From tourist visa to yearly extension (retirement)

Friend is coming to live here permanently in 10 weeks' time. UK passport holder. He is 50.

He intends to arrive on a (double-entry) tourist visa which he has already got. He has now heard about the retirement extension and has changed his mind.

He is planning to send 800,000 Baht ahead to "season" it for 2 months. He already has Thai bank a/c.

My question is what is the procedure and timeline for this.

e.g Day 1 arrive in Thailand on tourist visa. Get 60 days permission to stay.

Day 3 Go to immigration and convert tourist visa to 'O' visa.

Day 4 Go to bank and get letter (money is now seasoned).

Day 5 Go back to immigration office and apply for one year extension based on retirement.

Is this possible? If not, what should his timetable look like.

Thanks for your help.

I don't know if immigration will do the change from tourist visa to non-O with almost 60 days still left of the permission to stay but I see no reason why they should not. Bring the bank book along for the application to show that the 800k are already there.

Some time ago some immigration offices did the retirement extension during the same visit as the visa change but I have not seen this being reported recently. Withe the change of visa your friend will receive a new permission to stay for 90 days and will then apply for the retirement extension during the last 30 days with the bank letter and copy of the savings account book.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As Maestro said they most likely will not do the conversion so early. Why waste the time that he has on his initial entry, the conversion is not an extension and any time that he has left on the entry will be lost.

1. He should wait until he has about 20 days left on his permission to stay to do the conversion. Most rural offices will not do the conversion and will she him to Bangkok. He will get 90 days permission to stay.

2. During the last 30 days apply for tthe 1 year extension. The extension must be done at the office that is responsible for the area where he is living. Most offices will not do the extension earlier than that.

3. At the same time he does the extension he should purchase least a single entry re-entry pernit to cover emergencies.

4. Costs: Conversion - 2000 baht; Extension - 1900 baht; Re-entry permit - single, 1000 baht, multiple - 3800 baht.

Note: There have been reported exceptions to the above. Jomtien has done extensions with 60 days left. Some offices have done both the conversion and extension in one visit, but these are not the normal procedures. It doesn't hurt to ask though, you never know.

First he goes to the bank for bankbook update and bank leter, than he can convert his visa to a non-O. For the conversion the money does not have to be seasoned.

He goes back to immigration 60 days after the conversion to get a 1 year extension of stay. Now the money needs to be seasoned and again a new bank letter and updated bank book are required.

Conversion is 2,000 baht, the same as getting a single non-O in his home country. He could just have his tourist visa cancelled and get a non-O.

Latest first hand report (went along with a friend to help him out) in Jomtien was:

- About 35 days left on tourist visa entry

- Money was seasoned.

- Paid 2,000 Baht, got non-O stamp with 90 days counting from that day

- Paid 1,900 Baht for extension, extension started running for 12 months starting from the last day his new non-O stamp allowed him to stay.

So in effect he got 15 months of stay right on the spot.

Not sure if it is regular procedure, but that is what he got confirmed by myself looking over...

I actually went along because he used to use the little agencies in Soi 5, paying them 25,000 Baht (+immigration fees) for a 15 month extension, as they obviously let it know that only they, through their connections, could arrange such a long extension :) :).

Your friend should consider getting a single entry non-o (cancel tourist visa) before departing the UK. It would save a trip to immigration and make the whole process a lot easier.

He would have to get it from one of the honorary consulates (Hull is one) because the embassy will not issue them.

Edited by ubonjoe

Your friend should consider getting a single entry non-o (cancel tourist visa) before departing the UK. It would save a trip to immigration and make the whole process a lot easier.

He would have to get it from one of the honorary consulates (Hull is one) because the embassy will not issue them.

To be honest, I'm not so sure.

Up till now we only had reports that the tourist (or even visa exempt) conversion to non-O based on retirement is an easy and smooth process.

Can be handled at any immigration office.

And the total cost of a non immigrant O at a consulate will be at least as expensive as the conversion @ 2000 Baht.

Might be useful though if you're out in the boonies and a trip to immigration is a pain in the behind.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Two times getting the bank letter or income letter would be the biggest drawback for the conversion.

True, letter is indeed needed for both conversion and the actual extension.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Personal experience !

Last November I had to leave urgently and unexpectedly -- and no re-entry permit! (flew Phuket- Perth Aus.)

On return received a 30 day visa exempt entry.

2 days later visited the immigration guys.

About half an hour later had an "O" visa conversion of my visa exempt entry AND my retirement extension reinstated ----total cost 3900bht.

Before you ask ----yes, I do also now have an "emergency" re-entry permit in my passport ! (1000bht)

• Like 1

Despite being British, my friend has no financial footprint in the UK and thus he may not be able to obtain an 'O' visa in the UK but would have no problem getting a tourist visa.

And as I said earlier, he has indeed already obtained a tourist visa.

Thanks again for the all the helpful replies.

If you have provable income of over 65,000 THB a month and a letter notorized by your embassy you do not need 800,000 in the bank. In my case Social Security and Military retirement are much over that amoint. If you have a Thai wife you will have a hard time having 800,000 in the bank. Ha Ha !!

Edited by lopburi3
fix font

Despite being British, my friend has no financial footprint in the UK and thus he may not be able to obtain an 'O' visa in the UK but would have no problem getting a tourist visa.

No financial proof to get a single entry O visa.

Personal experience !

Last November I had to leave urgently and unexpectedly -- and no re-entry permit! (flew Phuket- Perth Aus.)

On return received a 30 day visa exempt entry.

2 days later visited the immigration guys.

About half an hour later had an "O" visa conversion of my visa exempt entry AND my retirement extension reinstated ----total cost 3900bht.

Before you ask ----yes, I do also now have an "emergency" re-entry permit in my passport ! (1000bht)

That was basically how my first visa extension went.

Arrived Thailand on a tourist (airport) visa.

I'm fairly certain that there had to be greater than 14 days left on the visa so the next steps could be done.

Converted tourist to non-imm O - this gave me 90 days.

On same day got non-imm O extended for 12 months due to retirement.

Cost was (from memory) 3900 baht

I used an income Stat Dec not a "seasoned" bank account

Then got a multi entry that good until the expiry date of retirement extension (which is not a retirement visa)

This was all done in 2011 - and I walked out of Jomtien Immigration with 15 1/2 months ---

I'm pretty sure I have terms right but of course stand and no doubt will be corrected

No financial proof to get a single entry O visa.

Ahh, really, ubonjoe, is that the case? In that case, maybe he can pick up a different visa from Hull and shorten the process.

From Hull website.

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/downloads-and-visas.aspx

6) Visiting Thailand as Retired Person aged between 50 and 64 years

Evidence required:

a) Copy of Bank Statement showing income of minimum £1200 per month or lumpsum of minimum £20,000

Either a single or multiple entry visa can be granted in these circumstances.

From Hull website.

Evidence required:

a) Copy of Bank Statement showing income of minimum £1200 per month or lumpsum of minimum £20,000

If over 65 years, only a statement of pension is required! No minimum pension or lumpsum required then.

At the Thai consulate in Antwerp, Belgium, they accept the pension paperwork starting from 50 years of age without minimum or lumpsum.

Additionally, in Belgium, if traveling without a return ticket, they will require you to take at least a double entry visa. They will not issue a single entry unless you have a confirmed return flight within 90 days (they do take the 30 day extension in consideration).

Go Jomtien with your visa and your bankletter and do everyting in one time take less than 1 hour

1. Not related to me.

2. Friend will not stay in Pattaya.

3. Money not seasoned, not yet even in Thailand.

4. Friend not yet even in Thailand.

Please read the thread and stay relevant to it. TY.

I have seen on the Thai embassy website in France the retirement visa for one year can be issued in France, for the first year the 800.000 Baht could be in a French OR Thai bank, I suppose there is no special agreement between France and Thailand so should works also from many countries. I gave a phone call to the embassy and will apply next week, I need 3 copies of: police record, passport, 20.000€ on my credit, medical certificate, place of residence in France... So I hope to arrive in Thailand with my one year retirement visa in July.

From Hull website.

Evidence required:

I think if somebody was to talk to Hull they would find out that is only for multiple entry O visas.

If they were to insist on it then talk to one of the other honorary consulates.

I have seen on the Thai embassy website in France the retirement visa for one year can be issued in France, for the first year the 800.000 Baht could be in a French OR Thai bank, I suppose there is no special agreement between France and Thailand so should works also from many countries. I gave a phone call to the embassy and will apply next week, I need 3 copies of: police record, passport, 20.000€ on my credit, medical certificate, place of residence in France... So I hope to arrive in Thailand with my one year retirement visa in July.

That is for a non immigrant OA visa often called a long stay visa on embassy websites.

It will probably be a multiple entry visa that gives you the ability stay for almost 2 years by leaving and re-entering the country just before the visa expires giving another one year entry.

Here in Chiang Mai, they won't do give 15+ months visa extension in one appointment. Instead, they want you to convert to a 90-day O visa and then return during the final 30 days of that visa to obtain a 1-year extension due to retirement. Each step requires a fresh letter from either the Thai bank and/or the consulate. You'd think they'd welcome the opportunity to reduce their workload, but no!

It would help if the OP told us where he planned to live. Unfortunately, local practices do differ.

• Like 1

i will probably retire in 2 years time in thailand so the posts on here are very informative .It is much cheaper to do everything yourself than pay an agent.

absolutely - and you'll probably find with an agent u do most if not all the grunt work