Thai FM Surapong eyes Hom Mali rice sale to Philippines

webfact

RICE
Surapong eyes Hom Mali rice sale to Philippines

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul proposed a direct trade of Thailand's Hom Mali rice with traders in the Philippines.

At the Fifth Joint Commission on Bilateral Cooperation (JCBC) in Manila, held for the first time after a 6-year hiatus, he said that this would help Thailand expand the market for the top-quality Thai rice.

He expects that Thailand will quote about Bt45 per kg for the rice, against the quotation of Bt60 from Vietnam.

Aside from the rice issue, both parties discussed a possible joint disaster study, insurgence in Thailand’s deep South and disputes in the South China Sea.

Thailand and the Philippines also signed three bilateral cooperation pacts: (1) double taxation, (2) the energy dialogue creation, and (3) memorandum of understanding for the cooperation between the Thai-Philippine business council and the Philippine-Thai business council.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-21

Does Vietnam really win bids, quoting B60k/US$1,935 per-tonne, that seems just a trifle above world-prices ?

As does FM-Surapong's proposal of US$1451 per-tonne.

I thought the current price (admittedly for ordinary rice, not Hom Mali) was nearer US$ 560 per-tonne ? whistling.gif

Does Vietnam really win bids, quoting B60k/US$1,935 per-tonne, that seems just a trifle above world-prices ?

I thought the current price (admittedly for ordinary rice, not Hom Mali) was nearer US$ 560 per-tonne ? whistling.gif

So what the FM claims is likely BS.

It seems he is bypassing the Thai traders as well.....nice. They must be well pleased. The Government is now a rice trading company.

Edited by GentlemanJim
  • Like 2

If you are interested enough to get some facts look at these 2 links :

http://www.pinoyrkb.com/main/resources/facts-and-figures

http://books.google.com.ph/books/irri?id=stemcfAZ8UwC&printsec=frontcover&dq=&sig=ecPVDrqcBXDMFeFz79tSoCCtkiM&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

The second is a book on Rice in the Philippines and one of the interesting observations in the forward is that the Philippines Govt (which is the sole importer) keeps the price of rice there high, this is said to be a great opportunity for corruption.

If that is true then they should get on very well with the Thailand Govt

The Foreign minister is the jack in the box for interviews, as the rest of the government are celabrating birthday or licking wounds from the bashing they received over the past few days. (the exception is our Thai vs Egypt, lady kick box champ)

This man is a master at, little, white, and blantent lies, This will be another 'white elephant' type agreement which was boosted of a few weeks ago, along with the innumberable MOU's which seem to have come to little conquence, other than a dislocated shoulder from patting oneself on the back. Just another joker in the stacked/maeked deck that this group uses.

• Like 1

On the 20th of June according to Oryza we had "Thailand Hommali 92% 1065-1075" and "Vietnam Jasmine 475-485".

The "Bt45 per kg" quoted by the MoFA is 45,000 per (metric) tonne which is more than double the 20,000 the Thai government pledged. The "Bt60 from Vietnam" would be 60,000 per (metric) tonne. In US$, with 30 B = $1, we'd get Thai rice 1,500 versus Vietnamese rice 2,000.

May I suggest some reporters to check again with the MoFA?

• Like 1

I don't know where Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul gets his numbers but Vietnam is selling its fragrant rice for US$475 (14250 baht) per ton,

http://oryza.com/#

Ah but in this deal there will be two lots of corruption to deal with! It would be funny if the Phillipines have tried it on and told Surapong they are paying $1900 a ton. Nothing like robbing from robbers.

The Thai Rice Exporters Association is quoting Thai Hom Mali Rice Grade A at US$1195 per metric tonne this week.

That seems to me to work out at US1.195 per kilo, or around 35 Thai Baht.

How can this possibly equate with Surapong's 'Bt45 per kg for Thai rice, against the quotation of Bt60 from Vietnam'.

The Thai Foreign Minister's statement seems so far off the mark - if I have understood the situation correctly - that it's just risible. Tell me it ain't so, somebody!

More good news from this enterprising government. Even the FM has shrewed sales negotiating skills and has pulled off another stunning deal.

PM was right - too early to say if the rice pledge scam scheme will be profitable or loss making.

Expect the next fantastic deal will be to supply a well known Emirate at much higher prices still. Great to see all the government ministers pitching in with hard work.

thumbsup.gif

The Foreign minister is the jack in the box for interviews, as the rest of the government are celabrating birthday or licking wounds from the bashing they received over the past few days. (the exception is our Thai vs Egypt, lady kick box champ)

This man is a master at, little, white, and blantent lies, This will be another 'white elephant' type agreement which was boosted of a few weeks ago, along with the innumberable MOU's which seem to have come to little conquence, other than a dislocated shoulder from patting oneself on the back. Just another joker in the stacked/maeked deck that this group uses.

Amazing isn't it. He gets his nose stuck into everything. Isn't it a little precipitous to announce the pricing before the damn deal is done?

Edited by Thai at Heart

I suggest some TV readers put their glasses on before digging out their calculators

He said Bt45 per kg for the rice

I thought that odd too….that's roughly what it costs in the shops here, and when one talks of rice trading, surely they'd quote on a price per ton…...

I suggest some TV readers put their glasses on before digging out their calculators

So?

The Thai Rice Exporters Association is quoting Thai Hom Mali Rice Grade A at US$1195 per metric tonne this week.

Maybe you need to put your spectacles on.

I wonder if the Thai govt has considered putting its rice on Ebay. If they ever decide to use Ebay I'm sure they will only use Buy Now option at a high price...no, no, I take that back...they "might" also use the Bidding option but they'll probably set a ridiculously high reserve price.

So?

Maybe you need to put your spectacles on.

Exactly!

45 baht per kilo is 45000 baht per metric ton which is $1443 today, which is $250 higher than the market price according to Thai Rice Exporters. Are the filipino traders going to buy that???

But hang on a bit you lot.

As I posted earlier the Philippines Govt is the only ones allowed to import rice into that country.

They also set the price given to rice farmers and the price rice is sold for.

So what the Govt there pays for rice need not bear any relationship to the world price.

The main consideration would probably be how much they can scam from the deal.