Phuket Airport security staffer arrested for stealing $900 from Aussie tourist

webfact

Phuket Airport security staffer arrested for stealing $900 from Aussie tourist
Phuket Gazette

bag.jpg
Ms Uraiwan shows police the AUS$900 she stole from a tourist’s carry-on bag as it went through the x-ray machine. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- Police arrested a baggage security worker at Phuket International Airport on Thursday after the officer was found to have stolen AUS$900 from an Australian tourist’s carry-on bag while it was passing through the x-ray machine.

Tah Chat Chai Police arrested Uraiwan Yhobkhaan, 34, from Ranong, at her rented accommodation in Sakoo at about 9:30am.

“Australian tourist Andreas Paolo Clappis reported the money missing to airport security officer Montri Perphol at about 5:50am,” said Lt Col Theerawat Leamsuwan. “He said it went missing while his bag was being scanned by the x-ray machine.”

Ronnarong Joonsawek, Security Director at the airport, called in all staff who were on duty at the time the money went missing, Col Theerawat explained.

Ms Uraiwan failed to return to the airport, so police went to her rented room.

“She confessed to having stolen the money from the bag while it passed through the x-ray machine. She gave all the money back to Mr Clappis,” Col Theerawat said.

“Ms Uraiwan was charged with theft,” he added.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Airport-security-staffer-arrested-for-stealing-900-from-Aussie-tourist-21405.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-06-22

She is not that much different than the cop who pulls me over because he wants 200 Baht or the immigration officer who tells me that it is going to cost 1,000 Baht to change visa entension stamps to new passport.

Why would you leave money in an unattended bag?

• Like 1

She is not that much different than the cop who pulls me over because he wants 200 Baht or the immigration officer who tells me that it is going to cost 1,000 Baht to change visa entension stamps to new passport.

Why would you leave money in an unattended bag?

Since when is giving ur bag for x-ray checking the same as leaving it unattended? Nothing makes sense in your comment, probably had one or two drinks too many

she is she radioactive now?

how could she fetch while it passed a dangerous machine ?

or do they have her in the machine (that is really not working) and sniffing the bags for valuables?

When ever I go through the metal detector and carry-on through the X-ray, if something beeps they make you go forward and stand on a box or taped area on the floor facing away from the X-ray machine so you cant see whats happening as the carry-on comes out the X-ray machine. I always turn my head and keep an eye on my stuff coming out of the X-ray to watch that my carry-on stuff doesn't get picked up by another passenger or security staff. Once I had to argue with an official because he wanted me to face the other way (away from the X-ray machine).

Edited by RBOP

Yes anyway, why would you separate yourself from your cash? EVER. However it is 

one place you would think it would be safe. How, she did it is amazing, must have been practicing for months.

I seperate myself from my cash every time I buy someyhing, good enough?

The cynics are all on holiday.

I was expecting to see a comment along the lines that she was only caught because the money wasn't spread among the "team" according to standard practice.

Keeping it all to yourself is really not playing the game.

Whoops! There, I've said it.

• Like 1

“She confessed to having stolen the money from the bag while it passed through the x-ray machine.

She gave all the money back to Mr Clappis,” Col Theerawat said.

Wow, first time I hear any thai give stolen money back to falang.

Do that mean she can continue work as a security officer at the airport again?

• Like 1

of course she returned the money let us hope she get back to her job back let us forgive for the first mistake ,let us hope she will change and give a chance to be good , do not be offended by my post 1st mistake should be forgiven let repent what she has done only 1 chance if she does next time punish her ,

“She confessed to having stolen the money from the bag while it passed through the x-ray machine.

I was stupid enough to put a $20 & a $10 Gold Piece from the 1800's into my luggage on my way here. In LA my luggage was 2 hours late as it was sent on a different flight by TSA. When is arrived, ALL of my luggage had been gone through by TSA, and then permanently sealed, with notes inside saying that TSA has inspected everything. Of course, the gold coins were gone, worth about $3000. I sent an email to TSA and they said I shouldn't put valuables in my suitcase. (Might as well said "because our employees will steal it"). I hate being chastised by the crook. Everything in my luggage is valuable to me, and I should be able to trust my countries own security people for God' sake. Since they opened it and sealed it, who else could have gotten inside?

Phuket police say the online video clip of an attack on a Russian man greatly tarnishes the province's image, and the attack itself was perpetrated by one man and did not reflect the action of Phuket people as a whole.

Phuket police say the media reporting of the theft greatly tarnishes the province's image, and the theft itself was perpetrated by one woman and did not reflect the action of Phuket people as a whole.

And we have a universal police statement!

The cynics are all on holiday.

I was expecting to see a comment along the lines that she was only caught because the money wasn't spread among the "team" according to standard practice.

Keeping it all to yourself is really not playing the game.

Whoops! There, I've said it.

That was my first thought as well, she would be working with a team. When a valuable looking bag comes through, give the secret hand signal to the guy with the metal detector hand wand. It would completely distract the tourist for the necessary 30 seconds to allow her to riffle your bag.

It's amazing how naively folks handle their cash when traveling.

In this age of debit cards, the most one needs to carry when traveling is $1,000 - $1,500.

That much cash easily fits in my front pocket. No way it can be stolen while I'm still alive.

]Wallets are designed for thieves. My wallet has seen no money for over 30 years. If my

wallet is lost stolen, I suffer only the inconvenience of getting a new driver's license and

ordering replacement credit cards from my bank -- it takes about a week.

No cash lost, ever.

Just a hint.

To avoid this

Yes anyway, why would you separate yourself from your cash? EVER. However it is

one place you would think it would be safe. How, she did it is amazing, must have been practicing for months.

Training more likely. Now she can pass the learnt skills on to another. Very difficult for a traveller passing into a country to personally hold cash when submitting to the xray machine. Do you take it out of your wallet and hold (flash) it in your hand.? Do you check your bags before you take it off the belt? Good to see that the airport security acted swiftly and found the cash. How many hours of holiday were lost by Andreas Paolo Clappis to chase this up? Hope he tells all back in Au about the risks on Phuket.

of course she returned the money let us hope she get back to her job back let us forgive for the first mistake ,let us hope she will change and give a chance to be good , do not be offended by my post 1st mistake should be forgiven let repent what she has done only 1 chance if she does next time punish her ,

I would almost certainly guarantee that this is not her first mistake,just the first time she has been caught.

By the way should rapists and murderers be forgiven as well if it is the first time they have done it?Your reasoning baffles me.

the poor lass probably has issues ...and no one has stated the obvious ...............DO ANY OF U REALISE OR EVEN CARE >>>>>THAT IF THIS TOURIST WAS NOT HERE ON HOLS IT WOULD NOT OF HAPPENED >>>>OBVIOUSLY IT IS HIS FAULT think about it ..and apply logic ....she should sue for compensation ....