Best burger I have found in BKK

Lonewolf77

Mosburger looks scary - is it OK?

Or am I getting confused with that chain that sells mostly pork burgers.. confused I think.

Mosburger serves good burgers. They're a little small as Sure says, but nothing to fear. Decent fries, too.

• Like 1

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mosburger looks scary - is it OK?

Or am I getting confused with that chain that sells mostly pork burgers.. confused I think.

Mosburger serves good burgers. They're a little small as Sure says, but nothing to fear. Decent fries, too.

The burgers here are in the same catagory as McDonslds.

Nothing special.

Junk food.

Firehouse on soi 11 used to be my favourite; but the last couple of times I have been it has not been as good. Can't put my finger on why, it just seems to have slipped a bit. Still a very good burger but not that wrapped in it anymore.

BKK burger company is ok; however the El Diablo is a pretty awesome burger. Probably won't go there again unless I am ordering that burger.

The Game (next to Nana BTS between soi 9 & 11) is a good burger, but it has my favourite onion rings in BKK. Simply awesome. Friendly staff too and a nice place to watch sport. Could easily pass a few hours there eating the food and watching the TV.

Burger Factory in Ekkamai was a great burger for me; probably my favourite at the moment.

Oskars on soi 11 has a pretty great burger. It is more of a 'fancy burger' than a down and dirty kind (I would also put Burger Factory in this category). Nice and tasty though and a cool place to people watch on weekends

Right, I just checked out the Burger Factory on Sukhumvit 63, Soi 10 in Ekkamai.

That was a flippin' great burger!

Hit all the right spots and at the end of my soi, result!

I went for the house burger, their go-to burger.

They cook them medium, it wa done medium well which is perfect for a burger. The consistencey of the mince meat was right, something I thought was wrong at Fattys.

The bun was great - fresh, like a brioche influenced bun. So great burger, with cheese, two strips of very crispy bacon, some sort of burger sauce relish and also they put on the other bun a slightly spicy sauce which gives it a litle bit of heat but it really all works very well in combination.

The fries were good - better than Fatty's. Not the "best I've ever had" but perfectly good enough. A few more would have been nice but it wasn't under-average.

I ate it with my hands after compressing it all down - you HAVE to eat a burger with your hands, knife and fork just doesn't cut it (pun!)

It was very nice, I enjoyed every bite and took my time. Nice venue, nice staff. Good selection of beers and lots of global wines ranging from 750 - 2200 a bottle.

Bill for the house burger (comes with a side of your choice) and 1 Singha beer came to 450 baht ish.

So the burger is about 350. A supersized McDonalds in 210 so well worth going to!

I would recommend no problem and I will certainly go back. Not every day of course but a good place for a well made tasty burger.

EAT IT WITH YOUR HANDS!

Better than Fatty's... that's quite a statement. I had to check it out. The verdict? No way! It was okay, but nothing special, and certainly not worth the double price.

You are right about Fatty's fries, they are not the greatest, but the fries at Burger Factory aren't impressive either. At least at Fatty's you can pimp 'em with chili and cheese.

Fatty's reigns king of real American burgers IMHO, but if you're in the mood for a pricier, upscale option, 25 degrees in Silom is a better alternative. Plus, good fries.

Edited by shishafiesta
  • Like 1

What I found with Fatty's, with the actual burger, was that it was too dense, too compacted. I'm no burgeroligist but I've made some, and if you over knead the meat it goes from minced strands to mush. Dense mush. It's what separates a professional burger from just a plain home cooked one.

I feel the people who make the best burgers understand that you mustn't mush all the meat together, you must leave it "seperated". A light touch, as if whisking eggs for an omelette.

There is even a burger place in the UK which only lays the patties out, with the grain of the minced meat in a vertical elevation - so that your bite is algined with the direction the meat was minced in. Although a little OTT, I think there is a real science behind this!

And by science, I mean art. smile.png

I'll check out this place in Silom though.

What I found with Fatty's, with the actual burger, was that it was too dense, too compacted. I'm no burgeroligist but I've made some, and if you over knead the meat it goes from minced strands to mush. Dense mush. It's what separates a professional burger from just a plain home cooked one.

I feel the people who make the best burgers understand that you mustn't mush all the meat together, you must leave it "seperated". A light touch, as if whisking eggs for an omelette.

There is even a burger place in the UK which only lays the patties out, with the grain of the minced meat in a vertical elevation - so that your bite is algined with the direction the meat was minced in. Although a little OTT, I think there is a real science behind this!

And by science, I mean art. smile.png

I'll check out this place in Silom though.

I'm not sure where you are from but Americans do not use mince meat in burgers full stop. We use ground chuck, ground steak, ground beef etc.

Also, a real American burger will NEVER have an egg in it.

To an American palate, the thicker and denser the better.

Perhaps you should stick to your mince and kidney pies and leave the burgers to those who understand and appreciate itwai2.gif

Ground is the American term for the English word, minced.

Hamburger - Hamburg - Germany - Europe!

I stand by my claim - the "patty" is of a higher quality at Burger Factory in Ekkamai than at Fatty's on Rama IX.

Actually, as an American, when I hear the word minced, I think of more finely chopping something with a knife...

As the Merriam-Webster Dictionary puts it:

Definition of MINCE transitive verb
a : to cut or chop into very small pieces
b : to subdivide minutely; especially : to damage by cutting up

Or as Wikipedia says:

Mincing is a food preparation technique in which food ingredients are finely divided into uniform pieces.[1] Minced food is in smaller pieces than diced or chopped foods, and is often prepared with a chef's knife or food processor.[2][3]

Whereas American hamburger usually is put thru a grinding machine that puts out the ground meat in strings (kind of).

I'd say ground meat and minced meat aren't exactly the same... nor would they likely have the same texture for eating.

Minced meat hamburgers really isn't much of an American style thing.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Ground is the American term for the English word, minced.

Hamburger - Hamburg - Germany - Europe!

I stand by my claim - the "patty" is of a higher quality at Burger Factory in Ekkamai than at Fatty's on Rama IX.

No, it is not. Appears Tall guy got you "sorted" on that one, "mate"

If you like burger factory better, hats off to you, but make sure you have your facts straight when talking to Americans about burgersthumbsup.gif

We'll leave the spotty dicks and beans on toast to you guys though.....wai.gif

Now if you take that meat when it comes out, and lightly season it and lightly shape it, I feel you will get a superior burger than if you were to grab the meat in a handful and knead it like bread dough until it is a mush.

I feel the Fatty burger mince was mushed like this (as I always did when I have made burgers) but I believe the superior burger pattie will retain the distinct strands of meat as it was when it came out of the mincer/grinder.

Like I said though, I am no burgeroligist.

"Heinz Beanz were launched in 1901 as "Heinz Baked Beans" and were produced in the United States until 1928."

Baked Beans - Heinz - American!

Had a chance to swing by the 25 Degrees burger and breakfast place in the Silom area at the "Pullman Bangkok Hotel G" over the past few days and try a pair of the burgers -- first one of their fancy ones with assorted toppings and then to compare, a plain burger just with the included lettuce, tomato, fresh onion topping.

My verdict: while 25 Degrees offers decent burgers, I wasn't overly impressed for several different reasons, and they're not anything I'd be going out of my way to repeat. Basically, I didn't care for the taste of their beef advertised as ground sirloin (though I'm not sure why), I like my burgers char broiled and I didn't get any of that flavor, and at an advertised weight of 200g (.44 lbs), the burger actually left a feeling of too much beef in my mouth relative to the other ingredients, and my wife could barely get the burger into her mouth because it's built so tall/thick.

If you want to try one of their burgers, right now, they're advertising a Monday to Friday 11 am to 3 pm lunch special that includes your choice of one of their four featured menu burgers, a down-sized order of french fries and your choice of a soft drink or glass of draft beer, either Chang or Heineken. The menu price is 400b that with the tacked on 10% service charge and 7% VAT gets to total 470b.

post-58284-0-80975500-1373793966_thumb.j

Here's what their No. 3 burger looks like, being a burger topped with jack cheese, green chilis, avocado and what looked like a kind of thousand island sauce. It sounded good or at least intriguing on the menu. But when the burger arrived, for me, the different topping flavors all kind of mushed together into an indistinguishable paste, not to mention getting pretty slippery so the burger kept sliding out of the bun as I was trying to eat it.

post-58284-0-54308700-1373793967_thumb.j post-58284-0-19485000-1373793968_thumb.j

On my first visit for that meal, it was just after the main lunch hour and the female waitresses serving me were sharp, pleasant and efficient.

On my follow-up visit, a Saturday early afternoon, we drew a couple of male waiters and while they were pleasant, they weren't especially sharp or efficient. They took a long time to come to take our order, even though the restaurant wasn't very busy at the time, and then longer more to deliver an ordered 60b++ bottle of water to the table prior to our food that required a second request. And then finally, after the meal, after we had requested our check and paid, nothing came back to the table for a very long time. So finally, I had to get up and go over to the bar, where I found my bank card and charge slip receipt had been sitting forgotten in a glass (which is they way they deliver and return bills).

Anyway, the follow-up plain burger at 220b++ tasted about the same in terms of the beef and was sized the same in terms of the beef and the pretty thick bun as the prior one. The bun itself was toasted, still soft and had a nice flavor/tenture. The separate order of french fries at 80b++ was about double the portion size of that that came with the lunch special burger. While the plain burger wasn't nearly as messy and hard to handle as the fancy burger had been, my wife still could barely fit it into her mouth to bite, and believe me, her mouth isn't small. biggrin.png

post-58284-0-31764600-1373794787_thumb.j post-58284-0-56966600-1373794786_thumb.j

post-58284-0-07373900-1373794819_thumb.j

All in all, I wished for a different presentation of their beef in terms of the flavor, and definitely a thinner beef patty that not only would make their burgers easier to eat, but also provide a better balance between the beef in their burgers and all the other burger toppings/fixings.

One last thing: perhaps because 25 Degrees is located as part of the hotel (in a separate room with its entrance doors fronting onto Silom Road), they're actually operating around the clock, 24 hours. A few other farang places around BKK started out advertising that, but then weren't able to manage it. However, the staff at 25 Degrees assured me they really are open continuously, for whenever the burger bug bites.

Had a chance to swing by the 25 Degrees burger and breakfast place in the Silom area at the "Pullman Bangkok Hotel G" over the past few days and try a pair of the burgers -- first one of their fancy ones with assorted toppings and then to compare, a plain burger just with the included lettuce, tomato, fresh onion topping.

My verdict: while 25 Degrees offers decent burgers, I wasn't overly impressed for several different reasons, and they're not anything I'd be going out of my way to repeat. Basically, I didn't care for the taste of their beef advertised as ground sirloin (though I'm not sure why), I like my burgers char broiled and I didn't get any of that flavor, and at an advertised weight of 200g (.44 lbs), the burger actually left a feeling of too much beef in my mouth relative to the other ingredients, and my wife could barely get the burger into her mouth because it's built so tall/thick.

If you want to try one of their burgers, right now, they're advertising a Monday to Friday 11 am to 3 pm lunch special that includes your choice of one of their four featured menu burgers, a down-sized order of french fries and your choice of a soft drink or glass of draft beer, either Chang or Heineken. The menu price is 400b that with the tacked on 10% service charge and 7% VAT gets to total 470b.

attachicon.gifM-F Burger Lunch Special 400b++.jpg

Here's what their No. 3 burger looks like, being a burger topped with jack cheese, green chilis, avocado and what looked like a kind of thousand island sauce. It sounded good or at least intriguing on the menu. But when the burger arrived, for me, the different topping flavors all kind of mushed together into an indistinguishable paste, not to mention getting pretty slippery so the burger kept sliding out of the bun as I was trying to eat it.

attachicon.gifM-F Burger, Fries, Drink Lunch Special 400b++.jpg attachicon.gifNo 3 Burger Green Chili + Cheese + Avocado.jpg

On my first visit for that meal, it was just after the main lunch hour and the female waitresses serving me were sharp, pleasant and efficient.

On my follow-up visit, a Saturday early afternoon, we drew a couple of male waiters and while they were pleasant, they weren't especially sharp or efficient. They took a long time to come to take our order, even though the restaurant wasn't very busy at the time, and then longer more to deliver an ordered 60b++ bottle of water to the table prior to our food that required a second request. And then finally, after the meal, after we had requested our check and paid, nothing came back to the table for a very long time. So finally, I had to get up and go over to the bar, where I found my bank card and charge slip receipt had been sitting forgotten in a glass (which is they way they deliver and return bills).

Anyway, the follow-up plain burger at 220b++ tasted about the same in terms of the beef and was sized the same in terms of the beef and the pretty thick bun as the prior one. The bun itself was toasted, still soft and had a nice flavor/tenture. The separate order of french fries at 80b++ was about double the portion size of that that came with the lunch special burger. While the plain burger wasn't nearly as messy and hard to handle as the fancy burger had been, my wife still could barely fit it into her mouth to bite, and believe me, her mouth isn't small. biggrin.png

attachicon.gifRegular Sirloin Burger-220b++.jpg attachicon.gifRegular Sirloin Burger w Garnishes.jpg

attachicon.gifFrench Fries Order 80b++.jpg

All in all, I wished for a different presentation of their beef in terms of the flavor, and definitely a thinner beef patty that not only would make their burgers easier to eat, but also provide a better balance between the beef in their burgers and all the other burger toppings/fixings.

One last thing: perhaps because 25 Degrees is located as part of the hotel (in a separate room with its entrance doors fronting onto Silom Road), they're actually operating around the clock, 24 hours. A few other farang places around BKK started out advertising that, but then weren't able to manage it. However, the staff at 25 Degrees assured me they really are open continuously, for whenever the burger bug bites.

I probably won't rush to go there, but it is definitely a very good review! thumbsup.gifbiggrin.png

Edited by bergen

Bought a Groupon coupon for the Burger Buffet at L3 in the Le Fenix Hotel and went there today.

As far as hotel lunch buffets, this one was a little sparse, even if the quality was OK. But I was there for the burgers. They offer beef, pork, pork with cheese, mushroom, fish, chicken, and maybe one or two more.

These are tiny burgers, but that is OK as it is a buffet, after all. One nice thing was they had a toaster going so those who like toasted buns could run them through.

As to the burgers, well, the beef was just so-so, more of a European-style than an American style. When I hear "burgers," i think beef, so in this case, I think the restaurant fell a little short.

The fish burger was nice, even if it wasn't really a burger but more of a piece of battered fish. It would have been better with decent tartar sauce (I put on what looked like tartar sauce, but tasted weird.)

The pork burger was excellent. I had it first with the normal condiments, then I tried a Japanese-style sauce, almost a tonkatsu sauce. That was a pretty good choice.

The best burger, in my opinion, was the mushroom burger. It was frankly delicious. I couldn't believe it was meatless. I would love to order a full-size version (as it was, I ate five of them.) This could have been the best meatless burger I've ever had.

The bottom line is that the buffet was a nice change of pace from my normal Sunday Roast restaurants. The beef burger was somewhat weak, but that was more than overcome by the other burgers, especially the mushroom.

I realize this thread is about the beef variant of burgers, but I thought I would share this.

• 1 month later...

I won't nominate it for the "best burger" in Bangkok, but I was quite surprised the other day to be very pleasantly surprised by the 210b hamburger and fries I had at Sunrise Taco's Sukhumvit Soi 10 branch.

The burger patty and the bun were reasonably in balance and decently sized for eating, the burger came with the important nice touches of fresh sliced tomatoes, fresh lettuce leaves, and to my surprise, carmelized onions, which added a great flavor. Plus, the beef itself tasted good, and wasn't drowned in some oozing sauce.

In the past years, I've eaten at Sunrise quite a few times for a variety of their Mexican food offerings, which sometimes have been good, and sometimes not so good. But it never occurred to me to even try ordering a hamburger there. But my Thai wife tried one one day when I was having Mexican food, and it looked and tasted good for a bite, so I decided to try the entire order the next time we were there for myself.

And all in all, especially for the price, it's a pretty good hamburger, along with a good sized portion of average french fries.

Between 25 Degrees and Sunrise Tacos' burger -- based on taste, presentation and price -- to my surprise, I'd take Sunrise's burger.

post-58284-0-64465800-1377518040_thumb.j

But, if the judge of a burger is which place you choose to go back to time and time again for something, for me, Carl's Jr. gets my nod, and especially their jalapeno burger.

Since real pickles aren't so common here, the jalapenos for me add that right level of vinegary tang and a bit of spice to the burger, along with, once again, nicely done fresh tomato slices, fresh lettuce leaves, raw onion slices, and just a bit of sauce. The beef has a decently charred taste and the patty is sized in proportion to the bun and other ingredients, yielding the right balance of taste among everything.

And if you pick the combo selection, a decent order of french fries and all the soda or iced tea you can drink... All in all, a tasty good deal.

Definitely not the best burger in BKK I wouldn't think (not eaten enough here to know) but if you fancy something better than McDonalds (and cheaper too) then the bacon cheese burger or pork teriyaki burgers at Eat Am Are Steakhouse are decent enough.

95B for the bacon cheese and 79B for the pork I think. Comes with salad, fries (not many) and cheese bread.

The other stuff I've tried there hasn't been good.

Most of the Thai's I know love this place and there's 3 or 4 of them near where I live so often end up there.

Edited by TheSpade

I have to retract (or at least amend) my admiration for Carl's Jr. I have had nothing but great burgers at their Soi 22 (Davis Hotel) location and that still stands.

But last weekend, I stopped in at their Silom location and the burger was inedible. I don't know if the fry grease was bad or the patty itself, but I ended up tossing 3/4 of it in the bin.

Toppings, bun and fries were great, but that doesn't make up for an inedible patty.

I have to retract (or at least amend) my admiration for Carl's Jr. I have had nothing but great burgers at their Soi 22 (Davis Hotel) location and that still stands.

But last weekend, I stopped in at their Silom location and the burger was inedible. I don't know if the fry grease was bad or the patty itself, but I ended up tossing 3/4 of it in the bin.

Toppings, bun and fries were great, but that doesn't make up for an inedible patty.

I ate at the Silom location a couple weeks ago and it was just great (weekday). Maybe they had a bad cook working that day?

I ate at the Silom location a couple weeks ago and it was just great (weekday). Maybe they had a bad cook working that day?

I hope it's that simple. I'll try Silom again because it's on my way to a lot of places. I had read with disbelief some real trashing of Carl's by previous posters. Now I understand their posts.

If this were the USA, I'd have asked the manager for a refund, but I was afraid some irate fry cook with a blade would jump over the counter here...

I've had generally good experienced with the Silom location, although these days I'm using one of their other branches.

But during the time I was still using Silom regularly, I got consistently good food...except for one Sunday I went there for lunch during a very not busy time and got what seemed like a very stale burger.

I chalked it up to likely having been an issue of not having their regular cooks or staff there on a Sunday.. But I'm just guessing on that point.

But Impulse mentioned his bad experience also occurred on a weekend.

These days, I'm a pretty regular weekend customer at one of their other branches, and haven't had any repeats of that bad experience at Silom.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Went to Firehouse yesterday for first time after hearing their burgers were the best in BKK.

Ordered a NY Deli burger that comes with pastrami, cheese and salad. The mustard (I like mustard generally) they use on it is either far too strong (or they put too much on) or it's actually horseradish / wasabi because it gave me that horrible sensation I only get from horseradish / wasabi where my nose, throat and mouth go all funny. I don't like it.

Ruined my burger for me which was otherwise good. Should have gone for the pulled pork sandwich or a different burger!

The potato wedges were really good. Tried the pork ribs and they were OK but the person I was with who had ordered them said she wasn't impressed.

Didn't like the chicken wings much. The seasoning / sauce they are done in (seems like a Jack Daniels based sauce to me?) had that sort of stale alcohol taste bottles of JD BBQ sauce tend to get when it's been open a while.

They are the only bar and restaurant I know who abides by the law about not serving alcohol between 2pm and 5pm. Really want a Caipirinha.

Haven't eaten one in the BKK branch but the ones in the UK serve huge burgers. It's about as big as my head and near impossible to eat without making a mess. The tomato slices they put on ut must be genetically modified as I've never seen a tomato even half that big.