World bank study projects that major portions of Bangkok will be flooded by 2030

webfact

When I had my house built in Bangkok I had adjustable screws installed in the foundation piles...they have a lift height of 10 meters. So, when sea water approaches me in the year 2030 I will just jack-up my house, trade the Fortuner in for a boat, and life goes on.

Thought to self: I wonder how many people will believe this? tongue.png

Dont get me wrong but I might suggest smarter solutions to your proposal! You change your Fortuner against a boat and will be enjoying the boat jam on all those little klongs, creeks and fight against all those garbage cans swimming with or against you.

How about a grey-market smuggled submarine (Banharn Silpa-Archa is an expert after that little sting with the Swedes which regretfully did never materialise)? As this is a matter of money and the banks are flooded anyhow only those who really can afford would be submarining from Soi Nana to Soi Mermaid; Foodland would have special docking stations. This project leaves many options and possibly we can get zome German inputt on ze idea of ze special tocking haltestellen.

It is encouraging to see that most treat this article with humor. If I had the wherewithal I would be happy to purchase a chunk of land in Bangkok that will supposedly be underwater in the projected time.

Edited by techboy

Bangkok is not going to flood anytime soon.. Its a scam to try and get people to buy useless land in khorat and Isan proper. Land out there is not going to be beach front propertry. Its a dust bowl and 1 rai can be had for less than 20,000 baht. Stick to BKK and surrounding areas. No prompem !

The World Bank seem to have failed to notice the demise of western Europe with their flooding catastrophes every decade or so. To that one can observe the extent of Australia's floods that at times exceed the equivalent of the entire land area of Thailand. Then as the article notes the devastation from flooding in Pakistan, Bangladesh and India.

The amazing thing about Thailand is that she actually has a plan that seeks to stem the trauma of catastrophic flooding into the future. No other nation with catastrophic repetitive flooding has such a comprehensive plan in place. I commend the government of PM Yingluck Shinawatra for their courage and determination in bringing such a comprehensive plan into play and protect the people from the misery of flooding.

And yes of course there will be revisions to elements of the projects as detailed environmental and land ownership issues arise. Such will have to be worked around. These things have and will always arise in Thai infrastructure projects because of the fairness of Thai Law. This is not China. No Thai government will ever be allowed to sweep local populations aside in haste to make way for major projects.

As for the Statement of the World Bank please remember the ultimatum given by the WB to the Thai Rak Thai government in respect to land reform in Thailand. Agreed Thailand desperately needs Land Reform but such is hugely complex due to somewhat bizarre history of military land requisition, and native holdings that were (are) traditional land rights not necessarily recognised by the Thai. Consequently only minor effort has be give to Thai Land Reform.

Edited by Scott

Never mind. I'm sure the government can spend a couple of trillion baht to fix that.

the government as usual keeping happy face and telling everyone everything is fine. BTW the Mr. T is finding homes around the world so he'll be fine
Mr T is never far away .

The World Bank seem to have failed to notice the demise of western Europe with their flooding catastrophes every decacade or so. To that one can observe the extent of Autralia's floods that at times exceed the equivilent of the entire land area of Thailand. Then as the article notes the devastation from flooding in Parkestan. Bangladesh and India.

The amazing thing about Thailand is that she actually has a plan that seeks to stem the traulma of catrostrophic flooding into the future. No other nation with catrastrophic repetative flooding has such a copmprehensive plan in place. I commend the government of PM Yingluck shinawatra for their courage and determination in bringing such a comprehensive plan into play and protect the people from the misery of flooding.

And yes of course there will be revisions to elements of the projects as detailed environmental and land ownership issues arrise. Such will have to be worked around. These things have and will allways arise in Thai infrastructure projects because of the fairness of Thai Law. This is not China. No Thai government will ever be allowed sweep local populations aside in haste to make way for major projects.

As for the Statement of the World Bank please remember the ultimatum given by the WB to the Thai Rak Thai government in respect to land reform in Thailand. Ageed Thailand desparately needs Land Reform but such is hugely complex due to somewhat bizare history of military land requisition, and native holdings that were (are) traditional land rights not necessarity recognised by the Thai. Consequently only minor effort has be give to Thai Land Reform.

The amazing thing about Thailand is that she actually has a plan that seeks to stem the traulma of catrostrophic flooding into the future. No other nation with catrastrophic repetative flooding has such a copmprehensive plan in place. I commend the government of PM Yingluck shinawatra for their courage and determination in bringing such a comprehensive plan into play and protect the people from the misery of flooding.

The amazing thing is that some i***** think that the current government's plan is actually a plan.

My wife has a friend here in Chiang Mai who works for a real estate company. She said her friend told her a couple of weeks ago that over 50% of the houses they are now selling are NOT to people of CM, but people from BKK.

Hummmm. facepalm.gif

The World Bank seem to have failed to notice the demise of western Europe with their flooding catastrophes every decacade or so. To that one can observe the extent of Autralia's floods that at times exceed the equivilent of the entire land area of Thailand. Then as the article notes the devastation from flooding in Parkestan. Bangladesh and India.

And yes of course there will be revisions to elements of the projects as detailed environmental and land ownership issues arrise. Such will have to be worked around. These things have and will allways arise in Thai infrastructure projects because of the fairness of Thai Law. This is not China. No Thai government will ever be allowed sweep local populations aside in haste to make way for major projects.

As for the Statement of the World Bank please remember the ultimatum given by the WB to the Thai Rak Thai government in respect to land reform in Thailand. Ageed Thailand desparately needs Land Reform but such is hugely complex due to somewhat bizare history of military land requisition, and native holdings that were (are) traditional land rights not necessarity recognised by the Thai. Consequently only minor effort has be give to Thai Land Reform.

You seem to spend your time 'commending' the corrupt government here despite all evidence that their plans run the gamut from total failure to the back of a fag packet.

1. First car 'scheme' - disastrous to Bangkok, being just compensation to the car makers for flooding them out;

2. Rice subsidy scam - ill-thought-out Thaksin 'brainwave' costing hundreds of billions with no apparent benefit;

3. Flood abatement 'scheme' - half-baked wasteful mega projects with no EIAs or local acceptance;

4. High-speed train 'scheme' - not even planned nor costed & likely more wasteful than the rice losses;

5. Plodprasop's sea barrier from Samut Songkran to Samut Prakan - probably the one you refer to & at the fag packet stage.

When they implement small projects with proper EIAs & consultation, it sometimes works - but mega plans mean mega failures.