Super moon monsoon rip current takes another life in Phuket

Lite Beer

Super moon monsoon rip current takes another life in Phuket
Phuket Gazette -

phuketnews_Tourists_watch_as_a_lifeguard
Tourists watch as a lifeguard on Kata Noi Beach swims out to check on a swimmer struggling in the super moon currents. Photo: Isaac Simonelli

PHUKET: Rescue workers today recovered the body of an 18-year-old who was caught in one of the strong rip currents caused by the super moon that is bringing chaos to Phuket’s beaches.

“The moon is as close to the Earth as it will be this year, which causes more dramatic changes between high tide and low tide, resulting in faster and stronger currents,” Phuket Lifeguard Club President Prathaiyut Chuayuan told the Phuket Gazette. “The effects of the super moon combined with the monsoon season is causing very dangerous conditions for swimming [story here]."

These stronger-than-normal monsoon rip currents pulled Peerapol Nunak, 18, out to sea after he was hit by a big wave at Layan Beach yesterday evening.

Kusoldharm rescue divers, lifeguards and about 50 others on the beach fruitlessly searched for Mr Peerapol last night.

“We found Mr Peerapol’s mother in tears at the beach,” a rescue worker said. “His stepfather told us that Mr Peerapol and six friends had ignored the red warning flags on the beach and gone swimming.

“His friends were able to swim back to shore, but my son was caught up in the waves,” Thawat Penjan, Mr Peerapol’s stepfather, said. “I heard my son crying out for help – a second later he was dragged out by a wave and disappeared.”

Lifeguards searched for Mr Peerapol’s body by jet-ski this morning, after having to give up the search last night.

His body was recovered 200 to 300 meters offshore in the area where he had gone missing yesterday, and pulled from the water at the far end of the beach where tourists would not see it, said the rescue worker.

Additional reporting: Irfarn Jumdukor

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Super-moon-monsoon-rip-current-takes-another-life-in-Phuket-21430.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-06-24

And the water level is very high. During our walk along Kata beach at 08.30 this morning I was remarking on how high the water was eroding the sand. And high tide was at 11.00. Also remarked on a number of families playing in the white water surf. These people have no idea of the danger they are placing themselves and their children in. I fear the drowning toll will rise.

• Like 1

A lot more people are actually drowned than is reported, this being bad for the tourism industry. Karon Beach is particularly bad, and after being taken out on a rip there (before the emergence of red flags) I sailed out at least a mile and thought "This is it, goodbye world" but somehow managed to make it back, where I was told by a local that sometimes 2 to 3 people a day went out and didn,t come back ! The red flags are there for a very good reason, but codolences to the family. From personal knowledge it is a very lonely way to go.

A lot more people are actually drowned than is reported, this being bad for the tourism industry. Karon Beach is particularly bad, and after being taken out on a rip there (before the emergence of red flags) I sailed out at least a mile and thought "This is it, goodbye world" but somehow managed to make it back, where I was told by a local that sometimes 2 to 3 people a day went out and didn,t come back ! The red flags are there for a very good reason, but codolences to the family. From personal knowledge it is a very lonely way to go.

There is a way to try to get out if such a tide. You must swim across not against the tide. I am so sorry for their loss. I was long ago stationed in Guam, a diver!

• Like 2

No comment about the rapid change in lunar-Earth distance, since closest approach is always preceded by apogee by about two weeks, seems the spokesman is regurgitating what he read in the weather forecast rather than understanding the bigger picture.

To see the annual dates for the lunar perigee and apogee each year try this helpful site: http://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/moon/distance.html?year=2013&n=0

If caught in a rip current, do not swim against itback to shore. Slowly without panic make your way parallel to the shore. When you see foamy crested waves swim in and use the waves to glide surf into shore. Easier in theory then practice, however if you remember this, you up your chances by 80% of not drowning.

You're honoring your name, phantom.

If caught in a rip current, do not swim against itback to shore. Slowly without panic make your way parallel to the shore. When you see foamy crested waves swim in and use the waves to glide surf into shore. Easier in theory then practice, however if you remember this, you up your chances by 80% of not drowning.

It all depends how good a swimmer you are and how good you are at keeping your head cool. I have been pulled away during some snorkeling but with snorkeling gear on its all so much easier and im a good swimmer. So i just waited for the current to loose its power and then swam an other way back. Not fun but not deadly either. I was more worried about my family following me and getting into trouble then I was about myself as I was confident about it.

Why would anybody wants to swim in rough sea?

Because it's fun. Swimming in a calm sea is boring, might as well be in a swimming pool.

BUT....You need to be an accomplished swimmer and, especially, in a rough sea never swim alone. If it is an uncrowded/empty beach make sure someone knows where you are and when you expect to return.

If you do get caught in a rip know what do do. As said swim across it not against it.