Myanmar Tourism Showcase

Jasun

The images may be beautiful, but what they show is pretty horrific.

(1) Temples in Bagan which are basically Disneyfied temples - fantasy reassemblies of stone blocks without any recourse to historical accuracy.

(2) Kyaiktiyo, where for a pittance you can be carried up the hill by poor peasants.

(3) Dancers putting on a "cultural performance" for tourists.

(4) Shwedagon paya with its discriminatory pricing for foreigners; the country's far worse than Thailand in this respect.

(5) Was the next scene from Mrauk-U? Centre of discrimination against the Rohingya (one child per family if you're Muslim - unlimited if you're Buddhist) and violent assaults between Buddhists and Muslims.

(6) Child monks who've been put into monasteries by parents who can't afford to feed them because of the country's failed economic policies.

(7) Long-neck Karen kept in virtual slavery as a "tourist attraction".

(8) Lacquer workers, most of whom will suffer eyesight problems and be unable to work later in life.

(9) Weavers using outdated and economically inefficient hand looms who will probably develop RSI over the years.

(10) Masons working without any eye protection and breathing in dust which will almost certainly give rise to chronic lung disease later in life.

(11) Diners at a fancy restaurant overlooking (I think) U-Bein bridge, reminding us of the vast chasm of social inequality in the country.

Is this really how Burma wants to brand itself?

Is this really how Burma wants to brand itself?

It's called marketing...

The country want to attract more mid-high income level tourists. So the video shows want they want to see : Exotic religion, historical sites they can climb, crafted goods to bring back home, quiet and peaceful people, quality time with beautiful sightseeing.

I'm not saying it's good or bad, i'm really curious to hear what kind of video you will do to advertise this country that you seem to know very well (which is not my case).

• 2 months later...