You think there might be more involvedment in physical numbers of people of position than the DSI is releasing?

Most likely that's because there's plenty of guilty people in both parties.

Thai misunderstanding-

It doesn't matter how we Falang think things should be or how they should change.

We can not accept how the Thais do things here because we think so ''differently''!

This joke for me high lights how we interpret things so differently.

So I'm sure to avoid any loss of face things will get amicably sorted out the Thai way.

And why not?

T.I. ( after all) T!

The Thai mother-in-law walks into her daughter's new house in the village (funded by the son-in-law of course) and finds her farang son-in-law furious and packing his suitcase.

"What happen?" she asked.

Farang: "What happened? - I'll tell you what happened!

I sent an e-mail to Kung saying that I was coming home from England today. I got here and guess what I found?.......

My wife, yes your daughter, in our bed with a Thai guy!

This is the end of our marriage and I am leaving Thailand forever!"

"Relax, relax!" says mother-in-law, "Mistake, sure! Something not right about this story.

Kung never do something so stupid! Wait... I check to see what really happen."

Moments later she comes back with a big smile.

"See, I tell you there must be simple explanation.......

Kung not get your email !!"

A joke?

I wonder how often this has actually happened...!