Rate Pattaya International Hospital please

prk888

I went to PIH when my left knee finally collapsed and I needed a replacement knee. The OS was not on the payroll, so I had to go see him at his day job at Samitivej SriRacha for the op.

PIH bills were reasonable until I went back there, post op, for the stitches out and some antibiotics. Stitches out done by a nurse and 15 days of meds was B6700! Insurance is paying, so not my problem, but that was an expensive ten minutes!

As a warning, Samitivej quoted my insurerB180,000 for the op and they placed a guarantee accordingly. On my release day, the bill was B390,000. The insurer paid, but that is taking the piss. There were no extras, or complications. Quality insurance is worth every penny. Disclosure Disclaimer: I sell it. ;-)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MATE BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT ANY HOSPITAL HERE AND ESPECIALLY CANCER, I had tonsil cancer in march 2011 and when to PBH and the another top one in BKK , they are not the same class and knowledge as home.I was very nearly going to have radiation and chemo here but i went Australia and got better treatment ( and complete different treatment )and i am alive after 2 years and for sure i would not have been if treated here and 2 million baht down also , i dont want to scare you but broken bones or teeth or other operation maybe no problem here , But cancer is serious and maybe only one go, i know who is smarted in medical treatment and i dont think any western doctors come to Thailand to better their knowledge,, pleas think my friend as you have horrible time to come , if you need help and questions i am here, you can be ok,,

I had a motorcycle accident in Feb 2012. I went to Bangkok Hospital Pattaya for complete shoulder reconstruction surgery. 5 incisions, 4 implants. I did my own rehab. Was fit for work in June 2012. Got a job in September and went to the 3 day Sea Survival and Helicopter escape training. Did it all. Everything was good. I have insurance so cost was not a consideration for me. I have recommended BPH several times. I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

Had surgery at BPH .....NEVER Again .

Wife & I both had minor at PIH including they even followed up to let me know that the lab found a Cyst removed from me was benign by email back to me at home.

BPH had made a mistake with an abdominal surgery on me that I had to return Twice to have it rectified.

PIH ...9 / 10

BPH .3 / 10

My experiences anyway.

I recently used them, had ambulance use. They brought Doctor and nurse too. I thought first rate. Must learn if possible, never buy meds. at hospital expensive. I have lived here long enough.

Good and bad here like anywhere, have a wonderful lady who loves me. Good luck!

when getting meds from BPH

ask for itemized bill at pharmacy before paying

once you have it

tell them to amend the bill and take off all the meds

they will ask for the itemized bill back

you will have to be firm

they will insist they have to have it

they have been told to get it back when this happens

do not give it back under any circumstances

pay the new bill without the meds on it

go to Fascino on pattaya nua

tell them you want a gold card that gives you 5% discount

show them the paper with meds on it from BPH

this will serve as your doctors prescription

if you are going to spend over 1000 baht the card is free

if not its 75 baht

get the card

process the meds order from BPH hospital bill

save 50-60 % on BPH pharmacy prices

done

another good day in paradise..

I agree here. Theres also a Fascino just outside the BPH now on Sukhumvit.

• Like 1

PRK: are you focusing only on Pattaya hospitals or would you consider hospitals in BKK, Sattahip or Chonburi?

Agree 100% - far too many people are fixated on Pattaya. Personally I think Phyathai is far better. Hint : ask for Gavin

I second that. Other alternative could be Samitivej in Sri Racha but I' sticking with Phyathai Sri Racha for the time being.

As for getting your prescriptions at Fascino, How could you check while you are still at the hospital that are there anything hospital specific that cannot be sold at a pharmacy? Like strong painkillers and such, since there are no formal prescription system in Thailand, it seems that certain strong drugs are only available in hospital's pharmacy

As for getting your prescriptions at Fascino, How could you check while you are still at the hospital that are there anything hospital specific that cannot be sold at a pharmacy? Like strong painkillers and such, since there are no formal prescription system in Thailand, it seems that certain strong drugs are only available in hospital's pharmacy

there's a fascino on the corner of the road near BPH entrance now apparently

so walk across with your original bill, see whats what there

if its not available except with full script, go back to the hospital pharmacy and tell them you have changed your mind and you want it now

if its not available except with full script, go back to the hospital pharmacy and tell them you have changed your mind and you want it now

The pharmacy at the corner is no Fascino, it has a different name.

All in all it is a good hospital - for Thailand.

I think if you have a really serious illness or injury you should think of Australia, USA, Northern Europe. Closer to home Singapore.

BPH is run, quite correctly as a profit making enterprise. No complaints there. But it has a vicious and aggressive policy of "Accounts Department Rules!"

If you have an Insurance policy you may find that they will find a need to do a Brain or cervical spine MRI - when in fact you have an upset tummy.

For those of you "trapped by a surprisingly large bill - built on imaginative accounting rather than medical reality" - call your honorary Consul. Most of them know the problem with BPH's accounts department and though it means they have to slog out there - your bill will be halved or quartered.

I went to BPH last week to get a quote for a scan on my knee and was told that it would cost 20,000 Thb.about 500 euros. I got a friend at home in Ireland to get a price for a scan in a private hospital there and it turned out to be 250 euros ,,, 1/2 price so Thailand is not the place any more.

wrong again Jbrain,

just like you were wrong over the cheaper meds

many other posters independent of me have now backed me up and said exactly the same thing as me

no mention of that or an admission of being wrong huh?

as to the Pharmacy, it is called Fascino, i passed it and looked at it late this afternoon

i will take a picture for you when i go on Wednesday

Edited by Rimmer
Inflammatory

There are two corners (one next to the driveway Entrance, and another at the driveway Exit, one has a Fascino and the other one is a pharmacy that I have never heard of but their prices are comparable with Fascino

Just a word of caution about Fascino, the main store on Pattaya Nua has a larger selection than does the satellite store next to BHP. I needed some generic lipitor and they did not have the generic there but was able to get it at the main store

• Like 2

wrong again Jbrain,

just like you were wrong over the cheaper meds

many other posters independent of me have now backed me up and said exactly the same thing as me

no mention of that or an admission of being wrong huh?

as to the Pharmacy, it is called Fascino, i passed it and looked at it late this afternoon

i will take a picture for you when i go on Wednesday

This is the pharmacy I am talking about post-163350-0-24702500-1372081872_thumb.

Does it call Fascino ? No it's called Pattaya inter pharmacy and is right at the corner of BHP as you can clearly notice the entrance to the hospital in the background.

To be honest, I have to admit that at another corner they have opened a Fascino, but it must have happened in the last few days, so I wasn't aware of it as I don't pass there every day. But that doesn't mean I'm a liar, and I also don't like to be accused of one when I report my experience.

This is a FORUM, where people SHARE their experience and where it isn't appreciated when people think they are an authority because they got a like from a moderator.

GROW UP.

My personal opinion on PIH is far from good. Me and the wife have used them 3 times over the years the last and I do mean last time was for GB stones they tried to convince me I had a fever which would require me to stay 1 week then have the operation and stay a minimum of 1 week after. Cost for the op alone was 100k without the 2 weeks of room/care but what got me was the way the doctor spoke to my wife I understand Thai enough to know he wasn't showing her any respect so I pulled the IV lines out and asked for my bill.

That was 4 years ago and strangely never had any GB problems since then.

I will try, unlike most of the posters, stay on topic. I have used PIH twice.For minor emergency surgery. Both times I found them to be professional, quick and inexpensive. If the rest of the care is as good you will be in good hands. English is good but if you have a Thai with you even better to expedite the process. Ignore the off topic pissing contests going on.

• Like 1

Bickering and inflammatory posts removed.

I do not want to have to come on here again so just leave it alone please guys and agree to differ.

Some times a little injection of entertainment and humor is just what the doctor ordered. I assume these were diagnosed as just random pains...
this was not a comment on moderation, was it?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Medication at BHP isn't overly expensive. They only use brand name drugs, which will cost exactly the same at Fascino. Been there, done that.

What people are confused with is that at Fascino in most cases you're able to get generic version of the same medication prescribed at BHP, which are remarkebly cheaper.

I can't believe that, sorry.

You don't have to believe me, you can do the test yourself.

Get the detailed bill from BHP, then go to Fascino and ask for the exact same brand name drug and compare.

As I said, been there done that.

BHP makes it outrageous charges on doctors fee's and rooms.

its clear you have not been there and done that or you would not say this

BHP doctors fee are not outrageous either

i usually pay 4-500 baht to see a consultant

700 Baht in my case (cardiologist), which i think is very fair.

• Like 1

I won't go near BPH and have found PIH to be a valid alternative to the high pressure selling techniques employed by BPH. But your treatment regimen is going to be dictated by your Oncologist so unfortunately you will be stuck with whichever hospital they are located at

At Pattaya International I had an operation for the removal of some metal braces from an old leg injury and they were excellent on all accounts (even the insurance reimbursements) and I also went through a bout of Deep Vein Thrombosis and my US doctor later on commented that the Thai hospital did everything that she would have done so her follow up care was minimal

I would have a frank discussion with both BPH and PIH regarding how much your treatment is going to cost. As much as I hate to admit it, the traffic in central Pattaya would impact my choice today, especially with the construction on Beach Road, and seeing that you will have to travel to the hospital often for your treatment, you might want to take that into account when making a decision

I went around and asked as many people as I could who they had coverage with and how was the care. The last few recomendations by independent nurses closed the dear for me. I had the most favorable responses with P. International Hospital, including the nurses. I have been a patient with them since 2010 and I think you get the best care for the money there. I have had many things from broken fingers, motorcycle accidents, in need of therapy for back strains and out-patient surgery.

I and many others say go with Pattaya International Hospital

I find its all hit and miss regards medical care in Thailand with the potential for outrageous billing awaiting,it depends which way the wind is blowing I guess on a particular day.

Plane ride to India ,3 hours away, utterly superb medical car,at a fraction of Thailand's and a recent return fare of £60 return into Calcutta. The list of first class hospitals was sooo impressive. I go there for whatever medical problems I encounter

• Like 1

When I need a prescription at BHP (which I think is the best hospital in the area), I ask the doctor to give me only a few to get started. Then I go to Fascino and get the rest at a much cheaper price.

This way I don't have to get into a big argument with the cashier about taking off the meds but letting me keep the bill. Plus I have time to return to the hospital if Fascino does not carry the drug. Most doctors at BHP are sympathetic to their high cost of meds and will let you know if you are likely to get the drug at Fascino.

• Like 2

I find its all hit and miss regards medical care in Thailand with the potential for outrageous billing awaiting,it depends which way the wind is blowing I guess on a particular day.

Plane ride to India ,3 hours away, utterly superb medical car,at a fraction of Thailand's and a recent return fare of £60 return into Calcutta. The list of first class hospitals was sooo impressive. I go there for whatever medical problems I encounter

Interesting. So the quality is good you say. How much cheaper than a good private hospital in Thailand? Is there double pricing?

When I need a prescription at BHP (which I think is the best hospital in the area), I ask the doctor to give me only a few to get started. Then I go to Fascino and get the rest at a much cheaper price.

This way I don't have to get into a big argument with the cashier about taking off the meds but letting me keep the bill. Plus I have time to return to the hospital if Fascino does not carry the drug. Most doctors at BHP are sympathetic to their high cost of meds and will let you know if you are likely to get the drug at Fascino.

i can confirm that!

years of experience PIH and BPH is like having frequent flyer experience:

PIH = business class

BPH = first class

you get from point A to point B, same flying time, sitting in any (even cattle) class. the difference is how comfortable you sit and how much you pay.

• Like 1

i can confirm that!

thanks Naam,