PM: Corrupt officials in rice scheme will be severely punished

Lite Beer

PM: Corrupt officials in rice scheme will be severely punished
By English News

13716479997273-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, June 19 – Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra vowed to take “ultimate” legal action against those found cheating in the rice pledging scheme.

Meeting with provincial governors nationwide on Wednesday, she said the rice subsidy programme was aimed at elevating farmers’ quality of life and it could not be said if it was a losing or profitable scheme.

She instructed provincial governors to urgently explain the rice policy to the people in the wake of conflicting information perceived by the Thai public, allegations of corruption and public concern regarding the government’s overspending.

“The programme has greatly improved the country’s rice production but the government will review its budget spending to ensure strict adherence to financial discipline,” she said.

She said tough disciplinary, criminal or civil action will be taken against corrupt officials in the scheme.

Ms Yingluck said the pledging price for paddy, reduced by the National Rice Policy Committee from Bt15,000 per tonne to Bt12,000 per tonne, may be adjusted higher if the global grain prices remain unchanged.

The prime minister also urged provincial governors to explain the government’s water management projects which will cost the state Bt350 billion. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-06-19

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's nice that PM Yingluck threatens corrupt officials, but regarding the 'rice scheme' there's still a lot we don't know.

We only (seem to) 'know' that over the 2011/2012 period THB 352 billion has been spent and 136 billion lost. It is difficult to say if this is because of corruption, mismanagement, legal loopholes from which some profit, etc., etc. Insufficient data provided by the government which also seems to not know. Personally I'd prefer the government to 1. review the process, 2. improve or correct the process, 3. do an audit on the THB 352 billion, 4. punish those who acted illegally (if any found that is :-)).

What's the song - 'I had a dream'?

Just asked my girlfriend if anyone would be punished she just wiggled her head back and forth no with a big smile on her face. Thais are not fooled by all this rending of cloth

I reckon Somchia the parliamentary urinal cleaner has got a whole load of whoop arse coming his way.

• Like 1

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra vowed to take “ultimate” legal action against those found cheating in the rice pledging scheme.

She will stamp her feet while waving her arms around and screeching in a high pitch squeel, that will teach them.

The programme has greatly improved the country’s rice production

But not distribution due to the rice being above the going market rate, thereby making it all but unmarketable.

• Like 2

"She said tough disciplinary, criminal or civil action will be taken against corrupt officials in the scheme."

Bla bla bla bla.

Ms. Yingluck, when you have made sure that just one corrupt official has been punished reg the rice scam, even if it is just a single low ranking official, then I will be happy to listen to another press conference on the subject. But until then, please be quiet and stop embarrassing yourself. Thank you.

And no, transferring someone to an inactive post is not considered "tough action" by anyone!

• Like 2

She instructed provincial governors to urgently explain the rice policy to the people in the wake of conflicting information perceived by the Thai public, allegations of corruption and public concern regarding the government’s overspending.

Translation: Spin the policy in best possible way for PT [i.e. lie] and make sure that you discredit the truth that has started to pour out in recent weeks [again, lie, lie, lie]. Panic is setting in and the faithful are becoming restless.

It has improved so much it hard to believe it is all grown in Thailand.whistling.gif

It isn't, of course. A lot of it is Cambodian.

And please, everybody knows that the farmers are still being shafted. They still get peanuts for their hard work.

The millers however... What was that about supercars going to Si Sa Ket again?rolleyes.gif

Not just the millers, but the people who lease out their land to rice farmers. They have increased the rent, I can't remember the exact figure, average increase etc….. any members have more info on the stats regarding rent increases ?

It has improved so much it hard to believe it is all grown in Thailand.whistling.gif

And please, everybody knows that the farmers are still being shafted. They still get peanuts for their hard work.

The millers however... What was that about supercars going to Si Sa Ket again?rolleyes.gif

Agreed - paying over the odds does tend to increase the production of a product!

Just a couple of days ago, we could read: "Yinglucks silence is not helping the government"

Well not so sure about that anymore??whistling.gif

Better stay silent and let people think, you are an idiot, than open your mouth and remove all doubt!

• Like 2

The prime minister also urged provincial governors to explain the government’s water management projects which will cost the state Bt350 billion. (MCOT online news)

I think we've gotten to the bottom of this. Setting the public up for their next fleecing.

• Like 1

Ms Yingluck said the pledging price for paddy, reduced by the National Rice Policy Committee from Bt15,000 per tonne to Bt12,000 per tonne, may be adjusted higher if the global grain prices remain unchanged.

Does that mean that they are expecting the prices to drop more?

Well I guess that proves what a lot of people already suspected.... Yingluck really does just repeat parrot fashion what BB tells her to, just like all those years of rote learning at school.

Just what did you expect of her she didn't have a pad in school.

I really had to laugh at this line

"She instructed provincial governors to urgently explain the rice policy to the people in the wake of conflicting information perceived by the Thai public"clap2.gif

Why not have the rice farmers testify to all the wonderful good it has done them.whistling.gif

• Like 2

Not just the millers, but the people who lease out their land to rice farmers. They have increased the rent, I can't remember the exact figure, average increase etc….. any members have more info on the stats regarding rent increases ?

Why don't we hear the results from a small rice farmer who has to watch his satongs just to survive. How much better off is he. For sure keep his identity a secret until the moment he makes his statement. No time for skype phone calls.

Translation: Spin the policy in best possible way for PT [i.e. lie] and make sure that you discredit the truth that has started to pour out in recent weeks [again, lie, lie, lie]. Panic is setting in and the faithful are becoming restless.

What I find appalling with that statement is that she is asking the provincial governors to do her job, both as PM and as chairman of the rice scam. .

Edited by Roadman

"She instructed provincial governors to urgently explain the rice policy to the people in the wake of conflicting information perceived by the Thai public, allegations of corruption and public concern regarding the government’s overspending."

In the meantime, can those of us who can actually add numbers together without having anyone explain them, such as Moody's, please have all the raw data regarding the rice scheme (and any other scheme) published? There can only be one reason why all public financial data is not published in it's raw form, and that is if those in charge of it has something to hide!

• Like 1

It's nice that PM Yingluck threatens corrupt officials, but regarding the 'rice scheme' there's still a lot we don't know.

We only (seem to) 'know' that over the 2011/2012 period THB 352 billion has been spent and 136 billion lost. It is difficult to say if this is because of corruption, mismanagement, legal loopholes from which some profit, etc., etc. Insufficient data provided by the government which also seems to not know. Personally I'd prefer the government to 1. review the process, 2. improve or correct the process, 3. do an audit on the THB 352 billion, 4. punish those who acted illegally (if any found that is :-)).

Name me the country and government that runs according to logical thought? Please don't hold your breath while you think. clap2.gif ....need more coffee1.gif

Where I am struggling with all this is...

... who you believe numbers have been suggested / painted up for the 2011/12 rice scam period, and here we are half way through 2013 (which feel free to enlighten me but is the start of, or somewhere near the start of the 2013/14 year) where we have had just this week a going forward downward adjustment in the rice scam payment numbers..ummm...I must be as stupid as Yingluck cause I can not figure out that being 2 years into this current Shinawatra Amart mafia pigs at the trough scam there is somewhere between the period of 2011/2012 and the current mid 2013, another accounting year being the 2012/13 period. So next question for the incompetent puppet PM should be to ask her provincial governors (seeing she is now opting her job to them or is that cause she has equal incompetence among her Pheu Thai trough feeders) is what are the numbers for this current (?) / near to completion (?) 2012/13 rice scam year.

Edited by Roadman
  • Like 1

Its amazing what they will say when polls show that the majority of Thais believe the PTP politicians should pay back all losses from this scam rather than the tax payers.

PS: If as they claim only HB 352 billion has been spent why does the BAAC claim its owed 600 billion baht......

"Deputy Finance Minister Thanusak Lek-uthai, who also chairs the executive board at Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives (BAAC), revealed at the Cabinet's mobile meeting yesterday that the BAAC has already transferred to farmers participating in the rice-pledging scheme more than Bt600 billion, which is higher than the Bt500 billion budget set by the government for the scheme." http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Varathep-to-collate-rice-pledging-data-30208010.html

Edited by waza
  • Like 1