AA Battery Corrosion

MrBrad

This is not about automobile battery corrosion, but rather the other batteries, e.g., AA and AAA. I've found that flashlights (torches) and other items that require small batteries develop corrosion at a much faster pace here in the tropics than was the case in, say, North America.

I've cleaned terminals and other areas with a light acid like vinegar or lemon juice, but that doesn't seem to last very long. Buying new batteries--good quality, name-brand batteries at that--easily enough corrects the defective battery, but the terminals or contacts in the device are not easy to replace.

I can't be the only one who has experienced this. Might there be a conductive grease of some sort, and if so, where could it be bought? Has anyone found a remedy for this problem?

Thanks for your help.

Heat and moisture will do that.

For long-term storage, keep the batteries separate.

Ones you use regularly, use rechargeable batteries (lithium or NiMH), save money in the long run too.

Edited by boosta

Every poster is correct. It is all factors together ganging up on us:

High temp., high humidity, Sodium+Iodine near the sea, Low quality from start, Batteries you have kept long, Old batteries you have bought in the shop, Rust in bat. terminals, Rust in contacts of your device, Dif. materials in contacts = electrolysis, and often ghosts which switch them on when you obviously switched them off.

Jelly advice is good, but it solves only the rust problem. Oh, and always replace them all simultaneously. smile.png

Remember, in N. America temps and humidity are much lower on average compared to tropics.

And maybe, just maybe they sell you Farang batteries at Farang price?tongue.png

Edited by ABCer

Heat and moisture will do that.

For long-term storage, keep the batteries separate.

Ones you use regularly, use rechargeable batteries (lithium or NiMH), save money in the long run too.

i have 4 AAA and 4 AA rechargable batteries. Had them for the last 15 monts (bought in the U.K.) and they are still in great condition.

AA's used in the camera - no corrosion

AAA's used i8n the wi-fi headphones and transmitter - no corrosion.

Maybe better quality? Or simply the fact they are rechargable.

Yes, most types of rechargeable batteries don't have this problem at all, which is why I recommended that, but only makes sense for devices you use regularly. If you're keeping torches in storage for emergencies, or a clock that only needs swapping once a year, much too expensive for that.

Yes, most types of rechargeable batteries don't have this problem at all, which is why I recommended that, but only makes sense for devices you use regularly. If you're keeping torches in storage for emergencies, or a clock that only needs swapping once a year, much too expensive for that.

Agreed, but regarding the torches, they are abt 99 Baht with rechargable batteries built in and once fully charged seem to keep that charge for months. Handy to have one stored in the car if driving at night. Something worth remembering :)

The rechargeable lights are great for those you use at least occasionally, but "months" isn't long enough for flashlights you want to just stick in a corner for emergencies, unless you can organize yourself to recharge them on a schedule.

A ziplock back with a handful of proper alkaline batteries stored with an empty torch will stand by ready for action for years.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Can anyone, (or everyone), please recommend a battery (AA, AAA) and charger combination that has worked well for you. So far I am only able to locate NiMH models, not Lithium; although the latter I read are supposedly superior. But even at that I understand that it is easy to buy an ineffective NiMH charger when you think that you are buying an effective design. So brands and model numbers would be really helpful.

And just as helpful, if you can please remember the brands and models that you have already thrown out because they weren't effective....sad.png

Thank you very much for any insights.

mate, I use copper tops(duracell) batteries and have no problems at all, if they are not being used all the time I just release the locked pressure on them, the ones in my torch jave been in it for araound 2 years ans still going strong, just close it up when I want to use it. Problems occur in the cheapies, if you use quality ones they do well, the cheapies leak after a period of time and can cause major problems, you can also just open up the battery area and spin the batteries to keep the terminals good and see how they are doing.

Can anyone, (or everyone), please recommend a battery (AA, AAA) and charger combination that has worked well for you. So far I am only able to locate NiMH models, not Lithium; although the latter I read are supposedly superior. But even at that I understand that it is easy to buy an ineffective NiMH charger when you think that you are buying an effective design. So brands and model numbers would be really helpful.

And just as helpful, if you can please remember the brands and models that you have already thrown out because they weren't effective....sad.png

Thank you very much for any insights.

For the charger, one of the best options is the Sanyo MQR06

http://www.eneloop.info/eneloop-products/chargers.html

Probably about 1,500+ b with a couple of batteries included.

Or for only 550 baht or so, the Sony BCG-34 - slower than the above, but excellent value.

http://www.sony.co.th/product/bcg-34hld2kn?site=hp_en_TH_i

Both of these have individual channel charging with delta V cut off etc. Many of the other available chargers will have issues such as not being able to charge 1 or 3 batteries, no delta V cut off etc.

I would rank batteries:

Eneloop

Panasonic/Sony etc.

GP

Thank you for your replies, mates.

Seajae: Interesting response. I am hesitant to reply that it was Duracell Copper Tops that ruined my GPS and a portable CD player. I was able to salvage other equipments, but not without quite a bit of effort. Clearly I am either doing something wrong, or else I bought a bad batch of batteries. Anyway, this was the original reason for my seeking a presumably safer rechargeable battery solution. (If you, or anyone, has experienced corrosion problems with rechargeables, please tell me.)

Taotoo: Today I went looking for your recommended chargers. Regrettably, the selection available where I live is pretty humble. The only one available is "Energizer". Can you, or anyone, please recommend a source of either of these charges in Bangkok that might be willing to ship to me up country? If possible, a web page would be very helpful.

Thank you very much,

~~z

I use rechargeables all the time but there aren't that many readily available chargers, even in Singapore. Maybe in Hong Kong/China there are a zillion brands but in Thailand the ones I see are Energizer, UNiROSS and GP. UNiROSS and GP I have seen in Tesco before but I don't know if they still stock them. I usually get mine from NPE in Rangsit. NPE sell a range of battery brands but only a few chargers. I have 4 different UNiROSS chargers but only ever saw 2 in NPE, the other two I got from Singapore where they sometimes have a stand at the big IT shows there.

http://www.gpbatteries.com/

Seajae: Interesting response. I am hesitant to reply that it was Duracell Copper Tops that ruined my GPS and a portable CD player. I was able to salvage other equipments, but not without quite a bit of effort. Clearly I am either doing something wrong, or else I bought a bad batch of batteries. Anyway, this was the original reason for my seeking a presumably safer rechargeable battery solution. (If you, or anyone, has experienced corrosion problems with rechargeables, please tell me.)

Taotoo: Today I went looking for your recommended chargers. Regrettably, the selection available where I live is pretty humble. The only one available is "Energizer". Can you, or anyone, please recommend a source of either of these charges in Bangkok that might be willing to ship to me up country? If possible, a web page would be very helpful.

Thank you very much,

~~z

mate, try ebay, there are some great chargers on there but they are not cheap. Also you can get batteries that hold charge for much longer than normal ones, I got Medion and they are brilliant. The charger put out by the same mob that sells Medion was good to, it actually reconditions the batteries and removes any left over charge before recharging to keep them going for years.

Thank you very much,

~~z

Here's the Sanyo - can't vouch for the shop though...

http://www.syntex.co.th/index.php?lay=show&ac=cat_show_pro_detail&pid=580617

Some of those Energizers can only charge 2/4 batteries at a time, even the expensive ones.

I also vote for Sanyo Eneloop batteries. The best I've used by far.

My favorite charger is the LaCrosse Technology BC-9009. It looks like the new version is called BC1000.

A cheaper option is the BC-700. It comes without batteries. The other two models include some OK batteries.

Edited by Issanman

I use rechargeable batteries, but also take the batteries out when I am not using my camera, etc, never had a problem. I just put them in use the item after using take out the batteries and store them until I need them again!

Cheers