Serial Posters. No Life Outside Thai Visa ?

soi41

What??? A generous Scot?????

You called? Posted Image

Only a joke Blether, but you know how us Scots have this undeserved reputation for being mean.

It certainly is an undeserved reputation. A few years ago, a survey was carried out with the landladies in Blackpool, who voted the Scott's amongst the best spenders.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please get a life and get off the computer for a week or so , If you can't do tat go back home !!!

This coming from a poster, who joined 2 hours ago. and in that short time have managed 10 post, in 2 of those high quality posts, he tell other posters to go home!!

And the most popular word in his vocabulary seems to be fuc_king.

So please do us all a favour and get off the computer for good.

• Like 1

What??? A generous Scot?????

You called? smile.png

Only a joke Blether, but you know how us Scots have this undeserved reputation for being mean.

It certainly is an undeserved reputation. A few years ago, a survey was carried out with the landladies in Blackpool, who voted the Scott's amongst the best spenders.

The reputation came from a comedy routine done by Sir Harry Lauder, who was a superstar music hall performer of his day. He would tour the country and take the p*ss out of Aberdonians, saying that they were particularly miserly. His punch line would be " the streets were as deserted as a Flag Day in Aberdeen ".

For those that don't know Flag Days were Charitable collection days. Anyway when he played in England this punchline was often used and over the course of time the English adopted it as meaning all Scots. Thanks for that Harry. thumbsup.gif

Flag Days.......here's one from my home town in 1915, it was a Flag Day to raise money for the poor and suffering in Belgium.

968931_578351408871822_1828009999_n.jpg

My family lived in the town at that time, my Great Grandfather would have been a 15 year old boy that year. I wonder if he was there? Anyway, it's at the height of WW1, and there's hundreds of Scotsmen out parading and raising money for their compatriots over the North Sea.

Photos like this remind me of man's humanity for man, and if there's one thing I've always found about Brits, it's the poorest that are the most generous. That goes for all Brits, not just we Scots.

• Like 1

Everywhere in the world, Thais too - poor people know how much a little help can make a big difference.

Correct........

cpofc mentioned in his excellent post about serial users of other forms of social media. That photo came to me via Facebook, I get vast amounts of information from FB. Right now, ( this very minute ) I'm in conversation with an author friend of mine that has just published her 42nd book. She is obviously very excited about it. This lady sends me vast amounts of information on a weekly basis.

The amount of information I get in an instant from the net is outstanding, properly used it's an outstanding resource.

I think there is a lot of meaness in the North of Scotland, I used to work in Aberdeen sometimes which meant overnight stays, at one B and B, as well as paying for your'e bed abd breakfast, you also had to put money in the meter for the heating, I've used B and Bs all over Scotland, and in England, and that place in Aberdeen was the only time I had to pay extra in the meter.

• Like 1

Please get a life and get off the computer for a week or so , If you can't do tat go back home !!!

This coming from a poster, who joined 2 hours ago. and in that short time have managed 10 post, in 2 of those high quality posts, he tell other posters to go home!!

He'll be back. If you know what I mean.

Yep, we seem to get one a week. Sadly. sad.png

I think there is a lot of meaness in the North of Scotland, I used to work in Aberdeen sometimes which meant overnight stays, at one B and B, as well as paying for your'e bed abd breakfast, you also had to put money in the meter for the heating, I've used B and Bs all over Scotland, and in England, and that place in Aberdeen was the only time I had to pay extra in the meter.

Not quite the same as having to pay extra for Wifi in a classy hotel in Bangkok possum1931?

theblether's endorsed you so I think I'm on safe ground.

The Scotch people very mean can be. I went to cafe in Edinburgh and they gave warm knives to save us using much butter

I think that is very considerate of the staff, as frozen butter is a pain in the ass. 10 out of 10 for cafe in Edinburgh. thumbsup.gif

The Scotch people very mean can be. I went to cafe in Edinburgh and they gave warm knives to save us using much butter

I think that is very considerate of the staff, as frozen butter is a pain in the ass. 10 out of 10 for cafe in Edinburgh. thumbsup.gif

but made difficult for me toast to butter :(

Not quite the same as having to pay extra for Wifi in a classy hotel in Bangkok possum1931?

theblether's endorsed you so I think I'm on safe ground.

You are dead right Singlepot, I have long complained about hotels charging extra for wi-fi.

• Like 1

but made difficult for me toast to butter sad.png

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, your etiquette problem l think eh. whistling.gif .

no friend, my dry toast problem!! ;)

Scotch is a drink, Scots are people, hey, somebody was going to point that out sooner or later so it may as well be me!.

ah thank you friend. And I like this drink very much!! :)

What about them square sausages the Scots serve up with the breakfast, never understood that. Taste nice though because they are cooked quicker hence saving on gasthumbsup.gif

CCC

Edited by Chittychangchang

Thus far, I have seen the good people of Scotland referred to as "Scott's" and 'Scotch' - if we are going to slander an entire nationality, surely we can work out the correct spelling before doing so ? I was told many years ago by an Irish woman that it is in fact the Welsh, not the Scots, who have earned a reputation for excessive thrift. Basically, Celts will always get a bad rep from the English, but this was somewhat unexpected from an Irish person. Fortunately, my mother's side was Irish and I know them to be barking mad, relegating any such claim to the same basket as 'little people' and the healing powers of Guinness, ;)

Thus far, I have seen the good people of Scotland referred to as "Scott's" and 'Scotch' - if we are going to slander an entire nationality, surely we can work out the correct spelling before doing so ? I was told many years ago by an Irish woman that it is in fact the Welsh, not the Scots, who have earned a reputation for excessive thrift. Basically, Celts will always get a bad rep from the English, but this was somewhat unexpected from an Irish person. Fortunately, my mother's side was Irish and I know them to be barking mad, relegating any such claim to the same basket as 'little people' and the healing powers of Guinness, wink.png

Scotch was my mistake. English sometimes not so good. Visited Scotland times many and love country and people. City of Glasgow very mad though

Thus far, I have seen the good people of Scotland referred to as "Scott's" and 'Scotch' - if we are going to slander an entire nationality, surely we can work out the correct spelling before doing so ? I was told many years ago by an Irish woman that it is in fact the Welsh, not the Scots, who have earned a reputation for excessive thrift. Basically, Celts will always get a bad rep from the English, but this was somewhat unexpected from an Irish person. Fortunately, my mother's side was Irish and I know them to be barking mad, relegating any such claim to the same basket as 'little people' and the healing powers of Guinness, wink.png

It's not difficult, Scottish people are refered to as Scots which is an abreviation of Scotland, in the same way that the term Brits refers to people who come from Britain, Wellies are from Wales and Paddies come from Ireland. Clear now? biggrin.png

Thus far, I have seen the good people of Scotland referred to as "Scott's" and 'Scotch' - if we are going to slander an entire nationality, surely we can work out the correct spelling before doing so ? I was told many years ago by an Irish woman that it is in fact the Welsh, not the Scots, who have earned a reputation for excessive thrift. Basically, Celts will always get a bad rep from the English, but this was somewhat unexpected from an Irish person. Fortunately, my mother's side was Irish and I know them to be barking mad, relegating any such claim to the same basket as 'little people' and the healing powers of Guinness, ;)

6 pints of the dark liquid and my hangover sickness is amazingly cured.

Agreed the Welsh are just as tight as the Scots and ...Yorkshire. Not forgeting the penny pinchers in their big houses all over.

CCC

Edited by Chittychangchang

CerealPosted Image posters are the pit traders of internet forums -- they keep the threads moving. 

So you're saying that cereal posters are the bran of the forum that keeps us all moving?

Gee.....I thought this fishbowl was just a con.