"No Drinking Day" to be promoted in hopes to reduce accidents and crimes: Thailand

webfact

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

December 31st? (My birthday, by the way)

Does that mean the "corrupt" compulsory dinner supplement will be dispensed with by hotels???

This has to be a joke (to any sane person). If they do anything, it needs to be turned on its head and encourage "No driving days" on the same dates suggested. Only the "professional" taxi drivers, etc. would then be ferrying people around...and we know they'd never be drunk or drugged up at the wheel...right?! ;-)

Maybe I have mis-interpreted this , but it reads to me as if the gov't are looking to have a day designated no drinking day (much like no smoking and the like elsewhere in the world) where they will promote the benefits of abstinence and look to people to at least refrain from alcohol out of their own conscience for 24 hours. National No Smoking Day is not a criminal offence so why would alcohol consumption be deemed so on this particular day. Just a thought but maybe a genuine translation of the original Thai press release might help the anti-Thai Authority bashing brigade so prevalent on TV calm their nerves

• Like 1

Maybe I have mis-interpreted this , but it reads to me as if the gov't are looking to have a day designated no drinking day (much like no smoking and the like elsewhere in the world) where they will promote the benefits of abstinence and look to people to at least refrain from alcohol out of their own conscience for 24 hours. National No Smoking Day is not a criminal offence so why would alcohol consumption be deemed so on this particular day. Just a thought but maybe a genuine translation of the original Thai press release might help the anti-Thai Authority bashing brigade so prevalent on TV calm their nerves

Was thinking along the same lines.

Because for the life of me i can't see what good forcing people not to drink for one day, regardless of when it is, would achieve apart from resentment.

If it were to be an individuals choice whether they drank or not on a given day, carry on, make it so....................wink.png

• Like 1

This cannot be real. It must be part of some sort of deflection strategy to get people's attention away from rice losses and tax avoiding Lambo drivers... The tip off is suggesting New Year's Eve as a non drinking day.

Edited by EyesWideOpen

How on earth can you have muppets like this in government....

These Ministers haven't got a clue about real life, living in their luxury homes, driving their luxury cars to their plush offices.... they are comparable to the Thai soaps, a laughing stock.cheesy.gif

How about enforcing traffic rules 365 days a year. Did that ever came up in their mind ?

Then no one would have an opportunity to make a similar statement to show they care.

Farnag can't understand Thainess wai.gif

can i suggest double standards:

1. that this only apply to Thai's

2. that hotels and pubs allow only falang to drink

3. that wine be excluded from any such ban

4. that scotch over 12 years be excluded

5. that cognac be exluded

6. that the hours for buying alcohol exclude farang

7. that drinking be banned on all beaches and car parks again Thai's only

dont laugh as its as stupid as their suggestion of a no drinking day

dont attack me as I have been drinking burp.gif, I have had an accident and at my age this is a crime sorry.gif

Can you find scotch over 12 years old here?

Why not promote better education and Information !!!

Not possible

It is not in the PTP band of thiefs best interest to have an educated public

Not that it matters, but do you believe an educated public is what ANY of the rulers of Thailand want?

Why not promote better education and Information !!!

Not possible

It is not in the PTP band of thiefs best interest to have an educated public

Not that it matters, but do you believe an educated public is what ANY of the rulers of Thailand want?

Of course the Democrats would love a better educated public (at least some of the democrats there are crooks in that party too but not on the scale as in the PTP). A better educated public would choose for a party that does what is best for the country and not rob it blind like the one that is in power now. Mainly the uneducated vote PTP its been proven.

• Like 1

The minister said it should be promoted on the day the number of accidents are high such as December 31, January 1, or during Songkran festival

Oh aye, that'll do wonders for tourism, Mr minister... at the cost of how many billions and big face loss for the country, while everyone who wants to will still be able to get pished. Do something productive like making people aware of the dangers of alcohol, sure, but stop trying to control people. Thai Public health Ministry = jerk.gif

If by "no drinking" they mean little stalls selling booze everywhere in front of the police like they do during Songkran, then I think it will be a huge success.

What is your criteria for huge success.

Mine is cut down on the alcoholism in Thailand and I fail to see where stopping people from selling alcohol for one more day a year will make a difference most of the drinkers or celebrants will work around that very easily. All your plan will do is take away a source of income from small Ma and Pa operations and give it to 7/11s and other bigger stores. The consumption of alcohol will not change.sad.png

Edited by hellodolly

How about February 30th?

I'll second that.

The ministry will, therefore, set up a specific day to promote the no drinking campaign. The minister said it should be promoted on the day the number of accidents are high such as December 31, January 1, or during Songkran festival.

Yeah, right. That'll work... NOT.

How about making the Police get off their asses and enforce the current laws on drinking, and as long as we got them working they can start enforcing traffic laws, especially the drinking and driving related laws. And none of that 100 baht to forget it crap.

As for Songlran... limit it to one day nationwide (and same day everywhere) and ban the water throwing and use of high pressure squirt guns

Jeeze, what a bunch of useless buffoons these people are.

"As for Songlran... limit it to one day nationwide (and same day everywhere) and ban the water throwing and use of high pressure squirt guns"

Have you got a name for this new holiday you are trying to create?

If by "no drinking" they mean little stalls selling booze everywhere in front of the police like they do during Songkran, then I think it will be a huge success.

What is your criteria for huge success.

Mine is cut down on the alcoholism in Thailand and I fail to see where stopping people from selling alcohol for one more day a year will make a difference most of the drinkers or celebrants will work around that very easily. All your plan will do is take away a source of income from small Ma and Pa operations and give it to 7/11s and other bigger stores. The consumption of alcohol will not change.sad.png

Agree. But you also need to take into account the days lost sales for the smaller bars & restaurants (actually big ones as well) as they are proposing this No Drinking Day for a potential 'high sales' day. I say this because I know what it is like to make up the expected revenue for days like this; half thought out ideas by people in their ivory towers that have no idea what problems they make in the real world.

That is if they indeed force outlets to close and it is not just a token day where people can wear nice little badges to say that they didn't drink. Bit like No Smoking Day...................wink.png

• Like 1